Dr. Lecter Invites you to Dinner. The ''Hannibal'' Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81995

Hannibal Lecter TV Series in Development
Source: Gaumont September 12, 2011

French studio Guamont has announced the creation of Gaumont International Television (GIT), marking its foray into worldwide television production and distribution. Based in Los Angeles, GIT will be led by Katie O'Connell as CEO and Richard Frankie as COO.

A number of projects are already in development, including "Hannibal," a one-hour drama written by Bryan Fuller, and "Madame Tussaud," a six-hour mini-series from Michael Hirst.

O'Connell previously served as executive VP of drama programming for NBC Entertainment. Prior to that she was the executive VP of development and current programming for Imagine Entertainment. Frankie most recently was the executive VP of business operations at Sony Pictures Television. He also held senior level positions at Buena Vista Home Video and Universal Television. Working alongside O'Connell and Frankie is Erik Pack, based in London, who will head international distribution and co-production for the company. Pack previously served as executive VP of international sales and co-productions at Power.

"As we looked to expand our global presence in television it became clear that the next logical step was to launch Gaumont International Television. As a leading independent studio we are looking to build a company that is nimble, global and creative in this ever changing television landscape," commented Gaumont's CEO, Sidonie Dumas, and vice CEO, Christophe Riandee. "With Katie and Richard's background in the US television market, both from a creative and business perspective, and with Erik in London overseeing our distribution and co-production, and our French team, we feel we are well positioned to produce and offer top-quality entertainment that will succeed globally."

"Hannibal" will center on Lecter's early days, namely his time going head-to-head with FBI agent Will Graham. The back story between the two characters were alluded to in Thomas Harris' novel "Red Dragon" and the films Manhunter and Red Dragon.

Martha De Laurentiis (Hannibal Rising, Red Dragon) will produce the show.

I've been following Fuller's Twitter since back when Mockingbird Lane was still a possibility. :csad:

****ing NBC. :argh:

More episode descriptions AHHH

“Hannibal” Episode 1.06 – “Entrée” (airs 5/2/13)
A COPYCAT MURDER CONFOUNDS JACK AND COMPOUNDS HIS GRIEF OVER THE PROSPECT OF LOSING HIS WIFE, PROMPTING HIM TO SEEK HELP FROM HANNIBAL – Jack (Laurence Fishburne) and Alana (Caroline Dhavernas) are contacted by a former colleague, Dr. Chilton (Raul Esparza), who believes he has the Chesapeake Ripper in custody; but then one of his patients commits a murder that matches the Ripper’s profile. The team determines the Ripper was a surgeon and is still at large when Jack’s former protégé, Miriam (Anna Chlumsky), becomes the next victim. Jack copes with her loss and the prospect of losing his wife by opening up to Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen). Lara Jean Chorostecki and Eddie Izzard guest star.

“Hannibal” Episode 1.07 – “Sorbet” (airs 5/9/13)
WILL HAS NIGHTMARES OF HIMSELF AS A KILLER WHILE HANNIBAL SEES A THERAPIST OF HIS OWN AND BEGINS HIS SEDUCTION OF ALANA – When the BAU investigates a murder involving organ removal, Jack (Laurence FIshburne) believes that the Chesapeake Ripper may have resurfaced, but Will (Hugh Dancy) determines that the victim’s murder is the result of an illegal organ harvesting accident. Meanwhile, Will suffers from nightmares where he is Abigail’s father, and Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) slowly starts to seduce Alana Bloom (Caroline Dhavernas) and begins to visit his own therapist, Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson). Also starring Hettienne Park, Aaron Abrams, and Scott Thompson.

“Hannibal” Episode 1.08 – “Fromage” (airs 5/16/13)
HANNIBAL IS FORCED TO FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE WHILE WILL REACHES OUT ROMANTICALLY TO ALANA – The BAU investigates a murder in which the killer exposes the victim’s vocal cords to literally play them like a cello. Meanwhile, Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) discovers that the killer, Tobias, (Demore Barnes) murdered the victim as an attempt to gain Hannibal’s attention but then makes an attempt to take Lecter’s life. Will (Hugh Dancy) is driven to distraction by strange noises in his head and turns to Alana, in a romantic way, seeking peace and stability. Hannibal describes his relationship with Will to his therapist, Dr. Bedilia Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson). Vladmimir Cubrt and Dan Fogler guest star.
ALANA, GURL. YOU WILL BE TESTED.

For the next iteration of the thread:

The Hannibal Thread will honor every part of you

The Hannibal Thread just smelled you

Do not pass the Hannibal Thread anything but soft paper

Have you seen the Hannibal Thread in moonlight? It appears quite black.

The Hannibal Thread would like to have you and your wife for dinner

The Hannibal Thread thinks you are being very rude

The Hannibal Thread ate the Lost Thread

Girls with daddy issues seem drawn to the Hannibal Thread

Last edited:
Thursdays have been so grateful to me with Person of Interest and then Hannibal right after...I certainly hope NBC doesn't cancel it.

After watching this episode, which I LOVED, I must watch that other episode on their website now...I'm wondering what happened before tonight's episode.

But anyways, back to this episode...really liked the whole plot of the Angel Maker, but one thing I didn't quite understand...he went from NJ to Ohio...was he on his way back to that farm or what's the reason for him traveling?

just watched the webisodes... why exactly was this pulled from TV? After watching, I don't know why.

this show is fantastic, one of the beautiful shots from episode 5 (five in order, not in airing) was when Jack was walking away from Will after he had his brain fart. The angel suspended above Will with a halo was very cool.

hope the show keeps this level of detail and focus.

just watched the webisodes... why exactly was this pulled from TV? After watching, I don't know why.

this show is fantastic, one of the beautiful shots from episode 5 (five in order, not in airing) was when Jack was walking away from Will after he had his brain fart. The angel suspended above Will with a halo was very cool.

hope the show keeps this level of detail and focus.

The webisodes cut out the plotline with Molly Shannon brainwashing children into murdering their families, which was why the episode was pulled.

I still think it's ridiculous that they did that, but there you have it.

The webisodes cut out the plotline with Molly Shannon brainwashing children into murdering their families, which was why the episode was pulled.

I still think it's ridiculous that they did that, but there you have it.
I found it funny that at the beginning of episode 5 they showed scenes from the eliminated episode 4 in the intro. So if you hadn't seen those webisodes you'd be like WTF? :p

Crazy that they cut those scenes from the webisode.
The world needs more Molly Shannon too.

So many news, good news, surprising news, I'd love to hear your thoughts, and tell you mine:

Great interview by Fuller, so many information (Eklypze, you won't like this, but remember, Fuller is the polar opposite of Nolan and don't be harsh). Please read (SPOILERS):

Bryan Fuller is looking for a pretty big name to join "Hannibal" in Season 2. Zap2it can reveal exclusively that the "Hannibal" showrunner plans to reach out to David Bowie for a major role if NBC gives a second season the green light.
"I guess my dream casting for the show would be to cast David Bowie as Hannibal Lecter's uncle," Fuller tells Getty Images Entertainment, courtesy of Zap2it. "If we get a second season I will reach out and see if there is any interest."
Bowie clearly has a love for Hannibal Lecter's storyline, as he attended the "Hannibal" movie premiere back in 2001. For those of you hoping this casting pans out, Fuller says things are looking pretty good.
"NBC are saying that they're very happy with where we are at so I hope that indicates towards a second season because I have a plan for Season 2 that I think would be very exciting," Fuller reveals. "I actually have story arcs through Season 7. I think seven seems about right."
Though it will take several seasons to get there, Fuller would like to incorporate some of Hannibal Lecter's most famous tales into the NBC show several years down the road. The planned end of the series is still far off, but Fuller would like to one day introduce a "Clarice Starling type character" to help Will hunt Hannibal down.
"In the first season we have this weird bromance between Will and Hannibal, season two is the nasty break up and the third season would have a fugitive angle to it, the fourth season would be 'Red Dragon,' the fifth season would be in the realm of 'Silence Of The Lambs,' the sixth season would be 'Hannibal,'" Fuller says.
He continues, "In the seventh season it would be interesting to see Will Graham and a Clarice Starling type character come together for an adventure with their nemesis, Hannibal Lector."

As for whether the series will end with a movie, Fuller says, "I would not mind that at all." Hopefully he can get to that "Pushing Daisies" movie first.

Source: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...n-fuller-eyes-david-bowie-for-major-role.html

I guess Fuller doesn't intend to have the book ending? Either way, I'm ready for ANYTHING whatever (unless Hannibal dies at the end, because I swear I'll shoot Fuller dead :cmad::cmad:)

Seems interesting plan for 7 seasons though. I'm looking forward to it. However, I'm doubtful, last night wasn't a good ratings night :waa::waa:

But I was kind of anticipating that. It aired in Canada before US, a lot of people downloaded it and watched other shows. Plus, some are waiting to watch *somewhere* the episode 4 first and then 5. I really hope NBC doesn't cancel this great show!

Last edited:
I would really like to see what Fuller's entire vision is, but I'm doubtful it'll make it through 7 seasons. That's really ambitious, and ratings weren't good last night.

It doesn't help the ratings when you start pulling episodes then fumbling around trying to tell everyone they'll be online, but they'll be cut, but then we'll show the real one, but you know, it'll be online, and and and...

And no one pays any freakin' attention anyway because I doubt anyone would have been upset if they'd of aired the episode. And what's the worst they're going to get? A couple of e-mails from people with nothing better to do that NBC can just ignore?

The show could have gone either way from the beginning, but this ridiculous move didn't help at all.

Yea, that episode pulling was just a whole bunch of silliness.

It doesn't help the ratings when you start pulling episodes then fumbling around trying to tell everyone they'll be online, but they'll be cut, but then we'll show the real one, but you know, it'll be online, and and and...

And no one pays any freakin' attention anyway because I doubt anyone would have been upset if they'd of aired the episode. And what's the worst they're going to get? A couple of e-mails from people with nothing better to do that NBC can just ignore?

The show could have gone either way from the beginning, but this ridiculous move didn't help at all.
In my group four of us watched, only two of us have stuck with it, whereas all of us stuck with The Following. For me Hannibal is much better because the Following began to unravel after mid-season. Hard to say if this one will as well and kill the chances for a future season. :( I hope not.

I think it's telling that NBC seems happy. I was a fan of 'Awake' but didn't see much of an area for that show to go to. Whereas here there seems to be a concrete plan, which I think is very appealing. I also don't think they'll count this week's ratings that much.

I didn't watch this week's episode, I'm holding off on watching episode 4 Tuesday from the India airing and then episode 5 so that I'm watching the series as originally intended. And the kind of audience this show probably has, I'd figure a good proportion have also held off. My Mom also watches it, usually she doesn't know anything like this - but she knew about it too so what happened did make news headlines.

Fuller is jinxing this show with his '7 seasons planned out' ********. :funny:

No, NBC is jinxing this show with it's idiotic scheduling. Holding a show off until nearly the end of the regular season is just a dumbass move all around. It's like they don't even care.

No, NBC is jinxing this show with it's idiotic scheduling. Holding a show off until nearly the end of the regular season is just a dumbass move all around. It's like they don't even care.

Putting it on their weakest night as well, which only has gotten worse in live viewership as the season has gone on. Hannibal got brutal numbers last night. A 1.0 and 2.4 million live viewers. I know lead ins aren't what they were 10-15 years ago but there are still a segment of the population that will check out what's coming on next.Though the Live +7 DVR ratings came out this week for the first week of Hannibal and it gained 55% more viewers and increased their 18-49 demo by 69% to raise it to a 2.7.
A lot of NBC shows get a sizeable increase with DVR viewings.

8:00PM CBS The Big Bang Theory 4.5 15 15.05
FOX American Idol 2.8 9 11.40
ABC Wife Swap 1.1 3 3.42
NBC Community 1.0 3 2.33
CW The Vampire Diaries 1.0 3 2.24

8:30PM CBS Two and a Half Men 2.8 8 11.32
NBC The Office -R 0.9 3 1.84

9:00PM ABC Grey's Anatomy 2.7 7 8.24
CBS Person Of Interest 2.4 7 13.22
FOX Glee 1.8 5 5.24
NBC The Office 1.7 5 3.25
CW Beauty And The Beast 0.5 1 1.24
9:30 PM NBC Parks and Recreation 1.3 4 2.59

10:00 PM ABC Scandal 2.8 8 7.90
CBS Elementary 2.0 6 10.07
NBC Hannibal 1.0 3 2.40

Hopefully it is doing well globally.

Hannibal's numbers last night are doubly bad when you consider last night is the first time it went against new episodes of Scandal and Elementary. Hannibal barely broke 2 million viewers and had a 1.0. This bodes very badly for it. What bodes even worse for it is that NBC renewed several dramas today, Hannibal wasn't one of them. That could very well turn out to be all of the dramas that they are renewing.

I personally don't think it'll get picked up. It is an expensive cast and production team, clearly a high budgeted show. So it is expensive to produce. Furthermore, the numbers are pretty abysmal. I feel like people who point to international and DVR viewings are like the people who said that international box office would ensure that Superman Returns got a sequel. I just don't think international and DVR matter all that much to studios. Is this a failure to respond to the changing market? Perhaps....but that won't help Hannibal.

I don't think this show's fate relies solely on NBC, but the way they're handling it pisses me off.

I personally don't think it'll get picked up. It is an expensive cast and production team, clearly a high budgeted show. So it is expensive to produce. Furthermore, the numbers are pretty abysmal. I feel like people who point to international and DVR viewings are like the people who said that international box office would ensure that Superman Returns got a sequel. I just don't think international and DVR matter all that much to studios. Is this a failure to respond to the changing market? Perhaps....but that won't help Hannibal.

Perhaps, but my understanding was that Gaumont International had the rights for a Hannibal TV show, hired Bryan Fuller and NBC bid for the American rights. With Gaumont's presence in Europe, having AXN involved in the production and having AXN channels across the world air the show my thought was if NBC stopped airing it, Gaumont would find another home for the American market.

Perhaps, but my understanding was that Gaumont International had the rights for a Hannibal TV show, hired Bryan Fuller and NBC bid for the American rights. With Gaumont's presence in Europe, having AXN involved in the production and having AXN channels across the world air the show my thought was if NBC stopped airing it, Gaumont would find another home for the American market.

I don't think you're going to see many American networks willing to bet on a show that entirely failed to pick up an audience. There is a very good chance that this winds up with about 1.5 million viewers before all is said and done. That is low even by cable standards now-a-days. And if the show doesn't get an American network behind it, the actors will pull and Gaumont will probably axe it. Part of me thinks that the show's best bet may be Netflix.

I hope Netflix would step in. They have a relationship with Gaumont already with Hemlock Grove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"