• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Discussion: The Supreme Court II

Except that black president nominated a white man. I love how people make everything about race when it has nothing to do with race. Those are the covert racists. It’s all about power. Republicans last time threw a stink and now Democrats are going to throw a stink. Even Ginsburg herself wanted to get a new replacement for Scalia asap before Obama left office:
RBG on Supreme Court Vacancies in 2016 and in 2020

Republicans were wrong in 2016 and Democrats are wrong now. You shouldn’t leave a SC seat vacant for months and months. There are 9 for a reason.

Except Republicans already set the precedent only four years ago. Sorry, Republicans were wrong four years ago so we need to allow the Republicans to push their candidate through is not going to be a valid excuse. Democrats know it’s a bs rule but unless Trump like nominates Merrick Garland or something frankly I don’t think anyone cares about a norm that Republicans decided to shatter on their own.

Oh my God, how hard is it to be his friend or loved one? You must always be on edge. You can't tell if he is texting you or having a medical emergency.

Yeah, this is another reason why the US Senate and other high office should also have a mandatory retirement age like the Supreme Court. Here in Canada it is age 75, in part because our Senate appointments are lifetime (since our Senate is based on the UK House of Lords). Nevertheless, I feel like a lot of problems with both the Democratic establishment and crackpot old Republicans would be solved if people were forced to move on from public life at a certain age. At a certain age, most lose any real feeling or interest for the long-term or even medium-term repercussions of their decisions. You also lose a lot of connections and concerns with those on the opposite end of the age spectrum. Yes, you might lose a Bernie Sanders to the cull, but I think it is worth it to get rid of Biden, Pelosi, McConnell, Trump, etc. I mean the Constitution has mandatory minimum ages for President, Senator and other high offices, why not have a maximum?

Is it possible to post a Bill Maher video here? I feel like there has to be cursing in it. :funny:

As opposed to the overt racists that Trump and so many of the Republicans are. Good to know that it is men like Colin Kaepernick, hell Martin Luther King Jr. who are the real racists, the covert racists who seem to somehow be the focal point of so much attention, the real problems, as opposed to those who won't even admit where Obama was born.

Also by the way for those who aren't white and aren't lucky enough to born a bit up the ladder in general, it's the lived experience in America that makes it all about race. Not the, pointing it out. Nothing shows that better then someone being angry about anyone pointing out Obama's race. Because that evil African Muslim infiltrator was never met by racism in the least, and thus this is all just crying of course.

But hey, those fighting for racial equality are the covert racists, and Trump isn't a fascist. Aren't 2020 opinions grand...
Overt racists are easy to spot and cancel. Covert racists are the ones behind the scenes manipulating your view to sew division. Neither should have a place in society and you’re diluting the message from actual issues. Both sides do this. Cultural appropriation wokeness is a perfect example. Making alphabet soup about race comes from the mouths of racists.

MLK fought for equality and he did so intelligently, passionately, and persistently. That tweet is just evoking race and you know it. It’s pure bile.

Are Democrats objecting now because they don’t like a white man?

You vomited so many side topics I’ll respond to a few but I’m not going to type an essay. I didn’t agree with the birther movement but it’s the same as Trump’s taxes. People are trying to delegitimize their opponent. It’s a waste of time and I’m sure racists were part of it but the reason isn’t. Muslim isn’t a race. People hacked at Romney for being a Mormon. The Democratic Party has Louis Farrakhan loving anti-semites and the Right has Nazi anti-semites.

I wasn’t born up any ladder. Most people aren’t. My family owns zero land. Christmas at our house was dependent on your layaway being paid off. Food was hot dogs cut in half with cheese on sandwich bread. You’re commiserating. We weren’t homeless. Both my parents worked. I enjoyed my childhood and it improved as my parents slowly climbed the job ladder. Anyone can get a federal student loan. Anyone can work hard. Anyone can improve their life. Having a two parent household vastly improves your start. That’s a choice. The government can’t fix that. Getting an education and staying in school also increases your odds of success in life. Lastly, not having children until you are financially stable not only increases your odds of success but also your children’s. These are all choices that people think the government can fix. It can’t. You can’t legislate choice. What the government can do is handout birth control like candy, provide access to a quality education, and lastly provide interest free student loans. I am for helping people be successful but it’s ultimately up to the individual to succeed. We don’t have all of those tools for all people right now.

Except Republicans already set the precedent only four years ago. Sorry, Republicans were wrong four years ago so we need to allow the Republicans to push their candidate through is not going to be a valid excuse. Democrats know it’s a bs rule but unless Trump like nominates Merrick Garland or something frankly I don’t think anyone cares about a norm that Republicans decided to shatter on their own.
I agree. Republicans crapped the bed here but now Democrats are no better. Politicians are hypocrites.

Trump could nominate a woman of color and watch everyone’s head explode.

Overt racists are easy to spot and cancel. Covert racists are the ones behind the scenes manipulating your view to sew division. Neither should have a place in society and you’re diluting the message from actual issues. Both sides do this. Cultural appropriation wokeness is a perfect example. Making alphabet soup about race comes from the mouths of racists.
The actual issues? To who, you? You who is more concerned with woke twitter then the President of the United States being both a racist and a fascist? I am still waiting for that response by the way.

You want to know what is manipulative? Insidious? Pure bile? It's not George Soros or BLM and their "mysterious" backers. It's those that look at overt racism, ignore it, and instead focus on and attack those who dare point out the difference in how a white man and a person of color are treated in the same situation.

MLK fought for equality and he did so intelligently, passionately, and persistently. That tweet is just evoking race and you know it. It’s pure bile.
MLK who made everything about race you mean? Yeah, I am sure you would of kept this same energy in the 60s, when MLK was calling for reparations.

Are Democrats objecting now because they don’t like a white man?
I am not a Democrat, so I won't speak for them. What I see with that post however is someone pointing out the obvious. How Obama was attacked from the very beginning based on his race, and it was used to justify any action against him by a Republican party, that literally ran on a platform to stop the black man.

You vomited so many side topics I’ll respond to a few but I’m not going to type an essay. I didn’t agree with the birther movement but it’s the same as Trump’s taxes. People are trying to delegitimize their opponent. It’s a waste of time and I’m sure racists were part of it but the reason isn’t. Muslim isn’t a race. People hacked at Romney for being a Mormon. The Democratic Party has Louis Farrakhan loving anti-semites and the Right has Nazi anti-semites.
I honestly don't think I need to respond to this bit. I will let it stand on it's own. It speaks volumes that you actually wrote it. Actually, two things.

1. Being Muslim isn't a race. That doesn't change the reality of how people have been attacked over it. Especially when you consider how Sikhs were attacked for being Muslims, as if either was worthy of being attacked for.

2. Using racism to delegitimize your opponent is racism, and that you would down play that and instead complain about woke twitter is ****ing wild.

I wasn’t born up any ladder. Most people aren’t. My family owns zero land. Christmas at our house was dependent on your layaway being paid off. Food was hot dogs cut in half with cheese on sandwich bread. You’re commiserating. We weren’t homeless. Both my parents worked. I enjoyed my childhood and it improved as my parents slowly climbed the job ladder. Anyone can get a federal student loan. Anyone can work hard. Anyone can improve their life. Having a two parent household vastly improves your start. That’s a choice. The government can’t fix that. Getting an education and staying in school also increases your odds of success in life. Lastly, not having children until you are financially stable not only increases your odds of success but also your children’s. These are all choices that people think the government can fix. It can’t. You can’t legislate choice. What the government can do is handout birth control like candy, provide access to a quality education, and lastly provide interest free student loans. I am for helping people be successful but it’s ultimately up to the individual to succeed. We don’t have all of those tools for all people right now.
Oh, you watch Ben Shapiro. Of course. Maybe you should take his advice and consider facts, not your feelings? Because you just ignore every single statistic, study and fact on the matter.

You write your personal experience as if it's suppose to prove something, but what is amazing is how you ignore your own choice of the word choice. When you ignore that no child has a decision on the environment they group up in. Whether they have food available, have decent air to breath, whether there is fracking going down the street, lead in their water, or the quality of school they go to. No child has a choice on the household they grow up in, but it is very hypocritical to write about such things when you support bans on abortion or ignore how black folk are arrested and punished for similar offences to their white counterparts. Nor do any of choose the color of our skin and the consequences that come with it. The mockery of growing up "not speaking properly", the physical and verbal assault that come with it, being harassed by the police for something you have no choice in. I am sure it was my father and brother's choice to cry after they were racially abused at Wal-mart by some Maga fans. I am sure it was their choice to be attacked in the first place, because as you made it clear it's all a choice.

I want to thank you for this post. You made it more clear then anything I could have written. chaseter, who only post in the political forum who told us who the real racists are.

One other thing to consider WRT the possibility of a post election confirmation vote to replace Ginsburg. If Kelly wins Arizona, he could be sworn in by Nov 30th. This could bring the number of repub senators who would not vote for a confirmation from 4 to 3.

I think McConnell delays the actual vote until after the election. People generally think the winner of Nov 3 should select the replacement for Ginsburg and this could tip some of these close senate races where the incumbent is a republican.

I agree. Republicans crapped the bed here but now Democrats are no better. Politicians are hypocrites.

Trump could nominate a woman of color and watch everyone’s head explode.

I mean, I am absolutely expecting him to nominate Rao. And if you have read her opinions, then you know how crazy she is. She either was directly auditioning for Trump for a SCOTUS seat, or she is just terrible.

For people who are saying "The Dems are as bad as the Repubs", please note there are a couple of differences. First off, Scalia passed long before the election. Secondly, and more importantly, the Republican senate set the precedent and got their nominee approved. Now, they want to change the rules to their own political benefit. On the democratic side, they are basically just saying "Hey, follow your own rules and not just when it benefits you." Had the republican senate taken up the Garland vote, the democrats would have much less of a basis to complain. As it stands now, they certainly do. There is NOTHING wrong with insisting on consistency; especially when it comes to SCOTUS appointments.

So stop with that "both sides are bad" BS. EDIT: "Bull S***" sounds more appropriate when I read it.

The problem is that due to voter suppression and inequality of representation in the Senate, that 23% probably represents the majority of voters in the states that Republican senators represent.
Possible, but Collins already has come out against. She was toast if she didn't. Gardner faces a very similar circumstance in Colorado. The question is if it is done post election and these people lose, will they hold to their word? Kelly can be seated by late November. This could be a tipping point even in places like Iowa, NC, even maybe SC or Georgia.

Not Moscow Mitch? :o
McConnell has always been a shameless, hateful disgrace to turtles everywhere. Graham played himself as a fairly reasonable senator for years before doing a 180 heel turn and selling out every last principle and the memory of his closest friend to go full Trump. So I guess my anger towards him is more immediate. :o

Meanwhile, I can't wait to watch the GOP suddenly turn to "identity politics" the minute Trump nominates a woman of color.

If he nominates a woman of any kind, I'm expecting a whole lot of unironic "More :applaudwomen :applaud camp :applaud guards:applaud" type of stuff.

Nothing was destroyed about Kavanaugh’s life and he got upgraded to SCOTUS thanks to Republicans. What did he actually lose? Nothing.

Except that black president nominated a white man. I love how people make everything about race when it has nothing to do with race. Those are the covert racists. It’s all about power. Republicans last time threw a stink and now Democrats are going to throw a stink. Even Ginsburg herself wanted to get a new replacement for Scalia asap before Obama left office:
RBG on Supreme Court Vacancies in 2016 and in 2020

Republicans were wrong in 2016 and Democrats are wrong now. You shouldn’t leave a SC seat vacant for months and months. There are 9 for a reason.
MW-GL355_zaraja_20180621151701_NS.jpg

Please purchase one for yourself.

It's more honest.

It's really easy to admit Republicans were wrong in the past as it doesn't affect anything that is currently in the balance for them (aside from asking Democrats to behave well where Republicans didn't). The only way that an admittance like that holds any water is to have a consequence for it and to back forgoing the opportunity to pick a judge now or to back handing the pick to the other side. Yes there are 9 for a reason so in that case one of the conservative judges could be muted until we are back to 9 after the election, if the pressing concern is about deadlock.

I think increasing the number of judges is a bad idea but the Regressive Party is forcing the Democrats hand if they push forward with this nomination and suceed. It is a blatant abuse of power and they know it. But they do not care.

I think it’s overdue based on how much this country has grown the last few generations. But I hear you. At some point, Republicans will abuse it and add 51 new SC judges who are all young and ideological.

Democrats need to pass an amendment to protect the SC from abuse of power as we have seen the last 4 years norms and traditions don’t mean much when you have someone like Cheetoh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IAmBatman125
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"