Superman Returns "Does he still stand for Truth, Justice, All of that..."

Superfreak said:
it's actually the original central metaphor for the entire concept of superman, saw it in some documentary a while back. He is the ultimate immigrant, making his dream come true, with the gifts that he brings from his old home, to his new... or some mumbo jumbo like that
Thank You, I thought it was quite obvious. I mean his creators were Jewish folk, that came from nothing (I believe as immigrants) and developed into the people who created Superman, and probably became very rich men. Superman is the ultimate immigrant. He didn't come into Ellis Island on a boat though, he came into "Classic America"...Farmland out in Kansas on a spaceship. Superman and the story of Clark Kent / Kal-El is the ULTIMATE IMMIGRANT story.

It's part of the canon. It should have been left in. theyhad the same concern when making STM over Vietnam. But Donner said that is the line, so leave it in. We are making a Superman movie, and that is what he says. The world needs to stop being cry babys. If it wasn't for America, Hitler would have been ruling Europe. I am sick of this pissy crap.

We get *****ed about being so bad by the same people we have large city protests by people here illegally who want the right to stay here. If we are so bad, why stay? Sick of this stuff.

buggs0268 said:
It's part of the canon. It should have been left in. theyhad the same concern when making STM over Vietnam. But Donner said that is the line, so leave it in. We are making a Superman movie, and that is what he says.
Exactly. It's about the big picture, just not what current political upheval and opinions on said government is about AT THE TIME. Look at the BIG PICTURE. Superman is meant to inspire, let him possibly inspire the ways to restore the opinions on the United States of America. :up:

I sat down with my Uncle a year ago who was a kid at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7 1941. He was 8. His dad was military. He remembers walking around the shipyards in the morning when the planes came in and started dropping bombs. He remembers dodging bombs and bullets trying to get to safety. He remembers crawling over people half alive and charred. He remembers two days later going to school on the bus and for a week being told to close their ears when they drove by an opening to the bay near the sunken Arizona hearing the screams of service men still trapped into it that they could not get out. he remembers the coffins stacked 10 feet high lining Kalakaua Avenue. And he remembers how people just bucked up and got down to business. And he remembers Hitler basically being pissed at What Japan did, esentially telling them "You idiots. You now got them involved. We are f***ed. Amarican's are crazy and they won't stop." And he had no choice but to declare war with us right then and there, without them doing anything to us, because he knew he had to because we were now involved and going to kick some ass. He also said, had that happened today, he doubt we would have won.

Why should superman stand for the American way those power hungry/oil hungry americans, I don't think superman want to stand for that. And don't say I lie guys.

explode7 said:
Why should superman stand for the American way those power hungry/oil hungry americans, I don't think superman want to stand for that. And don't say I lie guys.

Trust me, that post is gonna come back to bite you in the fanny :o

They could change it too what it was at the beginning of one of the Superfriends cartoons..."Truth, Justice & Peace for all Mankind!"

explode7 said:
Power hungry, what is power hungry about ANYTHING America is doing? This statement alone is offensive, and un-Superman-ish. You may not agree with some of the current policies, and choices of our government...but it is far from the evil you are trying to potray it as.

Venom71 said:
They could change it too what it was at the beginning of one of the Superfriends cartoons..."Truth, Justice & Peace for all Mankind!"

lol I'm watching superfriends right now. It's crap. :supes: :)

Whack Arnolds said:
Power hungry, what is power hungry about ANYTHING America is doing? This statement alone is offensive, and un-Superman-ish. You may not agree with some of the current policies, and choices of our government...but it is far from the evil you are trying to potray it as.

This should not even be a point of discussion here. This is the Superman Returns spoilers forum... jeez, we should be discussing Superman, and not the policy decisions of our leaders, or how we feel about America. I think this thread has reached it's saturation point.

Note to the mods: Please consider closing.

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
This should not even be a point of discussion here. This is the Superman Returns spoilers forum... jeez, we should be discussing Superman, and not the policy decisions of our leaders, or how we feel about America. I think this thread has reached it's saturation point.

Note to the mods: Please consider closing.
Note: to M.E.H.Z.E.B. this thread wasn't started to discuss politics, and I didn't bring up any statements putting down other countries or governmental regimes... so mind your own business, and let the mods do what they feel is best. They don't need a "note" from you, on what to, or not to lock. :up:

Whack Arnolds said:
Note: to M.E.H.Z.E.B. this thread wasn't started to discuss politics, and I didn't bring up any statements putting down other countries or governmental regimes... so mind your own business, and let the mods do what they feel is best. They don't need a "note" from you, on what to, or not to lock. :up:

Wow. Such wisdom. Did you read that out of a cereal box?

Wesyeed said:
lol I'm watching superfriends right now. It's crap. :supes: :)
Hey Challenge of the Superfriends was cool..no Wendy, Marvin & Wonderdog or Zan and Jayna and their Space Monkey Gleek!:)

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
Wow. Such wisdom. Did you read that out of a cereal box?
No, I read it on the tag of your mother's Victoria Secret's panties... :up:

Whack Arnolds said:

414644.gif

You'd take those words back if you had any sense left...

why cant we all just get along!?

....and that was a rhetorical question. thankyouverymuch. :)

Whack Arnolds said:
Are you serious? That is a legitimate metaphor within the Superman mythos.

do you know what the american dream is? Coming here with NOTHING and struggling, making something of yourself.

superman was a boy with powers, then he grew up to be a man with powers. i'm missing the part where he struggled to get anything he has.

Whack Arnolds said:
Comments like that are uncalled for....straighten up.

explode7 said:
Is this a verbal fight???

No one's fighting. This Whack Arnold character wants to show us that he has issues with his family life, and therefore attempts to get a shadow of his former manhood back, by attacking other posters, and trying to insult them, by saying stuff about their mothers. It clearly shows that he has no respect for his own mother, or for mothers in general.

SLYspyder said:
do you know what the american dream is? Coming here with NOTHING and struggling, making something of yourself.

superman was a boy with powers, then he grew up to be a man with powers. i'm missing the part where he struggled to get anything he has.
No, he comes from nothing "No true parents", and on Krypton he wouldn't have these "powers".... is sent to earth on a spcaeship (the haven and place to where he can be successful, ala America) as most immigrants left their families back in their place of origin, and he learns OF HIS powers...doesn't really use them, till he makes it in the big city. That is a metaphor and symbolism of the American Dream.

C. Lee said:
Comments like that are uncalled for....straighten up.
Ok... I apologize, but:

No one's fighting. This Whack Arnold character wants to show us that he has issues with his family life, and therefore attempts to get a shadow of his former manhood back, by attacking other posters, and trying to insult them, by saying stuff about their mothers. It clearly shows that he has no respect for his own mother, or for mothers in general.

Don't let others tell you how to do your job. I was sticking up for you. :)

Whack Arnolds said:
Exactly. It's about the big picture, just not what current political upheval and opinions on said government is about AT THE TIME. Look at the BIG PICTURE. Superman is meant to inspire, let him possibly inspire the ways to restore the opinions on the United States of America. :up:

remember that a movie is still a product, and it is a product which is being sold to a market, and it is being sold to that market AT THIS TIME. Looking at the big picture has nothing to do with it. 50 years down the road, this will still be just a movie.

in order for the movie to be accessible to as many markets as possible, being PC is important. Being politically correct will help to avoid pushing cetain sectors of the market away. It's that simple. What the production team has done by eliminating 'TAW' from the superman slogan, is make the movie more appealing (subconciously) to those who have differing opinions on the state of the world.

simply put, it's business, WB can make more money by being politically correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"