Flash solo movie NOT to be a spinoff of JL movie!

FlawlessVictory

Superhero
Reaction score
Dobkin runs with Warners, helms 'Flash'
by Boris Kyt

Nov 2, 2007

After helming comedy "Fred Claus" for Warner Bros., director David Dobkin has decided to make the studio his home, signing a three-year, first-look deal with the company.

Separately, Dobkin also has come aboard to direct "The Flash," the big-screen adaptation of the DC Comics hero. Craig Wright, creator of ABC's "Dirty Sexy Money, has been tapped to write "Flash," which is being produced by Mosaic Media's Charles Roven and Alex Gartner.

Under his deal, Dobkin will direct and produce not just comedies -- the genre in which the helmer found success -- but also hopes to tackle a wide range of projects.

"We're looking to bring comedies to Warner, and I'm also looking to make large-scale scale tentpole movies as well," Dobkin said. He added that the creative freedom Warners gave him while making "Claus" made it natural for him to set up shop there.

Dobkin's first move under the deal is to step up to produce the already in-development comedy "Boss Go Home," written by "Burn Notice" creator Matt Nix.

Dobkin's still-unnamed production company will be based in either Beverly Hills or Hollywood. He is promoting his assistant, Greg Garthe, to creative exec and is looking to fill other key positions.

In comics lore, there have been four incarnations of the Flash, who has remained one of DC's most popular characters. While it is unclear which version of the scarlet speedster will appear in Dobkin's movie, the project is not a spinoff of the upcoming "Justice League of America" movie that George Miller is directing in which the Flash is a major character.

Dobkin said he is a comic book fan and has long waited for a shot at a superhero movie, and the Flash's superpower has a relatability and simplicity he found appealing.

"Because of that simplicity, it is easy to design a theme and a story around what his inner life is in comparison to his superpower," he said.

With "Flash," Dobkin is stepping in the shoes previously filled by Shawn Levy, who left because of scheduling issues (HR 2/5).

Dobkin is known for directing "Wedding Crashers," starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. He also directed "Shanghai Knights," which starred Wilson and Jackie Chan, as well as "Clay Pigeons," which starred Vaughn. His "Fred Claus," which stars Vaughn, opens Nov. 9.

Dobkin is repped by CAA and attorney Warren Dern.

Wright, repped by UTA, also wrote on "Lost" and "Brothers & Sisters."

source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia9c51f5ef29150aa177a922e3f540660

What is going on with WB?!?!? 2 Batmen, 2 Supermen and now 2 Flash? Not too mention it has been confirmed that the solo GL movie will not feature John Stewart but instead feature Hal Jordan.

I thought JL was supposed to launch all the solo superhero movies. This is the exact opposite!!! Something tells me JL may really be falling apart.

It will put them into the public conciousness. Then they can make independent movies that don't have to connect directly with JL.

Strange way to do things, IMO. If you have a Flash already set up from JL why not just use him? I can understand separating Batman and Superman since their franchises existed before JL, but Flash? Even GL makes sense b/c it is a different character altogether. Very strange.

Interesting... Personally I prefer it this way, with separate franchises.

Well, why limit the director? Why limit the writer? Why limit the actor?

Let them be free to tell the story they want to, not have to do a spin off from another director.

Interesting... Personally I prefer it this way, with separate franchises.

Very interesting yes.

Rogzilla i will let you continue to say what i think on that topic :o :woot: :cwink:

ps: thanks Flawless for the article :yay:

I don't see a problem with this. I actually prefer it this way. Separate universes for JL and the solo films.

Very interesting yes.

Rogzilla i will let you continue to say what i think on that topic :o :woot: :cwink:

No prob.

I don't see a problem with this. I actually prefer it this way. Separate universes for JL and the solo films.

I do like the fact that WB seems committed to making superhero movies in addition to Batman and Superman. It's about time those other heroes got some of the spotlight.

Very interesting yes.

Wha? Why me? Awww man...now I gotta think...dammit man! It's Friday, work is almost over and I got a hot date with my girlfriend tomorrow (all night movie night!)!

Er...Maze...has very strong opinions...about this topic. And at such time when it will be prudent, he will reveal the information to world at large...much to the pleasure of all his lady fans. And there will be cheering and screaming and underwear will be thrown up on the stage. And there will be much rejoicing. And...er...he will say unto us..."Here is what I think on this topic." And he will tell us what he thinks...and we will know that it is good...

Unless one Flash dies in the movie...I fail to see the issue even continuitywise.

Good, no spin-offs, could be better for it.

That seems like an odd thing to write in an article. That almost suggests that they will go out of their way to contradict JLA's continuity, which is probably entirely too early to know.

It might not be a spin off but what if it is set in the same universe ? They will show that there are more Green Lanterns & Flashes out there etc. Hal could even mention John Stewart or something like that.

What's the point of mentioning John. It would only confuse the issue. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes at Warners. They are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Fans are going to be bashing one version in favor of the other. It'll be Welling/Routh times 10.

Good..Now maybe they can get Ryan Reynolds back. :D

What is going on with WB?!?!? 2 Batmen, 2 Supermen and now 2 Flash? Not too mention it has been confirmed that the solo GL movie will not feature John Stewart but instead feature Hal Jordan.

I thought JL was supposed to launch all the solo superhero movies. This is the exact opposite!!! Something tells me JL may really be falling apart.

There is no rule on continuity in comics or in film. It was always left up to the interpretation of the writer/creator/director.

yea i thought they wanted jl to be a launching point for solo films which were to be set in jl universe. But it is way to early to see where this is going to be. Hopefully things changed cause it would be nice to have films set in the same universe for once. Dc can do it since their films are done with wb. Unlike marvel which has all the characters at other film companies.

wow, this makes no sense.. what happened to all the talk of J.L. creating spin-offs??

wow, this makes no sense.. what happened to all the talk of J.L. creating spin-offs??

I'm still waiting for the official confirmation of the JL movie.
By now the JL movie isn't real.

yea why have two supes two bats and two flashs and gls running around when u can have the jla cast move over to solo films.

Something is definitely not right here...

Last week, when MTV broke the news that David Dobkin had signed on to direct The Flash, Dobkin himself confirmed that his film would feature Wally West and it would be a direct spin-off of George Miller's Justice League film...

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/27/exclusive-david-dobkin-takes-flash-reins-spills-details/

Dobkin’s film won’t be the character’s first appearance in cinemas, of course, with the Flash a major part of the upcoming “Justice League of America” film. But while fans wait for “JLA” story and casting announcements with bated breath, Dobkin can’t help but hold his – confirming that his movie will exist in the same universe as the upcoming flick.

“It’s designed to work as a spin-off from [’JLA’], so we’re honoring the story and we’re working in tandem with the storytelling,” he said. “I think we’ll just have to see how the movie does and how it works off it, but it certainly would be a movie that comes after ‘Justice League.’”

Asked which version of the Flash would be the hero of his flick, Dobkin didn’t hesitate. “Wally West,” he said.

Now Hollywood Reporter is saying that it's unclear which version of The Flash will be seen in the solo movie and it will not be a spin-off to Justice League.

Could HR be misinformed (possible, but not likely) or have plans changed at WB in regards to JL and their future DC films?

I'm glad they're treating this separately from the JLU flick like GL.

But with Wally taking up the mantle in JLA,and Barry supposedly dying,I wonder if they're gonna go with Barry since Wally's taking up the mantle/origin will already be dealt with in JLA.

who knows what is going on, hopefully we will get more confirmation on this and jl project soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"