Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truthteller said:
dood.jpg

'Fire! Ol' buddy! HA! :D

Master of the skit! So good to still see you here. So steady and reliable. A good mod you would be. :o

Here's a pic of another fire being (or two) for you :)

attachment.php

There are times I feel so alone, with most of our crew gone. But then T shows up, and I get picked up :woot: :hyper:

STOP SPAMMING IN THIS DEPRESSING THREAD! :mad:

NOFX said:
There's one person that no one really talked about who I really liked and can really give Hilary a run for her money if she decides to run she's not too liberal or too conservative. Yes its a she! And she's a Democrat governor in a conservative state Kansas!
Everyone keeps talking about we need Democrat who can win Republican states, Kathleen Sebelius has done it and she's a woman?!

Here's some of her intiatives and more info about her.
http://www.governor.ks.gov/initiatives.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Sebelius

Sebelius is great, and she's been able to become respected in a red state, despite being a female liberal Democrat (usually, they're only succesful in Douglas and Wyandotte counties).

bored said:
Sebelius is great, and she's been able to become respected in a red state, despite being a female liberal Democrat (usually, they're only succesful in Douglas and Wyandotte counties).
She should at least be running mate in 08! :up:

SentinelMind said:
Warner doesn't have massive name recognition (but neither did a guy named Bill Clinton in 91) but out of those guys, once Warner got his campaign rolling and his accomplishment out there, he'd have defeated Feingold (that guy's going nowhere, sorry calling for gay marriage and censuring Bush isn't gonna get you the White House), Daschle (the guy was Minority Leader lost his own Senate seat,..yeah a great Presidential candidate), Vilsack obviously has hometurf bias in this poll. The other candidates are just the typical big names. Warner had the best shot as a newcomer.
Maybe. I really cannot comment until I hear why he dropped out, but he was not pulling much of anything in either poll.

Name recognition may mean a lot today, possibly more than it did in 1991. Reality TV and star watching has become a bigger public spectacle.

I hate to think he pulled from the race just due to low numbers. But judging by the fact that the faux Iowa primary (where he has been "campaigning" as of late) showed him at a mere 3%, that may have been the motivation.

If you want my opinion. Gore is running and they are keeping it quiet. Perhaps even Warner will be his running mate (I always thought it would be a good ticket)

After going to an environmental convention at my college (The John Glenn one) it's pretty apparent the environment is something the Dems want to run an issue campaign on. I always felt that the issue was as potentially unifying as religion since it's a problem that crosses cultural boundaries.

Gore won't necessarily run a campaign on gay marriage, welfare, or any of these other issues that scare swing voters. But he might just be able to get a unified voice with his environmental goals.

Gore signed the Kyoto Protocol, the Republicans will use that against Gore if he runs on a campaign on the enviroment.

Yes. I think Gore wants to run, but I also think that his blaitant politicalization of the environmental issue is working against him for all but the green core and far left core of voters.

I sometimes wonder if Gore is just totally political in his adherence to the environmental pronouncements he conjures up, or does he have a real concern for the issue. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he really cares about the issue, but he being one of the most political of any politician I have seen gives me pause in that determination.

<edited for grammar>

Immortalfire said:
There are times I feel so alone, with most of our crew gone. But then T shows up, and I get picked up :woot: :hyper:
You are too kind. :o
NOFX said:
STOP SPAMMING IN THIS DEPRESSING THREAD! :mad:
STOP LICKIN' YER GUN! :cmad: :huh:

Gore running will be an unmitigated disaster. I am very disappointed about Mark Warner. Despite the low numbers it is only 2006. Once 2007 comes around and the campaign kicks into gear his views and record would've almost definitely given him a boost.

Whats wrong with John Edwards? He's southern, which helps in either party I think - he doesn't have Governor experience, which seems to help but is it needed?

Truthteller said:
Whats wrong with John Edwards? He's southern, which helps in either party I think - he doesn't have Governor experience, which seems to help but is it needed?

John Edwards is a pretty face, not much else. The problem really is, he has no experience. A couple years in Senate, thats it. He made his move way too early. He should've stayed in Senate for 4 more years and ran in 2008.

Truthteller said:

I always feel like I need a shower after listening to Edwards. :(

I'm really disappointed Warner decided not to run. I have no idea what prompted him to drop out. (One of my friends said: "I wonder what Hillary has on him?" :o). It seems rather early to be dropping out because of poll numbers. All they really count for at this point is name recognition. People have pointed out that Clinton wasn't known going into the '92 election season, and I'd say Kerry wasn't either outside the NE until he started campaigning for the nomination. I just don't think that should matter at this point.

I really am disappointed. I think Warner would have been a strong candidate and an excellent president.

Daisy said:
I always feel like I need a shower after listening to Edwards. :(

I'm really disappointed Warner decided not to run. I have no idea what prompted him to drop out. (One of my friends said: "I wonder what Hillary has on him?" :o). It seems rather early to be dropping out because of poll numbers. All they really count for at this point is name recognition. People have pointed out that Clinton wasn't known going into the '92 election season, and I'd say Kerry wasn't either outside the NE until he started campaigning for the nomination. I just don't think that should matter at this point.

I really am disappointed. I think Warner would have been a strong candidate and an excellent president.

For once we agree on something. Is the apocolypse near? :eek:

Daisy said:
...I'm really disappointed Warner decided not to run. I have no idea what prompted him to drop out. (One of my friends said: "I wonder what Hillary has on him?" :o).
I heard the same thing. Maybe we have the same friend Daisy! :cwink:
Daisy said:
...I really am disappointed. I think Warner would have been a strong candidate and an excellent president.
I'm sorry to say I just do not know much about him. He must have somewhat of a conservative streak or at least a practical streak for you to think highly of him though Daisy. Thats unusual to find in a Democrat these days and as I have said for some time I think it is sorely needed. Reminds me Zell Miller...

Truthteller said:
Yes. I think Gore wants to run, but I also think that his blaitant politicalization of the environmental issue is working against him for all but the green core and far left core of voters.

I sometimes wonder if Gore is just totally political in his adherence to the environmental pronouncements he conjures up, or does he have a real concern for the issue. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he really cares about the issue, but he being one of the most political of any politician I have seen gives me pause in that determination.

<edited for grammar>

i don't really see anything close to blatant politicalization with gore's environmental issues. he's been working on his global warming theories for over seven years now and has shown his research all over the world. it never really made headlines until they made a movie out of it. the guy's passionate about this issue and he's working hard to get it out in the public forum. there's nothing wrong with that. he just gets a bad rap because of clinton and the 2000 election.

Well, like I said, I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.

But he is the son of nearly 20 year US senator. He himself was a representative then a senator for 15 years before becoming Vice President. It seems obvious to me that he has highly polished political skills. So while I will give him the benifit of the doubt on his sincerity about concern for the environment, I certainly can not totally trust him on it. And he does seem to use it to his advantage politically whenever he can. Can't really blame him for that being a polotician and all I suppose.

Truthteller said:
Well, like I said, I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.

But he is the son of nearly 20 year US senator. He himself was a representative then a senator for 15 years before becoming Vice President. It seems obvious to me that he has highly polished political skills. So while I will give him the benifit of the doubt on his sincerity about concern for the environment, I certainly can not totally trust him on it. And he does seem to use it to his advantage politically whenever he can. Can't really blame him for that being a polotician and all I suppose.

he's definitely a polished politician, but the same can be said for most politicians. bush would be the same way after growing up in the shadow of his dad's distinguished legacy, except he decided to party rather than take things seriously, until later in life.

Certainly true.

Although I wonder how much Gore might have partied when he lived with Tommy Lee Jones in college. The media just doesn't play it up like they do with Bush: "In 1965, Gore enrolled at Harvard College, the only university to which he applied. His roommate (in Dunster House) was actor Tommy Lee Jones. He scored in the lower fifth of the class for two years in a row [8] and, after finding himself bored with his classes in his declared English major, Gore switched majors and worked hard in his government courses and graduated from Harvard in June 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in government. [5]" From the Gore Wikipedia bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_gore

When Warner says he came to a realization that he wanted to spend time with his family because he felt like he was missing a big part of his girls growing up, I actually believe him. Most any other politician I'd figure there was a big skeleton in his closet that a political enemy found and was backing down to keep it from being exposed. I think Warner genuinely wants to step back and appreciate life a bit more than he has and I certainly don't fault him for that though I am very disappointed as I think he was probably exactly what this country needs in a President and leader.

jag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back