Superman Returns Do you think they should dedicate this film to Christopher Reeve?

A simple text dedication to him and Dana, mentioning the Christopher Reeve Foundation at the end before the credits scroll, will be more respectful than inserting an image of Chris into the film. Like the ending of the Crow.

Lightning54SC said:
well what would you think would be a good way to sign off then? should me make a thread on this or keep it here?

truthfully dude, i dont remember if there was a thread about that, if there isnt you can try to create one why not :)

now how should Routh sign off? i dunno dude, just not the Chris Reeve way of doing it. in all fairness to Routh, if he did a good job he should be validated as his own work and not a "rip off" of Chris Reeve (which with all the references to the Donner films, might happen to the poor chap)

No dedication, just a picture of Reeve with his name, birthdate, date of his death, and the motto of his foundation; "Go Forward"

oh my stars and garters

it'd be too distracting, I think. Just open the movie and let it do its thing and maybe a dedication at the end of the film. or "in memory" would be better to me.

i don't think there was a question that any dedication or mention of Christopher Reeve would HAVE to come after the movie...

oh my stars and garters

:D Yeah I love it.

I thought it was being dedicated to Reeve. Am I wrong?

Btw...I think Reeve was the first cinematic Superman. I might be the only one, until Routh since the film releases.

I thought Reeve was the ONLY actor to play Superman in FILM. The rests were shows.

ChrisBaleBatman said:

Btw...I think Reeve was the first cinematic Superman. I might be the only one, until Routh since the film releases.

I thought Reeve was the ONLY actor to play Superman in FILM. The rests were shows.

Unless I am mistaken, Superman vs the Mole Men was the first actual Superman theatrical release, with George Reeves.

As far as a dedication, how about a simple "for Dana and Chris" right after Routh's Superman flies into the sunset.

Actually the first ever cinematic Superman was played by Kirk Allyn in the serial movies 'the Adventures of Superman' (1948) and 'the Atom Man Vs. Superman' (1950).

I for one, don't think it should be dedicated to Reeve. Why? This over-sentimentality over Chris Reeve, when there have been a plethora of actors who've portrayed Superman, is really just getting ridiculous.

This is Brandon Routh's movie -- not Chris Reeve's (in any way!), let it be Routh's untouched, un-overshadowed, and unaffected by Christopher Reeve. God bless the man, but he has passed and as Singer has said, Superman is larger that Christopher Reeve -- it's a collective idea, a collective hero that transcends any man or actor. Leave Reeve in his films, this is Routh. He's our new Superman. From this point forward, Routh is Superman -- it's that simple.

Routh is not a substitute, a layover, a carbon. He's not like the current pope, a transitional figurehead. No. He is Superman, Christopher is no longer.

I just don't understand this nauseating sentimentality over a figure that, if he were alive, probably would be fully behind embracing Routh as the new Superman, fully willing to relinquish whatever claim he may have, and pushing a old hero onto a new generation.

Any idea, from a simple dedication to the rather, I think, tasteless and cinematically obstrusive idea of grafting Reeve's face over Routh's, is just plain melodramatic sentiment.

I hate to be so frank, but Reeve has passed on. Sadly, yes. Before his time, perhaps. But he has passed on, its seriously time that people stop attempting to resurrect him in anything and everything Superman.

No dedication to Reeve. In many ways, he has very little -- as an actor or person -- to do with this film. The story, the visuals, the themes all come from the writers and directors -- not Reeve. I'm not hating on Reeve but, just, come on...

Um...well, the Man was Superman. He gave life to the character and symbolized and embodied the role and the character.

I get it....you guys wanna move on and forget him, fine.

But.......if it gets some awarness to his foundation, and stem cell research...I'm all for it.

Plus.....alot of people might criticize it for not having one. Reeve is still very present in everyone's mind.....not just Superman fans.

Your right, alot of actors have portrayed the character. But non of them as ever been as good or near as great as he was. The man was larger than life. And not just for how he portrayed the Man of Steel....but for how he proved he wasn't just acting the part, but was the man after the accident.

I consider this to be te final farewell, and I think it should be done. Far as I know, Singer announced it would be done a few months ago when he spoke at a Reeves foundation convention......I might be mistaken, so can someoe correct me if I'm wrong?

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Um...well, the Man was Superman. He gave life to the character and symbolized and embodied the role and the character.

I get it....you guys wanna move on and forget him, fine.

But.......if it gets some awarness to his foundation, and stem cell research...I'm all for it.

Plus.....alot of people might criticize it for not having one. Reeve is still very present in everyone's mind.....not just Superman fans.

All the more reason to leave politics out of it (stem cell research is still politically charged) and to hope this movie is powerful enough to move people away from Reeve -- and not do a great job and then, undercut itself with a dedication as if in some way, he made the movie good, not Routh.

Well, if the dedication is at the end......with a number or a website to the Reeves Foundation......just a few seconds on screen....I don't see how it would hurt the film.

It could flash after the dedication.

I think it might be warrented considering how closely related this film is to the original.

ChrisBaleBatman said:

Superman Versus the Molemen was a feature, and the Kirk Alyn Serials played in Movie theaters.

Oh okay, didn't know that.

Most serials were played in theaters in the early years, weren't they? Like the old Batman serials as well.

I think if they do a dedication it should be just like the one for
Geoffrey Unsworth in the beginning of STM. Before the opening credits it just reads "Dedicated to Christopher and Dana Reeve"

Yeah, that'd be cool.

But, didn't Singer already confirm this?

Cool.
Do you know if it's at the beginning or the end of the film?

he said this like around the time he died, so things might have changed from thos many months ago

I doubt it......Singer hardly seem the type to back track on something like that. He doesn't seem the type.

Well he was like Superman I and II are prequels that its like no Superman II is a bad movie....He pulled a George Lucas...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"