Dragonball HQ - Part 1

I watched the new movie.

it was good and didn't focus on Goku.

I usually don't like and avoid CGI anime but can't with this being DB. They had the budget to pull it off really well but damn the intro they with past events being redrawn in that Broly movie style were beautiful.

It did take a bit to get going though, but the movie is fun and works.

Like the Piccolo and Gohan relationship in this, Piccolo has never coddled him and it is all love. Him being Pan's teacher now too is great I think Pan in Super will be way better than the GT Pan who was a bit annoying.

The transformation for Gohan seems to be his hidden potential fully unlocked, even though he had a bit of an evil look with grey hair and red eyes I don't think him being pushed to the snapping point changed his personality. I don't think we will see him hit that level in a show he just does not have the stamina at his age. He would need to fully be committed to training. The Piccolo transformation was good and glad it didn't seem like he became super saiyan 3 or God level with it since he still took a beating.

How they got Vegeta and Goku to not be involved was believable they were sparring and Whis device being blocked by food that Beerus ate. Hell yeah for Vegeta finally getting a win, on his path to being a God of Destruction with his new understanding of training.

They stay teasing teen Gotenks damn the ending they got their fingers correct. I don't think they can continue to tease that. This movie without much Goku, Vegeta, and Broly worked so I xpect them to eventually do another. Hopefully with Goten & Trunks with a teen Gotenks fusion happening but Pan and Piccolo will still be a thing based on him saying the training will go to the next stage.

Frieza collecting Dragon Balls from other planets or Namek's spread out. Having worked on a team for Earth perhaps he understands he needs a team and will bring some of the main villains from Hel back.

Looking forward to movie movies every 4-5 years.

The animation does need a little work. It is a bit wonky in the slower scenes. But by god, when the action is going, it is really working. Much better to have it all CGI rather than the switching they were doing in Broly.

Definitely feels more Dragonball than Z or Super. And was pleasantly surprised that its a Piccolo movie more than Gohan movie. It lacks a lot of the drama of Broly, and that is okay.

They really are never going to hear the end of Piccolo being Gohan's real dad after this movie, lol. Talk about doubling down on it.

And Beerus is just the DBZ fandom, I guess. Better be careful of touching Broly's waifu.

Bulma's use of the Dragon Balls is hilarious. And I'm sure the Shenron voice actor got a kick out of saying "Your cheeks are perfect".

I love how Piccolo uses his cellphone. The reference to not getting his license killed me.

The transformations here are definitely better than a lot of the more recent ones. Some notable physical changes, rather than barely noticeable hair changes, and of course, palette swaps.

I watched the new movie.

I usually don't like and avoid CGI anime but can't with this being DB. They had the budget to pull it off really well but damn the intro they with past events being redrawn in that Broly movie style were beautiful.

Like the Piccolo and Gohan relationship in this, Piccolo has never coddled him and it is all love. Him being Pan's teacher now too is great I think Pan in Super will be way better than the GT Pan who was a bit annoying.

The transformation for Gohan seems to be his hidden potential fully unlocked, even though he had a bit of an evil look with grey hair and red eyes I don't think him being pushed to the snapping point changed his personality. I don't think we will see him hit that level in a show he just does not have the stamina at his age. He would need to fully be committed to training. The Piccolo transformation was good and glad it didn't seem like he became super saiyan 3 or God level with it since he still took a beating.

How they got Vegeta and Goku to not be involved was believable they were sparring and Whis device being blocked by food that Beerus ate. Hell yeah for Vegeta finally getting a win, on his path to being a God of Destruction with his new understanding of training.

They stay teasing teen Gotenks damn the ending they got their fingers correct. I don't think they can continue to tease that. This movie without much Goku, Vegeta, and Broly worked so I xpect them to eventually do another. Hopefully with Goten & Trunks with a teen Gotenks fusion happening but Pan and Piccolo will still be a thing based on him saying the training will go to the next stage.

Frieza collecting Dragon Balls from other planets or Namek's spread out. Having worked on a team for Earth perhaps he understands he needs a team and will bring some of the main villains from Hel back.

Got some bad news about your wants for Frieza.
He has a simple new transformation. Frieza Black

I watched the new movie.

The redrawn flashbacks actually looked better than the CG animation. I wish the whole movie was done in that style.

Now that they've done Gohan and Piccolo, I'd kind of like the next movie to be about Goten and Trunks. They are also getting overlooked.

Goten and Trunks both reached Super Saiyan at a younger age than even Gohan, meaning they should be way more powerful and have even more potential.

The animation does need a little work. It is a bit wonky in the slower scenes. But by god, when the action is going, it is really working. Much better to have it all CGI rather than the switching they were doing in Broly.

Definitely feels more Dragonball than Z or Super. And was pleasantly surprised that its a Piccolo movie more than Gohan movie. It lacks a lot of the drama of Broly, and that is okay.

They really are never going to hear the end of Piccolo being Gohan's real dad after this movie, lol. Talk about doubling down on it.

And Beerus is just the DBZ fandom, I guess. Better be careful of touching Broly's waifu.

Bulma's use of the Dragon Balls is hilarious. And I'm sure the Shenron voice actor got a kick out of saying "Your cheeks are perfect".

I love how Piccolo uses his cellphone. The reference to not getting his license killed me.

The transformations here are definitely better than a lot of the more recent ones. Some notable physical changes, rather than barely noticeable hair changes, and of course, palette swaps.

I don't see it as Piccolo being Gohan's "real" dad, just that Piccolo is like a second father to Gohan, and Piccolo does love Gohan like a son. Piccolo is his chosen father, and Gohan is Piccolo's chosen son. It's an exploration of their relationship. And I think that kids can have close parental figures they are just as close to as their biological parents, and vice versa for the parental figures loving the kids like they are their own.

And ironically, it's kind of happening again with Piccolo and Pan.

I will say

I did not see Cell Max going all Shin Gojira.

I'm glad they kept it simple with Cell Max. Just one form, and fail-safe weak point. So he's one and done.

The redrawn flashbacks actually looked better than the CG animation. I wish the whole movie was done in that style.

Now that they've done Gohan and Piccolo, I'd kind of like the next movie to be about Goten and Trunks. They are also getting overlooked.

Goten and Trunks both reached Super Saiyan at a younger age than even Gohan, meaning they should be way more powerful and have even more potential.
I feel like Trunks will be stronger since Vegeta is his dad and would want him involved in training. Bulma does not have a problem with him fighting and training. Goten is a different story with Chi Chi as his mother and Goku being Goku he wouldn't push Goten into training regularly. Piccolo isn't involved with Goten like he was with Gohan either as he didn't recognize them.

They do need a movie of sorts, not sure they go to the same school but maybe it happens on a school trip. The movie will need to find a way to not have Goku & Vegeta be around to save the day faster.

I feel like Trunks will be stronger since Vegeta is his dad and would want him involved in training. Bulma does not have a problem with him fighting and training. Goten is a different story with Chi Chi as his mother and Goku being Goku he wouldn't push Goten into training regularly. Piccolo isn't involved with Goten like he was with Gohan either as he didn't recognize them.

Training or no training, Goten became a Super Saiyan at like six or seven with basically no training. He did it on his own. That's freaking unreal. Look at what Goku and Gohan had to go through to become Super Saiyans. Look at what Vegeta had to go through.

Trunks was obviously training routinely and that helped. Vegeta being as strong as he was when Trunks was conceived also helped.

But the fact of the matter is if they can reach that level so early, their potential is arguably even greater than that of their fathers.

When they achieved Fusion, they were able to reach SS3. This is before they even underwent puberty and hit their teens.

Goten and Trunks are strong and have they have the potential to be even stronger, and Toriyama needs to do something with that already. This is his own writing.

They do need a movie of sorts, not sure they go to the same school but maybe it happens on a school trip. The movie will need to find a way to not have Goku & Vegeta be around to save the day faster.

Considering this movie was a character exploration of Piccolo and Gohan, I feel a Goten and Trunks story needs to be about what it means being the sons of Goku and Vegeta. Do they feel they need to surpass their fathers? Do they struggle with their own identities? Do they feel content with not being fighters? What exactly is it they want to achieve? I think it's time for stories updating Goten and Trunks now that they are getting older and becoming adults.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would not expect that kind of character story from Dragon Ball.

Still wondering when they will rip the band aid off and go past the Z finale.

Yeah, I would not expect that kind of character story from Dragon Ball.

Still wondering when they will rip the band aid off and go past the Z finale.

I see no reason not to frankly. The current stories are very character based and more introspective. That's why I pitched that scenario.

Super Hero actually acknowledges that Gohan was supposed to be the true successor to Goku and was capable of becoming the most powerful being on Earth. And you have those quiet little scenes like Pan asking Piccolo if Gohan is stronger than her grandpa, and Piccolo quietly contemplating those things as well as how far Gohan has fallen.

Could Gohan actually become as strong as his father or even surpass his father again? Is Gohan even capable of doing this when he can barely even stand Piccolo's weighted uniform?

Not to mention, look what Toriyama did with Broly. He turned Broly into a much more interesting, fleshed out character.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the franchise being rebooted into something like this.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the franchise being rebooted into something like this.

Yeah, that's never going to happen. Considering the artist on the manga is still aping Toriyama's style pretty closely, don't expect that to happen even after Toriyama's gone.

I had fun with the film. I definitely liked the flashback animation used to tell of The Red Ribbon army's defeat at the hands of Goku from the original DragonBall series.

Lol at the post credit scene

I'm more excited about where the manga is going from the end of the Granola arc twist. Supposedly there are 2 projects in development where 1 isn't a new film, so the return of Super in 2023, and maybe another spin-off series? Who knows.

Seeing this today literally after work. It’s only 3.00 so why not lol.

Just got out and I thought it was pretty good. The new animation style took time to get used too but I ended up liking it especially when it came to the fights. I also liked that this movie focused on Gohan and Piccolo which made it different. All around a good time at the theater.

I saw the new movie a few weeks ago and I went in with zero expectations.

I ended up loving it. Felt really cinematic, and the humor was on point. LOVED focusing on other characters.

All around, a pleasant surprise.

Found ya...

Well, its back. At least it isn't adapting the manga?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"