Days of Future Past DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Gunn on GOTG:

As an EXTRA benefit for those who see the film in IMAX 3D, we will be changing aspect ratios throughout the film in a way that makes the experience even fuller and more encompassing. I've personally chosen all the places where the changes occur and, again, I love how it's coming along. The changing aspect ratios in this case are actually a part of the storytelling.

Oh just like what Singer did in DOFP only without making a big deal about it? :o

Summer Movie Scorecard 2014
1. How 2 Train Your Dragon 2 - 93% with only 107 reviews as of today
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past - 91%
3. Edge of Tomorrow - 90%
4. Chef - 88%
5. 22 Jump Street - 84%
6. The Fault in Our Stars - 82%
7. Belle - 82%
8. Godzilla - 73%
9. Neighbors - 73%
10. Million Dollar Arm - 61%
11. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 53%
12. Malificent - 50%
13. A Million Ways to Die in the West - 33%
14. Mom's Night Out - 17%
15. Dorothy's Return - 16%
16. Blended - 14%
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/summer-movie-scorecard-2014/

I hope DOFP maintain its top 2 placement! :D

I never liked the first Dragons.

*runs and hides*

yeah but it's not even summer yet either...technically they are both Spring films 0.o

Summer movies = May - August

I never liked the first Dragons.

*runs and hides*

Same here. When I first heard the critical acclaim and good reception for the 1st movie. I gave it a chance and bought a DVD, but I didn't really enjoy watching it.

Remember when GotG and even TWS were being dismissed a bit in here. Well they have done just fine critically and in terms of box office. :)

I definitely didn't expect GOTG to open to 90+mil. The most shocking opening weekend of the year to me. I was totally dismissing GOTG and was dead wrong about it's prospects. I think people like Superhero teams, I think Avengers changed things.

Until this weeek, I had no real idea how GoTG would perform. The tone of the trailers didn't excite me. But this week, I heard two non-geeky women at work say they were going to see it this weekend, and that was a sign to me it had a broad appeal.

There's no doubt Marvel Studios has earned a solid reputation, and even the films that fanboys don't like that much (like Iron Man 3 with the Mandarin twist) are still well received by the mainstream viewers.

It's very weird though that the latest RT review of DoFP (the one from Forbes) should only go up at this time, when X-Men is hardly playing anywhere. Where did they see it? I can't believe the reviewer just saw it. So why did they hold back for more than two months? And until just after GoTG is released as well. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
Until this weeek, I had no real idea how GoTG would perform. The tone of the trailers didn't excite me. But this week, I heard two non-geeky women at work say they were going to see it this weekend, and that was a sign to me it had a broad appeal.

There's no doubt Marvel Studios has earned a solid reputation, and even the films that fanboys don't like that much (like Iron Man 3 with the Mandarin twist) are still well received by the mainstream viewers.

It's very weird though that the latest RT review of DoFP (the one from Forbes) should only go up at this time, when X-Men is hardly playing anywhere. Where did they see it? I can't believe the reviewer just saw it. So why did they hold back for more than two months? And until just after GoTG is released as well. Hmmmm....
I would assume it was the reviewer's fault, as they are the ones who must submit their review. Heck TDK had a review added in 2013 I think. It is crazy. :funny:

Remember when GotG and even TWS were being dismissed a bit in here... :)

:huh: Not in the way a post like this suggests? I think the majority of people had pretty reasonable expectations for both movies, especially as the year went on. In fact, there has been almost nothing but praise for The Winter Soldier, and I think just about everyone acknowledged Guardians was a hard to predict wild card.

Remember when GotG and even TWS were being dismissed a bit in here. Well they have done just fine critically and in terms of box office. :)

I thought TWS was praised everywhere? And GOTG was a wildcard that everyone had modest expectations for its performance. It definitely is a breakout, so I don't see the point of your post? Is it to gloat? Because I think most of us here who watched both movies liked both. At least I did. I'm gonna go see GOTG a few more times :)

Last edited:

TWS was never dismissed in here. I wasn't utterly in love with it, but i acknowledge it was a good military action adventure movie and I gave it a 7 (yes, lower than the 8-10 most people gave it, but i'm NOT going to follow the crowd)

Probably no more or less than DOFP was dismissed in similar threads like this on those boards :yay:

Luckily all three turned out great so everyones a winner.

That is the problem around here though. It is only not a contest when people think their side is "losing".

And which side is losing anyway? If you think its DOFP, I disagree, its still the highest comic-book of the year worldwide. No need to rub on people's face that they are wrong with their predictions.

No one here did that here when DOFP ended up grossing $700 million dollars worldwide despite what some people predicted.

His point is there shouldn't be sides.

As a comic book fan it's great that we've had 3 fantastic movies that will all be successful at the box office. It can only help the genre.

Now if Sony could pull their thumb out of their arse and get Spidey back up to where he should be.

And which side is losing anyway? If you think its DOFP, I disagree, its still the highest comic-book of the year worldwide. No need to rub on people's face that they are wrong with their predictions.

No one here did that here when DOFP ended up grossing $700 million dollars worldwide despite what some people predicted.

So your extremely pessimistic prediction regarding the box office take for GOTG wasn't influenced at all by your rabid loyalty to the Marvel cinematic properties presently licensed to FOX?

Honestly, it only bothers me cause I think X-Men get the short end of the stick in the comics as it is. Will this make it even worse? Basically it's not movie related for me.

I will likely love this movie when i see it. That's not the point. X-Men already get crapped on by Marvel with a lack of Video games and Toys. Not to mention in Comics right now it seems Marvel has decided to move further away from X-Men by turning Mutant's into Inhumans (One mutant already has, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch probably next in the 616 comic verse).

This is why it maybe bothers me. Because of how it effects other things related to X-Men. Heck the success of Day's of Future past i think has hurt those things i mentioned. It just makes Marvel want to promote X-Men less and less. And that's sad. People who think this only effects the movies are dead wrong.

So your extremely pessimistic prediction regarding the box office take for GOTG wasn't influenced at all by your rabid loyalty to the Marvel cinematic properties presently licensed to FOX?

Of course it was. Didnt even qualify as a prediction. Pure spiteful wish fulfillment. Utterly transparent to anyone who can read. And still doesnt have the stones to admit the obvious. The worst kind of "my team vs your team" fanboy. His review is equally worthless for the same reason.

Im actually okay with someone having a bias, even an irrational one. But dont insult peoples intelligence by pretending youre just giving your honest assessment.

I loved DOFP btw. All the Singer X-movies in fact.

(feel free to verify my little rant here. its blatantly obvious where psy was coming from. something we as cb/x-men fans need less of. passive aggressive trolling at its worst, and for the dumbest motives)

edit: Spidey I totally respect your honesty and humility. Thats how its done folks. and we've all been there at one time or another. i was rooting for DOFP but was fairly pessimistic. i completely underestimated Singer. I was dead wrong.

Last edited:

Remember when the majority of the forum didn't do that?

I remember when I thought you knew better than to stir that kind of talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"