DC Universe - Justice League vs. The Fatal Five (2019)

Good lord, they're going to revive Justice League: TAS aren't they? Bring it tf on.

The DCAU is the best thing DC has ever created IMO.

Totally agree, even now JL TAS is great fun.
I love the MCU but none of the Marvel animated stuff comes close to the DCAU - especially TBATB !

I watched the movie a few days ago and first impression is that its a solid movie as it feels like another JLU episode. Honestly the movie made me go back and watch some old Justice League episodes, they're still great. I can see them possibly doing another Justice League series on the DC streaming service but it all depends on the sales of Fatal Five, let's hope it sells well. But I think its more likely that we will just another DCAU movie than a show that's set in the DCAU.

As above, totally agree that JL TAS holds up brilliantly.

Might have to give this a look.

Really enjoyed Justice League Dark, Justice League DOOM, Justice League Crisis On Two Earths, Throne of Atlantis and Flashpoint.

If you liked those, you may find JL v FF is a bit of a throwback but still great fun.

I love the MCU but none of the Marvel animated stuff comes close to the DCAU - especially TBATB !

If you liked those, you may find JL v FF is a bit of a throwback but still great fun.

Yeah I actually might do usually enjoy the Justice League animated films. Who is the female lantern and the dude in the black sparkly costume?

Good lord, they're going to revive Justice League: TAS aren't they? Bring it tf on.

The DCAU is the best thing DC has ever created IMO.

I watched the movie a few days ago and first impression is that its a solid movie as it feels like another JLU episode. Honestly the movie made me go back and watch some old Justice League episodes, they're still great. I can see them possibly doing another Justice League series on the DC streaming service but it all depends on the sales of Fatal Five, let's hope it sells well. But I think its more likely that we will just another DCAU movie than a show that's set in the DCAU.

Might have to give this a look.

Really enjoyed Justice League Dark, Justice League DOOM, Justice League Crisis On Two Earths, Throne of Atlantis and Flashpoint.

Yeah I actually might do usually enjoy the Justice League animated films. Who is the female lantern and the dude in the black sparkly costume?

The female lantern is Jessica Cruz - she's feisty but also has a bunch of issues.

The Sparkly dude is Star Boy, legionnaire from the future (Legion of superheroes) who has mental health issues as well, quite serious ones.

It's a bit like JL v FF is the film where DC tackles me ntal health - it's reasonably sensitive, but I'm not sure that TAS is the best format for dealing with such a serious issue.

This is an average movie. Villains motivations are non-existent aside from wanting to be evil and free one of the two captured members of their team.
Her retrieving her weapon after being disconnected from it in another era pushes the envelope of nonsensical storytelling to great heights, and it's a shame given how this movie was shaping up to be a solid entry up until they released Empress.

This is an average movie. Villains motivations are non-existent aside from wanting to be evil and free one of the two captured members of their team.
Her retrieving her weapon after being disconnected from it in another era pushes the envelope of nonsensical storytelling to great heights, and it's a shame given how this movie was shaping up to be a solid entry up until they released Empress.

Dude, this was more about Jessica Cruz overcoming her issues - the villains were really just a plot device, and the Fatal 5 usually are just about being evil or trying to take over the universe or a combination of both, they're not a group that has ever had much motivation. I watched a JL cartoon this morning, where Grodd assembled a new Secret Society of Supervillains and exposed all the internal squabbles of the JL - it's ridiculous, but what it's really about is the JL and the fact that as people they don't actually gel that well.

As far as nonsensical storytelling - check out Batman:Ninja , it's somewhat entertaining although the story gets pretty ridiculous in the 2nd half of the film (
it turns into a Voltron or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, just with Batman characters
. Not sure if there's a thread about it, if there isn't there should be.

However, I wonder if that's more about the anime genre having certain storytelling conventions that are different from the Western storytelling style that is usually applied in cbm - and me not appreciating those conventions. As a kid I used to watch StarBlazers, Robotech, Force Five and whatever Japanese cartoons were on TV - because the art was so far ahead of north American cartoons.

Anyway, I disagree with you on the quality of this film. It's not the pinnacle of DCAU, fair enough, but it's also better than average IMO.

Dude, this was more about Jessica Cruz overcoming her issues - the villains were really just a plot device, and the Fatal 5 usually are just about being evil or trying to take over the universe or a combination of both, they're not a group that has ever had much motivation. I watched a JL cartoon this morning, where Grodd assembled a new Secret Society of Supervillains and exposed all the internal squabbles of the JL - it's ridiculous, but what it's really about is the JL and the fact that as people they don't actually gel that well.
This make it seems more like a misleading title, more misleading than making the main title of Flashpoint Paradox as the subtitle to Justice League.
And it sounds like Legion of Superheroes title is marked for average motivation and writing when it comes to villains.

I think when I reviewed the Justice League animated series I found that arc to be on the mediocre side of things.

As far as nonsensical storytelling - check out Batman:Ninja , it's somewhat entertaining although the story gets pretty ridiculous in the 2nd half of the film (
it turns into a Voltron or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, just with Batman characters
. Not sure if there's a thread about it, if there isn't there should be.
Checked that movie, hated it.
Anime is a medium, not a genre.

This make it seems more like a misleading title, more misleading than making the main title of Flashpoint Paradox as the subtitle to Justice League.
And it sounds like Legion of Superheroes title is marked for average motivation and writing when it comes to villains.

I think when I reviewed the Justice League animated series I found that arc to be on the mediocre side of things.

Checked that movie, hated it.
Anime is a medium, not a genre.

Now I would agree that Batman:Ninja has...

1) a misleading title;
2), convenient storytelling to the point of laziness;
3) Utterly nonexistent character arcs, motivations or anything really except for Batman and the Joker.
4) A bizarre second half that makes pretty much no sense.

But if you can get past that it's okay. What's a bit sad is that the original premise has lots of potential for great stories and an interesting take on the Bat-characters. You're right, anime is a medium - what genre this film was is a but unclear.

Back to Fatal 5, other than Empress, Mano and sometimes Tharok the 5 aren't a particularly complex bunch. Validus is a giant mutant monster who shoots lightning from his brain and smashes stuff. Persuader is a psycho who likes cutting stuff with his axe, and that's about it.

There was a Teen Titans/Legion cross over where the Five use the axe to cut holes in the multimeter so that they can team up with alternate versions of themselves becoming the Fatal 500. That's about as deep as it gets - but given that the Justice League is headed by a crime fighting Amazon swimsuit model and 2 guys who wear their underwear over their tights I don't think we can expect a great deal of depth - good storytelling, sure, but deep motivations ? I suggest that Jessica Cruz's arc is as deep as JL stories get.

On that note this was a very violent, and somewhat disturbing film ( e.g. Jessica's flashback trauma) - which felt a bit out of place with the league regulars at times.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"