Eternal Youth or Invincibility?

Whirlysplat said:
Would you rather have the ability to naturally live forever, but still be able to die from a serious wound...

Or would you rather be invincible for a lifetime, so that nothing can physically harm you?

:supes: - Whirly

I'd choose to have eternal youth and live very safely.

Odin's Lapdog said:
life in prison isn't actually life, it's a given time, you wouldn't spend the rest of your time behind bars...

and although otherwise stated by the thread starter, eternal youth doesn't mean that you yourself are eternal, it could just represent that fact that you live the same life span but you are just ageless. although that comes down to sematic of if you are the same age then your bodily functions won't die out or run down and cell regeneration will be at a tip top shape so you 'could' live forever at this pace if indeed nothing happens to you that may spoil your chances (infection, disease, children sucking your money, yadda yadda yadda).

again it comes down to interpretation.

again goes with invulnerability as even beings in marvel have their invulnerability measured against one another with some just having it stated and some being described as having VAST amounts. again it doesn't say what you are invulnerable to whether its physical harm, mental harm, medical conditions, poison etc, a woman's touch. it doesn't say whether or not your invulnerabilty means that your old cells don't fall off cause they don't die and you end up being dirty and smelly, it doesn't say anything about whether you would be able to shave since the blades won't be able to cut your invulnerable hair, heck you couldn't even pop a spot, you could be spotty forever.

and if anything, if you were found to be immortal, you'd be taken to a lab and studied intensively and not utilised in any of the ways you speak of (if the news became public).

your best bet would be to act like wolverine and get the nickname of 'luck jim' and not exploit your abilities.
Well, yes, it does come down to interpretations, but I explained what I interpreted it as. Of course there's always the possibility that either of these options could have some sort of "monkey's paw" catch to it, but since the chances are all around equal that it could be either one of them that has these catches, or both, that can't really factor in into consideration very much.

The "taken to a lab" scenario is a possibility, but would it actually be done in real life? I dunno. I could certainly volunteer for studies, so I wouldn't be a prisoner, but they wouldn't be able to operate or even draw blood, now would they?

Elijya said:
The "taken to a lab" scenario is a possibility, but would it actually be done in real life? I dunno. I could certainly volunteer for studies, so I wouldn't be a prisoner, but they wouldn't be able to operate or even draw blood, now would they?
as a scientist i know there are non destructive methods out there for analysation...

they'd definitely put your ass under and x-ray diffraction transmission electron miscroscope and have a look inside your ass.

and they can definitely hold you against your will, probably keep you until you expire.

dude if i was your friend and you were invulnerable, i'd sell my story to the lowest bidder and watch the media come after you, you don't have to blag yourself for the world to know your business

:p

Yay! Sable has a Sable avatar again. The world has returned to zen :)

hey aren't both eternal youth and invincibility the same?
they both mean that you are not able to die.
whatever, i choose eternal youth. heh heh :up:

it was explained, swift: Eternal youth we're treating as you're unable to die from natural causes, however you can be killed. Invulnerable means you can't be killed or injured, but you will die from natural causes.

Odin's Lapdog said:
as a scientist i know there are non destructive methods out there for analysation...

they'd definitely put your ass under and x-ray diffraction transmission electron miscroscope and have a look inside your ass.

and they can definitely hold you against your will, probably keep you until you expire.

dude if i was your friend and you were invulnerable, i'd sell my story to the lowest bidder and watch the media come after you, you don't have to blag yourself for the world to know your business

1. what is "blag"?
2. LOWEST Bidder? I wouldn't make friends with someone that stupid :-)p)
3. I also wouldn't make friends with someone who'd sell me out.

Odin's Lapdog said:
not all polls are intended for completely randomised sampling.

this poll is created for people who have a shared interest in a media type, otherwise it wouldn't have any purpose here in the first place :o

having a computer or not has nothing really to do with what actually the options put forward in this poll actually realistically entail.

it's like me asking you whether you prefer harp beer to budweiser when more than likely you haven't tasted harp beer before because it's produced in west africa, it gives a false impression statistically.

people are making their own definitions of eternal youth and invincibility as they see fit and writing their answers accordingly when some of these parameters aren't what i feel are really associated with these states (or perhaps overlap or are more in tune with the other).

hence based on this, what we see in the polls may not be an exact representation of what is really meant to come across..

as for the percentage weights, i haven't voted so i don't get to see the values but there is hardly any polls on this website that have enough people participating in order for any significant trends to be found, studied and made concrete.

it's a light poll just to see any light trends. however people get on to vote has no bearing on the end result since it has no affect on our answers as no other questions are asked in conjunction with it.

:)

Some of your Post I agree with.

However given the size of the sample group its statistical value is questionable as I stated earlier and you agreed with even within this forum. Even more so if people (like you) don't vote. Enjoy the discussion by friend rather than try and nit pick. We are not going to be graphing up these results and adding error bars or trying to perform an ANOVA or T test with these results trust me. ;) Lets just enjoy the discussion and treat the poll as the light hearted fun I intended.
We both know people like polls I think.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:

However given the size of the sample group its statistical value is questionable as I stated earlier and you agreed with even within this forum. Even more so if people (like you) don't vote. Enjoy the discussion by friend rather than try and nit pick. We are not going to be graphing up these results and adding error bars or trying to perform an ANOVA or T test with these results trust me. ;) Lets just enjoy the discussion and treat the poll as the light hearted fun I intended.

- Whirly

Good stuff. Let's have fun. If I live forever I could see the marvels of the future!

Invincibility. While I would probably love to live a much longer lifespan than a normal human, being alive forever doesn't appeal to me in the least. Eventually, I want to know what death's all about, hell, eventually, I'd want a break from life. So yeah, Invincibility, definitely.

CConn said:
Invincibility. While I would probably love to live a much longer lifespan than a normal human, being alive forever doesn't appeal to me in the least. Eventually, I want to know what death's all about, hell, eventually, I'd want a break from life. So yeah, Invincibility, definitely.

I can imagine living with a wife/partner for the span of her life and then thinking ****......she's gone.....but still marvel of teh future may bring life giving/prolonging technology for others.

Whirlysplat said:
Would you rather have the ability to naturally live forever, but still be able to die from a serious wound...

Or would you rather be invincible for a lifetime, so that nothing can physically harm you?

:supes: - Whirly

You're insane. Of course invincibility. Who the hell wants immortality with a catch like that?

zanos said:
You're insane. Of course invincibility. Who the hell wants immortality with a catch like that?

Insane comment was a bit harsh....:(

Elijya said:
1. what is "blag"?
2. LOWEST Bidder? I wouldn't make friends with someone that stupid :-)p)
3. I also wouldn't make friends with someone who'd sell me out.
blag?

blagging is getting yourself through a situation you really have no right to, like passing an exam after 10 minutes revision, you've blagged it. Sorry, it's british slang

2. i'm not a greedy man, the money is not my main intention rather than a secondary bonus.

3. people don't know what type of things there friends are capable of until the time comes. many people have friends that steal from them, have sex with their girlfriends, end up selling them out, it happens all the time. One would think if you knew they were going to be like this, then they wouldn't be friends with them in the first place but it's not always easy to pick out. Never think that friends or even family (close family) won't sell you out at one point or another because 95% of them will for the right price :o

zanos said:
it means you have control of your own final destiny, your time doesn't necessary have to end when nature stays so...

some would say that is ultimate power.

LexCorp said:
I can imagine living with a wife/partner for the span of her life and then thinking ****......she's gone.....but still marvel of teh future may bring life giving/prolonging technology for others.
Not just your wife, but your children, you're relatives, you're friends. After a while all of that death has to wear on you. You may even lose the ability to even care about anyone after a while.

That aside, I really think there comes a point in a lot of people's lifes - or, there would if they lived long enough - that you're just through with life; you're tired of it, you're at the finish line, you wanna move on, y'know? I would never want to deprive myself of that closure, or whatever.

The lack of pain that comes with invincibility however, I'll be quite glad to get rid of. :o

Whirlysplat said:

- Whirly
Well i've always found the discussion to actually be more important than polls and i generally don't try and include them in either/or threads that i put up.

All i'm saying is that before people make a vote, they should know all the circumstances of the conditions they are up for. Maybe a little more clarity in the opening post (although when threads become multiple pages long, people seem to pay less attention to what's been written before hand, heck it even happened to me on this thread) on the repercussions of one's choice would make it clearer so people can vote based on your clear definitions of these options rather than coming up with their own, that's all.

sure the polls don't mean much at the end of the day but it would still be nice to see what the results are but with people mishmapping definitions, it's not clear cut so it's just might provide a false impression. It's not life threatening or anything, just an observation.

as for enjoying the discussion, i did, the first three times it's been done (although the same thing was happening in each of them as well) :p

Odin's Lapdog said:
Well i've always found the discussion to actually be more important than polls and i generally don't try and include them in either/or threads that i put up.

All i'm saying is that before people make a vote, they should know all the circumstances of the conditions they are up for. Maybe a little more clarity in the opening post (although when threads become multiple pages long, people seem to pay less attention to what's been written before hand, heck it even happened to me on this thread) on the repercussions of one's choice would make it clearer so people can vote based on your clear definitions of these options rather than coming up with their own, that's all.

sure the polls don't mean much at the end of the day but it would still be nice to see what the results are but with people mishmapping definitions, it's not clear cut so it's just might provide a false impression. It's not life threatening or anything, just an observation.

as for enjoying the discussion, i did, the first three times it's been done (although the same thing was happening in each of them as well) :p

Do you feel you are in a time loop?

don't let me get started on how many

'who is the hype's best poster'

'who do you like on the hype'

'who would you marry on the hype'

'who would you date on the hype'

i've seen around.

but it's bound to happen:) complaining doesn't make it stop so it's about accepting it and trying to keep it all from a fresh perspective.

i'm going for invincibility

that way a can teach a lesson to wrong doers, with actually being hurt myself. imagine walking across a battlefield, with bombs and stuff going off around you, you dont flinch, just keep walking and punching people as you go by. you reach the enemy camp, people run up to you but you beat them up, enter the base and beat the crap out of the enemy general, capture him and take him back to your base. you would be a national/global hero.

you could be a soldier for hire........but you would have to convicted for a crime you didnt commit, you would then have to promptly escape to the loas angeles underground. survive there as a soldier of fortune. so if anybody has a problem, and noone else can help, they can hire you, the one man a team.

Lol. Just watched a movie special of DragonBallz and ironically "Lord Slug" wished on the dragonballs for Eternal Youth.. Okay pointless i'll shut up now :O

Odin's Lapdog said:
blag?

blagging is getting yourself through a situation you really have no right to, like passing an exam after 10 minutes revision, you've blagged it. Sorry, it's british slang

2. i'm not a greedy man, the money is not my main intention rather than a secondary bonus.

3. people don't know what type of things there friends are capable of until the time comes. many people have friends that steal from them, have sex with their girlfriends, end up selling them out, it happens all the time. One would think if you knew they were going to be like this, then they wouldn't be friends with them in the first place but it's not always easy to pick out. Never think that friends or even family (close family) won't sell you out at one point or another because 95% of them will for the right price :o

Thats the problem with message boards across the web my friend, all the best debates have been done to death although the results and opinons do vary from board to board even boards with a similar main focus. I noticed you said you were a Scientist, I also happen to be one. I tried to p.m. you but your inbox was full. I lecture within the field of Biology, what is your area?

- Whirly

Odin's Lapdog said:
don't let me get started on how many

'who is the hype's best poster'

'who do you like on the hype'

'who would you marry on the hype'

'who would you date on the hype'

i've seen around.

but it's bound to happen:) complaining doesn't make it stop so it's about accepting it and trying to keep it all from a fresh perspective.

Awesome. I think myself and others who are new here can offer such a fresh perspective.

If you mean Youth as in 20-30 then that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"