Disney's Frozen - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Shakespeare with animals basically. On top of that I don't know about the all male members on the hype but the film is really the only one of the Disney Renaissance films that I can relate to being it's about fathers and sons and about becoming a man. Most of the other films of that period are good as films but don't resonate to me because they are too female skewed.

Well, Disney does love to use public domain stories for their animated movies and TLK is very noticeably based on Hamlet. It's actually much more strongly based than most of Disney's loose adaptations (Frozen actually has very little in common with The Snow Queen apart from a few very general points).

It's Shakespeare with animals basically. On top of that I don't know about the all male members on the hype but the film is really the only one of the Disney Renaissance films that I can relate to being it's about fathers and sons and about becoming a man. Most of the other films of that period are good as films but don't resonate to me because they are too female skewed.

as a fellow Hype male, I have to say I never felt a particularly strong connection to the Lion King. maybe it's because the characters are animals and not human. idk.

I just like the traditional princess/fairy tale stories. And I'm a sucker for love stories.

And the characters that resonate with me are ones who I identify with and see myself in.

Belle. Elsa. Anna. Rapunzel.

I see parts of myself in all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
so did Idina just sing on Fallon last night??

did she talk and comment about the Oscars?

so did Idina just sing on Fallon last night??

did she talk and comment about the Oscars?

She did a bit with the roots and Jimmy. They played "Let it Go" on kids instruments

Randy Newman was the musical guest.

Aladdin. That and The Lion King had equal appeal I thought.

Yeah, I find that the Broadway fandom as a whole can be particularly...catty about singers. I guess it's because more than with superhero fans or movie fans, the large portion of that fandom are people (singers/performers) trying to be a part of it professionally, so they can be extra judgmental about it. Or something. Just the impression I've gotten as a non-performer who likes a lot of Broadway stuff and so is a casual member of that fandom by default.

Yes, Idina had an off-night. But off-nights are guaranteed to happen when you perform live on a regular basis, and she handled it like a pro, imo. And I thought she sounded great in that Fallon video. :up:

And I too enjoy Aladdin and TLM more than BatB. :woot:

tumblr_inline_mzzho11l1g1r4m9qq.gif

One thing I have always found curious about the Broadway community: yes, Idina Menzel was not her best on Oscar night. She was off-pitch at times and missed the final high note.

But there is almost a kind of...vindication about it amongst theater community's fans. Not a "it's a shame she wasn't her best," but more of a "she was so terrible, :o " kind of vibe.

Hey Bobby Lopez is there a song about it?

Yes, but you can't post it on the Hype.

So, go google: schadenfreude from Avenue Q, instead! :D Kind of sums up the surprising amount of gleeful Menzel bashing coming out of the woodwork as of late.

Yeah, I find that the Broadway fandom as a whole can be particularly...catty about singers. I guess it's because more than with superhero fans or movie fans, the large portion of that fandom are people (singers/performers) trying to be a part of it professionally, so they can be extra judgmental about it. Or something. Just the impression I've gotten as a non-performer who likes a lot of Broadway stuff and so is a casual member of that fandom by default.

Yes, Idina had an off-night. But off-nights are guaranteed to happen when you perform live on a regular basis, and she handled it like a pro, imo. And I thought she sounded great in that Fallon video. :up:

And I too enjoy Aladdin and TLM more than BatB. :woot:

Oh, they've been like that about her forever. They hated her singing in Rent, they hated her singing in Wicked, especially her performance at the Tonys that year. And they've been going off on Let It Go as well, they generally hate it, from what I've seen.

One of my friends is a vocal coach, and he's dreadful to watch any of this stuff with. He's always going off on whose breathing in the wrong places or whatever, and gets really obnoxious about it. Yes, we know...you're such a professional with your zero Broadway credits. :whatever:

He was pretty nice about Idina, though, but I think that's the former Renthead in him that gave her a break.

Theater message boards can be the worst. The ones I've seen are pretty negative about Frozen, and fairly annoyed at how popular it is.

Lately they've been all about how only tourists are excited about the Les Mis revival, when every theater geek I know wants to see it. That goes for a few of the Disney shows as well. According to them, only the tourists misbehave at Broadway shows, even though more often than not it's the NYers I see unable to show up on time or turn off their phones...

Oh, they've been like that about her forever. They hated her singing in Rent, they hated her singing in Wicked, especially her performance at the Tonys that year. And they've been going off on Let It Go as well, they generally hate it, from what I've seen.

One of my friends is a vocal coach, and he's dreadful to watch any of this stuff with. He's always going off on whose breathing in the wrong places or whatever, and gets really obnoxious about it. Yes, we know...you're such a professional with your zero Broadway credits. :whatever:

He was pretty nice about Idina, though, but I think that's the former Renthead in him that gave her a break.

Theater message boards can be the worst. The ones I've seen are pretty negative about Frozen, and fairly annoyed at how popular it is.

Lately they've been all about how only tourists are excited about the Les Mis revival, when every theater geek I know wants to see it. That goes for a few of the Disney shows as well. According to them, only the tourists misbehave at Broadway shows, even though more often than not it's the NYers I see unable to show up on time or turn off their phones...

geez.....wonder how they'll feel once Frozen becomes a Broadway show..........:o

I've noticed an unfortunate pattern when it comes to movies, TV, broadway, etc. There are some people who dislike something popular NOT because they have any real criticisms of it as a piece of work. No, they dislike it BECAUSE it's so popular, BECAUSE most people really like it. For example, I've heard quite a few people say stuff to the effect of "I don't like TDK, everyone keeps gushing about it and it's turned me off to the movie." That's true for a lot of popular stuff, and it annoys the Hell out of me. They don't have an actual reasons to dislike things, no problems with the story, acting, characters, etc. They just dislike it because other people like it, it's being contrarian purely for it's own sake (and being really petty to).

I've noticed an unfortunate pattern when it comes to movies, TV, broadway, etc. There are some people who dislike something popular NOT because they have any real criticisms of it as a piece of work. No, they dislike it BECAUSE it's so popular, BECAUSE most people really like it. For example, I've heard quite a few people say stuff to the effect of "I don't like TDK, everyone keeps gushing about it and it's turned me off to the movie." That's true for a lot of popular stuff, and it annoys the Hell out of me. They don't have an actual reasons to dislike things, no problems with the story, acting, characters, etc. They just dislike it because other people like it, it's being contrarian purely for it's own sake (and being really petty to).

yeah.....that's just petty and stupid.

I think a root cause of that is envy.

Looks like Frozen is getting the Oscar bump. Monday # is $338,298 up from $227,077 from last Monday, an increase of +49%.

Am I the first person in the world to be sick of "Let It Go"? A bunch of people at work were singing butchering it today and it's just officially run its course for me at the moment. However, having said that, I did like the version that Idina Menzel (aka Adele Nazeem) performed with Jimmy Fallon.

What are its chances of beating Iron Man 3 at the domestic box office? I know it will cross $400 million, but with the DVD looming, it may sputter out. Who would have thought that if they had waited only a few weeks more on the DVD it could mean an opportunity to sink Iron Man 3 down a notch? Here is to hoping.

Am I the first person in the world to be sick of "Let It Go"? A bunch of people at work were singing butchering it today and it's just officially run its course for me at the moment. However, having said that, I did like the version that Idina Menzel (aka Adele Nazeem) performed with Jimmy Fallon.

The number of cover versions popping are are making me dislike the song more and more I have to say.

What are its chances of beating Iron Man 3 at the domestic box office? I know it will cross $400 million, but with the DVD looming, it may sputter out. Who would have thought that if they had waited only a few weeks more on the DVD it could mean an opportunity to sink Iron Man 3 down a notch? Here is to hoping.

It has a Sing-a-long version of the movie that is still going strong in the theaters...

From Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon:

[YT]/watch?v=17QQcK4l6Yw&feature=share&list=FLHs-qMIkdGAi4nKjEYxJ0Bg[/YT]

I thought that was fantastic...

A billion is insane and very well deserved. It is pretty crazy as the international numbers didn't seem to hot at first, but they just kept growing and growing.

And as someone who loves Aladdin and Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast is the king. :D

The number of cover versions popping are are making me dislike the song more and more I have to say.

It's the opposite for me. I think the different take on the song Let It Go has given the song more interesting dimensions and they would surprise me with their new interpretation of the song. The viral aspect is one of the reasons why it has become such a phenomenon worldwide.

Christina Bianco really nailed her voice.

A billion is insane and very well deserved. It is pretty crazy as the international numbers didn't seem to hot at first, but they just kept growing and growing.

And as someone who loves Aladdin and Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast is the king. :D

:highfive:

It's the opposite for me. I think the different take on the song Let It Go has given the song more interesting dimensions and they would surprise me with their new interpretation of the song. The viral aspect is one of the reasons why it has become such a phenomenon worldwide.

Everyone loves Elsa!!! :woot:

Watching the kids sing it has been a lot of fun. It reminds me of how me and my best friend used to play the record to the 1982 Annie movie over and over and belt our little out-of-tune hearts out. :oldrazz:

I do find I've been listening to the Wicked cast recording more than I have in awhile too. God, that was a great show. :up:

Watching the kids sing it has been a lot of fun. It reminds me of how me and my best friend used to play the record to the 1982 Annie movie over and over and belt our little out-of-tune hearts out. :oldrazz:

I do find I've been listening to the Wicked cast recording more than I have in awhile too. God, that was a great show. :up:
Same here. I started listening to it again quite a bit in the build up to Frozen and it has continued after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"