EA and BioWare's Anthem

I only got to play for 10 minutes, but I thought the visuals were pretty impressive.

but then I've watched some demo impression vids who harped on the visuals saying they're only so-so.
The visuals look like a combination of Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda.
Ah thanks.

Played the demo again last night and had a much better experience than the 1st try.

As for the flying, don't know if they tweaked something from the 1st demo or if it's because I got more used to the controls/mechanics, but I was able to fly around longer without overheating all the time. I did use the "trick" of flying downwards to cool the jets. I also discovered that you don't have to press and hold the left stick to fly, just need to press it once. I also learned if you push the left stick all the way up, that accelerates your thrusters to fly faster, but overheat faster.

So, perhaps during my 1st try last week, while I was pressing and holding the left stick, I was also pushing the stick all the way forward, thus flying forward with maximum thrust which could be why I was overheating so often.

Now, though, that I'm more familiar with the flying controls, I had lots of fun just flying around and enjoying the scenery. Diving into water, blasting out of the water into the skies, flying under arches, it really was a lot of fun. Felt like Superman (Or Ironman) haha!!

As for combat/gameplay, I got the chance to try out the other javelins. Storm is insanely fun! Not only cool visuals with the cape and kinetic energy, but being able to freeze enemies, then shatter them with a fire punch, and teleport dodging! Plus the ultimate where you rain down the elements and take out multiple enemies at once is pretty cool. Downside, though, Storm is so fragile once your shields go down.

I'll have to try out Colossus and Interceptor tonight.

So, overall, I had way more fun playing the demo than my 1st try, and for now, I'm keeping my preorder in tact.

The one thing that does concern me a bit is how viable it will be to play the game solo. In the demo, you face a large group of enemies at once. Unlike ME or DA, you don't have a party of AI teammates to help you out. So, it's kind of a pain for a solo player here to deal with such a large group of enemies.

From what I've read, the Devs have said you will be able to play the campaign solo, and the game will "adjust" accordingly. so, I want to know more about that.

Would be nice if you don't want to add real players to your squad, you could add AI controlled teammates.

but other than that, I'm looking forward to the full game in a few weeks. It does feel like what I wanted Destiny to be and for me, it's way more fun than Destiny because it's not a FPS and because of the flying mechanic.

Just hope that, unlike Destiny, there's an actual (Bioware level) story in the game that's not farmed out to reading "grimoires" online.

Oh, and as for the graphics, I think it looks pretty good on my Xbox One X.

Last edited:
safe_image.php

safe_image.php

GI Show – Anthem's Endgame, Crackdown 3, Every Game Is Interesting Challenge
on Feb 01, 2019 at 2:46 PM
Welcome back to The Game Informer Show! On today's episode, we're sharing new impressions of the endgame for BioWare's Anthem, raving over the Advance Wars-like Wargroove, talking about the state of Crackdown 3, and trying to wrap our minds around the Beta for Dreams. After some fun community emails, we're joined by Brandon Jones from Easy Allies as he judges the intense competition for our "Every Game Is Interesting Challenge". Thanks for checking out the episode everybody! You can watch the video, Read more

source:Game Informer

Last edited:
played more of the demo last night. Storm javelin is really fun to use. love being able to use and combine all the elemental attacks.

most of the other players I ran into in the world also were Storms. I wonder if Storm will become the most popular javelin?

You know what really ups the fun factor? Giving your Ranger Javelin a Warmachine paint job, while also listening to War Machine by AC/DC. :D

51426771_648892352195288_8634471942570639360_o.jpg

^ haha nice!!

I didn't even bother with the customization aspects of the game, except choosing weapons and abilities. so that's another thing to look forward to in the final game.

is the customization/paint job system pretty robust? can you apply logos/images to your javelin?

Well, you don't really gave a logo option. You have vinyls, which give your Javelin different decals.

But yeah, other than lack of logos, the customization is really robust. You have like 5 or 6 different categories. Primary, secondary, tertiary, forgot what the others were. And you have 2 options. First, you choose the texture. Rubbery, Leathery, Metal plate, rugged, etc, there's lots. And once you've selected the texture, you can choose a color. You have a certain amount of selectable colors, if the color you're looking for isn't available, you are able to use customized colors by mixing them yourself. So there's no Destiny like nonsense where you need to find or buy dyes, that are one use only and you have to find/buy them again.

Well, you don't really gave a logo option. You have vinyls, which give your Javelin different decals.

But yeah, other than lack of logos, the customization is really robust. You have like 5 or 6 different categories. Primary, secondary, tertiary, forgot what the others were. And you have 2 options. First, you choose the texture. Rubbery, Leathery, Metal plate, rugged, etc, there's lots. And once you've selected the texture, you can choose a color. You have a certain amount of selectable colors, if the color you're looking for isn't available, you are able to use customized colors by mixing them yourself. So there's no Destiny like nonsense where you need to find or buy dyes, that are one use only and you have to find/buy them again.
sounds great! thanks.

can you color individual parts of your javelin, or is it just one color for the whole suit?

like, could I apply a Red/Blue/Yellow color scheme (Superman colors) to my Javelin?

You can pretty much color your Javelin like a rainbow if you'd want to.

51162300_648950095522847_788346061839138816_o.jpg

51345975_648950118856178_8419987512100913152_o.jpg

50985965_648950108856179_7765844996279762944_o.jpg

so reading some comments for ppl who played the demo, it sounds like there are "boosts" you can add to your armor that reduce overheating while flying.

good news. I saw several "boost" slots that are unlocked as your level progresses.

I wonder if you can stack similar boosts. So, have multiple "overheat reduction" boosts, or multiple armor increase boosts, etc.

I am glad for the "demo" playing through the VIP and GA demo convinced me to cancel my pre order. Just too much about this game was just off Walking around a "city" that made me think this game was from 15 years ago. Too many long load screens. Everything felt clunky. I did enjoy the combat though.

I can see this dropping in price fast. Maybe I will pick it up for 25$ instead of the 100 I was going to spend. Now I can buy BDO to pass time.

I am glad for the "demo" playing through the VIP and GA demo convinced me to cancel my pre order. Just too much about this game was just off Walking around a "city" that made me think this game was from 15 years ago. Too many long load screens. Everything felt clunky. I did enjoy the combat though.

I can see this dropping in price fast. Maybe I will pick it up for 25$ instead of the 100 I was going to spend. Now I can buy BDO to pass time.

the long loading times I'm hoping will be improved for the final game. if not, then it will become an issue.

I do agree about walking around the fort. In the final game, the walking speed needs to be faster. or they need to give us an option to "sprint." or else include a "fast travel" mechanic. otherwise, if you have to slow walk to travel around that fort city, then it will become a tedious drag.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the game, though, as I did have fun playing the demo. I hope it doesn't turn into another Fallout76.

12637_anthemchart_d44026b9c3a75637aace44574c572048.jpg

This is the dumbest **** I've seen in a long time. Leave it to the triple A space to over complicate simply releasing a ****ing game. Sunless Skies came out the out the other day. I received an email about it then I went and bought it. Holy **** ! who knew things could be so simple.

MemoAcebo
2 days ago
ANTHEM Has Surpassed BioWare And EA's Expectations
Developer BioWare's upcoming online multiplayer action game, Anthem, has surpassed expectations. Here is more information on the title and the status after the beta launch.Read more

1 day ago
EA Is Expecting To Sell Between 5 To 6 Million Copies Of ANTHEM By The End Of March
Electronic Arts is officially expecting to sell between 5 to even 6 million copies of BioWare's highly anticipated MMORPG Anthem within a little over a month after its launch, CFO Blake Jorgensen reveals.
Read more

16 hours ago
ANTHEM's First Post-Launch Content, ECHOES OF REALITY, Arrives In March
The three updates for Anthem first post-launch content expansion have been named with a list of new features, items, and gameplay experiences players can expect from the live service.Read more

1 hour ago
New ANTHEM Developer Video Gives Us A Look At Endgame Content And Teases Cataclysms
BioWare gives us an overview of Anthem's endgame content. Check out the video below as game director Jonathan Warner walks us through contracts and Strongholds, and gives us a sneak peek at Cataclysms.Read more

source:GameFragger.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Trailers and more!

So, since the early access launch on the 15th, I've been hearing mostly negative things about this. I sincerely doubt that Bioware will manage to fix the game's core problems in a reasonable amount of time. Is Bioware effectively done now in the eyes of EA?

So, since the early access launch on the 15th, I've been hearing mostly negative things about this. I sincerely doubt that Bioware will manage to fix the game's core problems in a reasonable amount of time. Is Bioware effectively done now in the eyes of EA?
I fired this up at midnight on PS4. I had zero issues.

BaltazarOS
18 hours ago
Corporate Vice President Of Xbox Mike Ybarra Says You Should Stop "Whining" About ANTHEM
BioWare and Electronic Arts' highly anticipated looter shooter Anthem finally launches today, as Corporate Vice President of Xbox Mike Ybarra is disgusted by some critics and "amazed at the whining..."Read more

| 2/22/2019
Filed Under: "Anthem"
14757.jpg

BioWare's Anthem launches today, giving all PS4, Xbox One, and PC (with Origin) users a chance to embark on journey in an unfinished, abandoned by gods world. While the expectations were high (as always when it comes to a BioWare title), Anthem is currently sitting at a hugely disappointing 61% score on Metacritic with 23 counted reviews for the PC version, meaning that the looter shooter is even more problematic than 2017's divisive Mass Effect: Andromeda (currently at 72% on the site).

According to Corporate Vice President of Xbox Mike Ybarra, you should not express your negative opinions about this unfinished title, as Ybarra took to Twitter two days ago to say that he's "amazed at the whining. One reviewer, not the below, reviewed the game yet in the review cited that he didn’t even know how to do a combo. Embarrassing to review with such a lack of knowledge."

Considering that the game has been available in EA Early Access since last Friday, it'd make sense to expect that EA shipped a finished product, and even the mandatory day-one patch shouldn't change the game's core gameplay mechanics and the way it tries to tell its story. The fact that technical issues are just a cherry on top of many systemic designs, that never seem to work together and regularly contradict themselves, should tell you all you need to know about BioWare's latest video game.

This was actually very easy to do. Amazed at the whining. One reviewer, not the below, reviewed the game yet in the review cited that he didn’t even know how to do a combo. Embarrassing to review with such a lack of knowledge. PC Gamer on Twitter

Mike Ybarra @XboxQwik

This was actually very easy to do. Amazed at the whining. One reviewer, not the below, reviewed the game yet in the review cited that he didn’t even know how to do a combo. Embarrassing to review with such a lack of knowledge.

PC Gamer @pcgamer

Anthem's worst section has already been improved https://buff.ly/2NhJvNU

8:59 AM - Feb 20, 2019 · Sammamish, WA
Twitter Ads info and privacy

959 people are talking about this

In a world left unfinished by the gods, a shadowy faction threatens all of humankind. The only thing that stands between these villains and the ancient technology they covet are the Freelancers. Join up to three other players and assemble high-tech, hand-crafted, uniquely powerful exosuits. Explore vast ruins, battle deadly enemies, and claim otherworldly artifacts. With every mission, you and your Javelin exosuits grow in power. Fight the dangers of an ever-changing world. Rise united to defeat evil. Triumph as one.

Anthem is available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (via Origin) NOW!

2/14/2019
CONVICTION: An ANTHEM Live-Action Story By Neill Blomkamp Has Been Released Online
EA has officially released Conviction, a live-action trail... short from Chappie and District 9 Director Neill Blomkamp, Oats Studios, and BioWare, giving us a chance to learn more about the game's story...Read more

| 2/14/2019
14631.jpg

As teased two days ago, Electronic Arts has released the Neill Blomkamp-directed short set in the Anthem universe, titled Conviction. Some people still believe that it's just a trailer for a longer video, but the bad news is that the recently released footage is the only thing related to Anthem that was directed by Blomkamp, the renowned director of District 9, Elysium, and his most recent film, Chappie.

At its core, BioWare's Anthem is an online multiplayer action-RPG that will give you an opportunity to control four different Iron Man-like exosuits (called Javelins). Thanks to their power, you will embark on a journey to discover why gods have abandoned the universe, in which only the bold few have the courage to leave the world they know behind and finally confront ancient, corrupted dangers.

EA has recently confirmed that Anthem's Early Access phase will begin on February 15th for Origin Access (PC) and EA Access (Xbox One) members, meaning that you will technically have a chance to start exploring the beautiful world of Anthem as soon as tomorrow. In the meantime, be sure to take a closer look at Blomkamp's take on the BioWare-created universe in his Conviction short down below:

In a world left unfinished by the gods, a shadowy faction threatens all of humankind. The only thing that stands between these villains and the ancient technology they covet are the Freelancers. Join up to three other players and assemble high-tech, hand-crafted, uniquely powerful exosuits. Explore vast ruins, battle deadly enemies, and claim otherworldly artifacts. With every mission, you and your Javelin exosuits grow in power. Fight the dangers of an ever-changing world. Rise united to defeat evil. Triumph as one.

Anthem will be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (via Origin) on February 22, 2019.

6 days ago
EA Provides A New Overview Of The Four Javelins And How Each Approaches Combat In ANTHEM
EA gives you a unique chance to learn more about the core gameplay mechanics of BioWare's Anthem ahead of the RPG game's upcoming release, featuring an overview of the strengths the Javelin exosuits...Read more

| 2/16/2019
14659.jpg

Electronic Arts has released a new Anthem video, providing an overview of the four Javelin suits and how each approaches combat in-game. Javelins are basically Iron Man-like exosuits, that will allow the player to embark on a dangerous journey and discover why gods have abandoned the vast universe.

During EA’s latest earnings call, Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen revealed that the company is expecting to sell between 5 to 6 million units of Anthem by the end of March. Considering that BioWare’s new title will be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (via EA's own Origin) on February 22nd, the new game will only have a little over a month to reach that estimated sales goal.

Selling physical and digital copies of the game is not the only way EA is planning to make Anthem lucrative as BioWare's game will also feature optional microtransactions, which are "live services," according to EA. Anthem is just around the corner, so be sure to learn more about the title below:

n a world left unfinished by the gods, a shadowy faction threatens all of humankind. The only thing that stands between these villains and the ancient technology they covet are the Freelancers. Join up to three other players and assemble high-tech, hand-crafted, uniquely powerful exosuits. Explore vast ruins, battle deadly enemies, and claim otherworldly artifacts. With every mission, you and your Javelin exosuits grow in power. Fight the dangers of an ever-changing world. Rise united to defeat evil. Triumph as one.

Anthem will be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (via Origin) on February 22, 2019.

2 days ago
ANTHEM 5GB Day-One Patch Is Officially Out Early; Massive Loading Times Are Still Massive
After a rather rocky start in EA Access, Anthem's full version will finally release tomorrow, but the bad news is that the game's 5GB day-one patch doesn't resolve the loot shooter's biggest problems...Read more

source:GameFragger.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Trailers and more!

This game is getting trashed in the reviews. Bummer. Was really hyped for this game

Anthem is one of the worst big budget AAA games I've ever seen or played. The fact that this game from a once highly respected studio is mind-boggling.

The game is broken and barely even functional. To even say it's functional is a stretch.

The only way BioWare can survive this is by owning their failure and apologizing to their fans.

Its bricking consoles now too. Its causing the PS4 consoles to cut off entirely which can cause the console to brick due to it not being shut down properly. Not cutting off properly due to a total system crash can also mess up the HDD. Hundreds have reported this game causing a total shutdown of their consoles. The first reportd of it happening was last week, and the problem hasnt been fixed.

If this happens to your PS4 and it wont power back on, one fix seems to be unplugging the power cord, holding down the power button for 15 seconds, and then plugging the power cable in and turning it back on. If that doesnt work it's probably bricked.

Sony is now issuing refunds for anyone concerned about this. Best thing PS4 owners can do is get a refund. This game is not remotely worth the risk of bricking a $400 ps4.

Its bricking consoles now too. Its causing the PS4 consoles to cut off entirely which can cause the console to brick due to it not being shut down properly. Not cutting off properly due to a total system crash can also mess up the HDD. Hundreds have reported this game causing a total shutdown of their consoles. The first reportd of it happening was last week, and the problem hasnt been fixed.

If this happens to your PS4 and it wont power back on, one fix seems to be unplugging the power cord, holding down the power button for 15 seconds, and then plugging the power cable in and turning it back on. If that doesnt work it's probably bricked.

Sony is now issuing refunds for anyone concerned about this. Best thing PS4 owners can do is get a refund. This game is not remotely worth the risk of bricking a $400 ps4.

I was coming here to give this warning as well. I saw two YouTube videos, and the Reddit thread on it. Apparently EA says they're collecting info on it, but not currently doing anything about it.

I was avoiding this thread as I didn't want to pop in just to knock the game in case anyone in here liked it. But this is looking to be Fallout 76 part 2. I'm glad I avoided it since the common consensus is that Mass Effect Andromeda is a better game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"