DC Universe - Justice League vs. The Fatal Five (2019)

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Pfeiffer-Pfan, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Slick

Slick Yup

Currently doing a DCAU rewatch on DCU and I’m on BM:TAS can’t wait to get to JLU. Hearing that theme in the clip brought back memories tho.

#76 Slick, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Astounding... I seriously loved every minute of it. Seeing the old art style, hearing the musical motifs and the classic voices plays a big part. But make no mistake, it's the story that really makes this one sing.

I completely feel in love with Jessica and Thomas. Their personal battles anchors the movie and gives it a great deal of heart. Both voice actors were perfectly cast as well.

I'll be so disappointed if this thing doesn't sell. It's one of the best DTV's (top three for in this line for sure) they have ever done and you can't bring the DCAU back like this only to have it yanked from us again. Right?

Rorschach2012 likes this.
  3. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Do the trinity get plenty to do?

4. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

They do... it's a true ensemble, but they each get their own badass moment.

Superman is written so well, and gets to highlight a few emotional moments.

BH/HHH likes this.
  5. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Awesome!!! Didn’t know know released already I’ll be watching this today for sure. Hopefully we continue to get more DCAU revivals

6. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Awesome, I'll hopefully get to watching this sometime this week.

7. WhoMani

WhoMani Registered

I can't wait to check out this movie sometime this week and I will defintely pay for it. Hopefully it sells well and that we get more DCAU movies in the near future.

8. jondoe

jondoe Registered

It was alright. A solid 7. Like a great lost ep or a tie in movie to JLU.

For Me, this got overshadowed by My excitement for BATMAN HUSH!

9. s72450

s72450 Registered

I liked it overall. I do think they were a bit heavy handed with Star Boy and his issues, but I absolutely loved Jessica Cruz. I want more movies around her, heck make her a part of the DCU and bring her in as a Lantern. I loved everything about the character, from her tragic background to her anxiety issues. I feel like she was very relatable.

Honestly could have cared less about the Trinity outside the fun interaction between Batman and Miss Martian. I loved when she morphed into Robin, that was hilarious.

frankgutz likes this.
  10. Grommers

Grommers King Grommers

This was unexpectedly better than I expected.

I don't know if this kind of story that's been done for with super heroes dealing with mental illnesses but thought this was a brilliant way to deal with it.

11. DCnightwing23

DCnightwing23 Registered

Watched this last night. Such a good movie. Loved seeing the JLU team back in their respective roles. This was definitely a "love letter" so to speak, for the JLU fans.

Starboy and Jessica Cruz were portrayed so well, although admittedly I did have some issues with Jessica near the end of the film.

Loved the subtle nod to All-Star Superman near the end.

This just got me really wanting a revival of JLU and that whole team in a mini-series format, for sure. Come on WB, make it happen.

Also, they have to work on some Legion of Superheroes stuff in animation. There's so much potential there.

Do you guys know what their next animated movie is? Do they have an announced upcoming slate?

12. Rorschach2012

I loved it and hope to god they make more in the DCAU continuity. So much better than the universe they’ve been doing lately.

Super cool to see Guy Gardner in the JLU style!

WhoMani and Pfeiffer-Pfan like this.
  13. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

14. Rorschach2012

Good lord, they're going to revive Justice League: TAS aren't they? Bring it tf on.

The DCAU is the best thing DC has ever created IMO.

Batmannerism likes this.
  15. DCnightwing23

DCnightwing23 Registered

I had a feeling they would after seeing the team back in this movie. My hope is that there is a concise story that spans the length of 1-2 seasons. A beginning to end. A compelling story with twists.

We'll see what the eventually announce for the streaming service.

16. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Registered

I dunno. Considering Beyond exists and they ended up jumping even farther forward into the future with Epilogue, I can’t say I’m very interested in what would essentially be a prequel series.

17. WhoMani

WhoMani Registered

I watched the movie a few days ago and first impression is that its a solid movie as it feels like another JLU episode. Honestly the movie made me go back and watch some old Justice League episodes, they're still great. I can see them possibly doing another Justice League series on the DC streaming service but it all depends on the sales of Fatal Five, let's hope it sells well. But I think its more likely that we will just another DCAU movie than a show that's set in the DCAU.

Batmannerism likes this.
  18. 3rdstone

3rdstone Original Manhunter

This was great IMHO! So nice to see the classic animation design again, and so many DC characters they managed to put in here, even in minor roles. And without it being messy.

The Fatal Five were powerful antagonists (loved them as a kid reading Legion stories), and there was some seriously great fights. Jessica Cruz was of course the stand out (I definitely want to see more of her), but I loved to also see heroes like Mr Terrific in action.

Batmannerism likes this.
  19. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

This was such a boring movie. Should have acted as an episode of JLU placed in the middle of a season somewhere rather than a stand alone movie

20. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I enjoyed it but Jessica Cruz's character is so tied to Power Ring that taking out that origin and aspect of the character doesn't make that much sense as to how she'd get a lantern ring not to mention why we have our 5th Earth Lantern.

21. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

This was ok, but I really wish future Timmverse JL films didnt have to depend on sales for this one. This wasn't exactly the JL reunion many have been clamoring for. Most of the Big 7 don't show up, and the three that do are ultimately supporting players for Jessica and Star Boy.

22. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

It's a shame this didn't start out as a proper JLU/Timmverse production. I feel Timm would have done alot differently.

I love the movie, but there is no denying you can see the seams.

The Batman likes this.
  23. Lantern Venom

Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I was very surprised at how effectively Jessica was utilized in this film. When I first heard that she was going to be used, I suspected that she would just be rotated in with no fanfare like John Stewart in Justice League Dark. Instead, the narrative not only engaged her as a unique character, but it adapted her backstory closely from the source material. She really shined, no pun intended.

I was marginally disappointed with the regression to the JLU character designs. They were thankfully updated, but we were still subjected to artistic choices like Batman's brick chin and giant fox ears, not to mention that Jessica's hair looked like drapes. However, some of the power effects like the energy blasts from Validus and the antimatter touch from Mano were extremely well done. I hope the DC animated movies don't keep using modified Timmverse designs, but if the stories are as good as this one, I can certainly overlook them.

frankgutz likes this.
  24. WhoMani

WhoMani Registered

I wish we saw more of WW, Batman and Superman in this movie. I can understand why they were sidelined as the writers/producers were focused on establishing Jessica Cruz and exploring Star Boy's mental health. If there is another JLU type movie then I hope we see the Big 7.

25. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Might have to give this a look.

Really enjoyed Justice League Dark, Justice League DOOM, Justice League Crisis On Two Earths, Throne of Atlantis and Flashpoint.