Favreau/Marvel takes a little jab at WB/JLA

Good luck too Marvel getting the cast together in minimum 5-10 years. A grey haired Bruce Banner and Iron-Man played by a 50 year old actor. Not to mention them managing to pay the actors (I presume they will cast some big-names in Thor and Captain America).

So if thats the way Marvel want to play it I say the chances for a Avengers-movie within 10 years are very low.

Hope it happens, but if they absolutely refuse to recast some heroes then they will have a bloody hard time doing it. It's a logistical nightmare.

Its not gonna take ten years... its gonna happen in six years or nothing. It's not like the big Four will all get their own trilogies... I think some characters will get a sequel here and there... maybe even a trilogy... but you can fit an Avengers movie in there... Jackman/Reeves played their characters four times each... its not completely out of the realm... the only problem is the budget... yes it would be ENORMOUS... but Avengers won't happen unless IM and Hulk and Thor are doing Transformers numbers. The solos need to be blockbusters... no other way around it... everyone of them... Iron Man... Hulk... Captain America... Thor... 400 million world wide minimum and a killer in DVD, merchandise sales... it can be done.. but if one of them flops... forget about it... its a huge gamble that WB doesn't want to take... totally understandable... but making concurring franchises with the same characters is cockamania.

It amazes me how many people JUST DONT GET IT.

Your NOT going to see Ed Norton and Samuel L. Jackson in an Avengers movie. And unless they start casting unknown actors for Thor and Ant Man, your not gonna see them either. Its too much money.

XMen did it right. They got their big cast starting with a star (Storm), some unkowns (Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Rogue) and a couple of old timers (Professor X, Magneto) and locked them into 3 picture deals.

You guys really dont get it. Your not gonna see an all star cast making The Avengers in 5-10 years. Favreus either delusional, or just taking the oppurtunity to throw a shot at DC.

What the hell are you talking about dude? There was no three picture contractual obligation in any of their contracts... everyone had to be signed on before each film. Why do you think it was so hard to get X3 done, and why do you think X3 was the production disaster that it was? Rushed... sloppy... and a lazy studio that couldn't get off it's own ass. Luckily we got at least something... the point is... Sam Jackson is past his prime... how the hell do you think they got Al Freaking Pacino in Ocean's 13? You give these role players limited roles... you cast an unknown for Thor... and you get your three big time names... Norton, Downey, Matt Damon for Cap? Doesn't sound that much different than Pitt, Clooney, and Damon in Ocean's. Its affordable. You are looking at a 250-300 million dollar budget... if they are economical about it they could feasibly do it at 220-230. So in the long run I think its a real long shot... but Marvel is NOT underestimating their characters I'll tell you that much. WB did... and they may lose millions in the long run. Only time will tell.

If there's only one Avengers, I'm fine with that. Continue the characters story with their solo franchises and focus on the fall out events stemming from the Avengers film. However, if there is going to be a second Avengers film, film it after the Avengers and save solo films for afterwards if necessary.

If they made sequels to Avengers it would feature different characters... a rotating cast of heroes... maybe Hawkeye... or whoever filling in. The thing a JLA has going for it is that they could have a long term X-Men type franchise if it does well. The possibilities it opens up is enticing... although I just don't see how the movie is going to be THAT ultra sucessful with a youth cast of unknowns.

well technically most of the rumored people we have heard are 24+ yrs old. Yes it is young and i wish they were actually going with early/mid 30yrs old people. But i guess we will just have to wait and see what we get officially.

People are acting like its impossible to bring big casts together for multiple films. People say it couldn't be done.

But you know look at the Harry Potter films, everyone and their mother were saying that the kids couldn't play their characters for all the movies, yet they did. And they not only kept the leads, but all the background characters and friends that only have a couple of lines, its the same people in EVERY MOVIE. The Harry Potter movies have now built up one of the strongest running ensemble casts to date. And in there you have top talent such as Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, etc. who have been in the business for decades and have hundreds of credits.

Marvel is producing these movies themselves, and if they are serious about getting the same cast and actors, which they are already talking about now so I doubt the leads are not receptive to it, then I think they will make it happen. But it counts on the movies to hit it big which I hope they do.

Part of the reason Justice League is in the mess its currently in is because of what happened to Superman. Superman really messed it up for everybody. And I hate to pick on it, because well it wasn't a terrible movie, just wasn't good enough to get the job done.

People are acting like its impossible to bring big casts together for multiple films. People say it couldn't be done.

But you know look at the Harry Potter films, everyone and their mother were saying that the kids couldn't play their characters for all the movies, yet they did. And they not only kept the leads, but all the background characters and friends that only have a couple of lines, its the same people in EVERY MOVIE. The Harry Potter movies have now built up one of the strongest running ensemble casts to date. And in there you have top talent such as Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, etc. who have been in the business for decades and have hundreds of credits.

Marvel is producing these movies themselves, and if they are serious about getting the same cast and actors, which they are already talking about now so I doubt the leads are not receptive to it, then I think they will make it happen. But it counts on the movies to hit it big which I hope they do.

Part of the reason Justice League is in the mess its currently in is because of what happened to Superman. Superman really messed it up for everybody. And I hate to pick on it, because well it wasn't a terrible movie, just wasn't good enough to get the job done.
Agreed here as much as I like SR the main problem with the movie was IMO Lex and the lack of a super villain. The whole story could have worked if they changed one thing and had Lex create a villain for Superman to fight instead of lift an island. I mean you could have had during the time period of Superman leaving Lex create Lexcorp and use that to create a super villain I think the movie would have made atleast 250 million.

Robert Downey Jr. signed onto Iron Man, knowing that Favreau was planning a trilogy. Whether its an actual Iron Man sequel or an Avengers film, I'm sure Downey would be down to don the mask again after the first film.

Edward Norton is also an actor that is fully immersing himself with the character of the Hulk, so I'm sure he'd be game for an Avengers film.

And don't bother saying that Samuel L Jackson is going to be tough to get back because that's just a joke. He actually gave Marvel permission to use his likeness in the Ultimates and he is a self proclaimed comic fan. An A-lister actor and he signed on to just appear as a cameo in Iron Man. Obviously, he's got an idea of where he wants the character to go.

For some reason, people hold the idea that good actors are above being in a comic book film, which is beyond me. If the script is good and character continues to evolve, why not? Johnny Depp had never done a sequel before POTC and is actually game to do a 4th.

Just as long as the other characters aren't huge stars, Marvel is fine. Transformers had its share of big actors (Jon Voight, Hugo Weaving, etc.) but they managed to get talented actors--not necessarily A-list.

Jackson has no shame. Seriously, the man will do any role as long as the money is there, he said so himself. He wouldn't be hard to attach to multiple films as Nick Fury.

As far as I'm concerned, there are multiple ways to make a JUSTICE LEAGUE or AVENGERS movie work and still allow room for solo hero films. Marvel's approach could work. WB's approach could work. Which is better is down to opinion, as far as I'm concerned. WB's makes a bit more business sense, but Marvel's may yield more money in the long run. It remains to be seen.

IRON MAN and THE INCREDIBLE HULK have yet to be box office smashes for Marvel. If/when they are, then Marvel can start seriously thinking about a massively budgeted AVENGERS movie coming from their solo franchises.

Regardless of their plans, Marvel still has to actually round up Robert Downey Jr, Ed Norton, Samuel Jackson and others in a single, fairly time-consuming film project. You can go on and on all you want about "They did this or that, so they'd probably be willing to do three movies", but Marvel still has to get them together and pay them a lot of money to do so, in a movie that will already have an immense budget.

I still think it's amusing that people think a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie could flop on any level.

I agree that it's possible to do an esemble franchise, but it's very difficult if you want "names" involved. HARRY POTTER is a good example of how to make an ensemble franchise. However, you can't really compare that to what MARVEL is doing. MARVEL is going after megastars to fill its Avengers roster. HARRY POTTER relied on a cast of unknowns, relative unknowns, and what are essentially "cameo" roles. Yes, they've got talented actors in the movie, but they are in small roles that do not require a huge time commitment.

Well...if Marvel can pull off an Avengers movie with all the cast from the solo movies...I say yes. I mean...I'm sure most of them won't return...but as long as some of them return it would be cool. I think for Avengers its more harder to do a new movie about them cause most movie goers don't know mos of the characters on the team.....but with Justice league...Everyone knows Batman, superman and wonderwoman and Flash...There was the Superfriends and JLA cartoons...so they don't have to worry people don't know who is who.

So Marvel is doing it the right way...let the people know who these other characters are first...then movie.

But then again...I do wish the JLA had Routh or at least a older Batman actor. Those two are the statesmen of the team...they should be older and have leadership over the younger heroes.

I agree that it's possible to do an esemble franchise, but it's very difficult if you want "names" involved. HARRY POTTER is a good example of how to make an ensemble franchise. However, you can't really compare that to what MARVEL is doing. MARVEL is going after megastars to fill its Avengers roster. HARRY POTTER relied on a cast of unknowns, relative unknowns, and what are essentially "cameo" roles. Yes, they've got talented actors in the movie, but they are in small roles that do not require a huge time commitment.

The cast of Harry Potter are no longer unknowns. And if they suddenly changed Daniel Radcliffe in the last two movies for whatever reason people would notice and be upset.

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that there's no huge time commitment to Harry Potter. Considering that these kids have been playing their characters for almost a decade. Nearly 10 years.

You don't know who Marvel is going after really. I wouldn't call Downey Jr. and Norton MEGA STARS the level of say Will Smith, Tom Cruise, or Tobey Maguire. We don't know who they are looking at for people like Cap, Hank Pym, Thor, especially Cap and Thor to fill out those roles.

And once again, Marvel is planning ahead with these actors for the future.

Obviously the WB way is NOT working out too well right now is it, because of how poorly planned out it is.

Also, we need to wait and see how Iron Man and Hulk do first. But I think Marvel is still doing the right thing by thinking and planning ahead. They have a plan for these characters, actors, and movies and are trying to follow it at least.

I wish Marvel would set all of Cap in WW2...and Thor in the Past....then when they do the Avengers movie....bring them into the present...

i havent heard anything on cap movie are they not going to have him be starting in ww2?

It's unsure as to how much Cap will actually be in a WW2 time-frame, but some have said 50/50 with the second half with him being thawed out and set in modern day.

I think it should be more 25/75 because it makes it easier to establish characters without feeling like they are crammed into only one half of a film. Just as the audience begins to like Bucky and Cap's girlfriend, they are killed and we move to modern day. Right when the audience likes Sharon Carter and Nick Fury, the movie is over. Dumb.

Yea i rather have the film be 50/50 or have the whole film set in ww2 fully and then at the end we see him get frozen and possibly last scene of getting unthawed in the present.

The cast of HARRY POTTER were unknowns when they were first cast. They're still not exactly A-level actors to most of the world. Yes, people would notice if they recast Daniel Radcliffe, but frankly, although he's been pretty good, I think a studio could get away with something like that and the franchise likely wouldn't miss too many beats.

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that there's no huge time commitment to Harry Potter. Considering that these kids have been playing their characters for almost a decade. Nearly 10 years.

I'm talking about the supporting roles that they went after larger names for. The professors, etc. Characters like Snape, Sirius Black, and even Hagrid are now reduced to one or two scenes per film.

Although, it could be argued that even the major roles no longer require an enormous time commitment. Ron and Hermione were barely in the last one.

You don't know who Marvel is going after really. I wouldn't call Downey Jr. and Norton MEGA STARS the level of say Will Smith, Tom Cruise, or Tobey Maguire. We don't know who they are looking at for people like Cap, Hank Pym, Thor, especially Cap and Thor to fill out those roles.

Downey and Norton are very well established actors. They're big names, instantly recognizeable to much of the general public. Ditto Sam Jackson. I don't know who Marvel will go after to fill the roles of Captain America, Thor, etc, but I imagine it won't be unknowns who are going to come cheaply.

Hope they're planning on spending a lot of money and rushing THE AVENGERS.

Obviously the WB way is NOT working out too well right now is it, because of how poorly planned out it is.

I'm not sure the evidence is there to support that. All we have are rumors.

Also, we need to wait and see how Iron Man and Hulk do first. But I think Marvel is still doing the right thing by thinking and planning ahead. They have a plan for these characters, actors, and movies and are trying to follow it at least.

True. I guess we'll see how well it works out.

The cast of Harry Potter are no longer unknowns. And if they suddenly changed Daniel Radcliffe in the last two movies for whatever reason people would notice and be upset.

Everyone knows you can't stand recasts... frankly I and anyone else can't stand recasts, but you especially... but man... you REALLY need to stop bringing Harry Potter into every example... whether its SPiderman, JLA, Avengers... Harry Potter was an established character well before even one movie was made... you realize how much money that stuff brings in? They only started building up that big time ensemble cast after they saw how much damage these movies can do at the B.O... the franchise makes nearly a BILLION per film... one things for sure... Avengers will need the budget of one and a half times the highest budget of any single Potter film... IM and Hulk need to be sensational... I am talking Transformers sensational... I think that is just expecting too much... not too mention a MUCH more expensive cast... and heavier special effects. Its unrealistic to think you can schedule everyone to space out 9 months of there schedule all at the same time. I am not diminishing the rewards in the long run... but you know... if it was your money... maybe it wouldn't be quite worth it from a business perspective. I'm not saying go the JLA route... if they go with the garbage they got as of now the movie will flop. But I just have a hard time believing Marvel is going to give us this ultimate product linking all there characters in one universe who started with their own franchises to begin with... maybe they keep Downey... but Norton walks... maybe they keep Norton... but Downey walks. Sam walks. Who knows? The cast isn't the only problem with it though.

So what? A JL film even with a cast of unknowns will still need a huge budget.

Keeping these guys for Avengers is no different than keeping unknowns for a JL franchise, PROVIDED it's somewhat successful.

Where does this people walking away crap come from? Samuel L. Jackson has been begging to play the Fury character for years. Jackson said once he will do any movie for the right check.

If people walk away from it, then you cross that bridge when you get to it. But if these movies are a success . . . why would they?

So what? A JL film even with a cast of unknowns will still need a huge budget.

Keeping these guys for Avengers is no different than keeping unknowns for a JL franchise, PROVIDED it's somewhat successful.

Where does this people walking away crap come from? Samuel L. Jackson has been begging to play the Fury character for years. Jackson said once he will do any movie for the right check.

If people walk away from it, then you cross that bridge when you get to it. But if these movies are a success . . . why would they?

Well... if one of them flops... get ready for a... (YIKES :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:!!!).... RECAST... they aren't going to scrap Avengers if Norton backs out of his character if they feel they can still make money with the film... thats reality whether you like it or not. And they aren't going to write the Hulk out if Norton walks.

Well what if JL flops? If the whole point was to energize and jumpstart solo films like FLASH, GL, and even a new(er) Superman?

Who says Hulk even needs to be in Avengers? They could still change it.

My feeling is that Norton knows what he signed up for, and that this is a franchise character and he should expect to do sequels or whatever if the situation calls for it.

And where is this Norton walks crap coming from? He's not walked out on anything.

i think the people are saying if after hulk comes out or by the time avengers is set to go maybe norton could walk on either due to other films he could be doing at the time, or doesnt want to do film due to personal or variety of other things that could come up.

And where is this Norton walks crap coming from? He's not walked out on anything.

Your speculating as much as I am dude... get over yourself... All you assumptions are based on the fact that these movies will be the next big thing... I am simply playing Devil's advocate... what if we get another Catwoman... Ghost Rider... we just don't know. We can't assume automatic success. I keep saying IF... and you keep presuming that means WHEN... two words that obviously do not mean the same thing.

And right off the bat you tell me they could write out the Hulk when you know damn well he is one of the most important characters in the early issues... it just goes to show me that the actor that plays the character is ten times more important than the screenplay... producers... directors... etc and comes well before all else. I am not trying to get you out of that mentality... you're free to feel that way. But you just assume its like money in the bank when it comes to counting on these actors. I'll tell you this... from what we learned over the past few years... you ALWAYS prepare for the worst...

For some reason, people hold the idea that good actors are above being in a comic book film, which is beyond me. If the script is good and character continues to evolve, why not? Johnny Depp had never done a sequel before POTC and is actually game to do a 4th.

Heres where your wrong. Thats not what Im saying. What Im saying is if your gonna make a movie like Avengers, and you want all the actors that played these heroes in their own franchise, there is no way your gonna be able to have an approvable budget if they are all big name stars.

Someone keeps comparing it to Oceans 11, its NOT THE SAME THING. The Oceans series didnt need 1/10th the special effects budget an Avengers movie would need. Not to mention, if you read interviews with the actors, the reason they all jumped on for the sequels was because it was like working while taking a big vacation with their friends. With drinking and hanging out together in Europe and Vegas going on between shooting.

By the way, id be willing to bet anyone whatever they want that Ed Norton will NOT be the Hulk in an Avengers movie. He does not seem like the type of actor to play the same role twice.

There's a huge difference between keeping unknowns for a massively budgeted franchise and stars for a massively budgeted franchise. A huge one. To the tune of millions and millions of dollars.

If JUSTICE LEAGUE flops, WB will go back to the drawing board. It's not like they're gung ho to make all the solo hero films now and will then back out if JL flops. They clearly want to wait to see how a JLA film does before pursuing any more solo superhero films.

Heres where your wrong. Thats not what Im saying. What Im saying is if your gonna make a movie like Avengers, and you want all the actors that played these heroes in their own franchise, there is no way your gonna be able to have an approvable budget if they are all big name stars.

Someone keeps comparing it to Oceans 11, its NOT THE SAME THING. The Oceans series didnt need 1/10th the special effects budget an Avengers movie would need. Not to mention, if you read interviews with the actors, the reason they all jumped on for the sequels was because it was like working while taking a big vacation with their friends. With drinking and hanging out together in Europe and Vegas going on between shooting.

By the way, id be willing to bet anyone whatever they want that Ed Norton will NOT be the Hulk in an Avengers movie. He does not seem like the type of actor to play the same role twice.

Good post man... but to go the other way... I could see this group getting together for a sort of once in a life time movie opportunity... then again... if a JLA flops... maybe that will turn not only the actors but Marvel as well for pushing for an Avengers movies... but if JLA does well... well, it really isn't a once in a lifetime movie anymore is it? Still... I won't rule Norton and Jackson out of such a film just yet... but yeah its a long shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"