Dr. Lecter Invites you to Dinner. The ''Hannibal'' Thread - Part 5

What a delightful little anecdote that explains so many things about Fuller’s work.

I’m listening to this episode of the Kingcast and somehow this backstory is even more ****ed up than I would’ve guessed based on this exchange.

This wasn’t a case of “Oh, hey, this guy turned out to be a serial killer.” No no... all the adults in this town knew this guy was a serial killer and told their kids not to be alone with him and the police force in his hometown was just too incompetent to do anything about it. WHAT?!?!?!?!

I did a rewatch of Silence of the Lambs recently and I really wonder how wild it must have been for the audience members who didn’t see the “Goodbye Horses” scene coming.

Rewatching the Hopkins films, looking at clips of Manhunter on YouTube, and thinking as I often do about Mads‘ Hannibal... it really is remarkable how little overlap there is between the three key portrayals (sorry, French guy whose name I don’t know how to spell correctly) of Hannibal.

Cox’s Hannibal was almost unremarkable, like watching prison footage of an actual serial killer after their capture. Very understated. Hopkins was bringing high-level theatricality from the very first shot of him in his cell. And Mads, as both he and Fuller have pointed out in regards to seeing the character as a fallen angel, almost brings a supernatural edge to Hannibal.

Also, I haven’t rewatched Ridley Scott’s Hannibal yet, but so far I’m getting a big kick out of the fact that the broadcast TV show is waaaay gorier than any of the R-rated films.

Also, I haven’t rewatched Ridley Scott’s Hannibal yet, but so far I’m getting a big kick out of the fact that the broadcast TV show is waaaay gorier than any of the R-rated films.
It's gorier than Ridley Scott's one, too. Specifically, the flashback to what Mason did to his face was faaaaar more disturbing to watch on the show than it was in the movie, imo.

It's gorier than Ridley Scott's one, too. Specifically, the flashback to what Mason did to his face was faaaaar more disturbing to watch on the show than it was in the movie, imo.
I did work up the nerve to watch that clip a few months back after being traumatized by it as a kid, and I was shocked by how little was actually shown.

I think I must have let Oldman’s horrific looking face convince me it must have been worse than it was.

Hannibal is the most graphic/grotesque show I've watched, which is strange with it being on broadcast. I mean, NBC got pretty violent with Heroes, but still.

Of course, there isn't nudity or F-bombs, so it's totally tame and appropriate. That's how it works.

Hannibal is the most graphic/grotesque show I've watched, which is strange with it being on broadcast. I mean, NBC got pretty violent with Heroes, but still.

Of course, there isn't nudity or F-bombs, so it's totally tame and appropriate. That's how it works.
I seem to recall Fuller saying that one of the biggest notes he got was (I believe) during the episode where the killer was making angels, and the note was bc there was blood running down into the victims’ butt cracks.

So... overall similar crime scene? That’s fine for TV. Just... no butt cracks.

The muzzle is so iconic, it’s hard to fathom that we could’ve just as easily ended up with something as stupid as that fencing mask.

God damn I'd love for this to be revived and derail you know....that other show.

giphy.gif

Just say no to dance sequences, lol. :p

I’ve given up hope on a possible S4, sad to say! :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"