Dungeons & dragons movie discussion

That clip was great. Okay, I’m totally sold on this movie now. I hope it’s a big hit and not only launches a new franchise but also increases the chances of that Rege-as-Bond casting that I’m hoping for.

Just got back from an advanced screening and it was a solid, super fun movie. I took a friend from work with me, and she knows nothing about D&D, and even she loved it. Movie was full of some great comedic moments, with a few being genuine laugh out loud funny. Some of the story beats were a bit rough and feel like they were a little shoehorned in, but overall it was an incredibly fun time. And with a packed theater for the showing, it sounded like everyone else was having a ton of fun, too.

This one is magnificent. Seriously. While it has the trappings of a Star Wars or Pirates flick, at it's heart, it's the Fraser/Weisz Mummy flick. Just better. And I don't say that lightly, I love, love, love that movie. It's fun, funny, heartfelt action adventure, and everything you could want out of film like it. The movie wears it's predecessors on it's sleeves, and the story is all together simple and predictable, but the mix of the characters and the comedy makes it all worth watching. It's a tale as old as time, told really, really well.

The film was perfectly cast. Even those I'm usually indifferent to like Rodriguez and Page are really good here, properly endearing in their roles. And that's the key here. Everyone is so damn endearing. While characters might be obvious archetypes they all have a chance to shine and strike at your heart. You'll care about them all before the end, and being so much more of them.

When I say it's funny, it's FUNNY. There is a joke in the opening prologue that is going to break most audiences. And it's the first of many. My theater was about half full, and they were in it from the word go, and never let go. Also all the magic battles in film can now take a back seat. This is how you do it! The action throughout is phenomenal. There is a "sneaking scene" that is another big highlight.

There are a crap ton of references. Some way more obvious then others, and far too many for me to have kept up with.

So yeah, watch it. I don't any one here is going to regret it. I'll be seeing it again in theaters.

Last edited:
This one is magnificent. Seriously. While it has the trappings of a Star Wars or Pirates flick, at it's heart, it's the Fraser/Weisz Mummy flick. Just better. And I don't say that lightly, I love, love, love that movie. It's fun, funny, heartfelt action adventure, and everything you could want out of film like it. The movie wears it's predecessors on it's sleeves, and the story is all together simple and predictable, but the mix of the characters and the comedy makes it all worth watching. It's a tale as old as time, told really, really well.

The film was perfectly cast. Even those I'm usually indifferent to like Rodriguez and Page are really good here, properly endearing in their roles. And that's the key here. Everyone is so damn endearing. While characters might be obvious archetypes they all have a chance to shine and strike at your heart. You'll care about them all before the end, and being so much more of them.

When I say it's funny, it's FUNNY. There is a joke in the opening prologue that is going to break most audiences. And it's the first of many. My theater was about half full, and they were in it from the word go, and never let go. Also all the magic battles in film can now take a back seat. This is how you do it!

There are a crap ton of references. Some way more obvious then others, and far too many for me to have kept up with.

So yeah, watch it. I don't any one here is going to regret it. I'll be seeing it again in theaters.
So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the write up, that’s got me a fair bit more excited than I already was. :up:

Just got back from an advanced screening and it was a solid, super fun movie. I took a friend from work with me, and she knows nothing about D&D, and even she loved it. Movie was full of some great comedic moments, with a few being genuine laugh out loud funny. Some of the story beats were a bit rough and feel like they were a little shoehorned in, but overall it was an incredibly fun time. And with a packed theater for the showing, it sounded like everyone else was having a ton of fun, too.
Good to hear about non D&D fans loving it and the comedy hitting. Glad you both enjoyed it. :up:

There were a bunch of folk at my theater dressed up. It was neat.
I used to love going to midnight premieres at Leicester Square, not only for the deafening atmosphere but seeing people cosplaying and bringing accessories (like lights sa bers, depending on the fan property) also added a lot to the experience.

Is the movie accessible for someone who's never played D&D? i.e. me :o
Very much so imo. Beyond not needing to know anything about D&D, it's got broad appeal like SW, Pirates, Indy, and the Mummy imo. Where even if you aren't into the subgenres, you'll be into this.

I used to love going to midnight premieres at Leicester Square, not only for the deafening atmosphere but seeing people cosplaying and bringing accessories (like lights sa bers, depending on the fan property) also added a lot to the experience.
That sounds like an awesome experience, Iceman. And yeah, a great crowd always enhances the experience.

That sounds like an awesome experience, Iceman. And yeah, a great crowd always enhances the experience.
Yeah, I used to go with my sister. Great tradition we had meeting up in London and doing a restaurant before as the excitement built up. Kept it going for about a decade or so before we got too busy. :waa:

Yeah, I used to go with my sister. Great tradition we had meeting up in London and doing a restaurant before as the excitement built up. Kept it going for about a decade or so before we got too busy. :waa:
Hopefully one day you two can find the time to do it again. :D

Very much so imo. Beyond not needing to know anything about D&D, it's got broad appeal like SW, Pirates, Indy, and the Mummy imo. Where even if you aren't into the subgenres, you'll be into this.
That’s great to hear. How well could you see this doing at the box office given that broader appeal?

I thought the trailers were pretty underwhelming, but Darth has me hyped now.

Just scored some pre-screening tickets for this Saturday. So excited! I love pre-screenings, the audience is gonna be electric.

I think it would be cool to watch this and John Wick on the same day, but that's 5 hours in total.
Awesome. You have quite the movie day coming your way. :D

Hope you enjoy and can't wait to see your opinions on both. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"