Comics Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (New Series 2019)

Okay, picked up issue 2. It was better than this week's Amazing Spider-Man, just based on the artwork alone. SOLID artwork, reminds me of a dialed back (in a good way) Frank Quitely. Also, the story was good, the humor beats were there, and we get some *gasp* continuity between the concurrent series!

Either way, I'm enjoying it. Also, the cop tie-in to the family from issue 1 was nice. Seeing another little corner of Peter's world getting fleshed out is nice. It honestly reminds me of Paul Jenkins's run on Peter Parker/Spectacular Spider-Man about a decade ago, which is great.

Also, for those who care about such things, it looks like FNSM is selling exceptionally well at my LCS. They have almost sold out of both issue, which is a great way to start. So, buzz is strong on the Spider-books. FINALLY...only took a decade...wonder what changed...?

Yeah, I wonder what happened? Lol.

A bit off topic but I thought I should mention that both F4 and Iron Man's comics were pushed back. Again.

Not sure how or why Marvel puts up with his crap.

Yeah, I wonder what happened? Lol.

A bit off topic but I thought I should mention that both F4 and Iron Man's comics were pushed back. Again.

Not sure how or why Marvel puts up with his crap.

Well, I tend to play devil's advocate on these things. He may have had a family illness or personal issues come up, so I tend to blame Marvel more than him. If he can't keep up, then find another writer, get a fill-in writer for an arc, or whatever you need to do...but pushing the book out month after month is unfair to anyone who is enjoying the stories or characters. And it it's the artist...then I know one who would happily fill-in. :D

Ahem.

Either way, I live in a world where Spidey is a) Peter Parker, b) written in character, and c) FUN. Seems like forever since those things have happened. I used to scrounge looking for a good Spidey comic at my LCS the few times I went. Shoot...I didn't even feel the need to keep a pull list! Now...now I'm glad I have one!

Well, I tend to play devil's advocate on these things. He may have had a family illness or personal issues come up, so I tend to blame Marvel more than him. If he can't keep up, then find another writer, get a fill-in writer for an arc, or whatever you need to do...but pushing the book out month after month is unfair to anyone who is enjoying the stories or characters. And it it's the artist...then I know one who would happily fill-in. :D

Ahem.

Either way, I live in a world where Spidey is a) Peter Parker, b) written in character, and c) FUN. Seems like forever since those things have happened. I used to scrounge looking for a good Spidey comic at my LCS the few times I went. Shoot...I didn't even feel the need to keep a pull list! Now...now I'm glad I have one!

I would agree with you here but this isn't the first time this has happened with Slott. This has been his norm for years. It's funny you mention artists because Slott likes to throw blame, you know anywhere and to anyone, never unto himself. Yet in all the times HIS books have been late there's only one common denominator...Slott.

Gage was brought on to help with ASM and now there's already help brought on to assist with Iron Man. Gage cowrote half of Slott's workload and even then it went from 2 issues a month to a 2/1/2/1 schedule. Slott is the only writer that has consistent delays. And yet he has no good reason for his delays. Two books is the minimum for most writers and most writers go above and beyond that with no problems. Peter David had a stroke, Bendis nearly died and both of them didn't have delays, not significant ones. It's not the artists. Mike Allred was able to do other projects in between issues of Slott's Silver Surfer. Still, Slott has no reason for his delays...only has blame to try and push on others. I remember when Slott was complaining about having to write 2 books at the same time with Spidey and Silver and said he was happy that Silver was ending. Yet he seemed to have plenty of time to go on these child-like emotional tirades on forums and twitter and berating fans that didn't like his work.

And he's even made comments about wanting to write Spidey again. Lol. No thank you. Get out and stay out.

When and how did bendis almost die?

Kinda makes you wonder how Stan wrote all those issues, doesn't it?

Incredible Hulk
Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Uncanny X-Men
Journey into Mystery
Tales of Suspense
Avengers

I would agree with you here but this isn't the first time this has happened with Slott. This has been his norm for years. It's funny you mention artists because Slott likes to throw blame, you know anywhere and to anyone, never unto himself. Yet in all the times HIS books have been late there's only one common denominator...Slott.

Gage was brought on to help with ASM and now there's already help brought on to assist with Iron Man. Gage cowrote half of Slott's workload and even then it went from 2 issues a month to a 2/1/2/1 schedule. Slott is the only writer that has consistent delays. And yet he has no good reason for his delays. Two books is the minimum for most writers and most writers go above and beyond that with no problems. Peter David had a stroke, Bendis nearly died and both of them didn't have delays, not significant ones. It's not the artists. Mike Allred was able to do other projects in between issues of Slott's Silver Surfer. Still, Slott has no reason for his delays...only has blame to try and push on others. I remember when Slott was complaining about having to write 2 books at the same time with Spidey and Silver and said he was happy that Silver was ending. Yet he seemed to have plenty of time to go on these child-like emotional tirades on forums and twitter and berating fans that didn't like his work.

And he's even made comments about wanting to write Spidey again. Lol. No thank you. Get out and stay out.

Yeah, I agree on all those points. Slott doesn't have some large family, he doesn't have any (known) health issues, and he still finds time to populate message boards and twitter and post all of his political and personal tripe on there. So, yeah, if you have time for Facebook and Twitter and what have you, then you can get your work done.

Also, valid points on the thing about him having delays with Gage having to bail him out. It's like I've always said, if you keep having the same problems with different people, heck, it just might be you!

When and how did bendis almost die?

Kinda makes you wonder how Stan wrote all those issues, doesn't it?

Incredible Hulk
Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Uncanny X-Men
Journey into Mystery
Tales of Suspense
Avengers

Bendis was hospitalized with a MRSA infection and nearly died from it.

Hadn't heard about that. How long ago?

Hmmm, I don't remember exactly. I wanna say it was about a year ago. I don't know how publicised it was...I don't think anyone knew about it until he posted what happened on his Twitter account. He credited his wife with saving him--I do remember that.

Hmmm, I don't remember exactly. I wanna say it was about a year ago. I don't know how publicised it was...I don't think anyone knew about it until he posted what happened on his Twitter account. He credited his wife with saving him--I do remember that.
It was at least a year ago. I remember it was before he left Marvel.
He still didn't miss his deadlines. He may (in my opinion) have passed his prime, but his work ethic is strong! No wonder he and Bagley smashed the comics record for most consecutive on-time issues by the same creative team.

It was at least a year ago. I remember it was before he left Marvel.
He still didn't miss his deadlines. He may (in my opinion) have passed his prime, but his work ethic is strong! No wonder he and Bagley smashed the comics record for most consecutive on-time issues by the same creative team.

Yep. I'm not the biggest Bendis fan but I agree, his work ethic is excellent. I remember either from an interview or an article he talked about his daily routine--he dedicates a large portion of his time to the craft. He's a writing machine. A true professional.

Yep. I'm not the biggest Bendis fan but I agree, his work ethic is excellent. I remember either from an interview or an article he talked about his daily routine--he dedicates a large portion of his time to the craft. He's a writing machine. A true professional.

And THAT is what I like about him, and why when people get on the "Ugh...Bendis" kick, I just nod my head and move along. He earns that pro cred, and he isn't baited into constant bickering online, either about comics or politics...unlike other writers, who do more bickering about comics and politics than they do actually writing the comics.

I misspoke in a previous post. Slott already has writing help on F4 not Iron Man. However, like I predicted, due to delays Slott now has Jim Zub assigned to cowrite IM per an article on Newsarama.

Off topic, I know and I apologize. But...it's so good not to have to deal with that nonsense anymore.

I misspoke in a previous post. Slott already has writing help on F4 not Iron Man. However, like I predicted, due to delays Slott now has Jim Zub assigned to cowrite IM per an article on Newsarama.

Off topic, I know and I apologize. But...it's so good not to have to deal with that nonsense anymore.

Ha! That's one reason why I checked on here today! It's becoming problematic. Onto good news, we're onto issue three of FNSM, and no fill-in artists or writers...so, yeah.

Preview for issue #3...

robinson-cover.jpg

FNSM1.jpg

FNSM2.jpg

FNSM3.jpg

FNSM4.jpg

FNSM5.jpg

The covers have been on point recently. With the one above and ASM #15's. (I don't like to read previews...like my movies, I like going in kinda blind :])

I've actually been liking this title better than the main. Anyone?

The covers have been on point recently. With the one above and ASM #15's. (I don't like to read previews...like my movies, I like going in kinda blind :])

I've actually been liking this title better than the main. Anyone?

It really is that good. It reminds me so much of Paul Jenkins's run on Peter Parker Spider-Man, before he started having to include a major villain every arc. He used to do some awesome introspective character work with Peter and his supporting cast. Peter even had a piece of moldy cheese named Kevin. I think the fact that we kept getting little in jokes like that was so cool.

This book is great. HOPEFULLY, we keep the same creative team and don't have rotating artists, which is my main beef with Amazing Spider-Man, right now. I just want Ottley drawing it.

It really is that good. It reminds me so much of Paul Jenkins's run on Peter Parker Spider-Man, before he started having to include a major villain every arc. He used to do some awesome introspective character work with Peter and his supporting cast. Peter even had a piece of moldy cheese named Kevin. I think the fact that we kept getting little in jokes like that was so cool.

This book is great. HOPEFULLY, we keep the same creative team and don't have rotating artists, which is my main beef with Amazing Spider-Man, right now. I just want Ottley drawing it.
Did Jenkins only write on TSSM? Also, feels like forever now since we've gotten FNSM. (it's out tomorrow hah)

Did Jenkins only write on TSSM? Also, feels like forever now since we've gotten FNSM. (it's out tomorrow hah)
He wrote for Peter Parker: Spider-Man, and then that title was cancelled and we immediately got Spectacular Spider-Man (with Venom in the first issue, since Spider-man 3 was coming out). I want to say he took over PPSM with issue 20-something.

He wrote for Peter Parker: Spider-Man, and then that title was cancelled and we immediately got Spectacular Spider-Man (with Venom in the first issue, since Spider-man 3 was coming out). I want to say he took over PPSM with issue 20-something.
I feel like I have a couple of his issues because his name rings a bell..

It's 1am. My brain isn't working too well. What's the in joke with Kevin?

I feel like I have a couple of his issues because his name rings a bell..
You probably do. He did the "Death in the Family" story with Green Goblin, "The Hunger" storyline with Venom where he revealed that Eddie had cancer, and several others.

It's 1am. My brain isn't working too well. What's the in joke with Kevin?
He had no food in the fridge when he lived with Randy Robertson, just an old piece of cheese. He named it Kevin, and it just kept popping up occasionally throughout his run. Nothing special. Just mentioned. Either way, it meant that the cheese was a character. With a story.

Oh, okay, yeah, that I know. I thought there was something deeper to it.
Well, looks like my name was eventually used for a character. :( Lol
Thankfully, I'm not moldy, but my humour is cheesy! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"