Derrickson to step down; who should direct?

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' started by Speed Force, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if they approached Leigh Whannell.

2. MahvelBaby! Registered

Luckily even though I like derrickson he isn't hard to replace and still realistically improve upon.

3. VictusMortuus Registered

I like Scott but he definitely didn’t deliver a definitive version of a DS adaptation for me. I think the Russo’s and Taika handled the character better in their movies better than his. Which isn’t to say I did not like Dr. Strange because I adore it! But I think the character deserves a more subtle approach than what Scott has shown to be able to provide and my top choices to replace him would be Mike Flanagan, Ari Aster, Robert Eggers. All horror directors with an eye for subtle ness and sophistication that the character so deserves.

4. NotNickFury Registered

Strange was in Ragnarok for maybe five minutes, a bit of that just the post-credits scene of what we got in the Doctor Strange film. How is that Taika handling the character better?

5. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

They've got to get either Marty Scorcese or Tyler Perry. Those are the only logical replacements.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  6. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

I'd like Noah Hawley if only for how he embraced the weirdness on Legion and did some pretty interesting shots on it. Didn't he want to do Doom too? Maybe if he does this one and Doom, Strange's third movie could be triumph & torment?

SpocksBrain likes this.
  7. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Taika and the Russo’s got the luxury of getting Strange post-origin. Marvel also didn’t do themselves any favors by making the character a diet Tony Stark before he got his powers.

9. legendkillin Registered

I like continuity with directors sticking around in the universe, but Dr.Strange was years ago and Russo's made him a bad ass in IWs. Not sure Derrickson would have built off that. They probably have someone in mind.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  10. MahvelBaby! Registered

It could be this is actually old news and they just released it now

11. Chris B Registered

Aside from my concern as to how bringing in a new director this late in development will affect the final product, I'm okay with this. I liked the first movie just fine but I definitely share the sentiment that it was a bit generic in some places. Especially in light of seeing how the Russo Bros. presented Dr. Strange in their two Avengers films.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  12. MahvelBaby! Registered

Call in one last favor from the Russo's how is their schedule? Are they shooting cherry soon?

SpocksBrain likes this.
  13. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Mike Flanagan but that is wishful thinking.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  14. MahvelBaby! Registered

I'm assuming the scripts been done for some time

15. terry78 He will eat YOU... if you are wrong

Yeah, whoever they get now is gonna realize they're basically the replacement journeyman since they already have it more than likely laid out so it won't be somebody big nor will it be somebody who will relinquish creative control. So it's gonna be someone that probably is fresh and has done like one indie flick that's a hit but doesn't have enough tenure to be like, "nah."

16. NotNickFury Registered

Done or not, any director who comes on will probably have a crack at or look at the script for anything they want to add or subtract.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  17. samsnee Ok

Derrickson isn’t exactly a visionary. He was fine to get the job done for the first movie but I’d rather someone who makes the character more interesting.

18. terry78 He will eat YOU... if you are wrong

I figure he'd probably despise doing a big budget MCU thing but Eggers is who I'd like to see try it out.

19. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Christopher Landon makes sense on paper and on a short term notice.

terry78 likes this.
  20. terry78 He will eat YOU... if you are wrong

Somebody on Twitter said Ari Aster and damn it that also works.

21. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Eggers almost seemed disgusted with the idea of making a cbm, and he reacted this way in front of Pattinson after being announced as Batman. lol

Ari Aster in a podcast also said he doesn't see himself directing big tentpole movies any time soon.

22. Speed Force goober

I guarantee it won't be anyone people think it will be. I would be surprised if we don't hear who the replacement is by the end of the month though, if not sooner.

23. Detective Conan Registered

They’ll most likely get a journeyman director like Peyton Reed instead of a visionary like Gunn or Coogler. Someone who’s willing to take on the directing duties while being cool with playing ball, and willing to stick on to the schedule.

24. RiXi Registered

A few more names that could work: Gareth Edwards, J.A. Bayona, Bong Joon-ho (though probably too busy at the moment), Jordan Peele.

25. Speed Force goober

Bayona, maybe. No chance Peele does it and I don't know enough about Edwards to say either way.