Discussion: Congress, The Senate, The House of Representatives - Part I

So now the repubs are backing off the infrastructure bill because Biden wants a 2 track approach to infrastructure. In other words, they appear to want a promise to not have a supplementary infrastructure problem via reconciliation. I sort of saw this coming and if I were the Dems, I would try to work out another, second, bill. When it fails, I just add a dem only bill to the bill the repubs just agreed to and pass it via reconciliation.

Senate Rs knew about the two-track bill two months ago and NOW they’re getting cold feet?

Mitch is doing everything he can to derail Biden’s agenda— it’s not working. Biden got more done in five months than Trump did in four years.

The GQP literally voted their power away in favor of stamping their feet, whining, and crying to placate their backers. That was a choice.

And these are the people whining about "cancel culture". If you agree to look into an insurrection that took place after the Repubs in the senate nuked a bi-partisan committee worked out by your own leadership, you WILL be punished.

Makes sense to me.....

They need to meet with Ms. "Wannabe Maverick" Sinema too.

Op-Ed: The filibuster is unconstitutional. Here's how Vice President Harris can take it on (Op-Ed)

There is a clear next step in changing the Senate filibuster: Vice President Kamala Harris, as presiding officer of the Senate, can — and should — declare the current Senate filibuster rule unconstitutional. This would open the door for discussions on a new rule that would respect the minority without giving it an unconstitutional veto.

In 1957, Vice President Richard Nixon, sitting as presiding officer of the Senate, issued two advisory opinions holding that a crucial provision of the Senate’s filibuster rule — requiring two-thirds vote to amend it — was unconstitutional. Nixon’s constitutional determination was reaffirmed by subsequent vice presidents Hubert Humphrey and Nelson Rockefeller. In fact, it was this ruling that allowed both the Democratic-controlled Senate in 2013 and the Republican-controlled Senate in 2017 by a simple majority vote to eliminate filibusters for all executive and judicial nominees.

Harris possesses the same power to rule that the current version of the Senate filibuster, which essentially establishes a 60-vote supermajority rule to enact legislation in the Senate, is unconstitutional because it denies states “equal Suffrage in the Senate” in violation of Article V of the Constitution.

While I don't know if it's unconstitutional as the Constitution says the Senate can make its own rules

U.S. Constitution said:
Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

(but what if said rules violate the Constitution elsewhere which creates specific conflicts?), it's clearly been abused with increasing frequency over the past 20 years so that fewer and fewer things ever leave the Senate.

Last edited:
Letting the inmates make the rules of the asylum has never made any sense anyways.

Associated Press - Bipartisan infrastructure deal stalls as bigger plan gains

A $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure deal senators struck with President Joe Biden is at risk of stalling out as Republicans mount stiff resistance over ways to pay for it and momentum shifts to a more robust Democratic proposal coming into focus Tuesday.

Biden’s big infrastructure proposals are moving on parallel tracks in Congress in a race against time and political headwinds to make a once-in-a-generation investment in the nation. Senators from both groups are huddling privately again late Tuesday evening to shore up their proposals. But the bipartisan deal is running into opposition from business leaders, outside activists and GOP senators potentially denying it the support that’s needed for passage.

The GQP's goal is always to try to run out the clock so nothing happens; same as it ever was.

Yep, they whine about unity then find a problem then stall. Rinse repeat.

tenor.gif

Ok but what about Medicaid? Medicare needs to work in tandem with medicaid. Dems can't just prop up and improve Medicare while continuing to let states abuse Americans with medicaid. It needs to offer an alternative to medicaid or take control of medicaid.

So the Medicare expansion is worth 300 billion. Where's the rest of the money going?

At some point this country is going to have to make laws to deal with congressional dereliction of duty. We punish soldiers for it. I see no reason we can't criminally charge congressman for the same.

And the Freedom Caucus seems to believe that McCarthy has the ability to remove Pelosi from her Speaker position. Which, is... yeah....

They are chugging the kool-aid at this point.

And the Freedom Caucus seems to believe that McCarthy has the ability to remove Pelosi from her Speaker position. Which, is... yeah....

They are chugging the kool-aid at this point.
Are they the ones who came up with that master plan to reinstate Trump as president by August? :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"