The Dark Knight Rises Do you feel that the films' rating hurt the storytelling??

the5timechamp

Civilian
Reaction score
The trilogy has done a great job of implying the most severe of its violence but do you see it as hurting the overall storytelling ability by limiting itself in what it can show?? I am not asking that we see gore or blood...but surely some minor scenes probably got cut to skirt the ratings line...

Do you feel any scenes might have suffered because of these types of edits??
-To me the actual sacking of Gotham would be something that suffered for ratings.
-Perhaps the retaking of Gothams by the cops was shortchanged as well because anything of a "larger" scale would invite gunplay perhaps??

It might be scarier if there wouldn't be rating issue but i don't think it hurt story telling.

We could see Bane twisting necks,Batman slashing faces, blood from gunshots,better warfare.. but these are not Omaha Beach scene so it's fine with this way.

I think it only did in the sense Nolan's oddly shied away from shooting things permissible in a PG-13 but apparently didn't want to risk it. You rarely see a character shoot another on screen directly, the actual "shooting" often appears somewhat disguised. This is particularly annoying in Inception and parts of the Dark Knight.

Otherwise, no not at all. In fact, I'd argue it was a deliberate artistic decision on Nolan's part so as to leave more ambiguity and stretch the viewer's imagination to cruel and disturbing places, particularly in the case of The Joker. The abstract quality of the character coinciding with never quite knowing 'how' he did what he did and so on, added to the mystery and presence of the character. In Rises I didn't notice many, really.

-Vader

PG-13 was more hardcore when I was a kid, well, when they had to invent it.

Batman has never really been about ultra-violence so the rating is fine, Nolan did a great job of not showing things but still feeling the impact of Bane's neck work and Jokers knife work without actually showing it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Miranda do a topless dance, but the actual implication of them having sex, (batman putting her to sleep btw) then Batman being so overwhelmed that he had to fly to the top of a bridge.

I don't think you can get moments like that in an R rated film.

I wouldn't mind seeing Miranda do a topless dance, but the actual implication of them having sex, (batman putting her to sleep btw) then Batman being so overwhelmed that he had to fly to the top of a bridge.

I don't think you can get moments like that in an R rated film.

If it did, then it's the writers' fault.

Plus, I think that the Star Wars prequels may have set an all-time record for the amount of dismemberments and acts of violence/murder/gunplay onscreen. "Y'know....for kids."

The trilogy has done a great job of implying the most severe of its violence but do you see it as hurting the overall storytelling ability by limiting itself in what it can show?? I am not asking that we see gore or blood...but surely some minor scenes probably got cut to skirt the ratings line...

Do you feel any scenes might have suffered because of these types of edits??
-To me the actual sacking of Gotham would be something that suffered for ratings.
-Perhaps the retaking of Gothams by the cops was shortchanged as well because anything of a "larger" scale would invite gunplay perhaps??

Yes. While watching the movie, the Foley death scene made me think that the rating was responsible for his.....interesting death.

Yes. While watching the movie, the Foley death scene made me think that the rating was responsible for his.....interesting death.

Yeah, really. I saw the clips of the stunt man taking the hits from the tumbler, and to be honest, I'd be super pissed if I were him.

Those things are painful, no matter how good you are. Coming from a tank, no less.

I don't even think Foley's death is in the script.

Definitely. That final scene (cops vs. mercenaries) is almost unwatchable because of how stupidly it ends out. The cops are rushing head-on at hundreds of mercenaries who are holding assault rifles, and yet we only see a couple of them drop. How the hell do trained mercenaries HOLDING ASSAULT RIFLES only manage to gun down a couple of cops who are rushing straight at them? I understand this movie had to tame some things to get the rating it did, but there are just way too many flaws

No the rating didn't hurt any of the films. Batman doesn't need buckets of blood to be a serious movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"