Days of Future Past DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am from India.SpiderMan is easily bigger than Batman here.I have seen tons of Spiderman merchandise in malls.Some malls don't even have Batman merchandise.As far as what I have seen,little girls buy Spidey merchandise a lot.Never seen girls buying Batman.
I'm sure there are some parts of the world that like Spider-Man more, and that alot of kids prefer him. Would take alot of number convincing to show Spider-Man currently has the gain on Batman though. TDKR made 636 million in foreign numbers (without 3D). As impressive as Spidey overseas numbers are I don't think a Spider film got that far. Batman is also extremely hard to knock down in comics sales, has had the most cartoons, a well known live action tv show, has the Joker, tons of direct to video films and pretty much the top 2 Superhero video games ever made. He owned every form of media in sales until the Avengers stepped in. Not to say Spidey couldn't change that...

All those names on the previous list are big guns and could switch in and rotate out of the top spot imo. Depends on the quality, event, sequel, villain, crossover etc. Also forgetting the beast in comics that is Justice League. Belongs on that list too.

Last edited:
Actually I think SpiderMan movies did much better than Batman or IronMan

Movies Name:Money(Difference in earnings between it and highest grossing movie that year)

Batman Begins:375 million(500 million)
Dark Knight:1 billion(Top movie that year)
Dark Knight Rises:1.1 billion(400 million)

Batman released in 2005,2008 and 2012.

SpiderMan 1:820 million(100 million)
SpiderMan 2:790 million(120 million)
SpiderMan 3:890 million(70 million)

SpiderMan released in 2002,2004 and 2007,

Batman movies had the advantage of being directed by a big director in Christopher Nolan and the death of Heath Ledger helped in getting TDK a lot of hype.

I'm sure there are some parts of the world that like Spider-Man more, and that alot of kids prefer him. Would take alot of number convincing to show Spider-Man currently has the gain on Batman though. TDKR made 636 million in foreign numbers (without 3D). As impressive as Spidey overseas numbers are I don't think a Spider film got that far. Batman is also extremely hard to knock down in comics sales, has had the most cartoons, a well known live action tv show, the most popular villain, tons of direct to video films and pretty much the top 2 Superhero video games ever made. He owned every form of media in sales until the Avengers stepped in. Not to say Spidey couldn't change that...

All those names on the previous list are big guns and could switch in and rotate out of the top spot imo. Depends on the quality, event, sequel, villain, crossover etc. Also forgetting the beast in comics that is Justice League. Belongs on that list too.

Oh.I didn't know Batman sold more comics than Spidey.I read that Spidey sold the most comics in the 2000's.Then Batman overtook him around the start of 2012.Then Avengers overtook both of them

Oh.I didn't know Batman sold more comics than Spidey.I read that Spidey sold the most comics in the 2000's.Then Batman overtook him around the start of 2012.Then Avengers overtook both of them

Depends, on the year. Like I said they switch out. Batman (and I think Justice League) for the current past years has out sold Spider-Man. But Spidey is usually right under or around him. If there is a number 1 issue , final issue or a marvel/DC event those will sell more then Bats but usually its hard to get past him. And he currently stays stable. X-Men, Avengers and Spidey have all held the top spot as well many many times. If I was to bet which solo (non crossover or team) would come out on top currently on a monthly basis my money would probably be on Batman. He's also got Scott Snyder writing him which helps. All depends. Sometimes the biggest comic sellers were Archie, X-Force, Spidey, Spawn, Superman, Avengers and other times Spidey or X-Men. Uncle Scrooge killed it in the 60s hahaha.

Batman also has had films before Spider-Man so the marketing merch during the 90s was huge from Batman 89 to Batman Forever. Doesn't mean Spider-Man and X-Men were not slaughtering comic sales at the time though. They were. X-Men #1 sold millions. Popularity came in many forms and changes. Easier to gauge who holds it currently, but that list of Superman, Batman, Spidey, X-Men, Justice League and Avengers will more then likely all keep near the top for quite some time.
Batman movies had the advantage of being directed by a big director in Christopher Nolan and the death of Heath Ledger helped in getting TDK a lot of hype.
...And the fact it was a really good Batman movie. Begins wasn't as big cause no one knew who Nolan was yet (besides the indie crowd) and it was the first Bat flick since Schumacher. Nolan became a huge Marketable Director because of Dark Knight and then Inception. Joker is also a huge draw and pretty much as popular as Batman himself imo. No other superhero has a villain as big or marketable as that. Maybe Loki now....we will see.

Last edited:
^Agreed.The biggest reason Nolan became a big director was because of TDK.

I know this maybe an unpopular opinion but Heath Ledger's death played a huge role in the success of TDR and indirectly in Nolan's career

It gets thrown around alot. How much it made a difference we will never know. I'd like to think the talented performance of one of the most iconic villains is what drew people. That award was well earned. :up:

There Is no doudt heath ledger's death helped the Dark Knight.

I will say this.He probally wouldn't have won the oscar if he hadn't tragicly died.He
defently deserved it but if he hadn't overdosed the fogy members of academy wouldn't
give an oscar to a comic book film.

It gets thrown around alot. How much it made a difference we will never know. I'd like to think the talented performance of one of the most iconic villains is what drew people. That award was well earned. :up:

I think Ledger did a fantastic job but his death added an aura around his performance.The marketing of Dark Knight mainly revolved around Joker and the tragic death of Heath Ledger.

Batman Begins had a opening of 48 million.TDK had a record opening of 160 million.

I don't care how good the first movie is.There is no way any sequel can make such a huge increase in BO.Even Empire Strikes Back didn't have such a huge increase.

Theres alot of things that factor into the difference bewteen the two films that you are not looking at though. I'm willing to bet that just the inclusion of the Joker alone made a significant difference as well as Begins finding a larger audience with DVD's. But again, none of us can show the actual difference it would have made. So it's pointless to debate this old topic.

It made money, so did the follow up and the next one will too.

Last edited:
A key factor in the increase in interest was generated from DVD sales and rentals. After Batman & Robin, audiences were quite leery of paying to see any Batman film. But the positive reviews got many people to sample Nolan's film on the secondary market, which got them invested in the franchise.

That being said, the rumors surrounding Heath's death certainly played a role in pushing TDK into the billion dollar club. Though debunked by Nolan and Ledger's castmates, the generally accepted rumor was that the emotional impact of playing the Joker drove Heath to suicide. Though I'm not certain how big a role the morbidly curious had on the box office take, it certainly played a role in TDK's phenomenal success.

Look at comments on SHH homepage under bryan Singer doing twitter questions next week
as example why some diehard MCU fans treat X_Men films and why some might get frustated with MCU because of them.

again the same complain on another topic, marvel?

there will always be the same comments, it doesnt make sense to post about them each day. Whats the point?

Look at comments on SHH homepage under bryan Singer doing twitter questions next week
as example why some diehard MCU fans treat X_Men films and why some might get frustated with MCU because of them.

:up:

Saw that :cmad:

Why can't they gve it a rest and leave the movie for the fans, the rights aren't changing hands, no matter how much they complain, the comments are just pointless and ruins it for the fans.

I just want to enjoy the run up to this movie without constant anti-Fox pro Marvel ******** every damn time.

I dread Singer doing this Twitter thing now because haters will post stupid questions and insults.

Last edited:
I think we just have to ignore all those silly people. I'm sure that's what Singer and the others involved with the movie are doing. You just can't start taking on board anything those sorts of people say. Let those who choose to respond keep doing so, but i'm not even looking there, just as I never look at that other site where hatred festers in its own bile.

The internet is full of nutters, unfortunately. Often flailing in their own powerless and inconsequential lives. On my media company's Facebook pages we get the most hateful comments (mostly racists) and have to delete comments and often ban posters, and I also moderate a Facebook group where I have to permanently ban total idiots and troublemakers (many with fake profiles). I don't hesitate over it now, it's a great feeling to get rid of them for good!

Such is online life.

SHH has become like news sites like Politico.When you open a link you get tons of RW comments,Or over at Internet movie database where there are plenty of negative comments on DOFP page.Even on thor:The dark world they are posting Ian Mckellen taking
HIV test.Bryan's own page has antiGay posts,and even after man of steel keep pushing antisuperman return or bryan make Superman gay.Let's not even talk about Halle Berry's
page.

Can't we hope for the best for upcoming films.You would think this was political topics.

I think Ledger did a fantastic job but his death added an aura around his performance.The marketing of Dark Knight mainly revolved around Joker and the tragic death of Heath Ledger.

Batman Begins had a opening of 48 million.TDK had a record opening of 160 million.

I don't care how good the first movie is.There is no way any sequel can make such a huge increase in BO.Even Empire Strikes Back didn't have such a huge increase.

I also think Heath Ledger playing an iconic Batman villain (well the most iconic Batman villain) and him starring in his last blockbuster movie were a big plus. Of course a lot of people watched TDK because of him, but there's also the Batman factor. Batman Begins also had strong legs at box-office. Can you imagine a X-Men film opening with less than 50 million in the U.S. and still earn 200 million at the the end of its run, I don't think thats possible, but Batman managed to hit the 200 million mark despite not opening with more than 50M in its opening weekend.

Last edited:
SHH has become like news sites like Politico.When you open a link you get tons of RW comments,Or over at Internet movie database where there are plenty of negative comments on DOFP page.Even on thor:The dark world they are posting Ian Mckellen taking
HIV test.Bryan's own page has antiGay posts,and even after man of steel keep pushing antisuperman return or bryan make Superman gay.Let's not even talk about Halle Berry's
page.

Can't we hope for the best for upcoming films.You would think this was political topics.

Why on earth are you willingly reading the comments on the SHH homepage and especially IMDB?! You have only yourself to blame for getting upset, those people are morons no matter what films they're a fan of.

and its been years since fanboys act like that on the net, so why are we still talking about them?

especially when there was a whole discussion about it some days ago.

If we dont like negativity on the net, we shouldnt be talking about that negativity each day. its called common sense

Twitter index
1 Thor: The Dark World 42,667 3:1
2 X-Men: Days of Future Past 16,310 11:1

That's a pretty useless comparison. Thor comes out next week and has been doing promotion since August or so. Of course it's going to be high on the Twitter index right now.

What's more surprising to me is that Captain America isn't higher. Probably because the trailer for X-Men just came out yesterday. I

Well I just copied that from BoxOffice.com and I included Thor's number so people would know which movie is above DOFP. And this thread is about buzz.

DOFP was third most anticipated fantastic movie next year after Hobbit 2 and 300 2, in my conutry few day ago. Now it's No.1 :wow:

Last edited:
post links, guys!!!!

I love seeing this stuff on each site too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members