Edgar Wright's Ant-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cool with the film being Lang centric as long as Pym is not stuck in the 60s.

Wouldnt it mean more box office for Ant Man if hes in Avengers 2? At least a mention or cameo of the character would be smart since they are in the same year release dates.

Interesting that they basically now make him part of Phase 3 rather than find a place for him in Phase 2, unless they do some sort of cameo or name drop during TA2.

I expect some mention, cameo or role for either Scott Lang or Hank Pym in Avengers 2.

It would miss a trick to not do something with character in Avengers 2 to generate some buzz for his solo film.

Interesting that they basically now make him part of Phase 3 rather than find a place for him in Phase 2, unless they do some sort of cameo or name drop during TA2.

But we don't know for sure that Ant-Man *is* Phase 3. We assume Avengers films are the climax to each phase, but we've only seen that once so far. For all we know, Ant-Man wraps up Phase 2 in Holiday 2015.

But yeah, like most of you, I'm thinking Marvel got this bass-ackwards. *If* they introduce Ant-Man (even in a cameo) in TA2, then give him the solo film in November to do a full-fledged backstory....? I think it's more likely that TA2 contains no hint of Ant-Man.

I don't know, I think we get some Ant-Man in IM3 and TA2. There were already rumors that Wright was going to do the post-credits scene for IM3.

Feels like centuries away but it's great to finally get a release date after what, like almost thirteen years in the making? haha

I do not care how much good this director They should a get a director that puts this Movie as a priority not puts it on the back burner every time another project draws his attention

Unless they introduce Pym in A2 and have Lang in Ant-Man
Unlikley, but still
This actually sounds like the ideal compromise if Wright is adamant about centering the Ant-Man movie on Lang. Picture it. We fans who have been clamoring for Pym would see him--and Wasp--introduced in their rightful places as key members of the Avengers, and Wright would be able to get his spy-thriller with Lang without the Pyms being completely left out in the cold.
But we don't know for sure that Ant-Man *is* Phase 3. We assume Avengers films are the climax to each phase, but we've only seen that once so far. For all we know, Ant-Man wraps up Phase 2 in Holiday 2015.

But yeah, like most of you, I'm thinking Marvel got this bass-ackwards. *If* they introduce Ant-Man (even in a cameo) in TA2, then give him the solo film in November to do a full-fledged backstory....? I think it's more likely that TA2 contains no hint of Ant-Man.
That would be weird. "And now, the movie that such epic superhero adventures as Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Marvel's The Avengers 2 have been leading up to this whole time--Ant-Man!"

I think Marvel is actually handling this smartly. Ant-Man would have a tough time attracting audiences, but if he's introduced in an awesome capacity as an Avenger in A2, audiences will want to see the continuation of his story in a solo film.

His backstory doesn't need to be that extensive, anyway. Or perhaps just told through flashbacks. Have him already developed the pym particles, maybe discuss more about how they work, and show him building/losing control of Ultron. Wasp is introduced in his film, too.

Well, you wanted Ant-Man and you got him. In 3 years.

I think Marvel is actually handling this smartly. Ant-Man would have a tough time attracting audiences, but if he's introduced in an awesome capacity as an Avenger in A2, audiences will want to see the continuation of his story in a solo film.

His backstory doesn't need to be that extensive, anyway. Or perhaps just told through flashbacks. Have him already developed the pym particles, maybe discuss more about how they work, and show him building/losing control of Ultron. Wasp is introduced in his film, too.
I agree. It's been mentioned already, but I want to say that if the Pyms do have major roles in TA2, it would really make Wright's idea of centering the Ant-Man movie on Scott Lang much more palatable. It would still feature the Pyms and touch on their backstory, but introducing and focusing on Lang could actually be a step forward in their character arc rather than "bass-ackwards."

^ Wright said it would be both, but that was years ago so who knows at this point

I agree. It's been mentioned already, but I want to say that if the Pyms do have major roles in TA2, it would really make Wright's idea of centering the Ant-Man movie on Scott Lang much more palatable. It would still feature the Pyms and touch on their backstory, but introducing and focusing on Lang could actually be a step forward in their character arc rather than "bass-ackwards."

Eh, screw Lang. If we're getting Ant-Man on screen, I want it to be Pym through and through.

He can be introduced in A2. Audiences will accept Pym particles and that this guy has developed science that makes him shrink (and possibly grow if we're going Giant Man route too). Then in a solo flick, have it take place after A2, and delve into his roots.

We don't really need to see Pym before he became Ant-Man. My ideal vision would go something like this...

In A2, Pym is brought in by SHIELD to shed light on maybe the Infinity Gems (or whatever the big baddie brings to the table). In the midst of it all, he's thrust into the fighting. He holds his own using his abilities, though he's not a hero. Not yet. He leaves at the end of the film, going back to his lab & quiet life of science...

In Ant-Man, Pym has saved the world in A2 but still prefers his life as a scientist. Wasp is present and the two have a history. There, we watch him develop Ultron and, through flashbacks, dialogue, and other devices, we learn about his origins. So, obviously Ultron goes beserk, and Pym (along with Wasp) must confront his own creation and return to the life of a hero yet again.

Eh, screw Lang. If we're getting Ant-Man on screen, I want it to be Pym through and through.

He can be introduced in A2. Audiences will accept Pym particles and that this guy has developed science that makes him shrink (and possibly grow if we're going Giant Man route too). Then in a solo flick, have it take place after A2, and delve into his roots.

We don't really need to see Pym before he became Ant-Man. My ideal vision would go something like this...

In A2, Pym is brought in by SHIELD to shed light on maybe the Infinity Gems (or whatever the big baddie brings to the table). In the midst of it all, he's thrust into the fighting. He holds his own using his abilities, though he's not a hero. Not yet. He leaves at the end of the film, going back to his lab & quiet life of science...

In Ant-Man, Pym has saved the world in A2 but still prefers his life as a scientist. Wasp is present and the two have a history. There, we watch him develop Ultron and, through flashbacks, dialogue, and other devices, we learn about his origins. So, obviously Ultron goes beserk, and Pym (along with Wasp) must confront his own creation and return to the life of a hero yet again.
Screw Lang, but as far as we know, he's still the character about whom Wright wants to make the movie.

I'd much prefer there to be a trinity of Hank Pym as Giant-Man; Janet Van Dyne as Wasp; and Scott Lang as Ant-Man. Having two Ant-Men (even separated by several decades, as was/is? the case in Cornish's original script) becomes redundant, and throwing Wasp in as yet another shrinker is even more redundant. Pym spent far more time giant-sized than tiny-sized, and there's a good dichotomy there between him as the big guy and Wasp/Lang as the little guy or girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"