DVD/Box Set Discussion

I made a special trip to the closest Best Buy to me to get the exclusive packaging and they didn't have any in Blu Ray and had four or five dvd copies. I went ahead and picked up a regular copy just because I'm not a big fan of the metal slip cases after the metal slip case that came with my Terminator 2 dvd. I got my BR set for only $5 more than Wal Mart is charging for the dvd set. Best Buy is the cheapest place in my area to get the BR or dvd sets right now while they're onsale. I think BB is the only place that has the BR set in stock, my local WM and Targets don't carry many BR season sets at all. They might not have ever had any in stock.

haha, mine had like 10 metal cases for bluray and atleast 30 for DVD!!!!!

i got the metal case, itts pretty nifty.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday @ Best Buy right after I picked up Batman : Arkham Asylum @ Gamestop .

The special features on this set were very disappointing (with the exception of The Doomsday Feature. I enjoyed that) I'm very surprised they didn't do a Documentary on The Legion of Superheroes (I'd have much rather have had that included on this dvd set than the Allison Mack featurette on her director debut on one of the worst episodes of Season 8 "Power".

Most of the deleted scene that were not used were pretty much a good call on TPTB they really weren't needed .

The Commentaries for Identity & Legion were good but I wish their was more . I'd have love to of had a commentary with Sam Witwer on either Eternal , Beast, Bride, . Erica Durance on Infamous, Stiletto, Instinct, Allison on Hex, Tom on any episode .

The plastic dvd case was a brilliant move , why didn't they do that from the get go ?

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for this. Need to save my money for Supernatural and It's Always Sunny. Maybe it'll go on sale around Christmas.

I kinda don't like how the set is a little taller then the rest or the inside packaging is all plastic

haha, mine had like 10 metal cases for bluray and atleast 30 for DVD!!!!!

i got the metal case, itts pretty nifty.

The BB closest to me is a smaller store so sometimes they'll have a bunch of an exclusive and other times they'll have none for weeks or longer. I might pick up the dvd set later on. I love the plastic case I said they should have used this for S7 after I picked up the Birds of Prey dvd set that had the plastic case.

I got my DVD set today. Went to Best Buy and they had about ten or twelve of the regular DVD sets with the metal case:

http://yfrog.com/5y57fj

As beautiful as the metal slip cover is, the damn plastic case is crap.

I got it home and opened it up and the case was busted up inside.

:(

It's about a 45 minute round trip to BB from my house, in other words not at all convenient, and I'm seriously peeved that I will have to go back tomorrow.

:mad:

Wait so its not cardboard/regular casing like past seasons have been? i wonder whats up with the change?

Wait so its not cardboard/regular casing like past seasons have been? i wonder whats up with the change?

It's probably cheaper...

It's all plastic, with each DVD snapped into a curved plastic 'leaf' inside the case.

I could go dig it back out if you want to see a picture... I love my iPhone!

I got the 3Gs and I love that it autofocuses, the earlier models didn't. It was a piece of cake to get a picture in focus, which I don't see a lot of when people post pics from their iPhones, so that's a win-win. Well worth the extra $50.

Anyway, it's the bit of the case that held the hinges which broke, there were little plastic pieces inside the case and it rattled a bit when I was opening it.

I hadn't shaken it before I bought it, but I certainly will shake any that I exchange this one for.

Bastards.

If you get your set from a brick and mortar store (instead of through Amazon), I'd recommend giving the case a little shake before you plunk down your money and make sure everything's all tight and secure in that case.

Just a tip...

no need triplet i seen what it looks like on a youtube vid. Hmm odd to switch look after all past sets have been the same. Oh well.

I got my DVD set today. Went to Best Buy and they had about ten or twelve of the regular DVD sets with the metal case:

As beautiful as the metal slip cover is, the damn plastic case is crap.

I got it home and opened it up and the case was busted up inside.

:(

It's about a 45 minute round trip to BB from my house, in other words not at all convenient, and I'm seriously peeved that I will have to go back tomorrow.

I got you beat the closest Best Buy to me is an hour round trip and I call this my local BB. I personaly love the new packaging. I like the note book style the best but it was probaly the most expensive to produce. I also never liked the over laping disc packaging. One complaint I have about the Blu Ray set is the same art work on all four disc. I wish it would have been Lois and Clark, Chloe and Jimmy, Tess and Ollie with Davis and Doomsday on the fourth disc.

oh i luck out better then you guys. I live just a street away from local mall which has a target next store, formly a circuit city, and their is an fye in the mall. Then just down the road from the mall and about a two/3min drive for me is local best buy, then down the street from best buy, is a walmart i could also go. But when i am buying dvds i tend to just go to fye or best buy.

I usually just order it on amazon, wait 2 days, and it comes in the mail. It's usually cheaper than retail stores.

I wanted the metal case, it's silly maybe, but I do think it's very nice.

Went to the Best Buy before my shift and exchanged it... It looks awesome.

I am looking forward to listening to the commentary on both episodes.

I saw a partial transcript of the one Mairzee Almas and Cassiday Freeman did and it sounds like Cassidy has become a fangirl. That's awesome, she seemed so enthusiastic...

Has anybody else seen on the Supernatural season 4 comercials where it says it has three hours of bonus features? the Special features are From Heaven to Hell which is a 3 section Gallery featurette, comentary on 3 episodes, extended/unaired scenes and a gag reel. I'm not sure if the featurette gallery is just pictures or what because of buying SV I didn't have the money to pick SN up yet. But why can't we get thins much stuff with SV? And I tried to rewatch the Superlana episodes and I still can't stand them. I personaly think they have no point in the show story wise because they could have done something different to send Lana off with out making Clark look like the season 5(or earlier) versaion of Clark. Along with other things I see wrong with them that I'm not gonna get into because I don't want to go way off topic. But so far I think the picture looks great, way better than watching them on the CW. By the way I'm talking about the Blu Ray version. All in all I think the BR set is worth $50 that I paid for it. I do wish the disc had the different disc artwork insted of all four disk being the same. Having watched 14 episodes I would give the BR set a 4/5 as a whole, season 8 as far as the show goes I would probaly give it a 7/10 at best. I think up untill bride the show was a 8/10 easy I'm not sure I would go much higher than 8.5/10 just because there was a couple of things that I think could have been better. But I'm probaly being a little picky.

Just watched the Geoff John's commentary which is quite cool. Lot's of insight into the writing of an episode. He did record it before he's seen the season finale. He said the only disappointing thing was not getting to write Lois and Jimmy in his episode.

Watching the Maxima episode now and I'd forgotten how much the Ace of Clubs features in the show. Where's Bibbo? They need to get him on the show.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/09/heavy-rotation-on-usa-network-helpingncis-house-dvd-sales/26516
First, though Smallville sold fewer units than House, Smallville was the #1 TV show in dollar sales for the week with almost$6.7 million. An impressive feat for a show on the CW. Smallville’s almost 183,000 units and $6.7 million were down from last year’s seventh season debut on DVD which sold more than 212,000 units and made over $8 million in its first week. It’s not quite apples-to-apples because last year Smallville debuted on September 9, and this year it came out on August 25.

I watched over the weekend season 8 on Blu Ray. The images were nice but I must say I found the whole season to be not as compelling as before but I did like how they inserted the legion. The main point I think was that "Lex" was missing and Tess did not fill his shoes. The acting quality is no longer there.

Plus the whole story line with lana was horrendous. And now she is as "powerful" as Superman through the Lex suit which was upgraded to be nanites which apparently cannot be taken off and absorb Kryptonite keeping them apart. So therefore they made 1. Clark a victim who cannot be with Lana even though she is his "true" love (and Lois is second choice) and 2. Lana a very powerful Superhero who would be able to defeat Superman with ease. I find the story line to be ludicrous. The only use for me is for her to go around absorbing Kryptonite until there is very little left and not so easy to find (criminals can get it easy just to make counterfeit bills with it).

Next the Doomsday story line was interesting but not that well done. I especially did not like the whole Hulk double persona with Sam but I do get why they did it like that. The end fight was not one but just him getting rid of Doomsday into the hole and of course he can then come back out from under it once Superman has matured.

The other thing is how come he still cannot fly. How long will it be. I cannot believe it is the budget give the amount of times they featured flight through other characters. Flight is maybe not his most important power but it is his most symbolic. I could understand if they were going Golden Age but they apparently are not given all the other similar type characters can fly. So get him in the air before he hits 30 (and I mean in the show).

This show needs to come to an end because it has been declining in quality for awhile now. They need to end it with Tom Welling putting on the suit (or at least put on a red and blue simulacre of the suit) and flying high to protect the Earth.

Anyways, that is my little review after seeing the whole season "en bloc" given my GF was away and my golf course was closed for a professional tournament (very low level one) not to mention the lousy weather.

As far as how many units SV sold I wounder if their only being 4 disc in the Blu Ray set had anything to do with the number of units sold? I think it use to be that if a dvd has two disc then it counts as two units sold insted of one. So if thats haow it's done or how it was done in the past that could be why you have it making enough money to be number one but at the same time having less units sold. I agree with Ahura Mazda on the Lana story line. They could have gave Lana a send off that was just as emotional insted of what they did. The thing I didn't like about the Lex story line is that he plays a fairly big role in the first part of the season but is nothing more than the back of a bald head. I think the Doomsday story arc was anti climatic. I just thought it had a great build up but ended in what seemed like one episode. I think DD should have been a multi season story arc. And I do hope they give an explanation why Clark can't fly thats not the fortress wont let him or it a mental block. I would rather they explainit as he can fly and has been able to since season 6 but doesn't because he's still not sure of embracing his Kryptonian side. I know what I want to say but I can't figure out how to word it so I hope you guys understad what I'm trying to say. I think overall I liked S8 better the second time around and give it a 6.5/10 because of how the DD story ended and the Lana story. I also want to say I don't know how many times I complained about the lack of showing rather or not the Talon is still in operation and after watching S8 again the Talon billboad changes a few times and they mention something else that makes it apear to still be open.

This has been put back to october in the UK. I only want the Legion commentary! :(

I bet you I can guess the color scheme for the Season 9 dvd haha

I'm think I'm gonna wait till S8 goes down in price. After all, I got S7 on Blu from Amazon for only $12.

If anyone is from Australia Season 8 will be released March 31. See the Ezy DVD and JB Hi Fi sites to confirm. Or any other store that might be online. By the way this is the only way I can see the show other than online (which I haven't used). So it's been over ten months since the last episode aired in the U.S. and over 18 months since the first. As I've said in the past I just love their anti-piracy tactics of not making things available in a sensible timeframe. I'll admit I still love the DVD format because I get to watch the show when I want at the pace I want.

I'm rewatching the past seasons to remind myself about the show. Mainly the first and last episodes plus others. Up to Season 3 first episode. I might watch all of the last few seasons as I've only seen some of them once and a rare few twice.

Angeloz

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"