Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman or Brie Larson as Captain Marvel ?

I do not understand the idea that Larson is wooden and/or flat in Captain Marvel. If all you saw was the trailers, yeah. But she is a lively spirit in the film. Which I really liked. You can tell there are times where she is trying to show no emotion, and it just isn't really working. She is this woman who has been taught to repress herself, but her natural spirit is shining through. She also has a great buddy cop chemistry with SLJ as well.
I'm still convinced if Captain Marvel was a male, everyone saying she was "flat or "wooden" would have loved her.

Nothing about this entire sequence against the Skrulls was wooden

BlindBigCleanerwrasse-max-1mb.gif

That moment when CM gets on the train and blows that strand of hair out of her face is in itself a better moment than anything Gal has given us in 3 movies.

I'm still convinced if Captain Marvel was a male, everyone saying she was "flat or "wooden" would have loved her.

Why?

That moment when CM gets on the train and blows that strand of hair out of her face is in itself a better moment than anything Gal has given us in 3 movies.
I wouldn't say that, but as someone who has been a Larson fan since her pop days, I have never found her more attractive then in CM.

Agreed. Gadot can't act to save her life.

I would have agreed with this after BvS, but she made strides with each outing. She gave her best performance in JL, and it's a shame that more people didn't see it.

She's strong, sassy and quips. She's similar to literally every lead male in the MCU in that regard.

She also lacked a certain level of charm & charisma, an it factor that a lot of the other leads & supporting actors within the MCU have displayed on at least 1 of their outings within the franchise.

Because she is basically playing a Han/Indy type. That she got so much backlash in a world with Pratt's Quill sums it up really.

I wouldn't call what she's got regarding her performance backlash, more of a critique & it's certainly not a universal opinion as you're proving.

She also lacked a certain level of charm & charisma, an it factor that a lot of the other leads & supporting actors within the MCU have displayed on at least 1 of their outings within the franchise.

Yeah I find you start to like and root for most of the MCU actor/actresses in the first 15-20 minutes of the movie where as with CM (I obviously wanted her to win) but I wasn't sold on her, there wasn't really anything that made me go "Wow I can't wait for CM 2 now".

Strange seriously benefitted from Infinity War so maybe Endgame could do the same for her.

Just personal opinion I found that scene pretty wooden tbh.

I think she has plenty of charm and charisma, but I also think some who mention that seem to be missing out that she is literally playing a character who is suppose to not being showing emotions and every time she does, is betraying her training.

I wouldn't call what she's got regarding her performance backlash, more of a critique & it's certainly not a universal opinion as you're proving.
There has been a reaction to her in general that reeks of something that has nothing to do with her performance. I don't mean you or anyone here. But yeah.

I think she has plenty of charm and charisma, but I also think some who mention that seem to be missing out that she is literally playing a character who is suppose to not being showing emotions and every time she does, is betraying her training.

I did actually say as much in the "Brie Larson is Captain Marvel!" thread, that I was hoping her wooden/flat performance was somewhat by design to play off on her confusion/confliction between her human/kree characteristics, while at the same time hoping to see her drastically changed come Avengers: Endgame & any films beyond.

Charm & charisma is one of those things that's quite subjective, it's also one of those things that's hard to explain exactly what it is. For example if you asked me why I thought Brie Larson lacked charm/charisma in CM & why Gal Gadot oozed it in WW? I don't think I could give you a decent answer.

There has been a reaction to her in general that reeks of something that has nothing to do with her performance. I don't mean you or anyone here. But yeah.

I couldn't care less about any of that nonsense to be brutally honest.

I did actually say as much in the "Brie Larson is Captain Marvel!" thread, that I was hoping her wooden/flat performance was somewhat by design to play off on her confusion/confliction between her human/kree characteristics, while at the same time hoping to see her drastically changed come Avengers: Endgame & any films beyond.

Charm & charisma is one of those things that's quite subjective, it's also one of those things that's hard to explain exactly what it is. For example if you asked me why I thought Brie Larson lacked charm/charisma in CM & why Gal Gadot oozed it in WW? I don't think I could give you a decent answer.
She's already rather playful in CM and Endgame is going to be weird, as it is the first CM movie she actually filmed.

I couldn't care less about any of that nonsense to be brutally honest.
Whether you care or not though, that doesn't mean it isn't there. Which is why it comes up.

She's already rather playful in CM and Endgame is going to be weird, as it is the first CM movie she actually filmed.

I've only watched the trailer(s) as I'm trying to avoid spoilers right down to fan theories & she's only in that at the very end with Thor & The Stormbreaker.

Whether you care or not though, that doesn't mean it isn't there. Which is why it comes up.

Yeah but I don't really see the point in bringing it up because it doesn't seem like anybody on here is being unreasonable with their critique of her performance all it's doing is deflecting actual criticism & siphoning in with the nonsense.

The third time I saw it I paid close attention to her being playful and charming. The opening scene with Jude Law, the entire sequence where she's fighting the Skrulls on the ship, the list goes on and on. It's all there. Even the scene where she's interrogating Fury.
Not to mention she constantly gets told to "Control her emotions, "forget her past", and to stop joking around.

I would probably say Gal had more "charm" in Wonder Woman, sure. I thought Carol was a more well rounded character though and I got a lot more out of her arc than Diana's.

The third time I saw it I paid close attention to her being playful and charming. The opening scene with Jude Law, the entire sequence where she's fighting the Skrulls on the ship, the list goes on and on. It's all there. Even the scene where she's interrogating Fury.
Not to mention she constantly gets told to "Control her emotions, "forget her past", and to stop joking around.

I would probably say Gal had more "charm" in Wonder Woman, sure. I thought Carol was a more well rounded character though and I got a lot more out of her arc than Diana's.

Wow, you saw CM 3 times. Respect your opinion but I found BL so dull in CM that once was more than enough.

Maybe with the Russos directing BL will be more interesting as CM and she'll have the Avengers to play off of. I know she's got the acting chops ( although people say that about Alicia Vikander and I find her boring as hell) but for whatever reason she was pretty snoozy in CM and Benning, Mendelson, Law and SLJ completely upstaged her. I struggle to think of an MCU film where the lead was so badly edged out by the supporting cast. The reason I voted for Gal is that she utterly eclipses the rest of the cast in WW ( who are pretty one diemensional stock characters) she totally owns that film in a way that BL never comes close to.

Maybe it's more that she was badly written. I mean come on, immediately after she finds out that everything she knows is a lie she runs outside and yells "EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!" give the audience some freaking credit. That's not bad acting just terrible direction and writing.

I would expect better from the Russos so maybe I'll be more of a fan after Endgame.

The reason I voted for Gal is that she utterly eclipses the rest of the cast in WW ( who are pretty one diemensional stock characters) she totally owns that film in a way that BL never comes close to.

I can't agree with that. Chris Pine is constantly acting circles around her, actually being believable at every point, and you can easily see how Connie Nielsen is a good actress while Gadot just stands there and reacts by overemoting to what she says. It becomes pretty funny.

Gadot's character is written to be more special than other characters but Gadot herself is clearly not among the better actors in the movie. She's still the model that's trying to act. That goes of course even more outside WW, which every Gadot supporter here seem desperate not to talk about.

Larson has no such weaknesses where she's a liability to the movie in her acting. I've not become a big fan of the Captain Marvel character yet though. Both Larson and Gadot leave something to be desired in terms of action as well, where neither has put in as much work as the best male actors in physique and athleticism.

I can't agree with that. Chris Pine is constantly acting circles around her, actually being believable at every point, and you can easily see how Connie Nielsen is a good actress while Gadot just stands there and reacts by overemoting to what she says. It becomes pretty funny.

Gadot's character is written to be more special than other characters but Gadot herself is clearly not among the better actors in the movie. She's still the model that's trying to act. That goes of course even more outside WW, which every Gadot supporter here seem desperate not to talk about.

Larson has no such weaknesses where she's a liability to the movie in her acting. I've not become a big fan of the Captain Marvel character yet though. Both Larson and Gadot leave something to be desired in terms of action as well, where neither has put in as much work as the best male actors in physique and athleticism.

We must agree to disagree. Ordinarily I like Chris Pine a lot, but I felt like he mistimed and forced his lines a lot in that film. Under normal circumstances he should come across as the better actor (than Gal) by a wide margin, but somehow he didn't in WW. All in all I felt he was quite a let down as Steve Trevor, who was a very watered down version of Pine's take on Captain Kirk. In contrast Gal came across as genuinely strong and compassionate which is what made her so likeable.

I have never suggested that Gal is a great, or even good actress, but for whatever reason she nailed the role in WW. I was one of her biggest naysayers going into WW, but came out stunned by how good she was. I wouldn't be surprised if the next non-WW project I see her in, she's awful.

As far as physiques go, after seeing Gal in FnF she put on quite a bit of muscle for WW, as naturally she's very thin. She has a height advantage on BL, as Gal is 5'10 to BL's 5'7". In the WW heel-boots Gal is probably about 6 foot.

We didn't see much of BL's physique as she wore a padded spacesuit for pretty much the whole film. TBH I don't worry about an actor's physique that much, even for superhero films. While actors like Hugh Jackman and the MCU Chris squad (Evans, Hemsworth and Pratt) have all put in the time to show off their chiselled torsos and biceps is that really necessary ? To me the performance is much more important, which is why Michael Keaton was a good Batman.

If BL had been better as CM I would have become invested regardless of whether she was rippling with muscle.

We must agree to disagree. Ordinarily I like Chris Pine a lot, but I felt like he mistimed and forced his lines a lot in that film. Under normal circumstances he should come across as the better actor (than Gal) by a wide margin, but somehow he didn't in WW. All in all I felt he was quite a let down as Steve Trevor, who was a very watered down version of Pine's take on Captain Kirk. In contrast Gal came across as genuinely strong and compassionate which is what made her so likeable.

I have never suggested that Gal is a great, or even good actress, but for whatever reason she nailed the role in WW. I was one of her biggest naysayers going into WW, but came out stunned by how good she was. I wouldn't be surprised if the next non-WW project I see her in, she's awful.

As far as physiques go, after seeing Gal in FnF she put on quite a bit of muscle for WW, as naturally she's very thin. She has a height advantage on BL, as Gal is 5'10 to BL's 5'7". In the WW heel-boots Gal is probably about 6 foot.

We didn't see much of BL's physique as she wore a padded spacesuit for pretty much the whole film. TBH I don't worry about an actor's physique that much, even for superhero films. While actors like Hugh Jackman and the MCU Chris squad (Evans, Hemsworth and Pratt) have all put in the time to show off their chiselled torsos and biceps is that really necessary ? To me the performance is much more important, which is why Michael Keaton was a good Batman.

If BL had been better as CM I would have become invested regardless of whether she was rippling with muscle.

While it was perhaps not Pine's best work I think he still outdid Gadot by a big margin. Steve always felt like a real person, which I don't think Diana did. I think you catch Gal acting here and there.

Some of the charm and naivety towards war is also a bit odd for a person brought up in a real warrior society, despite her being protected for some of her earliest years, but that's not on Gadot and the thread is of course about what the actors did and not what the characters are.

Both Gal and Brie trained a lot, but I still think there's a clear difference between them and most of the guys. Especially ones like Evans and Hemsworth. It's also a bit odd how Gadot has spoken about having done harder workouts in the military, yet she was a stick before she started training for BvS. I don't mean to say that this is the most important aspect, but I also don't mean just their physical appearance but also that they don't come across at the same level of athleticism, which is needed to perform superhero physicality as good as you can (of course no human will actually move like a super strong being, but you aim to be as close as possible). But then again being very muscular isn't seen as very pretty on women so I doubt they want to get really far in that direction.

All in all I think Gadot has the charm in that she can easily wake the male libido and come across as pleasant with her smiles and so on, but in terms of portraying a character as a real person I think Brie did a clearly better job with more nuance and accuracy, even though I'm sure she's had better roles elsewhere (I haven't really seen any of her movies).

I'd say that Brie was the only saving grace of a completely disposable movie. She handles scenes that demand quality acting with ease, something that Gal will never be able to do, but when it comes to glowing smiles, striking a pose and quips, she looked so out of her element.

I believe she deserved MUCH better material to work with. And perhaps a different comic book character to portray.

While it was perhaps not Pine's best work I think he still outdid Gadot by a big margin. Steve always felt like a real person, which I don't think Diana did. I think you catch Gal acting here and there.

Some of the charm and naivety towards war is also a bit odd for a person brought up in a real warrior society, despite her being protected for some of her earliest years, but that's not on Gadot and the thread is of course about what the actors did and not what the characters are.

Both Gal and Brie trained a lot, but I still think there's a clear difference between them and most of the guys. Especially ones like Evans and Hemsworth. It's also a bit odd how Gadot has spoken about having done harder workouts in the military, yet she was a stick before she started training for BvS. I don't mean to say that this is the most important aspect, but I also don't mean just their physical appearance but also that they don't come across at the same level of athleticism, which is needed to perform superhero physicality as good as you can (of course no human will actually move like a super strong being, but you aim to be as close as possible). But then again being very muscular isn't seen as very pretty on women so I doubt they want to get really far in that direction.

All in all I think Gadot has the charm in that she can easily wake the male libido and come across as pleasant with her smiles and so on, but in terms of portraying a character as a real person I think Brie did a clearly better job with more nuance and accuracy, even though I'm sure she's had better roles elsewhere (I haven't really seen any of her movies).

Agree to disagree.

Although I will agree that on balance BL is definitely the better actress ( Oscar says so) I still found her pretty forgettable as CM whereas GG was awesome as WW - its a question of 2 particular performances ( I'm not counting GG in B v S because she had a lot of presence but didn't do much except kick ass, I enjoyed her in JL but overall that's a pretty mediocre film and nobody comes out of it looking too good).

To me the best WW moment when she says to Trevor " No, but that's what I'm going to do" before stepping up out of the trench. It's a powerful moment that I didn't expect and BL didn't get anything like that in CM. Honestly while she's attractive it isn't GG's look as WW that does it for me ( IMO Gina Carano had the absolutely perfect WW look, but is a very mediocre actress) it's GG's performance.

Physicality wise GG is always going to look more athletic and convincing in a fight scene than BL because of her taller frame and IDF training.

Still I expect that endgame will enhance rather than harm BL as CM - better material and better directors.

There is a triple rainbow in the sky/

Brie Larson looks at it with a blank judgmental stare of a hundred outraged twitter accounts.

Gadot looks at it with wonder and a fun inviting grace of embrace.

:o

His kids have also met Brie and only said ''sup'' to her.

Last edited:
There is a triple rainbow in the sky/

Brie Larson looks at it with a blank judgmental stare of a hundred outraged twitter accounts.

Gadot looks at it with wonder and a fun inviting grace of embrace.

:o

His kids have also met Brie and only said ''sup'' to her.

My takeaway from that is that Chris Hemsworth is quite a nice guy - probably why he can make one of marvel's least relatable characters so enjoyable ( good writing and directing helps too ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"