Fantastic Four reborn! - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me...Fantastic Four was my favorite comic growing up. So, it's emotional investment...but also...the source material is there, it can be translated to film fairly easily (Marvel proves that) and so it's just a HUGE disappointment to see so much potential wasted by a studio that seems completely clueless on how to translate the material.

Also, since bad adaptations are seen by a MUCH larger audience it can really impact how a character is viewed.

For example, Aquaman is still considered a joke by pretty much everyone but a few DC diehards thanks pretty much soley to the Superfriends cartoon.

:woot: People really be reading into my "I'm not scared of bad movies" so let me elaborate. When I see a comic movie that doesn't look like the comics, I think "Oh well" and pick up the comic. Everyone else is saying "OMG, how can they do this to me? Don't they know how long I have been reading?" and I don't understand what people are reacting to. It's not the Fantastic Four. Even if it was good, it's not the Fantastic Four. The book is available, the stories aren't changing, this movie might be bad, definitely not accurate. I just don't understand what it is about bad movies that crawl up people's backs. People are so angry they saved $12 :doh:

Because we want good movies about the things we love.

Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

Also, since bad adaptations are seen by a MUCH larger audience it can really impact how a character is viewed.

For example, Aquaman is still considered a joke by pretty much everyone but a few DC diehards thanks pretty much soley to the Superfriends cartoon.

Exactly! Bad adaptions totally alter peoples perceptions of the character. Even when (I am hopeful) Marvel gets FF rights...they are going to have to do something pretty amazing to erase peoples minds from what will likely be a very poor adaption.

Its interesting how both the story and Corman managed to pull of the Doom look easily, no matter how bad the rest of the films were, yet this film hasn't managed it. All I can think is they don't really care, they want to do it all their own way. So if they aren't even interested in doing a Doom that looks like Doom what will it mean for the rest of the film?

I've had that experience with GL. The amount of Green Lantern bashing I see on the internet now because most people just know him from the awful movie.

Its interesting how both the story and Corman managed to pull of the Doom look easily, no matter how bad the rest of the films were, yet this film hasn't managed it. All I can think is they don't really care, they want to do it all their own way. So if they aren't even interested in doing a Doom that looks like Doom what will it mean for the rest of the film?

Nolan or Burton didn't care about Batman's costume and they did it their own way. So...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a very good point. Already I hear a lot of people say the Fantastic Four are lame, they suck, etc.

To be fair we don't have any context as to what's going on in that scene. Dr. Doom could be getting/was burned in that scene. I just saw the Thing and he looks pretty darn accurate so maybe Doom will look better when he isn't completely burned.

I'm as pessimistic as the next guy about this project but I think context does matter.

Why are some people saying the Thing looks accurate? He doesn't look like the Thing other than the fact that he is rocky?

I'll still be there opening weekend to see the movie. lol

Nolan or Burton didn't care about Batman's costume and they did it their own way. So...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not an apt comparison. They both gave him a cowl that wasn't a million miles away from the books.

Seriously, if you had no idea they were making a Batman film, then saw photo's of their respective suits, you'd still know it was Batman.

Take the hood off this thing you'd have no idea it was meant to be Doctor Doom at all.

Even with the raggedy hood, without knowing this has come from the FF reboot set, would anyone really think "Oh, thats Doctor Doom!!"?

I wouldn't. I'd think it was from some low budget sword & sorcery job or something.

Why are some people saying the Thing looks accurate? He doesn't look like the Thing other than the fact that he is rocky?
He lacks the color and that's about it. Everything else is pretty spot on. Come on now.

He lacks the color and that's about it. Everything else is pretty spot on. Come on now.

No. Just no.

I would post a pic but the last time I did that it got yanked by the mods. I wish I could show you because the failure of that representation becomes egregious when compared to what wobbly was able to do to with the same image. It's not just the color. Everything about that bust is wrong. The brow most of all, but the nose, the chin, the eyes. What in your mind was spot on? That he was rocky?

Not an apt comparison. They both gave him a cowl that wasn't a million miles away from the books.

Seriously, if you had no idea they were making a Batman film, then saw photo's of their respective suits, you'd still know it was Batman.

Take the hood off this thing you'd have no idea it was meant to be Doctor Doom at all.

Even with the raggedy hood, without knowing this has come from the FF reboot set, would anyone really think "Oh, thats Doctor Doom!!"?

I wouldn't. I'd think it was from some low budget sword & sorcery job or something.

Yeah thats how I feel about the Thing photo leak, if people were shown it without context I really doubt that they would rush to say that it was the Thing. They would think it was just some generic rock man from a scifi or fantasy film, but there is nothing about it that screams "The Thing" to me.

Yeah thats how I feel about the Thing photo leak, if people were shown it without context I really doubt that they would rush to say that it was the Thing. They would think it was just some generic rock man from a scifi or fantasy film, but there is nothing about it that screams "The Thing" to me.

Exactly.

yes/no he wasn't a joke back then. But pop culture jokes/television comedy farce's have now called back to that in jokes. Robot Chicken and the like.

No. Just no.

I would post a pic but the last time I did that it got yanked by the mods. I wish I could show you because the failure of that representation becomes egregious when compared to what wobbly was able to do to with the same image. It's not just the color. Everything about that bust is wrong. The brow most of all, but the nose, the chin, the eyes. What in your mind was spot on? That he was rocky?
I'm looking at it right now and it looks like the Thing to me. You do realize there's been multiple artistic renderings of the Thing throughout the years, right? Certain artist put less emphasis on the protruding brow but even then the shape of the brow itself is actually identical if you take off those hate blinders.

I have no expectations for this film whatsoever but I refuse to succumb to hyperbole to make it work with my argument.

Admittedly I would more likely think it is the Thing from that photo than I would think it's Dr Doom from this new photo.

I personally have to agree with craig, here. The colors could be improved, but it looks like The Thing to me.

To be fair we don't have any context as to what's going on in that scene. Dr. Doom could be getting/was burned in that scene. I just saw the Thing and he looks pretty darn accurate so maybe Doom will look better when he isn't completely burned.

I'm as pessimistic as the next guy about this project but I think context does matter.

The burning thing still does not make sense to me. Why is the cape/cloak and hoodie still perfectly intact with no signs of burning. You do have a point, context does matter but I still feel like people are using the whole 'burning' point to try and excuse the look of Doom.

No it isn't. If that pic came from say the set of Neverending Story part 6 or whatever I'd be "ok" not "Wait that's the Thing from Fantastic Four?!". Not spot on, please.

The burning thing still does not make sense to me. Why is the cape/cloak and hoodie still perfectly intact with no signs of burning. You do have a point, context does matter but I still feel like people are using the whole 'burning' point to try and excuse the look of Doom.

And with the whole burning thing, that means that Doom's armour must be really crappy to be melted so easily. As I've said before, that would never happen to comic Doom otherwise Johnny would've beaten him on his own many times before. There aren't even any scorch marks or dark stains on his hood or cloak.

I'm looking at it right now and it looks like the Thing to me. You do realize there's been multiple artistic renderings of the Thing throughout the years, right? Certain artist put less emphasis on the protruding brow but even then the shape of the brow itself is actually identical if you take off those hate blinders.

What about it looks like the Thing to you? Which artistic rendering that you've seen that I could compare to? I'm just asking - not trying to be snarky or anything.

Personally I want to see the Thing portrayed the way Kirby drew him. That's iconic to me. And the fact that they screwed up the brow yet again shows me they are not learning from their mistakes. The last film didn't have it either. Why can't the Thing be portrayed with his signature brow?

Honestly, the bust just looks like the Kronan from Thor: The Dark World if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"