EA and BioWare's Anthem

delaying your "roadmap" indefinitely is not a good sign.

as is not fixing issues ( like loot drop rates ) that the players have been complaining about since Day 1.

Even if EA and Bioware still have faith in Anthem and plan to support it, I'm sure it will be much harder to retain, attract, and reattract the player base as time goes on without any major changes or improvements.

Haven't kept up with Anthem. How bad has it failed and why? I really thought it would surprise people and be Bioware's comeback

Haven't kept up with Anthem. How bad has it failed and why? I really thought it would surprise people and be Bioware's comeback
I replied to this in the E3 thread, but I guess this thread is more appropriate.

Here's a nice long article on what went wrong with Anthem. haha.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

I don't know exactly how it has performed sales wise. I think it has done ok on that front. But, it has been a failure in terms of critical reception and fan reception/expectation.

One of the main points of that article is how Anthem was failed by the leadership and culture at both Bioware and EA ( but mainly Bioware this time ). They spent 6-7 years working on this game but doing so in a way that wasn't very fruitful. Constantly redoing the core concepts of the game, lack of communication amongst team members and leadership and among the various Bioware offices.

Flying itself ( arguably the best and most unique part of the game ) had been constantly added and removed and added and removed. In fact, when the head EA guy came to test the game, flying had been removed and the EA head said the game sucked, this isn't what they promised him. So then they added flying back in.

Indeed, when Anthem was revealed at the Xbox E3 show 2 years ago, it wasn't even called Anthem until right before the show. and a lot of the people working on the game didn't even know what kind of game it was until they actually saw the E3 demo. IOW, that E3 demo was basically a proof of concept video and not actually a game that was far along in progress.

So, after spending 6-7 years spinning their wheels, in that final year or so of production, they had to crunch major time to try to make a game that matched the concept shown in the E3 demo. And to do that, they actually diverted resources and talent away from the Dragon Age 4 project, which resulted in that project getting shelved and then rebooted.

IOW, Anthem was a huge mess in development. And after release, it has been a mess as well. There were a TON of bugs plaguing the game. so much so that some players were demanding refunds because the game just felt so broken and unfinished and untested ( cuz they didn't really have time to test the final product ).

And core issues, such as quality loot drop rates, still haven't been fixed almost 3 months later. and that's kind of important for a looter shooter.

at launch, Bioware had an elaborate "roadmap" planned for future content and events in the game, stuff that was supposed to start in earnest in April and May. but a few weeks ago, that roadmap was delayed indefinitely, which is never a good sign.

And now I'm seeing retailers put it on sale for 50% off already. So I don't know if that's a sign the game hasn't been selling well at retailers and they are trying to clear inventory.

Damn.now that's developmental hell right there!

yes, it is developmental hell, and it points to a larger cultural problem at Bioware. It's not just all EA's fault, though they too share some of the blame.

it's also coming off of another failure with Mass Effect Andromeda, which was also plagued with similar problems. Plus the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco and Dragon Age 2 being seriously rushed after DAO.

I guess Dragon Age Inquisition was considered a success, but I consider it a step down from DAO, after feeling like DA 2 was a step down from DAO.

so, for me, Bioware has gone downhill since DAO. and it seems many of the people and talent who worked at Bioware during the days of Mass Effect and DAO have long since left the company.

which is why many feel like Bioware is a mere shell/ghost of its former self. and it is why I'm no longer that confidant in DA 4. especially if it is going to be a "live service" game which some reports have suggested.

instead of getting projects like a KOTOR 3 or similar SW RPG, we have been getting mediocre products like MEA and Anthem.

now with all that being said, with Anthem being on sale for $30 ( even the $80 Legion of Dawn edition is on sale for $32.00 at Best Buy ), I'd say pick it up for that price if you're inclined to try it out.

it is worth $30, imo, if nothing else for the ability to simulate Iron Man and fly around and shoot stuff. Despite the limitations (overheating), being able to press a button and launch into the air and fly around the environment is fun. And it's the closest thing to a Superman game I'm going to get it seems......lol.

but not at $60-$80.

A damn shame
it is.

Bioware used to be one of my "trusted/reliable" devs. I was pretty confidant in whatever they would put out after playing DAO and ME2.

but not anymore.

I really hope they can turn it around with DA4. but they (Bioware AND EA) have to LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES which they made with MEA and Anthem. if they don't, and repeat the same **** with DA4, then I do believe that may very well be the final nail in the coffin for Bioware.

delaying your "roadmap" indefinitely is not a good sign.

as is not fixing issues ( like loot drop rates ) that the players have been complaining about since Day 1.

Even if EA and Bioware still have faith in Anthem and plan to support it, I'm sure it will be much harder to retain, attract, and reattract the player base as time goes on without any major changes or improvements.

I think part of the issue, on the matter of stuff like loot drops, is that there is a conflict between what EA wants from a business operation and what the customers want from a product. EA probably has a big spreadsheet determining how long they want to require a player to grind in order to get X level of gear, as part of maximizing the incentive to pay real money and/or prolong the play experience until the next big "shot" of new content. None of which matters in the end if the players themselves are not having fun, and so simply choose to stop playing. EA wants to treat it as a Skinner Box, but that only works if the victims can't just leave.

I think part of the issue, on the matter of stuff like loot drops, is that there is a conflict between what EA wants from a business operation and what the customers want from a product. EA probably has a big spreadsheet determining how long they want to require a player to grind in order to get X level of gear, as part of maximizing the incentive to pay real money and/or prolong the play experience until the next big "shot" of new content. None of which matters in the end if the players themselves are not having fun, and so simply choose to stop playing. EA wants to treat it as a Skinner Box, but that only works if the victims can't just leave.

that's one reason why not every game has to be made into a "game as service."

and even if you did, as you said, the players need to have fun playing the game to keep interested and engaged while they wait for new content.

If they kill it, that seems incredibly wasteful. That said, if they need the work force for other projects like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, I could see the reasoning. Still, it would be disappointing. They made a promise.

I'm gonna bet they will shut it down. Seems like the most logical course given all that has transpired.

Yeah I'm betting they will shut it down, especially in this work from home system happening in a lot of studios in which things are harder to monitor. They could save anthem or work on the upcoming Mass effect/Dragon Age. I'm thinking the latter is a better option as there would be more moneyto make innewer games for their more established ips.

Anthem is beyond saving. One of the worst modern games I've ever seen or played. An absolute joke.

Anthem is beyond saving. One of the worst modern games I've ever seen or played. An absolute joke.

A damn shame too. The concept had great potential, but turning it into a GAAS model was just the dumbest decision possible.

Welp, it happened.

Anthem Update
In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.
Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

That was eXpected.

Everytime I go to my retail vg store, this game sticks out like a thumb store given how cheap the physical game is, $13 for a recent game.

Not unexpected, but still a huge waste of potential. I was almost tempted to pick it back up for $10 at the store recently, but glad I held off.

So they're not moving ahead with Anthem Next, but will keep the game alive as is? Who wants to bet the servers will be shut down in a year? I just can't see this game lasting much longer.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Haktoo.

tenor.gif

Welp, it happened.

Anthem Update

I hate that they are using covid as an excuse. This was the plan before covid ever appeared, and I dont want them to be able to put the blame on anything or anyone but themselves.

And they've got some ****ing nerve claiming this is being done to avoid undue stress on their teams. They don't give a **** about their teams when they order crunch so I don't believe they give a **** now.

God, I wish the executives had to make these BS PR announcements in person in public so we could throw rotten fruit at them.

In the build up to ME3 I thought this series would be dominating the gaming landscape for decades. Can’t believe it’s 2022 and all we’ve had since is Andromeda. Feel a bit bitter to all this GAAS rubbish, especially in the same sci-fi genre as Mass Effect.

In the build up to ME3 I thought this series would be dominating the gaming landscape for decades. Can’t believe it’s 2022 and all we’ve had since is Andromeda. Feel a bit bitter to all this GAAS rubbish, especially in the same sci-fi genre as Mass Effect.
hopefully the upside to Anthem's sacrifice is that now they can devote all of their time and resources on the next ME and DA games and restore both of those to their former glory.

hopefully the upside to Anthem's sacrifice is that now they can devote all of their time and resources on the next ME and DA games and restore both of those to their former glory.
That’s what they need to do. No point creating additional projects when you aren’t doing your main babies well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"