Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Ita-KalEl, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Where are you getting the 218 million budget? Everywhere I've looked says the budget was around 160 million.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/weekend-prediction-star-trek-65m/

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/18/j-j-abrams-reveals-his-star-trek-movie/

I'm not saying your wrong, but I can't find anywhere a story that says its 218 million.

2. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

Studios lie all.the.time! about how much it cost to produce a film. Benjamin Button was in excess of $250 million (I know that for a fact) and yet it's only being listed as $160 million officially.

All you have to do is look at Star Trek to know it was a $200+ million production.

3. nintendo nerd

nintendo nerd Well-Known Member

So what was the real budget for SR? Not counting failed project.

4. Excel

Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Treks overseas gross is pathetic, but wont make them think twice about a 2nd. ST is going to be the biggest film of May and will very likely top 250 million in the U.S.; even if it cant break 150 overseas the U.S. popularity will warrant another.

And you are...??

Please; Warner Brothers obviously sees Green Lantern as something more than just a single film. It does have hurdles, but the fact theyve given it a release date should signal its very likely to happen. Its due summer 2011. It would only make sense that W.B.-if they plan on making a sequel to it-would have it out in either summer 2013 or summer 2014. That isnt far fetched at all to assume. OBVIOUSLY if Green Lantern hits unforseen problems, that date isnt going to happen; but if everything goes as currently planed (which doesnt usually happen), that is a realistic looking slate.

Please. Anybody who honestly thinks Nolan isnt going to come back is kidding themselves, the same way some select fools thought he wouldnt return for TDK. Its understandable that he wanted to make a dif. film in between, but he'll be back. If anybody really believes he'll let his billion dollar critics baby get into someone elses hands, they're delusional.

The word fomr lr was they only agreed to make Inception if he would make Batman for 2012. They wont be wait a year longer. Batman 3 WILL be out in 2012, you can pretty much take that to the bank. They wont have a 5 year wait.

Thats what they should have done months ago, however thats out of the question now. Nolans doing Inception and wont be done fulltime work on that until early 2010 at the very earliest. Maybe if they REALLY wanted 2011 they could get out for Holidays, but that would be a reach.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  5. Ita-KalEl

Ita-KalEl Well-Known Member

They still don't need to, but things can change. Superman was considered needless after the success of 300 ($456m ww with a budget of $65m) and Transformers ($708,272,592 ww with a budget of $150m).

IMO it's clear that Watchmen is 300's son and Terminator: Salvation is WB's answer to Transformers. They both have failed, so since 2007-2008 something has already changed. Maybe not enough for Superman, but in two years we'll see the last Harry Potter movie, and I doubt that Batman can be considered a 5-6 movies franchise.

6. FilmNerdJamie

You just proved how clueless you are - especially in terms of box-office. The Trek franchise has never been huge internationally. The fact that this new film will end up with around $100 million overseas is solid as Hell.

Someone with a brain and knows what he's talking about - i.e. not you.

7. Showtime

Showtime Your Friend In Time

This isn't the Star Trek thread. I shouldn't have brought it up.

ENOUGH.

8. Excel

:dry: Excuse me? I may not help work on some joke back to the future site, but I do know a damn large amount about the box office and how it works; seeing these comoc book posters attempt to tell me Im "clueless" about something I've followed and discussed for nearly a decade is laughable; when it comes to box office knowledge the last thing I am is "clueless" broseph; I dont need to work for a wannabe hype website to know that anytime overseas accounts for 1/3 of a films worldwide gross, its not exactly "solid".

Its overseas take will account for a smaller % of its worldwide total than previous Trek films, the fact that it is 100 million doesnt mean anything due to inflation; it still equals less ticket sales overseas than previous films. I thought you knew what you were talking about?

Infaction ftw? Wheres a mod when you need one?

Besides, you've shown no evidence of a functioning brain, and what do you know? That Warner Brothers spends a lot more on their tentpoles than they tell us? Wow, I am very impressed. You think because you right articles about what hype Superman fans think that makes you an expert? The reality is you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to anything reguarding the box office. End of discussion.

9. FilmNerdJamie

I would recommend you not saying anything until you either grow a brain or learn to know what you're talking about. Thus noone will ever have to hear from you again.

10. SuperDaniel

SuperDaniel Well-Known Member

Easy guys!

11. Showtime

Showtime Your Friend In Time

This isn't a box office thread. I told you both to stop.

I just gave Jamie an infraction for flaming, do you want to continue this and get one as well?

Just an FYI Excel, that is 50% my site so watch yourself.

12. Excel

Im sorry, show, my bad.

13. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

"The plan is just to reintroduce Terminator...."

14. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

I dont care about it near as much as I did. I guess the wait has caused that. What ever happens, happens.
    Anyway, I guess we can look forward to G.L.

15. KalMart

There's more Iron Man and Avengers on the horizon as well, so the comic-genre looks to still be running pretty strong, even though Xmen and Spidey have had their run.

16. Excel

I would be shocked if most if any of the Marvel films that are currently planned outside of Iron Man make their current release dates.

17. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

This is turning into
    "The Plan is just to Reintroduce Superman..." pt. 2

18. KalMart

:pal:We should wait until after the next Superman move for that. :oldrazz::woot:

19. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

i will admit that star trek looks very expensive. and i mean very expensive.

but if it loks expensive then why is SR so expensive? it doesnt look expensive? look i am not the guy who complains about the bad CGI cape. i think the CGI cape was actually groudnbeaking. sometimes i didnt know that he was even CGI.
    but still was it really over 200 millions? maybe because of the detailed sets?

20. SuperDaniel

SuperDaniel Well-Known Member

Corn fields...

21. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

thats the point :pal:

22. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

dumb me. it 3 years. i forgot.

touche :wow:

23. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

This thread is just.... ugh.

24. FilmNerdJamie

...CG-enhanced Arnold body-double...

25. Nightwing1977

Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

But are we all fanboys, including you? Well, fangirl actually. But you'll get the point......I think. :D :D

I think Batman 3 will be out in 2012 if Nolan does return. 2011 seem very unlikely right now so far.

Someone must spin the Earth back or gave a Mod the amnesia kiss if this happend soon. :oldrazz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.