Discussion: UK Politics

Im not a fan of referendums in general tbh but it would totally defeat the point of having one if they went with that.

"Ok you won but you didn't win by enough so you still lose" It would probably cause even more of a carry on than we have now (if that's even possible)

Went off of him ages ago due to the fact he didn't really seem to want to make his position clear, Im not even that well versed in the actual ins and outs of politics but a lot of the things he says sound like wishes more than things that will actually happen and I honest can't stand that Diane Abbott she's probably the worst of the bunch (and that's saying something)
Abbott is completely incompetent and a massive drag on the party. Corbyn inspired many but that whole revolution based on him just doesn't fit with a Eurosceptic. He could only keep that part of himself under wraps for so long. It was obvious to neutrals as he was totally quiet on the matter at the most important time - the actual vote - and then started piping up non-stop blaming the Tories afterwards. Any neutral person knows that the person in charge of the main left wing party of the country should be making himself heard during that time, and those who knew his political background also knew why he kept quiet until it was done and dusted and time to throw around blame.

Last edited:
Withdrawal Agreement vote defeated by 58 votes. Back to consensus vote of parliament for Monday.

Westminster refuses to do what the country told them to do... the entire place is screwing up here.

I honestly thought a people's vote was a pipe dream but looking a lot more likely now I would say.

Wouldn't solve anything.

Wouldn't solve anything.

Not saying its the solution but whenever it was mentioned previously pretty much every MP seemed dead against it and wouldn't even entertain it. Quite a few seem to be softening to that as a potential option now.

those MPs think that they can use the push to get a people's vote as a way to bolster their own political standings...

As opposed to the MP's who described May's deal as slavery and worse than remaining... Only to then vote for it?!

They're the same... they've chosen to suddenly back it all because it helps their own political standings

So whats the plan now or lack there of lol now that May’s deal has been defeated again. Man Trump here and Brexit in the UK. All of this in 2019. Even 60 years ago people thought we would have moon bases and be unified. Alas to see how much is going to the crapper.

Should May just resign? Should they do a second vote? I can see certain arguments and issues with the EU in terms of democratic policies and control but wow to be out this far without a good deal is just plain negligent and stupid.

The way things are going, an election or confirmation vote seeming more and more likely.

Man, every time they interview someone pro-Brexit, they come off so much like Trump supporters. So many canned responses, so many dog whistles, and very little logic. It's similar to those who are pissed in the US, but seem determined to empower those that made it all crap in the first place, while blaming the "other".

Anything, from May's deal (which isn't actually a deal) to No Deal, is going to hurt them. Some worse then others, but this is not helping the UK. The best they can hope for is something close to what they have now, but with no say on matters. And why do they want that? What is the point?

I've been saying to my friends and family for almost a year that this is where we would end up. Theresa May has literally dragged her feet on this for years. We have a government unable to agree on or come up with any decent exit strategy and I have predicted that we will ultimately crash out of the EU without any trade agreements or anything.

Which weirdly enough, is what some of the more hard-line "leavers" actually want... Especially that Jacob Rees-Mogg **** (for those that are interested, that previous word was "twit" but with one letter different!).

Scary stuff.

I simply can't understand how our elected representatives are putting their own petty political agendas ahead of what is needed to get us out of the EU in some form of orderly manner.
Actually I kind of do understand, the main thing is that the Tories do not have a clear majority without the DUP and the latter are worried about the backstop.

My feeling is that we really should stay within the EU, as it is easier to effect positive change from within rather than on the outside. But hey, what do I know?

I've been saying to my friends and family for almost a year that this is where we would end up. Theresa May has literally dragged her feet on this for years. We have a government unable to agree on or come up with any decent exit strategy and I have predicted that we will ultimately crash out of the EU without any trade agreements or anything.

Which weirdly enough, is what some of the more hard-line "leavers" actually want... Especially that Jacob Rees-Mogg **** (for those that are interested, that previous word was "twit" but with one letter different!).

Scary stuff.

I simply can't understand how our elected representatives are putting their own petty political agendas ahead of what is needed to get us out of the EU in some form of orderly manner.
Actually I kind of do understand, the main thing is that the Tories do not have a clear majority without the DUP and the latter are worried about the backstop.

My feeling is that we really should stay within the EU, as it is easier to effect positive change from within rather than on the outside. But hey, what do I know?
It is actually amazing how political it has all become. Like May's withdraw agreement is ****, which is why so many didn't vote for it on either side. But somehow people are moving towards it... and why is that? Because this isn't about Brexit. It is about the Tory party power struggle. As soon as she said she'd quit, suddenly people start voting for her deal, which hasn't changed one bit? Get the hell out of here.

It's definitely what half-measures gets you at the end of the day.

May is the least able person to have undertaken this process, my central blame lies with Cameron and why he hasn't been brought to task in this period I've no idea, his actions and subsequent 'run for it' when it all went south was a disgrace. No one in the Tories believed for a minute the country would vote to leave in 2016, they thought remain was nailed on and so had to devise a crock of sh** to be seen to have something prepared.

May is not a leader, she has zero capacity to shoulder responsibility, see any options beyond her own or share and discuss, or feel or see anybody else's feelings, she's basically a sociopath

Lets hope Monday brings about 3 options from the main list, personally I've always been remain, what gets me is the arrogance of TM and her party, to believe the EU owes us anything, we are leaving them NOT the other way round, we are the minority and cannot expect all that we 'want', the main issue was that a leave was 'sold' on us (the public) not noticing the difference, all rights and personal access would be the same, of course that was never going to the case.

The EU are simply looking at it (hence why all the extensions and some part of the reason why they've allowed debate to continue) is the finance, they are looking at the funding gap that us leaving would mean and then who would fill it.

Yeah, tend to agree with the notion Cameron never should have brought it to a referendum vote in the first place.

Given he did though, and the vote came back "leave", May's culpable for not seeing it out through as the public decreed. She had a responsibility to stay fast and make it actually happen given the vote. Moderate stances are a good thing generally, I'm kind of for the middle road more or less, but given you have a referendum mandate it's kind of your task to see it out, ensure it goes through, fight Brussels however you have to. She's been pretty p*ss-weak in that respect, you need a Thatcher type to raise the middle finger and go it alone in a situation like that. May's pretty weak of character in that respect, and now you get all the uncertainty.

Cameron should have provided an official government representation of 'leave' to the electorate... but he assumed that the country wouldn't be so ****ing stupid...

We are now looking at a 'vote off'.... May's deal Vs No Deal next week... if that somehow fails, then we're looking at No Deal

For me, there are very few Conservatives with any humanity, the ideology of the party and it's intentions do not lead to humanitarian or an view of 'equality' so by nature those attracted to the party are not going to have wide searching characteristics or the will to see equal measure throughout society.

Being so far left of the left both as a person and politically I was never going to be comfortable having the Tories, oversee this, I'm a Green voter.

i see no hope from ANY side of Westminster to resolve the Brexit issue... you have the SNP trying to use Brexit for their own independence fetish... Labour for their GE fetish... some parts of the Tories for their own political ambitions...

Worst of all, you now have certain MPs (labour ones) calling opposition party members 'enemies of the people'

Dare say 90% of Westminster needs replacing

Aye, you need to have a self fulfilling ideology of belief that you are 'doing it for the people' when actually self interest is often the way. I'm very interested to see how the new Change UK party assembles itself from here within.

i don't really see them as being any different... they're forming a new party simply because they want to continue their careers.... not that they want to help the people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"