Arrow Do die hard Green Arrow fans like Arrow?

^ deserves more viewers imo

here is the actual numbers for ep4 crucible, their lowest rated episode.

Some CW highlights from the L+7 and digital data for the week of 10/28:

Arrow grew by +79% in A18-34 (1.11 vs 0.62), by +76% in A18-49 (1.32 vs 0.75), and by +56% in total viewers (3.69M vs 2.37M). Digital viewing for that week’s episode accounted for 25% of the total audience for the show.

4.92 million total viewers.

But if you look at the rating FAQ here:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/10/renewals-and-cancellations-decisions.html

you see that in section 2.7

When assessing a show’s renewal chances, the DVR numbers are, per se irrelevant, yes, because there is no revenues from them.

It looks like those live +3 and +7 are just good for PR.

Yes, but CW works on a different model.

Their ad revenue isn't as high as the other networks due to their low viewership, so they depend a lot on other revenues which includes,
  • syndication
  • overseas sales
  • digital viewing
  • netflix viewing
  • DVD sales

So CW's renewals are always not as predictable as the other network. Another thing to bench itself is weighing their viewership ratings against the others in the other network.
As of now, Arrow is #3, tied with Originals. Not far away from Supernatural and TVD. Then its TTP at #5 but theres a big gap in between. So in terms of renewal, I'm 110% sure the show will be renewed.

^ you may have only joined this forum recently but man are you a welcome addition :)

Yes, but CW works on a different model.

Their ad revenue isn't as high as the other networks due to their low viewership, so they depend a lot on other revenues which includes,
  • syndication
  • overseas sales
  • digital viewing
  • netflix viewing
  • DVD sales

So CW's renewals are always not as predictable as the other network. Another thing to bench itself is weighing their viewership ratings against the others in the other network.
As of now, Arrow is #3, tied with Originals. Not far away from Supernatural and TVD. Then its TTP at #5 but theres a big gap in between. So in terms of renewal, I'm 110% sure the show will be renewed.

Arrow isn't syndicated yet. I don't know about overseas sales however the other things should relate to the ratings. I mean who buys DVDs of a show without having watched it? And shouldn't netflix viewings of S1 help the ratings for S2 when people decide to watch it instead of waiting?

As for the relative position right now the cancellation predictor table

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/09/spoilertv-cancellation-predictor-table.html

has Arrow in the green(safe) zone at a 2.25 score. If the ratings slide enough to drop it into the yellow(in danger) zone it probably won't be #3 on the CW anymore. I am not predicting the show will be cancelled(they would probably try moving it to another night first if things go bad) but given the track record this predictor had last year that is what I will be checking on.

how do green arrow fans feel about his slow progression into a super hero? as in not even using the name yet

^ you may have only joined this forum recently but man are you a welcome addition :)

Arrow isn't syndicated yet. I don't know about overseas sales however the other things should relate to the ratings. I mean who buys DVDs of a show without having watched it? And shouldn't netflix viewings of S1 help the ratings for S2 when people decide to watch it instead of waiting?

As for the relative position right now the cancellation predictor table

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/09/spoilertv-cancellation-predictor-table.html

has Arrow in the green(safe) zone at a 2.25 score. If the ratings slide enough to drop it into the yellow(in danger) zone it probably won't be #3 on the CW anymore. I am not predicting the show will be cancelled(they would probably try moving it to another night first if things go bad) but given the track record this predictor had last year that is what I will be checking on.

I apologize I didn't make myself clear enough.
When I meant all those factors, I'm not saying Arrow has them all, but these are the factors that CW look at when they decide to cancel a show.
I'll address them from my point of view.

Syndication - Yes Arrow isn't syndicated yet, so its a moot point.
International Sales - Yes there are certain shows that do fantastic in international sales, shows that are too "americanize" usually don't sell well overseas. Friday Night Lights for instance. Superhero shows on the other hand sell like hotcakes overseas, because they'll constantly be on demand. They're not hard to understand so counties that doesn't have english as their main language have higher chances of ordering it. For instance, Smallville is a huge international seller and sold fantastic on DVD.
Netflix Viewing also consist of people watching it on netflix, if they already watched the whole seasons on netflix and they have inflexible working hours, they will likely continue the rest on netflix. Another important reason why netflix is a critical reason is because CW is essentially making a profit from their licensing deal with Netflix. They get more revenue the longer their shows go, a series is also easier to market if they have a proper ending and conclusion compared to one that doesn't (which is why Nikita got renewed for only 6 episodes) So the thing is if Netflix deems a show to be of high value to them, CW would think thrice before attempting to cancel the show.

With regards to the chart, I have no idea how spoiler tv came up with the chart, neither do I think its accurate. Personally, I trust TVBTN renew cancel index more and I think Arrow is actually doing fine because apart from the top 4 shows (The Originals, TVD, Supernatural, Arrow) all the other shows are no where near the ratings of the top 4.
Digital numbers are solid for Arrow and much better than the other non top 4 shows, so if you factor in everything, I don't think Arrow will be cancelled this season. If they get renewed for season 3 they'll also get a defacto renewal for season 4.

All these are just my opinions though, but I've been monitoring network renewals for years now and I think I have a good gauge on the lifespan of the TV shows I'm watching.

Last edited:
Here is a link to last years results:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/the-spoilertv-cancellation-predictor.html

the most relevant part:

Overall I'm very pleased with the results as you can see.

- The top 29 shows predicted to be cancelled, were cancelled.
- The top 28 shows predicted to be renewed, were renewed.

that is very accurate.

It is indeed not bad. But let me introduce TVBTN to you.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-csiny-rules-of-engagement-golden-boy/180619/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...hannibal-go-on-parks-rec-whitney-more/180631/

amongst all other charts I've seen online, TVBTN is the most accurate. They predicted both new normal and rules of engagement to be cancelled amongst others.
I think they have a higher success rate. However, going back to the chart that spoilertv posted, its actually the 2nd highest and its way ahead of the other bubbling shows.
1 thing I don't agree with them using is the total viewers because total viewers have completely no relations with the cancellation chances. Like you said, live +7 is also completely unimportant. Several of the addidional factors are good though, online views, online ratings and etc, others not so much.
Reason why I brought up that 4.92 total viewers wasn't to prove that the show has higher chances of renewal (I'm certain it'll be renewed) but just to show that there are more people watching it in than like 2 mil plus.

However, I think if both charts shows that Arrow is more than safe, then we're actually on the same page here.

^ could one of you explain what the demo rating is, arrow got a 1.2 recently and I have no idea what that means.

I was hesitant to get into this show because GA isn't as major of a player as some in the DCU, I've had very limited exposure to the character, plus Smallville turned out to be a complete disaster. I didn't have much hope at all...until I watched episode 1.

I just binged watched all of season 1 and up to episode 8 of season 2 this past weekend.

I do have to say, there is something almost movie-quality about the show...and I'm completely all-in. I know people have complaints about some of the characters and the acting, and I do have a few complaints of my own, but this is certainly the best live-action comic book show we've seen so far.

Although I do think Season 1 was much stronger than this current season, I'm excited to see what they do with this season (Brother Blood, Flash, LOA, etc.).

^^ I was in the same boat. I just watched all episodes this past month and got caught up. I too feel season 1 was better than 2. I haven't been enjoying season 2 so far. Maybe it's just because I might be tired of the show after watching so many episodes so fast, but this season has been pretty average.

Can't call myself a die hard fan. Truthfully, only exposure to Green Arrow before this show was JLU, DC Universe Online, and Smallville. I will say now that this version is 1000x better than the Smallville version. I hated GA there.

Most of my exposure to Green Arrow was through animation... (Love the animated short they did for him and the JLU episodes) and Year One graphic novel and Longbow Hunter storyline.

That said, I've always liked the lesser known DC characters.

And I was the same way with Arrow, binged watched season 1 in a week. I started watching when it first aired, got behind around episode 5-6 and just stopped watching it. Really wish I hadn't. The show really hit its stride by episodes 10-13.

My brother thinks that they "try too hard" this season, in particular with the references/Easter eggs to other characters in the DCU. Sometimes I think they've upped the sappiness factor a bit much, and at times things feel a bit formulaic. How many times since last season have we seen someone knocked out and brought back to the Arrow Cave (Diggles, GA himself, etc), or Felicity going under cover and needing rescue, or someone finding out his identity? And to be fair, I actually think the last point (identity) has been handled well (and creatively). If this show is supposed to be "grounded" (even more so than Nolan's work), then they've done a great job addressing coincidences, hunches, the need for reveals, etc.

I started reading Green Arrow with Kevin Smith's run, I've gone on to collect his older stories with Green Lantern as well, and he's been my favorite DC character next to The Flash and Batman since. With that said, I actually think that the show is miles better than the current comic books. It's its own thing and I love it for that. As a fan of Marvel's Ultimate Universe (where I actually liked some characters more than their original versions) I look at this as Ultimate Green Arrow. A complete fresh start with the character, which means I can now be surprised since this show can turn in any direction at the drop of a hat. I just love being along for the ride.

He never had many villains. Merlyn and Count Vertigo are the big ones. He kiled Drakon in the pilot. Brick, Onomatopoeia, and Clock King haven't been used yet. I can't see Brick staying under wraps forever. Onomatopoeia was a character the writers admitted they had a difficult time adapting to live action, agreeing with creator Kevin Smith. And Clock King needs some reworking, and is currently being redone in Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow comics. They could perhaps be waiting for that version to inform theirs. But I suppose they'd rather find villains from the wider DCU to suit their story than focus on building their story around the 5 or so recurring villains Green Arrow has.

pretty sure he killed a danny brickwell in the opening teaser in a season 1 episode, like before the arrow logo displays. kind of a throw away "villain".

pretty sure he killed a danny brickwell in the opening teaser in a season 1 episode, like before the arrow logo displays. kind of a throw away "villain".

He was on the list, but I don't recall him ever showing up and can't find anything looking it up.

I've enjoyed Arrow a lot. There can be definitely a lot of comparisons drawn between the Nolan verse of Batman and Arrow.

But I am a Marvel guy and never really read Green Arrow. I know they are taking a lot of liberties with the character and have changed so much. : http://superherospeak.com/wp/

Let me answer this question in the exact opposite manner in which it was asked. Green Arrow is one of my least favorite comic book heroes. I've always thought everything about the character was weak. Above all other annoyances, his personality is like nails down a chalkboard. Even when he's right, he's so smug and sanctimonious, I roll my eyes and think, "Shut up, Oliver!"

Needless to say, it wasn't Oliver's character that attracted me to the series. I came for some villains and Flash. However, in the few episodes I've watched, I must say this version of Green Arrow is superior to his comic counterpart, which is rare. Oliver is contemplative instead of a sermonizing jerk. His costume, which is among comics' worst designs, isn't a distraction. The situations he encounters cater to his lack of super powers and the limitations with his weapon of choice. With this series, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

He never had many villains. Merlyn and Count Vertigo are the big ones. He kiled Drakon in the pilot. Brick, Onomatopoeia, and Clock King haven't been used yet. I can't see Brick staying under wraps forever. Onomatopoeia was a character the writers admitted they had a difficult time adapting to live action, agreeing with creator Kevin Smith. And Clock King needs some reworking, and is currently being redone in Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow comics. They could perhaps be waiting for that version to inform theirs. But I suppose they'd rather find villains from the wider DCU to suit their story than focus on building their story around the 5 or so recurring villains Green Arrow has.

I was thinking about the Onomatopoeia thing, the whole gun issue. A silencer would be pretty obvious choice. If they put thought in how they do the character, they can pull it off. Than it's not like they 100% accurately portrayed any of the villains on the show.

Hell, I'm still steaming over Drakon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"