Deadpool Deadpool News and Discussion - Part 4

That could have mirrored Silverfox in Origins, actually. I'm shocked they didn't want to have any similar plot elements to that film. Simply shocked.

Honestly, the love story was the backbone of the movie. I'm glad they threw that out.

My personal theory is she is already mutant like rest of X-mens, unlike Wade who was needed to be given a serum. And blonde hair "extensions" are just a part of a nod on that by directors what she will become. Maybe she doesnt know about it, but could be that torture decide just unlocked (fasten progress to) her Copycat powers.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but the serum didn't give Wade his mutant powers or X gene. Wade was essentially already a mutant in thee movie, just that his X gene was essentially dormant. The serum and the torture both were what were needed to activate it. Which is a change from the comics where he's a human given Wolverine's healing factor. Vanessa having a dormant X gene would be no different. Not to mention she spent mere moments in the device without air before Deadpool threw his sword into the glass to let her breathe.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but the serum didn't give Wade his mutant powers or X gene. Wade was essentially already a mutant in thee movie, just that his X gene was essentially dormant. The serum and the torture both were what were needed to activate it. Which is a change from the comics where he's a human given Wolverine's healing factor. Vanessa having a dormant X gene would be no different. Not to mention she spent mere moments in the device without air before Deadpool threw his sword into the glass to let her breathe.

Nope. He wasn't. He was a human. The serum was injected to activate mutant genes in a human body. They could've chosen you, and the serum would have activated mutant genes in your body.

Concept art.

Other concept.

deadpool-costume-design-jjs-1-800-172002.jpg

deadpool-costume-callouts-1a-800-172008.jpg

deadpool-costume-design-jjs-2-800-172001.jpg

deadpool-test-2-800-172000.jpg

deadpool-test-4-800-171999.jpg

deadpool-test-5-800-171997.jpg

joshua-james-shaw-deadpool-ryan-reynolds-sks-1-171996.jpg

deadpoolcgimodeling-172007.jpg

deadpool-ale-b-800-172003.jpg

joshua-james-shaw-angeldustvscolosuss-jjs-2012-5000-171998.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics, cant have a single word of complaint over any of the designs they picked in the end for the film. NTW looks like they went with the best of the lot, its perfect X-Men outfit. DP we knew from early days it was going to be pretty much perfect.

I do wonder whether they will change it for the sequel or not.

Nope. He wasn't. He was a human. The serum was injected to activate mutant genes in a human body. They could've chosen you, and the serum would have activated mutant genes in your body.

You realise that's not a contradiction. Activate does not mean inject or add something that wasn't there. Unless they say somewhere they added a mutant gene Wade already had one. Therefore he was essentially a mutant with a dormant gene. As far as I recall having the x gene in the x-men lore means you're a mutant. Not that everyone has the x gene.

Last edited:
I think he meant everyone has the gene but it may lay dormant and only comes out on certain people or in Wilsons case it was forced out.

I think that's what he's saying, but that would seem to me a change in the lore if the movie is saying that everyone has it, yet you're only a mutant if it's activated. Which would take away some of the significance of being a mutant because they're meant to be genetically different (homo superior) and not just have a gene that everyone possesses turned on.

That was something that did confuse me a bit though. I can get a shadowy organisation knowing Wade's military background, but I wondered how's they knew he had a mutant gene.

Wade's not special or a mutant. They simply said that the injections activate mutant cells. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you already have it, rather that by injecting the serum, the body produces a mutant gene. I wouldn't read too much into it. It's pretty clear in the movie that Wade is a regular human being.

Wade's not special or a mutant. They simply said that the injections activate mutant cells. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you already have it, rather that by injecting the serum, the body produces a mutant gene. I wouldn't read too much into it. It's pretty clear in the movie that Wade is a regular human being.

They forced a mutation by using the serum + torture to activate dormant mutant genes. If the subject didn't have dormant mutant genes then the torture would eventually kill them (as said by Francis). Wade is a mutant.

Francis' exacts words are. "I'm injecting you with a serum that activates any mutant genes lurking in your DNA." This is one of my few nitpicks I had with the Movie, I don't like that Wade just got injected with a Serum, and got random healing powers. The way they make it sound, he could have randomly gotten laser powers, because the treatment affects everyone differently. And then he would have probably still died, because it wouldn't have done anything to stop his cancer.

I hope a future sequel with eventually reveal that Killbrew was in charge of the workshop, and specifically chose Wade because of his terminal cancer, to recreate Wolverine's healing factor. And Francis basically just fed him false info about the treatment.

Yeah, I thought that was weird as well. But I am not too bothered by it.

They could have taken a different approach with it.

@Nathan That sequence from Flash was shocking. Love your avatar.

Deadpool writers said "he's a mutated human" not a "mutant". Because his genes didn't mutate on his own. No experimentation, no Deadpool.

Last edited:
Mutants are basically "evolved" humans. The X gene is the next step of evolution.

I took it as the serum and torture literally forcing Wilson to evolve. Makes sense.

Also, don't mutants gain their abilities during their teen years? At least that's what I always knew but then again I haven't really read any X related comics since the late 90's.

Yeah, usually happens during puberty.

Yeah most mutants mutate in their first 20 years I guess.

It's just I was under the impression Deadpool didn't have that gene in him at all before the experimentation.

I just really don't like the randomness of the treatment. Instead of choosing Wade as a candidate to recreate the healing factor, saving his life in the process and turning him into an obedient weapon, they give him a serum that will activate dormant mutants genes, crossing their fingers real hard, hoping that the powers he'll get will also cure his terminal cancer.

In the original script they hint at killbrew at the end. Maybe they still want to go into that. If they go into detail about Wolverine's healing factor being used that may be a good lead to Laura. Whom Miller seemed interested in using.

Let's hope he'll eventually appear in a sequel. After all, Francis was just another patient of the workshop. So someone else had to be in charge, before he began to work on patients himself.

You can't activate something that isn't already there. That word itself says something was there inside him, just dormant.
Although they didn't go into detail, this pretty much makes Wade a mutate, just like Mr Sinister, and others in the X-Universe.

He had the x-gene in his genome, and it had to be activated by artificial means.

Also, don't mutants gain their abilities during their teen years? At least that's what I always knew but then again I haven't really read any X related comics since the late 90's.

Some display them upon birth or early childhood (Multiple Man for example). But for the vast majority, Yes, they do mostly display their powers at the onset of puberty. Unless some sort of illness delays the reaction, in which you have the opposite end of the spectrum showing mutants that get their powers later on, even into their 20's. For a time they would write this about Magneto, I don't know if that's still cannon for him though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"