Days of Future Past DoFP Rogue cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved it.

Same here. I can understand why some people still prefer theatrical version but the film feels so much more alive to me in Rogue cut.

Coming back to Rogue,
yes she has very little footage and few lines but what stands out for me is that, in starting when Bobby and Magneto rescued her, she appears to be very wary of Magneto and her screams at Bobby's sacrifice were good. But what stood out to me was when they reached the temple and she took Kitty's powers, Rogue's whole demeanour was changed, most likely to the end of X2 at White house, there was confidence in her eyes and voice and the way she took Kitty's power and cherry on the top she said hello to Logan. I know it's not much but I am very pleased that at least I got see the glimpse of that confident and ferocious Rogue again after X2.

I've always interpreted Rogue's powers as being like sucking energy from a battery that can recharge itself. She's not taking powers, using them, then passing them back to people. She's taking them, using them, then they dissipate; and in the meantime the other person just recovers on their own.

That's a good way of putting it.

Does it even make sense for rogue to hold on to Logan with kitty's powers while kitty can still use her phase powers? I might be wrong but when rogue takes their powers shouldn't they lose them?

That's not how Rogue's powers work, she doesn't take mutants abilities and leave them powerless.

Oh right wasn't that the case in X1 with Logan?

I also remember that was the case with the 90s cartoon

In both the comics and the film it's shown that their powers are inactive while she has them. GuestStar is correct in pointing out in X1, when she drains Wolverine on the Statue of Liberty and his wounds open up and in X2 when she stops Pyro from killing the police officers.

It was nice to see Rogue fighting for the future as part of the team, but she was really underused. It was slightly touched upon by Bobby that her powers were being used to tap into other mutants' powers. I was hoping they would somehow explain or have the scientists reference it in the 2023 Cerebro scene.

It was also awkward how none of them said anything to Magneto or Bobby or how Magneto didn't stop them from running/preventing them from alerting there were intruders. Bobby's death scene felt forced, they were like 2 steps away from the wall hole and Bobby could have just iced it up and Magneto could have reinforced it with metal.

I would have liked to see Rogue take Magneto's power during the escape and do everything he did, little things like that could have made her short appearance worthwhile. I wished there was an exchange between Rogue and Xavier on the flight back, like "We thought you were gone, we tried looking for you" etc. dialogue or even "The situation is dire back at base, this is what is going on, Logan needs your help.."

She showed confidence absorbing Kitty, she was in full control which was awesome to see. The "Hello Logan" didn't invoke the same feeling of Logan saving Rogue at Liberty Island from X1 like how I thought it would. I think they should have shot from Rogue's back approaching Logan on the table, her looking down at him, heartbroken having to see him like that.

Rogue felt cold towards Kitty, I could sense a bit of resentment. Maybe teary eyed Rogue would have been better when telling her about Bobby.

Ellen Page was good crying, I felt her pain. She made a good "being absorbed" face as well lol

Kitty dying could have gave Rogue more importance, it's not like she was injured to the point she couldn't use her powers, because she clearly did. They should have kept Blink opening a portal for Magneto because Kitty phasing him was really awkward.

I also wanted to know what happened to fixed 2023 timeline Magneto and Mystique. Since McKellan is rumoured to appear in Apocalypse, I hope his epilogue is in X:Apocalypse, maybe as a quick cameo in a mid credits scene to "conclude" his future story.

Last edited:
In both the comics and the film it's shown that their powers are inactive while she has them. GuestStar is correct in pointing out in X1, when she drains Wolverine on the Statue of Liberty and his wounds open up and in X2 when she stops Pyro from killing the police officers.

Not necessarily. IIRC in the first X-men, Magneto was still able to momentarily stop Wolverine's hand from moving and clawing his mutant machine atop the Statue of Liberty.

Same here. I can understand why some people still prefer theatrical version but the film feels so much more alive to me in Rogue cut.

Yeah, it isn't by any means perfect.

If they would have slowed the beginning down ala X2, reference Rogue in the beginning (so it doesn't feel quite as much of an contrivance later on), loosen the pacing, better musical cues, cut out Mystique staying at the mansion, kill off Kitty after Rogue takes over, and cut out some of the unnecessary humor (Xavier joking about acid when his sister was almost murdered?? :dry:) I think they could have pulled it off.

Saw the Rogue Cut. I also think this is better then the Original cut not because of Rogue (because there really is very few Rogue), but because there is a bit more from the future in the begining of the movie (that does make a difference) and during the movie some scenes seemed to last longer, but by longer I don't mean really extended, but more of some seconds here and there showing to really see the actors expression and emotion.

The escape sequence is really short. As someone mentioned, the way Rogue took Kittys power was well done acting wise, we could see that Rogue had control of her absorving powers to take enough, use it but not kill the other. This only made me hate X3 more because that was the Rogue we could had... anyway, it's worth a watcht

I haven't seen the cut yet, but for me I'm gonna like it based on the extended future scenes

So, to me, what's really important, does Sunspot get a line?

I definitely thought they should kept the dialogue in the temple in the original cut. I liked how Storm was convincing the new mutants that the mission is important and necessary.
The original cut never stuck well with me like a lot was missing and the instantly cut to the past. Here we see that they have been fighting this war for a long time.

Yep, the opening should have without a doubt been kept in, despite Kinberg's dumb writing. The mural was the best part.

I just watched the Rogue Cut!

And as expected, I absolutely loved this version more than the theatrical version! Ugh so many feelings and so many little details that made me love this version even more.

It isn't perfect at all, it can get dragging at certain minutes, but overall, the nostalgia especially for the OT cast feels stronger.

The highlight was obviously Rogue.

It felt really nostalgic and great to finally have her fight in the future. I do agree with psyonic that Rogue did look a little cold towards Kitty. A tear and a small line such as "We tried to save him" would've made that scene more emotional. I was surprised Kitty didn't even acknowledge Rogue's presence as she went straight with "Where's Bobby?" lol And yes, a little Rogue action in the mansion by taking some of Magneto's powers would've been great and an awesome throwback to X1! I also love how Rogue's facial expressions while holding on to Logan were almost in perfect parallel with Kitty's expressions in the theatrical cut! Ugh, super nostalgic and nicely done!

I love how the Rogue rescue scene blended perfectly with the past Magneto retrieving his helmet. Everything felt nicely stitched that it doesn't really make you lose focus of the story. To be honest, it added more action the movie actually needed in spite of the additional 17 minutes.

The Mystique and Beast scene was okay. It felt a bit dragging at some point, but it added some details to the motivation of Mystique towards the end.

Yehey for the Kitty and Magneto scene! I preferred that over Blink saving Magneto. :-)

Also, I am so sad that they did not include the dialogue in the beginning, just before Logan was gonna be transported to the past in the theatrical cut! It added more emotion to the whole movie! Love that part. And hooray for Sunspot having a line! :p

Ugh, I'm gonna watch this cut again and again and again and again!

Loved it.

I would've still put the "In the future, do I make it?" line during the climax of the film like it was in the theatrical. The scene with Hank and Logan in the mansion felt a little stale.

Besides that, I think I prefer the Rogue Cut, a lot of things just make more sense structurally, though I do think Kitty should have died.

I also think that Magneto breaking into the Pentagon is SO MUCH BETTER when cut together with Old Magneto breaking into the Mansion.

I never liked "In the future...do I make it?" Thought it was a bad take and shown too much in the commercials. Its taken out??

I never liked "In the future...do I make it?" Thought it was a bad take and shown too much in the commercials. Its taken out??

That take yes but it's moved to earlier in the movie
just before mystique arrives at the mansion hank enters Logan's room and asks "in the future... Do I make it? Logan says no and says "but that's just the future I came from" and hank leaves
All that happens at the end now is hank just turns into beast without that line, its the same transforming shot

Last edited:
I just saw the Rogue Cut and I like this version a bit better than the theatrical version. I do like the beginning along with certain scenes. I do feel like the Rogue scenes didn't help much. I still felt they were underused and didn't help with the overall story.

I have to rewatch the theatrical version to make up my mind, but I think I like the Rogue cut better.

Anyway...

715x440xdestacada3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.S33KYoeIjl.jpg

I'd love to see her again as Rogue. But...

Preferred the theatrical but this was cool for fans.

I have to wait until Wednesday. :(

Between next friday and the following Tuesday for me...had some stuff come up, and I don't want why Rogue Cut waiting while I'm away...thank goodness I was able to change the shipping...

I preordered on Amazon and it says I'll get it Tuesday.

For those who have it, is there a sneak peek about X-Men Apocalypse on there?

It's not released in stores until Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"