• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Football: Chalk Talk Thread: Discussion of Football technqiue and strategy

StorminNorman

Avenger
Reaction score
(American) Football is, in my opinion, the greatest sport in the world. It's the ultimate team game, with victory dependent on competency from every aspect of your team. It's a game that requires tremendous discipline, practice and passion.

Many play the game on the little league-high school level, and Madden allows a whole nation of non-athletes pretend to be Chris Johnson. Even more watch ESPN daily because of their love of the game.

Sadly Madden and ESPN fails to do a real good job of teaching you to finer points of the game, aspects that simply aren't important on lower levels of football.

This thread is for Football Education. Have a question about the game? Ask.

I will cover topics like:

Defensive Line "techniques".
Difference between Right and Left tackle.
Differences between 3-4 and 4-3.
"Mike Backer" calls.
Blocking responsibilities.

I'll start with Defensive Line techniques since I think it is Draft relative.

One of the reasons I consider Suh a significantly more attractive prospect than Gerald McCoy this draft is his versatility in playing various roles on a defensive line.

In most 4-3 defenses, Suh can play LE (LE is typically the run oriented defensive end, with the pass rusher on the Right Side - QB's left and typically blind side), one technique (Nosetackle - NT) or three technique (Undertackle - UT). If he develops pass rush ability at the next level, he may even have the speed, reaction time and first step to play RE.

To show what I mean by technique, lets assume this is your offensive line (with the defense below, not above them in our diagram - so the E is to the right of the QB) :

E T G C G T

Anyone that has played or coached little league football is familiar with "holes" - typically they would look like this.

8 E 6 T 4 G 2 C 1 G 3 T 5 E 7

It's the same concept for defense, except that the holes are "techniques". The number starts with the center (A player that plays straight across from the Center plays the Zero Technique - a typical 3-4 nose). Every gap is an odd number, playing straight across from a player is an even number. Unlike the offensive "holes", each side of the line has their own techniques.

So for a defense it looks like this:

_E_T_G_C_G_T_E

Your basic 4-3 has the defense lined up like this:

_E_T_G_C_G_T
7___3___1___5

Your 3-4 typically looks like this:

_E_T_G_C_G_T_
__5____0___3__

Hope that explains the "Techniques" a bit better if anyone didn't understand previously.

Last edited:
Dude! What did George Carlin say about Football vs. Baseball.:hehe:

Anyway, I'm not raggin on ya, did they always have 4 downs. I like readin about the old stuff, Otto Ghramm days. I wonder how much has changed besides the pagentry and size over the years since like the early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"