Arrow Arrow is basically Batman

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
I'm still watching the first season, and Roy Harper just appeared; but is it only me or Arrow is basically Batman with a bow and arrow?

There are Batman villains and characters left and right.
Felicity is basically Barbara Gordon's Oracle
Diggle is the equivalent of Alfred, but instead of a butler he is "bodyguard"
Quentin Lance is Jim Gordon
McKenna Hall is Renee Montoya
Roy Harper, starting as a street thug, a thief with anger issues is basically Jason Todd.

Even Green Arrow has that Batman's graveling voice and a "batcave"

It's a god damn mess....

There's more!
Count Verigo= Joker
Jason Blood = Scarecrow
Cyrus Gold = Bane
Deathstroke= Ras Al ghul/Ducard
Ras Al Ghul= uh. . . um. . . whatever.

that said, it's still the second best live action Batman TV show.

yes, we know.

"A god damn mess." Ummmm bye.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. Outside of Nolan's explanation for the bat motif, it seemed like a silly concept for a vigilante. I will definitely be looking into this show.

I hope we get something more creative once he starts becoming Green Arrow

Last edited:
Let's be honest. Green Arrow was always a (pretty damn cool, btw) second rate Batman. He's finds a calling. He's rich. He's a vigilante with no superpowers in a big city. He uses theatricality and deception.

I prefer GA to Batman, honestly. He's a lot more fun and now such a downer. And he can easily interact with The rest of Batmans cast, so it's no biggie.

In the comics that's been a running joke since the silver age. Also why writers always made Bruce and Ollie very close friends. At least prior to the new 52 anyway.

Wasn't this the basic idea behind his creation?

Comparatively, I prefer Ollie's backstory to Bruce's.

Eh, there are worse characters you can compare Arrow to. Who cares though, its a kick ass show. Batman rip off or not.

Isildur´s Heir;27812873 said:
I'm still watching the first season, and Roy Harper just appeared; but is it only me or Arrow is basically Batman with a bow and arrow?

Uh... SO not just you. Even in the pilot he had the Begins beard while on the island. I think it's funny at times, but overall, it's like... would I watch a Batman show like this? Yeah, I would. Would I like the show better if it didn't have the same characters I just saw on a higher budget in Nolan's Batman? Yeah... wait... that's what I have! :hrt:

Yeah, GA has always been a Batman copy since the 60's. Even the recent TV show Batman: the Brave and the Bold acknowledge it with the way they portrayed a friendly rivalry between the two.

Isildur´s Heir;27812873 said:

There are Batman villains and characters left and right.
Felicity is basically Barbara Gordon's Oracle
Diggle is the equivalent of Alfred, but instead of a butler he is "bodyguard"
Quentin Lance is Jim Gordon
McKenna Hall is Renee Montoya
Roy Harper, starting as a street thug, a thief with anger issues is basically Jason Todd.

Even Green Arrow has that Batman's graveling voice and a "batcave"

It's a god damn mess....

Pretty much exactly....and exactly why I can't get into the show.

There is nothing wrong in liking the show, i find it watchable, but hardly as good as people say it is.
There isn't one single original idea in all of that.

But i blame WB/DC Comics for that.
Just like the the X-Men cinematographic universe is all around Wolverine, so is DC movie/tv universe all around Batman.
They had the idea of making a Bruce Wayne tv show, changed their mind and made Smallville.
In Smallville, they put Green Arrow there because they "couldn't" use Batman (couldn't in the likes of wanting to keep him for the movies, and it's not that hard to arrive to the conclusion that GA was basically a Batman replacement).
Then they made The Dark Knight trilogy.....now, the second Superman movie will have Batman (which is borderline pathetic).
Arrow is Batman with a bow and arrow....

Don't get me wrong, i love Batman (my favorite comic book character, followed by Spidey), but enough is enough.....it's like they don't have no faith in their own characters.

Let's be honest. Green Arrow was always a (pretty damn cool, btw) second rate Batman. He's finds a calling. He's rich. He's a vigilante with no superpowers in a big city. He uses theatricality and deception.
That isn't GA as far as i'm concerned.
Green Arrow is the Neal Adams and Dennis O'Neil run, that was when he was really interesting and original, when he was an outspoken advocate of the underprivileged in society and the political left wing.
He was never a "Batman wannabe", he was his own man, his own character.

The Mike Grell run was also very good, much more gritty and violent, they could very well kept that......but not make almost a copy/paste of Batman like they did in the show.

But Green Arrow the hero, not Oliver Queen the person, has always had similarities too batman in that he had and "arrow cave", various gadgets, rich, sidekicks, doesn't kill(in the comics) ect. At least this is how he was introduced.

Green Arrow has always had similarities to Batman. And a lot of the elements you describe aren't limited to just Batman...they are story elements that many other characters have utilized.

If they're using elements similar to Batman lore that aren't being used elsewhere in cinema and television...what's the big deal?

I think they started on the Nolan theme...but I think little by little we will see Oliver change into his snarky, funny self in the future. I hope they don't go down this road for much longer. I figure Felicity is rubbing off on him. Like in the scene where she's like "Way to convince yourself out of a victory." and he's like, "It's a gift." I figure more and more he'll come out.

I just don't anyone as emo as Batman.

I just don't anyone as emo as Batman.

You mean like Smallville made Clark Kent emo. lol

To many times I watched Smallville I was like man these guys really want to write a Bruce Wayne Story don't they.

I like the direction they took Green Arrow so far.
I like the slow and natural progression from returning from the island to becoming a superhero.
Also I like that he didn't return from the island and automatically start acting normal.
Just like Bruce Wayne's parent's murders the island would seriously mess him up and he would probably be grim too.

It is pretty much a batman show, yeah. But I enjoy it, especially since we won't get a batman show like this

Tv1a5xY.gif

Is this thread really necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"