Superman Returns "Does he still stand for Truth, Justice, All of that..."

Whack Arnolds

Sidekick
Reaction score
Why does Perry White not say the "American Way" to finish it off? Is Singer thinking that it sound corny, or that they just want to neglect the American metaphor for the character? I was wondering, and thought that it would have sounded better if Perry White would have said that instead of "All of that"... Is it just me or a select few, that rather them acknowledge the "American Way" aspects of the character? I mean this is a 1940's / Fleicher-ish Superman...the "American" metaphors and symbolism were the strongest in that mythos.

it is no more then American way.... we have to be politcally correct now :(

Yeah, unfortunately, they did away with 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way' a while ago.

American way wasn't there to start, so it doesn't bother me.

Whack Arnolds said:
Why does Perry White not say the "American Way" to finish it off? Is Singer thinking that it sound corny, or that they just want to neglect the American metaphor for the character? I was wondering, and thought that it would have sounded better if Perry White would have said that instead of "All of that"... Is it just me or a select few, that rather them acknowledge the "American Way" aspects of the character? I mean this is a 1940's / Fleicher-ish Superman...the "American" metaphors and symbolism were the strongest in that mythos.

It's Perry's way of saying yadda yadda yadda like he never really bought into it.

Check out some of the interviews for Set Reports, it is explained in detail by Singer.

hell he could've said

truth, justice and all that ****

maybe the censored it for the trailer? :p

They said "American Way" on Smallville like 2 weeks ago. Ma Kent was reading Clark a speech she was gonna give and it ended with something about "Truth, justice, and the American Way". Not that it means anything though, just pointing out that it's not completely forgotten.

superman is for the whole world. yes he is still an american icon. he is proud to be american. but he is there for all of us. so i think this is better.
but american fans will obviously complain.

dark_b said:
superman is for the whole world. yes he is still an american icon. he is proud to be american. but he is there for all of us. so i think this is better.
It doesn't mean that he only serves America, it's saying that he believes in the American way. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, all men are created equal, and such ideas. The ideals that America was founded on, that are really ideas that are universally exceptable.

Ask a hundred people worldwide what 'the American way' is and you'll get mainly negative answers.

Well yeah, that is his classic catch phrase...or cliche used to describe him. The fact that they aren't recognizing it is BOGUS. It's not just about being an American, Superman single handedly REPRESENTS the American Dream. Comming from nothing (immigrant) to something (Superman). It's synonamous with the character...along with "it's a bird, it's a plane, no its Superman"... or "Faster than a speeding bullet, etc."

ToddIsDead said:
It doesn't mean that he only serves America, it's saying that he believes in the American way. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, all men are created equal, and such ideas. The ideals that America was founded on, that are really ideas that are universally exceptable.
if this is what this means thatn thank god that they didnt do it. :mad:
because the american way IMO is not teh perfect way.

Kevin Roegele said:
Ask a hundred people worldwide what 'the American way' is and you'll get mainly negative answers.
That's not the point. It's supposed to represent what we think is the American Way and what it ideally meant to be.

Kevin Roegele said:
And you'd find that those people are ignorant towards the basic principles that America was founded upon, because the 'American Way' refers to such ideas, not what Bush has done to the world in his turn as President.

Maybe it sounded too hetero for White to say the whole classic line.

Just a thought.

the amercian way is the best way, and im sure his creators jewish immigrants [who came to enjoy that way] know exactly what that way is. America is the greatest country on earth, and its only right superman should and always should value its culture and ways more then others. lOng live the american way!

Whack Arnolds said:
Why does Perry White not say the "American Way" to finish it off?

Probably because the american way has nothing to do with truth or justice anymore... just joshin
:eek:

really, the concept opens the market to a wider audience by not including it. It makes Superman more of a world citizen, rather than an american, and an american only. In this world of globalization, making Superman a symbol for any one country just won't work. The international market needs to be appeased. That's the simple answer

ToddIsDead said:
And you'd find that those people are ignorant towards the basic principles that America was founded upon, because the 'American Way' refers to such ideas, not what Bush has done to the world in his turn as President.

In the eyes of the world, every country is defined by it's current leadership, rather than it's basic principles and founding ideals. Which is exactly why you would get a "negative answer".

dark_b said:

Hey guys,

Wanted to point out this old Superman cartoon:

"Superman is responsible for several acts of sabotage at the Yokohama Navy Yard in Japan. Lois Lane is held hostage but Superman saves the day. Animation by William Bowsky and William Henning. Music by Sammy Timberg. Produced in 1942."

http://www.archive.org/details/superman_eleventh_hour

You have to see it, it shows Superman pulling down Japaniese ships and blowing up buildings, its hilarious.

Regarding the "American Way", it would have been nice but it seemed that they changed this one two "Its a bird, its a plane, no it, Did you want to see me"

I dont think its about PC, just about rhythm and attitude the character has in the context of that scene.

It's about PC.

But its no big deal.

Having him say the entire cliche phrase would not only come across as cheesy in that scene, but it simply doesn't fit Perry's character.

Stop looking for conspiracies where there aren't any.

Spider Ham said:
Having him say the entire cliche phrase would not only come across as cheesy in that scene, but it simply doesn't fit Perry's character.

Stop looking for conspiracies where there aren't any.

Exactly!

Perry's line represents a time where people have forgotten about Superman and have learned to deal without him. Perry is and always was interested in the story itself, the headlines. It's his way of saying "and all that ****" like he doesn't really buy it but he knows it'll make great headlines.

It has nothing to do with anti-American sentiments anywhere...at least, it didn't to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"