Wednesday Comics- DC's next weekly series

Oh, well damn I was off. Wasn't Superboy, Kid Flash and Cyborg at least there, too?

Yeah, just re-read it. What I was thinking of was, I guess, kind of a TT's of the past type of deal at the beginning. Sorry Corp, Eagle is right

where are you guys finding all the "non" superman stories?

The first issue was released yesterday in comic stores. It includes the Superman story seen in USA Today and all the others we've been discussing

The first issue was released yesterday in comic stores. It includes the Superman story seen in USA Today and all the others we've been discussing
you mean I have to pay money? gross....

Yep, $3.99 for 15 strips similar to the Superman one in a newspaper-ish format

It's over priced at $3.99 but I still enjoyed it a lot and in fairness, the talent is good, there is only ONE ad in the whole thing, and it is possible DC paid a bit extra to get it produced due to the unusual format...

A quick sum up of what I thought of each strip within:

Batman - I'm not the biggest Batman fan. He's kind of a victim of his own success and I guess I'm a tad burnt out on him. However, I liked this, and given the hurdle it had to overcome, that's impressive. Gordan was spot on and the set up and cliffhanger was quite good.

Kamandi - This definitely felt like a prince valiant or Phantom strip in style, though obviously the setting is centuries away from that. I'm not as into the character as many others, but this could be good. Too soon to really say, but it set it up nicely.

Superman - The art was amazing. Seriously, the expression on Superman's face in the last panel just came alive for me. The story isn't bad, and you have to feel for Superman's frustrations.

Deadman - I'm a fan of Boston, so maybe my bias colored this, but I enjoyed this one a great deal. They had to explain him , but he's hardly the best known guy so I didn't mind. I'm just glad he's getting some air time. This felt pretty gothic pulp to me.

Green Lantern - Very "New Frontier" and that is not a bad thing. While Hal only appears in the last panel, this introduces the supporting cast and lets you know where many of them stand right away.

Metamorpho - This was the one I had heard others raving about, but I thought it was merely 'ok'. It's too soon to dismiss it, but I guess I set my expectations too high because the story didn't snag me at all.

Teen Titans - The first one I actively DIDN'T like the art on. Between it and the story, it felt like fan fic about the Teen Titans cartoon not so long ago. I kept expecting to hear Japanese teeny boppers singing in the background. This one is not for me.

Adam Strange - Very old school space pulp, and I admit, I smiled at Strange's commentary on the invading aliens. This could be fun in small doses, and of course, small doses is what a strip does.

Supergirl - Puppies! This was just too freaking adorable for words.

Metal Men - I loved it. The characterization was clear to the point where I think newcomers will grasp the team niches pretty quickly. This one was light hearted and fun, and I laughed. The art , especially facial expressions, was nice and well coordinated (Notice the line up of them in human guise matches the 'head role call' above). The story is a good fun intro and I don't often say this, but good job Didio! This is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Wonder Woman - I've read it three times, and I'm still going "WTF?" The art was cramped, the font hard to read, and "Wonder Woman" came across more like "Anime Amazon Girl". I hate to say this, but worst of the lot.

Sgt. Rock - I've read old Sgt. Rock comic books... this is very true to them. Whether you like that or not depends if you like Warcomics set in WW2.

Flash /Iris- Intriguing. What could have been more straight forward was split into two, and is the most soap opera like of the strips. Proof that marriages are not 'smooth sailing' even in hero land can be found here.

The Demon & Catwoman - I love me some Etrigan, but am not that big a Catwoman fan. Nevertheless, I think the mix could end up working. The way the two characters are introduced makes sense, and the story is moving along leaving me curious about more. Good job.

Hawkman - I loved the artwork. The shot of Hawkman among "his flock" is so full of win I want it as a poster. This strip was Golden Age surrealism at its finest, and unashamedly so. This one is JUST under the Metal Men for me.

The writing is far harder to judge for all of these because, each strip only has so much room to let them strut their stuff, while the artists' talents are readily apparent. Still, kudos to D.C. for trying something new, or maybe it's trying something nostalgic? Either way, pretty darn good start for a bold experiment.

I'm going to read the first issue in a sec, but I've already decided I won't be picking up any more. Can't afford to plunk down that kind of money every week. It's a great novelty though. I applaud DC for it.

$3.99 may have been a bit much, but on the other hand, printing this thing must have been a b****, and there was only a single ad in the entire thing. That's not too shabby.

I'm just going to pick it up whenever I have the money. I don't really feel the need to have every one and they're going to release a TPB so I'll read it collected.

I know, but even then I imagine the one page per week (or rather, four pages a month) dealio is going to grate on me. It kind of already did, although I pretty much really liked everything I read.

I might pick up whatever collected edition they put out after it's all done. There is a lot of great art and, while I'm not particularly interested in out of continuity stories as a rule, I could always do with some more Metamorpho, Metal Men, and Deadman.

presume it would be collected like an absolute.

The reception to this, at least in England, has been huge it's selling out everywhere. My comic shop didn't expect it to be this popular at all and have put it on reorder.

I suspect it sold out at my shop as well. I didn't see any copies when I went in, although I wasn't really looking because I forgot it started this week.

I have to say I did really enjoy reading it on the train this morning.

Surrounded by everyone else reading normal newspapers and there's me with this comic. Was fun :D

I have to say I did really enjoy reading it on the train this morning.

Surrounded by everyone else reading normal newspapers and there's me with this comic. Was fun :D

Ok, that appeals to my sense of the whimsical.

I suspect it sold out at my shop as well. I didn't see any copies when I went in, although I wasn't really looking because I forgot it started this week.

Sold out at my shop by 5 when i got there to pick up my order...had it put aside for me...

I enjoyed it...thought it was neat...but I could do with it being a dollar cheaper...strangely this week I had more 2.99's then 3.99's which is very unusual...

Deadman, Demon and Catwoman, Metamorpho, and Metal Men interest me the most.

this sold out at my shop, and i was there by like 2:30. more surprising, they also sold out of green arrow/black canary. WTF?

Mine didn't sell out on Thursday, but the shop owner said he sold more then he was expecting to sell in such a short time. Might have sold out by now

I really only want Bermejo's stuff, so I dunno if I'd buy a huge collected edition. :(

It would be awesome if DC setup a customized Wednesday Comic edition. You could order what version you want and pay accordingly.

I remember seeing a story about a company doing that with an Obama campaign memorabilia book. You could get a customized version for your coffee table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"