Forum Decision: Should The Character Threads Stay Active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit. 24 people have already voted for option 1. This makes me scared. :(

LS, if the Option 1 wins... Does that mean you will delete character threads and people who have posted there will lose they're posts? If that happens, I have like three post left. :D

Kira said:
Dammit. 24 people have already voted for option 1. This makes me scared. :(

LS, if the Option 1 wins... Does that mean you will delete character threads and people who have posted there will lose they're posts? If that happens, I have like three post left. :D
*gasps in horror*

*gasps in double horror*

:eek:

Can I change my vote?!

I think in the end it'll end up being a case by case issue. If a thread is opened that is redundant or trivial, it can be merged into a larger thread. But if one opens for a specific and special topic, then that thread should remain independent of the other larger "official" threads. I do think the "official" threads should remain.

Either way, it's going to be a great deal of judgement calls for LS etal to keep the forum from ending up a royal clutter fest.

We all must do our best as well to keep things organized and runing smoothly. If you feel the need for commenting how hot Famke was in a particular scene, put that comment in the Famke/Jean Grey thread and do not start a new one. It's just common sense. If we all use our heads in the upcoming weeks, we will make our lives easier, and make the mods' jobs a lot easier as well.

I went for 2. Although I find i annoying to search through large amounts of pages in one thread, I find it even more annoying to have multiple threads about one subject, And I think that will happen after the movies hits. Everyone telling how good they thought the movie was, don't even mention all the newbies starting threads.

*wants to change vote*

w6w3up.gif

I voted for #2. I like the various character threads just as they are.

What's the percentage for each option? I haven't voted so I can't see.

Lightning Strikez! said:
The majority's vote rules.

Yeah that's smart, put the outcome in the hands of the people who caused the problems with spamming in the first place.:rolleyes:

i say get rid of them, i didnt mean to vote for the other... all we need is when new pics or info comes out we get to know instead of it being posted in the character thread and we have to find it... and whats the gambit thread for? he isnt in the movie, get rid of that one atleast

EnSabahNur said:
i say get rid of them, i didnt mean to vote for the other... all we need is when new pics or info comes out we get to know instead of it being posted in the character thread and we have to find it... and whats the gambit thread for? he isnt in the movie, get rid of that one atleast
:( .....*cries*

but you do have a point:(

All the Gambit thread is people going over who they want to play Gambit over and over and over...

I think it should be moved to the Sequels section TBH

Most definitely Option 2

I think its a lot easier for both newcomers and the Staff. New posters will know where to post (usually), and having character threads can prevent new, useless threads. For the Mods, its easier because they have a wide array of character threads to choose from to merge new topics, etc. It also, in cooperation with the point I made about new threads, makes it a cleaner, less confusing, space for us to post in, and for Mods to keep in order.

We, at XMFF, just started using OFFICIAL character threads, and it works really well. It just creates structure and order, in my opinion.

I think we should definitely keep the character threads.

The system works well at the moment. However, if someone feels they have something important that needs to be seen by all they should be allowed to create a temporary thread outside of the Official Character thread on the subject.

If anyone's seen the IMDB X-boards, they provide a great reason why the Character threads should stay open. Otherwise every 2 minutes a Gambit or Nightcrawler thread is launched, every 5 minutes someone complains about Cyclops or Juggernaut or asks why Jean becomes Phoenix, and etc.

What if you have 2 "Official" threads for all the major character threads (Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Wolverine). One "Official" thread is for fan chat (basically the one that's open already, i.e. Spam) and another "Official" News, Pictures, Rumors thread where only 'meaty' news and discussion is allowed (it will generally be shorter but newbies and others know where to look for up to date news on a character they want to know about).

JustABill said:
You option 1 people baffle me. Baffle me I say. You'd rather have a forum of moral uprest like IMDB? Than a forum of nicely collected discussion? Geez. :(

I don't find the "official" threads to be nicely collected discussion, when there are like 15 topics of conversation going on at the same time, in the same place, and you can't follow a discussion because there's like 7 new pages everytime you log on.

I don't like the "official" character threads, because there is more than one thing to talk about for each character. And when 4 people are talking about how cool the comic version of the character is, while 8 people are discussing the fate of the character, while 3 people are dicussing their ideal choice of actor for that character, and 9 people are *****ing about Wolverine hogging said character's screentime, it's hard to keep a conversation going, make a comment, and have it responded to.

Take the Gambit thread for example. I know Gambit's not in this movie, but sometimes I like to talk about what kind of role I would have liked to see Gambit have in this movie, and how I think it could have worked, and what not. But 80% of that forum is talking about who should play Gambit, and it's usually 80% of that 80% posting pictures of Josh Halloway. Well, that makes it hard for me to have a conversation about my ideas for a character I would have liked to see portrayed. But if I made a new thread about my ideas, it would be merged into that thread for sure.

I agree that everyone and their mama making a new thread to say "Gambit should be in!" is lame, and way too much clutter for this board. But at the same time, forcing ALL discussion on that topic into one place is too much clutter too. It's like forcing everyone who wants to talk politics into one room, where they all have to fight with each other to speak, even though one person may be talking about domestic policies, another may be talking about local policies, and others want to discuss international policies, but forcing them all into one place to discuss all that because it all falls under the category of "politics"

It's the same with these official character threads. Some people wanna discuss speculation. Some people wanna discuss what they want to see happen. Some people want to discuss "what if" and bring up different scenarios. Some people want to discuss the relationships of that character with other characters. It's multiple discussion all wedged into one place.

You know what they say, it's what's on the inside that counts. Those "official" threads might be a real sexy girl on the outside, that you wanna talk to, and get her phone #, and maybe even get to date her, but when you do date her, and start to see what she's really like, she's got too much baggage, and just isn't someone that you want to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"