Sequels Finally a Hulk Franchise?

what happened to the new hulk tv series that was going to be made?

what happened to the new hulk tv series that was going to be made?
From THR:
Upfronts 2012: Marvel's 'Hulk' Still in the Works at ABC
Network president Paul Lee says the adaptation of the Marvel Comics series wasn't ready this development cycle and is optimistic the Guillermo del Toro effort will be ready next year.
Lesley Goldberg said:
NEW YORK -- Paul Lee still wants the Hulk to smash on ABC.

The network's entertainment president told reporters Tuesday during a conference call ahead of his formal upfront presentation to Madison Avenue ad buyers in New York that he'd still like to "see some Marvel projects come to television."

"Hulk is in development," he confirmed. "It wasn't going to be ready this season but we hope it's going to be ready for next season."

Oscar nominee Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labrynth) is developing the project for the Disney-owned network after ABC's parent company purchased Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion in late 2009.

With Disney distributing box office hit The Avengers, Lee touted the corporate synergy and expressed optimism that he plans to expand its superhero slate. "We're immensely proud to be a company with The Avengers," he said. "We're going to continue to develop aggressively."

Pressed for details, Lee remained mum only noting, "We've got some in development, but none that I can talk about at this point."

More recently, ABC Studios and Fox gave a put pilot commitment to an adaptation of Marvel's The Punisher, with Criminal Minds' Ed Bernero that didn't move forward.

The update news comes as The Avengers continues to build to its box office cume. The film, which stars Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, has already topped $1 billion worldwide.

A TV series is the worst thing you can do for Hulk. You cannot water down the character with crummy effects on a weekly show on network television of all things. He needs to be used only in the key moments.

Unless it was all based on pre-accident Banner and he never relapses at any point on the show. Sort of like holding off on the Superman suit in Smallville. Banner gradually develops his experiments until the series finale where things go haywire. You can never have a dramatic set piece involving the military because it would look terrible on network TV. Just look at crap like Terranova. Why does Jurassic Park still outclass stuff 20 years later?

Hulk can't be done on TV. No way.

The Hulk Franchise is one of the best and fast growing franchises , I thought that the best time for the Hulk franchise has started, that is the products and both the prices are of improving in their ways. We have to determine that how fast a Franchise will grow is not the quality of the product or service. It is the Return On Investment(ROI) for the investors and the size of the start up costs. There are however some downsides to starting one of the fastest growing franchises, one downside being market saturation.

best franchise
low cost franchise

The Hulk Franchise is one of the best and fast growing franchises , I thought that the best time for the Hulk franchise has started, that is the products and both the prices are of improving in their ways. We have to determine that how fast a Franchise will grow is not the quality of the product or service. It is the Return On Investment(ROI) for the investors and the size of the start up costs. There are however some downsides to starting one of the fastest growing franchises, one downside being market saturation.

best franchise
low cost franchise
From Variety:
Disney revenue up 6% in second quarter
'John Carter' $200 million writedown prevents robust Q2
Marc Graser said:
While "The Avengers" assembles auds in theaters, ABC is developing a TV show based on the Incredible Hulk that Guillermo del Toro will produce. Boy targeted cable channel Disney XD already shows "Avengers" toons. Its consumer products biz is benefitting from "The Avengers'" success, selling out of toys, especially for the Hulk -- Hasbro alone is expected to generate $400 million from "Avengers"-related toy sales. Disney's theme parks are developing new attractions based on Marvel characters that don't appear at Universal's Islands of Adventure park in Orlando, Fla. And online, a "Marvel: Avengers Alliance" game has attracted over 7 million paying players on Facebook.

Angie Harmon wants to play She-Hulk.

Perhaps more importantly, Dan Slott is offering to write whatever She-Hulk pilot or movie for free.

Sounds like forces are in movement to really make Hulk a perennial. Who knew it took leaving behind the "man tormented by monster and trying to cure himself" and simplify him into a man who just unleashes a brute whenever to make the Hulk popular. Agh. I don't personally approve of this, I like Bruce Banner all tormented and trying to cure himself and I've always hoped that some day he would.

Last edited:
If there's one thing Banner learned from his experience in The Avengers, it's that helping people and making a difference doesn't have to be exclusive to Bruce Banner. If he can "control" the Hulk, if he can reel him in a bit, then the Hulk is just as capable of good deeds (albeit different) as Banner. This isn't just some monster that needs to be destroyed anymore.

I think it's a natural and healthy progression. Seeing these two personalities try to co-exist with one another has a lot of story potential.

Last edited:
Angie Harmon wants to play She-Hulk.

Perhaps more importantly, Dan Slott is offering to write whatever She-Hulk pilot or movie for free.
Awesome news! I think it's a testament to Marvel how so many people are starting to come out as geeks and say 'I want to play this role'. It wasn't that long ago when actors would say 'why do I have to wear spandex'.

I really hope She Hulk appears on screen. It would be cool to give Hulk a supporting cast of people who can keep up with him. I wonder if they can slip in Doctor Samson as well?

Say, Banner is in a therapy session when he is attacked by an enemy (lets just say The Leader for now). Jennifer is waiting in the waiting room. In the resulting chaos both Doc Samson and Jenn are placed in life threatening conditions and the only thing that can save them is gamma radiation.

For some reason I like the idea of Nick Frost as Doc Samson. I know he looks nothing like the comic book version but I just think he could bring alot of personality to the Hulk series as well as some light humour.

scaled.php

Awesome news! I think it's a testament to Marvel how so many people are starting to come out as geeks and say 'I want to play this role'. It wasn't that long ago when actors would say 'why do I have to wear spandex'.

I really hope She Hulk appears on screen. It would be cool to give Hulk a supporting cast of people who can keep up with him. I wonder if they can slip in Doctor Samson as well?

Say, Banner is in a therapy session when he is attacked by an enemy (lets just say The Leader for now). Jennifer is waiting in the waiting room. In the resulting chaos both Doc Samson and Jenn are placed in life threatening conditions and the only thing that can save them is gamma radiation.

For some reason I like the idea of Nick Frost as Doc Samson. I know he looks nothing like the comic book version but I just think he could bring alot of personality to the Hulk series as well as some light humour.

scaled.php
for the sake of continuity, I hope MS keeps the actor who played Samson in TIH. Too much recasts in this franchise could kill it for good.

I would actually like to see them move away from the cast in the first Hulk film. Not neccessarily a reboot, just some new characters. As for Doc Samson, his role was so small in TIH that they could probably get away with recasting him and no-one will notice.

I'm still not sure about this. I'm a Hulk fan, so I'll probably love it anyway, but this is for the general audience. I think the reason Hulk worked so well in Avengers (well one of the reasons), is that he had all these other characters to play off of, and every time he was on screen he left an impact, too much and he becomes less memorable. But what do I know, I liked HULK from 2003 better than TIH

I'm gunning for another Hulk film. I think we need a more mature looking Betty, to match Ruffalo's mature look.

I was against Banner's re-cast, but now that i've seen Ruffalo, i'm pleased with the change. What makes him more suited than Norton was that Ruffalo actually looks like a doctor, whereas Norton, to me, looks more like a techy computer geek. I hated Tyler as Betty, so wouldn't at all mind or miss if she is re-cast.

I had another idea for a Betty re-cast:

Julie benz
Kate Beckinsale

Also i think what was lacking from TIH was a 'wow' worthy cameo. Granted it was one of the first set up films, and Marvel was just getting the formula down, i think what was lacking in TIH was a way to get even more butts in seats like an after credits scene ala Thor, Cap, etc introducing another hero.

I would like to see either Black Panther or Henry Pym set up in Hulk 2.

Since Whedon said he would like Avengers 2 to be smaller in scale, i wouldn't mind if the events were centered around Ant-Man or Panther, but i think Hulk 2 should set up their debut.

I'd rather have a film for the than tv show because Ruffalo has given a very interesting take on Bruce Banner and think would give a better chance to explore him with out anyway restrictions

Sounds like Marvel plans to keep The Hulk busy for the next few years

Have we learned the role the Hulk will play in Phase Two and Phase Three?
Moriarty said:
There is a very short list of reporters online who consistently and correctly scoop information that is supposed to be secret. I'm not talking about breaking a casting story because the studio sent you the press release ten minutes early, and I'm not talking about the shell game that gets played with information at the trades. I'm talking about genuinely revealing something that someone else does not want revealed at all. It is a skill set that very few outlets seem to value or cultivate.

Then you've got Latino Review and El Mayimbe, who evidently subsists entirely on a liquid diet of the tears from angry studio executives. Mayimbe cracks me up because of how alpha male he gets about scoops. When you're hunting down information on movies about dudes in spandex beating all hell out of other dudes in spandex, it seems to be a particularly funny time to get aggro about what it is you're doing. And that's what makes Mayimbe great.

It also helps that he's got a pretty ridiculous track record.

Sometimes you end up with a direct pipeline into someone's creative process, and it can drive them crazy. There was a run of about three or four years where I think JJ Abrams was half-convinced I had a "Being John Malkovich" style portal into his actual skull. Right now, Mayimbe is planted deep inside Marvel's naughty spots, and he is giving them fits. He's been teasing a new Marvel scoop for weeks, and tonight, he revealed the story. If it pans out the way he describes, then he may have just laid down the framework that the entire Marvel Phase Two and Phase Three films will be using.

Keep in mind, if this is all correct, then these are fairly sizable spoilers for several of the upcoming Marvel movies. If you're an avid reader of comic books, then many of the ideas here are already known to you, while the way they're being utilized in the movie universe might be somewhat surprising.

From MTV 6/13/08 :
Should Hulk Be The Villain In 'The Avengers'? You Decide, Says Hulk Director

From MTV: 10/9/08
‘Iron Man’ Writers Want Hulk To Be ‘The Avengers’ Villain
Shawn Adler said:
Everything in the Marvel Film Universe is leading to the eventual superhero tag team-up, “The Avengers,” with Iron Man, Ant-Man, Thor, and Captain America all fighting side-by-side. What possible villain could compete with that?

“The Incredible Hulk” director Louis Leterrier told MTV News this past June that he didn’t think any villain could, and suggested that they use a hero instead: his.

“Iron Man” writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, who themselves may be writing another Marvel movie in the near future, couldn’t agree more, they told MTV News, insisting that everything is building towards making The Hulk the villain in the eagerly anticipated 2011 movie.

“I hope ‘The Avengers’ embraces that,” Fergus said of having the Hulk as misunderstood baddie. “You don’t want like 10 super-badass good guys fighting together. Where’s the fun in that? Let’s break it off a little. Friends or colleagues who become enemies is always an interesting thing because you know it’s based on love and friendship and that’s always the worst thing to have turn bad — is someone you actually care about and someone you actually believe in.”

Hulk, of course, has fought nearly every Marvel hero at some point in the comics, and because he already had his own movie, wouldn’t need to be set-up in the new one. In fact, all the hard work is already done.

“I left the door open for whoever’s going to direct ‘The Avengers’ with our last shot. Edward [Norton] and I, we consciously decided to make the last shot of the movie when he opens his eyes and he smirks at the camera,” Leterrier told us. “Is he enjoying it? Is he malicious? That’s what’s great about Edward. You don’t know if he’s a good guy or bad guy. He’s always on this edge and we’ve been sort of surfing that edge, that very thin edge during the entire movie.”

Recall, also that Downey Jr. as Tony Stark appears to General Ross at the very end of “Hulk,” a scene Leterrier called the first scene of “The Avengers.”

Sign Stark and them up for more, Fergus said.

“I personally like when good-guy characters have to fight each other,” he said. “Good guys going against good guys who both believe in an issue is way more interesting than a villain clearly into evil and I like when former friends become committed enemies.”
From MTV 10/20/08:
Will The Hulk Be The Villain In ‘The Avengers’? We Take The Issue To Marvel’s President
Shawn Adler said:
Earlier this year, "The Incredible Hulk" director Louis Leterrier got the ball rolling with the coolest comic idea since the pencil, telling MTV News that he thought his green hero would make a perfect villain — a conflicted behemoth out to fight each and every one of Marvel's greatest in "The Avengers." "Iron Man" scripters Hawk Ostby and Mark Fergus (who are in talks to potentially write another Marvel franchise) told us recently that they couldn't agree more, saying they love nothing more than when "good guys have to fight each other."

If reporters can be allowed causes, then this has been mine — one I've championed in every discussion about the myriad possibilities for "Avengers."

"So YOU'RE the one," Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige laughed in a recent conversation to talk about "The Incredible Hulk" DVD (read our chat about Feige's thoughts on the success of the film, as well as why there isn't yet a "Hulk 2" here.)

Yes, I'm the one. So the real question, Mr. Feige: should I stop talking it up, or start demanding my 10%?

"Here's the thing — it is all in the planning stages, but certainly if you look back to any number of 'Hulk' comics, or 'Avengers' comics, or 'The Ultimates' comics or the 'Ultimate Avengers' DVD that we released, it certainly makes a hell of a sequence," Feige said of a possible Hulk vs. Avengers battle, one which Leterrier set up perfectly with the end of his film with the scene depicting Tony Stark counseling a defeated General Ross.

In fact, Leterrier went so far as to call that shot the first scene of "The Avengers" when we chatted in June. For a number of reasons I detailed earlier, actually, it just makes TOO much sense — it wouldn't necessarily require Norton (just a lot of CGI), it would be a viable threat to the already assembled group (which wouldn't require an additional villain's story), and it could dovetail nicely with a "Hulk 2" set-up (which Feige admitted in our chat was something they weren't planning in the moment.)

So it's gotta be, right?

For his part, Feige wouldn't confirm or deny. But ... he sure did seem excited.

"To have all of the Avengers going up against a green goliath?" he teased. "I think that would be very cool to see that on the screen."

I'm glad as hell Shawn Adler got it wrong in 2008. And yes, Shawn, you need to shut the hell up about Hulk as a villain.

I hope it happens after Avengers 2 or concurrent with Avengers 3. The Leader can be involved, and a couple of physical villains.

I hope for an eventual Hulk solo movie but it has to be amped up, with a guest hero and some really bad villains- get the Leader involved even if it's not the same guy from Incredible who played Sterns.

^ I agree. I was originally a little bummed that Feige & everyone else said we'd have to wait so long, but I think it's for the best. I definitely want the Hulk to have a successful franchise, & I think Marvel is going to do everything possible to make sure that happens. The Hulk is a star player, & he really needs a solo movie that can do big business.

This is how I want hulk to proceed in the MCU post TA2:

2016 Dr Strange mid credits teaser (illuminati vs banner/hulk)
2017 Planet hulk. (A loose adaptation with a lot more banner)
2018 Avengers 3: World War Hulk (leading directly to...)
2019 Avengers 3: Thanos. (MCU vs the Mad Titan)

Drew Pearce Talks About His Unproduced Marvel Screenplays
Graeme McMillan said:
He also named his great Marvel white whale: "My Marvel obsession with Damage Control [a comedy series about the company tasked with cleaning up after large-scale superhero battles] is still there, but it's pretty difficult to make into a short," he said. "The clue is in the title that you have to do a lot of damage to then control it - and that's not really in the budget of a short movie. I just think it's got huge potential as a franchise."

Psst, Marvel: Given the success of Iron Man 3 and Pearce's apparent luck in focusing on properties that end up in development or use elsewhere on the Marvel Studios slate, maybe you should think about a Damage Control movie after all…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"