Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 2

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Even if its true, Bryan Singer won't reveal it until next year or after the movie is released. Right now, its too early to confirm which new characters are going to be in the movie.

2. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I read it to mean that there is no physical time travel.

3. georgec

georgec Not a hero

It was a playful comment - don't take the internet so seriously. :cwink:

4. JP

JP Smelly

Singer has been saying "a form" of time travel for a while now. I highly doubt it's going to be a cut and past as a physical time travel.

5. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

LOL. I don't.

6. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I dont know. I'm far from a science expert but that quote doesnt really make sense to me, I believe time displacement is still considered a form of physical time travel. Could be like a portal somone passes through or anything really. Even for groups of people. Thought it meant kinda more accidental or like a one way ticket type incident that changes the old to new. I'm looking to much into it haha and don't know enough about that stuff.

I think they will do the mind transfer thing myself.

7. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

That's what I believe too, so I'm not sure why Singer's making the distinction:huh:

8. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he used the wrong words. Or is extremely limited on what he can hint at cause those are basically the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  9. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

An X-Men film with Apocalypse as the main villain would be awesome. But I don't necessarily want a straight "Age of Apocalypse" adaptation with more time travel, Xavier dead etc.

10. JP

JP Smelly

I think they're gonna stick to the mind transfer like in the comic and in the last animated series. Not a physical travel, and goes in line with what Singer said about

11. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

If Xavier has an ability to literally transport physical matter, why wouldn't he just move everyone out of the jet into safety when the dam was breaking down? Without the need for Jean to sacrifice herself? And if it's visions, then I'd assume that the vision of the team would just be in the President's head, rather than some actual apparition that anyone would be able to see and which could actually impact the physical world.

I'd think that going through a portal would be pretty straightforward time travel, actually.

I've no idea what time displacement means; maybe it's about finding yourself in the wrong time without having physically time-travelled, and maybe without intending to?

12. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Time displacement is time travel though. So traveling through a portal say Evil Dead 2 or Army Of Darkness style would still be considered time displacement. It doesn't limit to physical or portal travel or anything like that. Both could be anything. At least from what I've looked up and seen in films, nothing has said time displacement is non physical time travel.

In Terminator they use equipment thats even called TDE (Time Displacement Equipment) that allows living things to be sent back.

13. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

I guess we just don't know what time displacement means to Singer.

But if he's using "time displacement" to somehow differentiate it from "time travel", it could be that he means non-physical time travel simply because that's the most common depiction of time travel in fiction.

14. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I agree, I think that was what he intended. Could mean alot of things though. Time displacement doesn't limit physical things from going back. Thats not its definition or rule. Like you said, we don't know what his personal definition could mean.

In the case of Terminator I know it's a one way trip there, so maybe that means something too. Your stuck once you go back.

15. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Displacement sounds to me like one or more characters find themselves swept into the past or future.

Travel sounds like a deliberate choice or action (like stepping into a time machine), whereas displacement could happen to people without them having direct control over it.

I love the mystery (although I'd love to know what is actually going to happen) and I love it that we can't just figure it all out easily.

16. X-Maniac

I don't think Xavier physically transported everyone into the Oval Office. He froze people's minds (like he did in the museum) so the X-Men could arrive and leave without anyone knowing (just as they left the museum before everyone else returned to normal).

Xavier does not have mind over matter powers. His consciousness isn't matter, it's his 'soul'. It was astral projection.

17. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Well-Known Member

Yeah I never got the impression that Xavier physically transported the group into the Oval office, just used the appropriate mental trickery needed for them to slip in and out unnoticed.

18. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

19. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

20. Nave 'Torment'

Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

I'm not either. Call be racist against blue furries but I think Nightcrawler's extended role as the caring guy for the Time Traveler / awkward Danger Room player will be assigned to our own Hoult from FC. He has a strong hand in constructing the Danger Room, ergo his role most likely not have him participate so much in the actual simulation -- so one misstep of his (Nightcrawler messes up on operating duty in the comics) leads to this entire temporal anomaly. Beast making a techincal mistake is itself an anomaly.

I don't know what I'm saying anymore I'm just trying to sound convincing that Nightcrawler's absence will be filled in by Beast. :oldrazz:

Same here. Scott, Jean, Ororo, Beast -- the only 2 missing would be Angel and Ice-Man. Damn it.

21. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

They could have another movie with Scott, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel. Totally. Set in the alternate X4 universe...

22. Nave 'Torment'

Nave 'Torment' Vigilante Detective

For all we know, it could lead up to that, yes.

I personally don't want them to be lazy about the continuity parallels though. It shouldn't simply end with an entirely new canvas left for yet another FC movie to be made.

What could the future of the franchise look like?

Right now we have 3 running series:

X1, X2, X3
    Wolverine Origins, The Wolverine
    And FC

if things stick to one continuity it'd mean
    X4,
    another stand-alone character piece
    FC 2

Ideally speaking, Days of Future Past is essentially bringing those three into one movie. So it is X4, FC 2 and Wolverine 3.

23. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

Essentially. Then we can have another solo FC and and "X4" sequel, maybe Fantastic Four and then lead into another crossover. Age of Apocalypse? Maybe DOFP will open a new franchise set in the far future with Cable and Bishop or something too.

I don't see Wolverine appearing again until another X-Men movie. Unless The Wolverine introduces Daken or X-23 or a whole mess of new stories to take his own series...

24. phoenix77

phoenix77 Member

wolverine could be used in the Avengers movies as well, so that we could have more chance to see a longer time on the screen the other mutants in the next x-men movies.

25. X-Maniac

I'm not sure that Fox would let its Wolverine off the lead to go Avenging...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.