Arrow (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
I thought this could be a place to suggest/talk about any Green Arrow graphic novel suggestions for fans of the show/character and even the tue-in comic if anyone's reading it.

Firstly I have so far read:

Green Arrow Year One

2662182.jpg

Definitely one to pick up for fans of the show, it's a very grounded in reality take on the character.

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

568737.jpg

I'm only just over a quarter if the way through this but it's fantastic so far. It features an ageing Oliver Queen tracking down a serial killer (more to this but dont want to spoil it) and dealing with his relationship with Dinah.

I don't think I've ever read a solo GA story, with the exception of Alan Moore's. But I do need to pick up Year One eventually.

Is it available in graphic novel format?

Yep. Quiver & Sounds of Violence. Quiver has more supernatural elements. But Sounds of Violence is more grounded and features the debut of Onomatopoeia.

Yep. Quiver & Sounds of Violence. Quiver has more supernatural elements. But Sounds of Violence is more grounded and features the debut of Onomatopoeia.

You know what was a good Green Arrow run it was a cross over with Green Lantern, and I'm not talking Hal. Oliver and Kyle teamed up to take down the Black Cirlce. Not sure if they made a graphic novel of it or not but I read it when it came out in the issues for both Green lantern and Green Arrow.

FINALLY...a green arrow thread. I have to ask...whos enjoying the Green Arrow story that is going on so far?? the Jeff Lemire one??

FINALLY...a green arrow thread. I have to ask...whos enjoying the Green Arrow story that is going on so far?? the Jeff Lemire one??

Me! I'm loving it, but not a fan of the coloring. It washes out the details in the pencils and ink I think.

Me! I'm loving it, but not a fan of the coloring. It washes out the details in the pencils and ink I think.

It is a different look but...i like different. It can be better but....so far so good. Im enjoying it too.

I haven't read the new 52 stuff, I think I might have to pick up some of it

I just read Green Arrow: Year One and I loved it! I see why people say it's a "more realistic" aproach to GA, except for one thing, I think...

His reluctancy to kill.
He becomes a hunter out of a need for survival, and then when he sees himself and the innocent people of the island in danger he shoots the thugs in the arms, legs, etc. but why? Why wouldn't he kill'em? There nothing in the story that validates a "no killing" stand on his part, particularly considering the "realistic" aproach they take with the story, anyone of us, no matter how good a person we are, would find justifiable to kill in self-defense; funnily enough, coming to this conclution after readin GA:Y1 makes me be fine with Ollie killing in "Arrow", since now I think it's gonna be part of his character develepment, from hunter to hero.
Also, I thought it was cannon that he spent 5 years in the island, but in the book it seems like it was only a few months, can anyone elaborate on that?? Thank you

Polux

I haven't read the new 52 stuff, I think I might have to pick up some of it

Lemire's run is when it gets good and that starts at #17. They're only on #18 now, so a good time to hop in.

So glad I came across this thread. I always had interest for Green Arrow but never really checked out any comics. After watching the show i finally decided to check them out. Man I'm happy I did. Mike Grell's run was probably some of the best comics I've read. I'm about 20 issues in and I can't wait to collect more

Grell's run is some of the best stuff you'll find. I've always liked the street-level take on Ollie. Lemire's (sp?) is currently going a LONG way in making not me hate the New 52. That being said, I can't recommend anything before issue 17 of Green Arrow.

I know they wanted a little of it to reflect the popularity of the Smallville Ollie, but...execution wise, I find it lacking.

And issue 0? UGH!

How's Kevin smiths run on the comic? I'm a fan of his, so I figure I might start reading his stuff.

Ah...Smith's run.

Personally, I'm kind of torn on that one. I may be in the minority, but I certainly didn't find it bad...but I didn't find it to be top-notch. I'd probably rate the stories about about a solid B. The first story-arc deals heavily in the supernatural, and reestablishes Ollie as GA.

I didn't like it quite as much as I did Guardian Devil, but I don't really have a lot of experience with Smith's comic writings to compare it to.

I do think that Smith's way of bringing him back was both imaginative and appropriate. Something I don't often find with resurrected super heroes.

The second arc, as was mentioned above, introduces a new villain: Onomatopoeia. I actually like the second story better. I think the characterizations are a bit better.

Sadly, I'm not very far into the series after that. I finished Archer's Quest, but haven't gone beyond there...

How's Kevin smiths run on the comic? I'm a fan of his, so I figure I might start reading his stuff.

From what I recall, I thought Smith's run was okay. His was the first Green Arrow comics I read so I had nothing to compare it to. That being said, I enjoyed what I read of his run. As was already mentioned, the first arc dabbles in the supernatural so if that isn't your thing you might want to skip that.

I've only recently read some of Grell's Green Arrow series. It just feels like the TV show is a spiritual successor to it, though the show isn't quite as gritty. I wouldn't mind reading the whole Grell run. I read Long Bow Hunters and five issues of the following series. I enjoyed it.

Green Arrow Year One remains one of my favorite stories, Green Arrow or otherwise. I think Diggle just got so much right with that origin tale. And China White made for a great villain.

I couldn't get into the New 52 Green Arrow until Jeff Lemire. I'm not completely sold on Lemire just yet, but I do like the new tone he has set and the artwork is great.

I was kind of turned off by Quiver. I wasn't really into the supernatural stuff. Ollie was cool and Batman was badass when he was in it. Other than that I'd rather Have the gritty street hero rather than the supernatural elements.

I read Year One too! Good stuff, I'm not sure what should I read next though :yay:

Quiver was pretty heavy on the supernatural side - something not all that common in GA. Even considering the whole DC Mythos. That being said, I DO think it was decent, considering it was a 'Resurrection' story line. Certain tie-ins, and the placing of where certain characters (i.e. Hal) does allow it to make sense...

As for what to read after Year One, that depends on what you want for flavor. If you want the feel of Arrow, then read Grell's run in the eighties. Longbow Hunters is a good place to start (also the first appearances of both Shado and Eddie Fyers, if I recall correctly).

Grells run through issue...was in the 60s, I believe, basically ran as a 'mature' title and stayed away from the majority of the main-stream super heroics. Very down to Earth, gritty, etc. Can't remember all of the stories, so I couldn't say how well the they stand up to the test of time.

When Grell left, they integrated the book back into the mainstream. Eventually Ollie 'dies', and his son takes over the mantle, running through the cancellation of the book (and it's relaunch with Smith writing).

Smith's Quiver story line started the line that ran through the the early 21st century (I think it's volume 3, don't quote me on that, might be 4). This runs until the book transitions over to the Green Arrow/Black Canary book, which was then cancelled.

Some of my details may be slightly off, I wasn't reading comics for most of this period. Just now catching up with the later story lines here.

After that, it went into the post-Blackest Night/Brightest Day story line. Star City is FUBAR, has a giant star-shaped forest growing in the center, and Ollie has taken on a 'Robin Hood' approach. There was quite a bit more mysticism involved (I'm loath to say magic, but it really was). They even hinted at giving him 'Merry Men', and he met (and rescued) a 'Maid Marian'. This book got cancelled with the shift to the New 52.

If you want good, old-fashioned silver-age camp (in the form of solid stories), read anything with Hal and Ollie back when they were the Hard Traveling Heroes. Basically, the pair of them palled around the US in an old, beat up truck and experienced the plight of the 'little man'. They were accompanied by one of the Guardians, Ganthet, who also wanted to experience a little more of Earth.

Sadly, if you want 'current continuity', which ignored pretty much (i.e. all) that I just listed, then you're going to want to start with the newest stuff: the New 52. The first two/three story lines were OK. In my honest opinion, it went down hill quickly from there. They seemed to be pulling from the Smallville/Justin Hartley Oliver Queen - younger, brash, apparently a good for nothing (okay, that's most Ollie), and still involved heavily in Queen Consolidated, especially Q-Core - which is their applied sciences division.

It's all well and good. The Hartley-Ollie may not be my favorite rendition - which is the writing/portrayal on the show, not a smack at Hartley's acting since he did do a decent job - but if the stories don't hold up, they don't hold up. They didn't.

Issue 0, which DC used as it's origin issues to give some background on this new cluster(insert word here) they made of a universe, seemed to be trying to give a new reason for Ollie to be on the Island (I won't spoil, let's just say no ship was harmed in the writing of this story), as well as setting up Tommy Merlyn as the potential Merlyn the Magnificent.

Issue 17 was (and I'll say it again, in my opinion), on a completely other level. I mean it was GOOD. Some of the coloration seemed to mute out the look of the lines, but the story is solid and the art fits. It's too early to see if the new creative team saved the book, but I'll say that 4 issues in, I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue.

Which sucks because the last issue, #20, came out two days ago. The story causes a major upheaval in Ollies life, introduced a new villain with an old feel, and has left us asking 'What', 'Why', 'How', and 'Huh?' while waiting for more. Which, I think any good story should.

Individual mileage may vary, and seeing as Ollie ranks in my top faves of all time, I may be biased.

You know what was also a good Green Arrow central story, its a Justice League book but Ollie is the main narrative. Identity Crisis. Fantastic story

Ok, so I've always been a Marvel guy but always really liked Green Arrow (only read the origin stories, the one by Kirby and the one where he and Speedy have to get to the island to keep people from finding out about his origin).

Just ordered Year One and the Long Bow Hunters.

Can someone give me a comprehensive must read list in order? Hooked on the show so might as well start getting familiar with the comic character.

Spider‑Man;25798143 said:
Just ordered Year One and the Long Bow Hunters.

Can someone give me a comprehensive must read list in order? Hooked on the show so might as well start getting familiar with the comic character.

Well this reply comes kinda late, but if you're still interested I'd say that those two you ordered back then are the perfect start.

As an alternative to Year One (but it's really more to have fun seeing different visions of the same character) I'd recommend "The Wonder Year", it is Grell's attempt at an origin story and it is extremely bound to the time it was written (I've read that they wanted to age the heroes back then and therefore grounded the comics in reality with references to actual events).

If you want to read chronologically read the Green Lantern/Green Arrow crossovers by Denny O'Neil after Year One. They were collected some time ago. Oliver has already lost his wealth there and has become political. You will notice that there is a gap in his career. Unfortunately his first years of activity were never showed in a solo series (Except for Green Arrow Volume One which was a mini series of 4 issues were he solves a mistery/crime). Speedy and Arrow meeting has never been rewritten as far as i know. You'll have to read golden age stuff for that.

Right now DC is starting to collect Green Arrow's 2nd Volume. The first book is out (I think). It's the second story arch by Grell (after LongbowH.). It's called "Hunter's moon".

The other volume 2 things are not collected (yet). Try to get your hands on them. There are some great stories. (If you don't, the most important things to know before volume 3 are that Olly pretty much looses everyone in his life, finds his son Connor who wants to follow his father's footsteps and gets killed in the end. Connor replaces him afterwards).

Afterwards it's pretty easy. Volume 3, Volume 1 of Green Arrow/Black Canary and Volume 4 (only 15 issues) were all entirely collected.
You can find the names of the collected issues on Wikipedia. It all starts with Ollies ressurection in "Quiver".

Inbetween GA/BC and Volume 4 you might want to read "Blackest Night" to understand certain things.

Other important stories for Ollie are the two JLA archs: "Identity Crisis" and "Cry For Justice" (the latter happens right before Blackest Night, IdentityC. happens somewhere in between Volume 3).After Cry For Justice you need to read the aftermath: "JLA:Rise and Fall special".

Afterwards there was the DC Universe reboot. Made in a (failed) attempt to refresh the characters. Don't read those comics until issue 17. From then on it's quite good.

I hope this is of some help, although being so late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"