First Person Shooters on the XB360

DACMAN said:
GRAW and GOW are both Third Person Shooters.
I always played GRAW in First Person mode and GOW I always considered to be in the same genre as well.

Fenrir said:
So did you get it yet?
I did. On the 360. Along with Superman Returns.

Comparing it to the PC demo, I don't really see the differences you told me about. There is a red tint around the edges of the screen during slo-mo, there's all the effects and lighting tricks from the PC version, etc...

I was playing it at full settings too.

Oh wait, not 100% identical... there were soft shadows on my PC, whereas the 360 version seems locked into hard shadows.

I kind of like the hard shadowed look though. :woot:

WhatsHisFace said:
FEAR does have only one environment, but the gunplay is so intense.

Except when you're in that surreal field of fire, or when you're in those supernatural cut scenes when you enter those black clouds. That's some freaky stuff. Kind of a better version of the Max Payne dreams.

GOW is a 3rd person? LOL I'm gonna put it in tonight. Very few 3rd person games are great but I enjoyed Max Payne, the 3rd person scenes in Riddick, and the RE and TRaider series.

My favorite FPS is still Far Cry and it's sequel. Everything about that game is fun and the pacing is awesome, the firefights, the weapons, the enemies, the feral abilities, etc...I can't get enough and can't wait to see the next one though the UWE movie is frightening to think of.

Edit: Ok started Gears of War. Pretty damn frantic and I'm not used to all the controls yet but wow the graphics are pretty cool when you're in evasive mode. Switching between the weapons and targeting the enemies is a bit more difficult for me...or I'm not used to it yet. I'm clearly just starting it. I prefer FPS games much more but hopefully I learn to like this one. Graphics top notch.

Edit 2: Ok starting to get a handle of the controls a bit better. I keep thinking like it's a solo campaign and try to do everything myself and forget my squad is there to help. I love the ducking and advancing. Those damn holes that spawn hordes are a bit cliche copied from lots of games including Turok and Halo, and others before it.

I can't wait for that new Turok game. I loved Evoloution from level 4 on. The weapons and level designs were so fun to me. Levels 1-3 were horrible though. The new one looks far superior to the prior ones though.

Just traded in Prey and FEAR and picked up COD3. Will play that after GOW>

Edit: Progressing through GOW and starting to really love it. Knocked off 3 of those seeders, and then some giant freaking ogre with that satellite guided Hammer of Dawn weapon. Pretty cool. Then the twin ogres with the grenade launchers. The running and ducking and finding cover is the best part. Love it. Reminds me quite a bit of Starship Troopers...actually almost all of it.

Tell me it wouldn't be awesome if they made an Aliens Colonial Marnies game or a Starship Troopers game with the same engine.

Advanced Dark said:
^ Congrats. ;)

Thanx man, I felt good about it.

WhatsHisFace said:
Actually, it was very civil but got deleted anyway.

Sure buddy, I like how you explain or highlight why it might have been deleted then.

WhatsHisFace said:
I'm not wrong, Doom 3 sucks,

You are wrong.
Doom3 scored way above average in every printed or online review it was host to.
Thus it did not suck.
The above comment just shows you are quite immature and lacking in basic intelligence.

WhatsHisFace said:
we can argue this for as long as you want, even though it tends to go in circles because you don't seem to understand that you fall for cheap thrills and overused and underdelivered scripted events.

Hence, you have bad taste.

I was not arguing for the sake of it I was just pointing out that Doom3 was not supposed to be a tactical FPS, nor an FPS w/ a deep story or intricate balance of weapons etc.

Obviously any game that differs from the advancement of these themes and instead takes a side step into a different territory, in your eyes is worthless.

This childish perspective of yours only serves to highlight how narrow minded you are, while also exposing a lack of understanding of the creative potential and ultimate function (to be entertained) of a videogame.

Advanced Dark said:
What's his face why the hell do you have to make things so personal here? You're acting like a child. You're the only one in this thread who is wrong. Everything posted here is someone's personal point of view not an attack on you. You thought Doom 3 sucked and it's not wrong for someone to like it. Someone might not have the same tastes as you but that doesn't make you right or them wrong. Drop it.

4Real.

The best he can come up w/ is this game sucks balls, so insightful, he should write for the gaming press.

BTW- Advanced Dark do you retain any of your games, or do you trade em all in when finished for the next one?

I like the collecting aspect of the games, and would never trade in or sell a game that I love.
I’d rather just keep playing it on the higher difficulty’s until I could master it.

I trade them in. Once done I wanna try something else and not go back to it. Like Gears of War I'm at the end and will beat it soon. I'll try insane level but that'll get old after awhile though the first time through is breathtaking. The games take so long that I rarely want to go through a campaign again. Splinter Cell is kind of worth doing over at least once. That's just me.

I see, though you gotta think Gears is a keeper cause of the LIVE aspect?

Per the front page Fox/Sega just signed a deal to make new Alien(s) games for the new consoles including a first person shooter. That is needed so bad. Hopefully Sega has some good programmers to put that together. When I play Gears of War I can't help but thinking how cool an Alien game would be with that style. GOW isn't exactly a FPS but it's not a real 3rd person either like Tomb Raider or Splinter cell where you can see your whole body.

Man whathisface sure keeps away from this thread these days.
I think its cause I beat him.:oldrazz:

At being a moron. I'd stay away too. You basically said agree with me or you lack intelligence. And for the record I loved Doom 3.

f.e.a.r rocked play that first. it is great on live also.
i havent played gears yet but i guess its good.

Gears of War....man is this game great.....sometimes I get frustrated with the camera angle when you are running low.....and when enemies like the wretchs are up close you can't shoot them properly cause when you aim you move around too slow and they kill you by them.....but I gotten use to the controller...I'm up to the part that taken from the movie Pitch black....
I still haven't gotten to Tom clancy's Rainbow six Advanced War fighter and Vegas yet....

Rainbow six:Vegas is another great one...I recommend if you like Tactical first person shooters....

I'm finishing up Condemned right now and I have BioShock waiting. I cannot freaking wait to play it. The description reminds me of Deus Ex & Snowblind.

Did Snowblind have Single Player? Like a story with real levels and not just fights?

I'm a bit interested in it now because I saw it for cheap.

Did Snowblind have Single Player? Like a story with real levels and not just fights?

I'm a bit interested in it now because I saw it for cheap.

Yes it did. Snowblind was awesome. Get it...you'll have a blast. One of my favorite FPS for the XBOX. Really really fun.

I was playing condemned but have a question for those who played it. I went through the subway and then through the department store and I was supposed to catch a train. I saved it. Then the next level took me back through up to the subway level but everything seems to have reset. It appears as if I have to hit that fence with the shovel which causes all the steam to burst out. Then go back and shut off both valves and then go back through the fence up to the subway again? Is that correct? Why am I in this stupid subway again doing the same exact things again?

Anyways I'm playing Bioshock now and freaking lovin it. I'm still getting used to some of the functions but it's just beautiful. Not as realistic looking as Gears but FPS are my thing so I like it better.

why is Gears being discussed in a FPS thread? It's 3rd person...

Bioshock's the best FPS right now for 360, definately a great game. I still like SS2/Deus Ex more though.

Bioshock's the best FPS right now for 360, definately a great game. I still like SS2/Deus Ex more though.
System Shock 2 was extremely RPG-ish, especially in presentation. It looked more like an Ultima game than a Half-Life.

Still, it was a damn good game, whether you're looking at it as an FPS or an RPG. Degrading weapons was a joke, but the rest of the game was awesome.

Still, not as awesome as Deus Ex. Deus Ex will probably remain to be my favorite game made in that "style" forever. It's IP just meshed perfectly with the genre.

But Bioshock in so many ways is another excellent game. It really is deserving of a few GOTY awards whether Halo 3 is a super-smash-hit or not. And I know it will be getting them from almost every PC-centric team out there.

But yeah, Deus Ex had it all. A great theme, great characters, working for a government agency (for a while at least) is kickass, the stealth and all the options were fantastic. Perfectly designed levels for the gameplay... GAH!!! That game is insurmountable unless Deus Ex 3 pulls out ALL the stops.

Yea.. I still feel like Deus Ex: Invisible War gets waay too much heat. It's still a great game I thought, but of course it's nothing compared to Deus Ex.

Oh, and I just read on Free Radical's site they're working on Timesplitters 4!!!! Holy crap I can't wait for it, a next-gen (or is it considered current gen now?) multiplayer game that will have good multiplayer (yes, halo multiplayer is fun, but the way it's set up is horrible, and not being able to choose anything except a vague game type). I hope they include a map editor with it (I'm assuming they will).

FEAR was good i think it was overshadowed by gears of war.
if you played fear before gears came out you would have loved it, but when gears came out it made everything loook like shiz

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"