BvS Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, when it comes to comic books, Wonder Woman did it first. But the problem is that it's a different medium; ie. film so the comparisons are inevitable. In some ways its just how human beings react, they go off what they have seen recently or before so when the costume reveal occurs there will be comparisons to Xena/Thor.

That's one of the dangers for the studio because its important to establish Wonder Woman on her own terms. Its why I am not in favor of the descendants of Kryptonians rumor that has been making the rounds of the Internet. Wonder Woman needs a clear-cut origin story of her own (along with the other Amazons.)

See the thing is.. That rumor is totally fan made and it plays into fanboy obsessions. Turning WW into an adjunct to Superman's mythos and origin IS NOT SOMETHING that studios or the creative minds involved would even think of doing, not out of respect for the source material, but because they in general don't have the need to have these things actually somehow be 100% logical or consistent. Hell, Nolan who was praised for being so grounded had Bat guano stupid and illogical stuff in the whole of TDKT (the uber faithful never admit it, but... yeah that stuff is there).

No, the Krypton origin thing for WW is purely a fanboy thing. I am not in the least worried about that.

I certainly hope it stays fan fiction; Amazons as descended from Kryptonians is a terrible idea. Just like how Oscorp is seemingly the originator of Spiderman's entire rogue gallery in the new Spideyverse, this will make the DCU a very small (and unimaginative) place.

I certainly hope it stays fan fiction; Amazons as descended from Kryptonians is a terrible idea. Just like how Oscorp is seemingly the originator of Spiderman's entire rogue gallery in the new Spideyverse, this will make the DCU a very small (and unimaginative) place.

I supremely hate the Oscorp thing with a passion.

No matter what, they need to come up with a palatable story and not like she's been living in the amazon.

No matter what, they need to come up with a palatable story and not like she's been living in the amazon.

The Amazon rain forest? That's never been her origin. :huh:

The Amazon rain forest? That's never been her origin. :huh:

Amazon, Greece, Paradise Island, whatever. I mean it can't exist as a secret location on earth, the audience would scoff

When it comes to the logistics/world-building on screen it comes largely down to does the source material/mythology of another character, like Wonder Woman, fit into the universe they are presenting on screen? Will it fit the tone presented? And if not, what gets ejected and what is kept? It’s a delicate balance for a studio.

Amazon, Greece, Paradise Island, whatever. I mean it can't exist as a secret location on earth, the audience would scoff

And... You lost me.

Did the audience scoff at the Harry Potter films? No.

There is no reason Fantasy Magic and Fantasy Sci Fi cannot exist side by side in the DCCU. Not a single reason. So having an island protected by magic is fine. And there was a little show called LOST that had a magical island at it's center. Were audiences scoffing? There is a show called ONCE UPON A TIME on ABC (owned by DISNEY, who also owns MARVEL) with a town protected by magic. It's in it's 3rd season. Audiences aren't scoffing. You don't like the idea. That's fine. But many films and other properties have had crazy **** in them and done just fine. Quite frankly the rainbow bridge to Asgard and all the rest of THOR seemed too funky, to easily scoffed at by many as well. Seems to have worked out there. And don't tell me that they changed the magic to science because the truth is most of the GA gives less than two airborne copulations about that fig leaf explanation. Its the fanboys that obsess about it.

in a movie with a flying alien god and a guy in a bat suit????

When it comes to the logistics/world-building on screen it comes largely down to does the source material/mythology of another character, like Wonder Woman, fit into the universe they are presenting on screen? Will it fit the tone presented? And if not, what gets ejected and what is kept? It’s a delicate balance for a studio.

That's one way to do it. It's not the only way.

Some sort of portal or Paradise Island could have some sort of shield which is untraceable to humankind. I for one am ready for more magical elements to happen in this universe. :BA

Now let me be! I shall punch yo eye out.

Yes! I scoff at being expected to be able to suspend disbelief and accept magic as part of a comic book movie!

/me realizes she didn't finish watching last Sunday's 2 hour episode of "Once Upon A Time" and runs back to her Directv Genie DVR :woot::woot::woot::oldrazz:

We had a full, living, breathing Krypton. Why are people scared there won't be a Themyscira?

I'm trying to understand where this fear is coming from based on what we were given in MOS as well as Snyder's track record.

Screenwriting 101: The Audience will believe anything you put in the script as long as it's before the climax.

i dont hear any audience scoffing when they explained Asgard. and that had something to do with the World Tree and all that. quite frankly i was impressed on how they made the Nordic tales relatable to Thor and to modern day audiences then fit it with sci fi elements of the Avengers.

they managed to get Thor to work with great aplomb. unless Snyder and gang are total nitwits (and theyre not) they should find it easier to integrate WW's greek-myth history with the the scifi elements of Supes and Bats.

i dont hear any audience scoffing when they explained Asgard. and that had something to do with the World Tree and all that. quite frankly i was impressed on how they made the Nordic tales relatable to Thor and to modern day audiences then fit it with sci fi elements of the Avengers.

they managed to get Thor to work with great aplomb. unless Snyder and gang are total nitwits (and theyre not) they should find it easier to integrate WW's greek-myth history with the the scifi elements of Supes and Bats.

and it should be easier since everyone knows Greek myth...hardly anyone knows Norse myth (pre-Thor)

We had a full, living, breathing Krypton. Why are people scared there won't be a Themyscira?

I'm trying to understand where this fear is coming from based on what we were given in MOS as well as Snyder's track record.

I aint afraid of crap until given a concrete reason to be worried. The problem is all the fanboys that can't seem to wrap their heads around an integrated superhero universe where each superhero has it's unique origin intact. I feel like they miss the actual point of having a somewhat faithful live action universe.

I supremely hate the Oscorp thing with a passion.

It was simply distracting and too in your face, instead of unfolding organically as part of the hero's story.

As for fitting in the likes of Amazonians and Atlanteans, it would fit in the whole Superman is the first superhero theme if they and other mythical communities finally emerge from seclusion and announce their presence to the world in the wake of the Earth being threatened. Likewise Batman and other urban legends.

There are many paths in which a writer can choose when presenting characters new to a story but what Warner Bros will be looking for is wide-acceptance of what they are presenting since Wonder Woman is largely an unanswered question when it comes to the world of cinema. And the audience is not without bounds; Diana Prince, and to a larger degree Wonder Woman will be heavily scrutinized by audiences and critics.

After all, it’s one thing to present something new, something which fits within the parameters of the story you are wanting told but another thing entirely for an audience to accept and identify with what is presented to them.

^Isn't that true of any superhero character ripped from the pages of comics though?

It does but it also comes largely down to the kind of story they are telling and how you present it to audiences. Since the focus is mostly upon Batman and Superman, they will be wanting to keep the focus tightly upon them, but also introduce Wonder Woman in a way which not only gets audiences on side but sparks their curiosity/desire in seeing more (which is crucial for future solo films.)

and it should be easier since everyone knows Greek myth...hardly anyone knows Norse myth (pre-Thor)
exactly. Thor (and to some extent Captain America) gave me a lot of hope that the right Hollywood people knows what to do. and given Zach's treatment of MOS, we do have the right Hollywood person to at least intro our Amazon Princess.

It does but it also comes largely down to the kind of story they are telling and how you present it to audiences. Since the focus is mostly upon Batman and Superman, they will be wanting to keep the focus tightly upon them, but also introduce Wonder Woman in a way which not only gets audiences on side but sparks their curiosity/desire in seeing more (which is crucial for future solo films.)
you have very valid points, but i think they would have a bit more elbow room since after BvS they will proceed with JL. that will give WW a bit more room to spread her wings (so to speak) before they let her take flight in her solo franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"