Guardians of the Galaxy Drax The Man on the Sax: a Thread for the Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are people getting "dumb" for Drax....?
Drax may be the team brick, and he may not say very much, but that doesn't make him stupid. Drax just needs to convey quiet menace, Eastwood-style, but with a superhero physique.

Pre-Annihilation Drax was sub-Forrest Gump intelligence. Look up some old Infinity Watch stories.

Last edited:
Yeah, he was dumb as a post.

But seeing as this is Guardians of the Galaxy, he'll likely be the badass knife wielder who rips the heart of bad guys Drax. Cuz dumb Drax was never a member of the Guardians.

I've always interpeted the new Drax as a character like Vin Diesel's Riddick, which I think is badass and awesome. I didn't like him as a dumb Hulk type character.

- Thanos

I like how people are saying we can cast a wrestler or someone who cant act much as long as they are big for Drax, yes, even the modern smarter incarnation doesnt talk much, but when he does, there is weight behind what he says, you need an ACTOR to be able to portray that.

Also, depending on the situation, Drax does talk a lot, he did in Annihilation as he had to. Not mention, if he doesnt talk much in this movie, who's to say he wont in any possible future movies?

No to wrestlers and muscleheads with little to no acting experience, give an actor that exudes menace and power, and is able to deliver powerful lines, not to mention possibly carry the character for a franchise.

The best casting for Drax is some one who is 6'4"-6'6", over 230lbs of muscle, between 30-40yrs old, athletic, and can kick A$$.

No to wrestlers and muscleheads with little to no acting experience, give an actor that exudes menace and power, and is able to deliver powerful lines, not to mention possibly carry the character for a franchise.

Right now there are several Wrestlers and NFL players who have been acting and doing well in tv and film. Including isaiah mustafa and the Rock, so just bc they where wrestlers or NFL players we shouldnt consider them for this role?

Rick Fox - Actor NBA player
Jim Brown - Actor NFL player
Sean Connery - Actor Bodybuilder
Dwayne Johnson - Actor Wrestler
Guy Pearce - Actor Bodybuilder

Good thing you guys arent casting bc with your narrow thinking a lot of people would have never made it

Right now there are several Wrestlers and NFL players who have been acting and doing well in tv and film. Including isaiah mustafa and the Rock, so just bc they where wrestlers or NFL players we shouldnt consider them for this role?

Consider them if they can, Dwayne Johnson now has extensive acting experience after being in a lot of movies, he is better now than when he started. Thats the big difference, he has experience in movies, Terry Crews is another in a similar position.

Batista cannot act, another example was Triple H in Blade: Trinity, very poor, Stone Cold wasnt much better in The Expendables but he was fine for the movie he was in. GOTG needs a lot more weight to it than those movies. And as I said before, when Drax does speak, he says meaningful things with weight behind them, he is a master tactician in Annihilation, he taught Nova to fight and look at Nova now compared to how he used to be. You need actors to convey these things.

Everyone is allowed to get a chance to audition for a role. And when they are good for it, perfect. But the first thing on the list shouldn't be to look for people with the right body physique, when every dedicated actor with the proper training can beef up and get ripped.

Everyone is allowed to get a chance to audition for a role. And when they are good for it, perfect. But the first thing on the list shouldn't be to look for people with the right body physique, when every dedicated actor with the proper training can beef up and get ripped.

:up: Spot on. And with the training programs actors go through nowadays, they bulk up pretty damn quick.

How about Manu Bennett btw? I haven't watched Spartacus at all, so I can't judge his acting. Does someone want to weigh in?

[YT]ik-_E7P2uqA[/YT]

I'll take your word for it. So I guess the top 3 choices for Drax would be Manu Bennett, Jason Momoa and Dwayne Johnson. Who else do we have?

I actually think Gerard Butler could do a job in the role, doubt he would need any accent other than his own and other than that he is a good actor.

Edit: Is Manu Bennett the guy who just got cast as Deathstroke in Arrow?

^Ah yes, havent seen him act but he looks the part certainly and does have acting experience.

Those guys on Spartacus are pretty decent actors.

Anytime I see Manu Bennett suggested for a role, I toss Joe Manganiello in as well. Why not?

^He wouldnt be bad either, got the physique and has acting experience.

The best casting for Drax is some one who is 6'4"-6'6", over 230lbs of muscle, between 30-40yrs old, athletic, and can kick A$$.

Drax should be more 35-50. He's got a little age to him. Marvel knows this, and that's part of the reason that's reflected a bit in the age of the candidates (especially Dave Bautista, who will be 45 when the movie drops.)

Kevin Grevioux is my preferred choice for Drax right now. He looks imposing and he is big Marvel fan. I think that he strikes the right balance between actor and physical presence.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that he studied microbiology and genetic engineering. Or the fact that his voice is his actual voice.

Is he really good? Never saw him in anything outside of How I met your mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"