World Gambit

How is Guy Pearce too old? He is only 38. It isn't like Hollywood has ever been concerned with using the most approrpirate actors anyway. Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine even though Logan is 5'3 where as Hugh Jackman is about 6'4. So if everybody can let that slide, I don't see why Guy Pearce couldn't be Gambit. He can look the part, and I find him to be a very credible actor. His acting in Count of Monte Cristo and Memento is excellent. But that is of course ultimately my opinion.

I like Guy Pierce, don't get me wrong. He was amazing in LA Confidential, but he doesn't have the charm that Gambit requires. For this Heath Ledger would be a better fit. Gambit is playful and flirtatious. I find Guy to be too stiff, he would have made a better Cyclops actually. Steve Zahn (Sahara, Joyride) would make a good Gambit in how he comes off on the screen but he doesn't look a thing like Gambit, but you would need a charmer like that.:O

I said that Guy pearce would be too old because then he couln't flirt or try to get with rogue in the films.

squeekness said:
I read this too and then when I started coming here I heard he got dropped. It seems like there are people here with more up to date info, even a couple of guys who are actually in the movie in minor parts. I can't say now who's more reliable.:confused:
See that's the thing we don't know who's lying-cause fox have been known to play games.

ljr said:
See that's the thing we don't know who's lying-cause fox have been known to play games.
Sadly, I agree.:(

ghost113 said:
I said that Guy pearce would be too old because then he couln't flirt or try to get with rogue in the films.

They've already strayed away from the book continuity on that subject. Anna Marie and Bobby Drake are the couple in the movie universe, not Anna Marie and Remy Le Beau. So I don't see it is a imperative that Gambit is played by a younger person, unless your objective is to see Gambit's best role as bieng somebody to flirt with a young Rogue.

I think Gambit should just flirt a little with Rogue but nothing too serious. It could be just a wink and a smile.

Exactly,rogue no doubt will break up with bobby anyway so there not a couple.Plus rogue and gambit are the xmen 'it' couple the movie should at least give a nod to this.

Can anyone tell me why there are no decent Gambit T-shirts? I mean, really. I get my Diamond ordering book every month with glee, I stroll to the apparel section and there ain't jack crap. Oh, there's lots of Wolvie shirts (I know because I order them...), Storm shirts and Beast shirts, but no Gambit. The closest I got was a recent cover of X-men. It was a cool picture, don't get me wrong, I love Salvador Larrocca, but geez, it was a group shot and poor Gambit was teeny tiny, way up top, and wearing a stupid blindfold cuz they blinded him for two friggin' issues. I demand more Gambit shirts!:mad:

This thread is dead. I would have thought with all of us Gambit freaks out there that this would have been like the best thread ever. But it's not. Geez... no wonder they cancelled his book.:(

squeekness said:
Can anyone tell me why there are no decent Gambit T-shirts? I mean, really. I get my Diamond ordering book every month with glee, I stroll to the apparel section and there ain't jack crap. Oh, there's lots of Wolvie shirts (I know because I order them...), Storm shirts and Beast shirts, but no Gambit. The closest I got was a recent cover of X-men. It was a cool picture, don't get me wrong, I love Salvador Larrocca, but geez, it was a group shot and poor Gambit was teeny tiny, way up top, and wearing a stupid blindfold cuz they blinded him for two friggin' issues. I demand more Gambit shirts!
-----
This thread is dead. I would have thought with all of us Gambit freaks out there that this would have been like the best thread ever. But it's not. Geez... no wonder they cancelled his book.:(
Yeah not alot of merchandise for Gambit. I once saw a really nice Gambit and Rogue painting on eBay. Looked really good. Marvel tends to lag behind with good merchandise. For really good stuff, look to Japan. They are the Kings of merchandising. The amount of stuff they come up with is impressive. I wish American companies would learn from them. :up:

And I bought every issue of his new series. So I supported him, even if the writing was poor. As for this thread, I don't visit the X-World section much.

If they bring Gambit in on X-4, and he and Rogue become a couple. They have to copy the dating scene from issue 24 of X-men. That was the first X-men comic I ever bought. :up: :xmen:

I am not a not a big Remy/Rogue shipper. I have never forgiven her for Joseph --a magneto clone that she only went with because he could touch her. I did think it was hilarious when there was this three way fight on the lawn as Gambit was all jealous and confronted the pair. (X-men 58). Gambit was criticising Rogue and then Joseph all started agreeing with him and then the two guys were all laughing about it. It was cool.:)

squeekness said:
I have never forgiven her for Joseph --a magneto clone that she only went with because he could touch her.

Your reponse doesn't sound like you got to read the whole story (or are confusing it with the AoA alternate timeline where she was with Magneto because he both raised her and could touch her - boy talk about a twisted and controlling relationship AoA Magneto had over her). Anyway, she was with Joe (as a friend) because she thought he was Magneto (only deaged) and she owed Magneto for saving her life (when the detached Carol personna almost killed her) and was in hopes of him redeeming himself since she thought he had lost him memory. She thought this was a new start for Magneto and hoped she could help him do that. She didn't even know he could touch her (using a device he made at the school) until way later and only issues prior to her telling him and everyone she still loved Gambit. She was never with Joseph because they could touch (or because he fixed a way they could touch) since she didn't even know that until later and she only let him kiss her on the forehead even then. They never even touched but that one time. After a long series of events, they parted way as friends even after Gambit had already been left behind because the X-Men found out about his participation in the massacre - Rogue though being forced by Magneto to absorb Gambit to find out, and Joe eventually died stopping the real Magneto. She wasn't with Gambit at the time she met Joe because Gambit couldn't be forthright with her about his painful secret of the massacre. She knew it was bad and their kissing had brought the issue up but he couldn't tell her what it was. Only Magneto forcing her to absorb him again did she learn the whole story. She was upset (and had Gambit in her head) that Gambit couldn't be honest with her (much as her whole issue with him about the massacre was - not that he was involved but once they were together that he was so scared he still couldn't tell her about it). Between bascially being Gambit and having his guilt over what happened in her head that she couldn't get over and the fact that he wasn't honest with her is what lead to the Antartica mess between the two of them. Now the X-Men were just mad about his part in the massacre.

I did think it was hilarious when there was this three way fight on the lawn as Gambit was all jealous and confronted the pair. (X-men 58). Gambit was criticising Rogue and then Joseph all started agreeing with him and then the two guys were all laughing about it. It was cool.:)

Gambit didn't criticise Rogue at all in that scene. She called them both childish for fighting and they agreed with each other that they were being silly and then had a laugh about it. It was a funny bonding scene though.

As for T-shirts, they use to have a lot of them about 10 years ago but not many but Wolverine ones anymore. I have a really good Gambit one from X-Men 45 with him half in shadow charging a card.

Nice review, it has been a while since I read the books, but I did think that Rogue was cold to Gambit just the same. I have never seen her apologize for leaving Gambit in Antarctica tho someone in a fanfiction posited that she dumped him because the memories she absorbed called her to -- that Gambit really wanted her to do it so she did. I'm not sure that I buy that. I did think her interest in Joe wasn't simply platonic. She had flirted some with Magneto in the Savage Land and if she thought Joe was really Mags I think she was interested just the same. Plus she was all flirty with that ghost guy in her recent solo series, that only reinforced the idea in my mind about her motivations. I realize Gambit is not a saint, he has not been faithful -- at least with his body -- I do think he has been true to her in his heart, I'm not so sure about her.

I did see some Gambit T-shirts on E-Bay and was tempted, but the thing with those is that they would be collector's items and I wouldn't want to wear them. I would fancy something current that I could wear around and not feel guilty of it got ruined. It does bum me out that there isn't much. At least no that I've seen around here.

squeekness said:
Nice review, it has been a while since I read the books, but I did think that Rogue was cold to Gambit just the same.

Well she was - at least somewhat. As noted at the time, he was not being upfront with her. In that instance she had reason to be mad. Right now in the x-books, she should be way more mad at Mystique.

I have never seen her apologize for leaving Gambit in Antarctica

She appologized in the 1st Gambit Series Annual

tho someone in a fanfiction posited that she dumped him because the memories she absorbed called her to -- that Gambit really wanted her to do it so she did. I'm not sure that I buy that.

Well I don't know that the memories told her to but she was feeling his guilt very strongly after kissing him at the trial as the comic stated when Gambit returned to the X-Men. I always assumed it was a combination of both her hurt at him not trusting her enough to tell her the truth and his memories just making it worse. In other words, I think she was mad at him and may have stayed mad at him for awhile after that but eventually would have forgiven him as she did but that it was his guilt on top that made her so crazy she actually left him in Antartica. IE: I think she would have broken up with him for awhile because of what happened but I don't think she would have left him behind if not for him own personna and his guilt in her head at the time. Gambit was asking her to leave him himself so he was feeling that way at the time and she had just absorbed him.

I did think her interest in Joe wasn't simply platonic. She had flirted some with Magneto in the Savage Land and if she thought Joe was really Mags I think she was interested just the same.

Rogue likes to flirt period as Gambit does. It's sort of her outlet for sexual frustration (one of the things that I think attracted Gambit), and she likely did have some nagging feelings for Joe when she thought he was Magneto (as stated the reason they were close in the Savage Land was that he saved her life - Rogue takes those sorts of things very personally as not many people have been nice to her in her life but she wasn't attracted enough to be involved with him as a boyfriend even after he expressed more affection for her later and showed he could help her touch). Rogue at least then knew the difference between gratitude and love and she was grateful to Mags but knew he had serious issues after the Savage Land.

Plus she was all flirty with that ghost guy in her recent solo series,

The story explained that. He was "a dream" mutant". Basically the longer he was around someone the more he became what they "dreamed of". Ie - why he was southern and looked alot like a blond Remy. Sort of like how Mystique made "Foxx" recently was suppose to be everything a man would attracted to. By default she was going to find him at a minimum attractive.

I realize Gambit is not a saint, he has not been faithful -- at least with his body

Actually comic books wise - he has. The only confirmed stories we have of him with others is when they've been broken up. Even in his recent series, Lili came on to him and while we are never told what happened, he had little to no time to do much of anything with her and still steal the cards as he did. It really makes no sense time-wise for him to have done more than kiss Lili and knock her out so she couldn't rat him out. No matter what the hints were, the actual facts don't work out but even tempted Gambt would not want Rogue to know. While I don't doubt Gambit's slept around when they have broken up, he's tried hard to be faithful when with her.

-- I do think he has been true to her in his heart, I'm not so sure about her.

Rogue is definitely the more confused of the two but then she's also the one with less experience with relationships in general, she was sheltered away by Mystique as a child and seriously used by Raven - giving her trust issues and her powers didn't help getting close to anyone else - as well as her powers have cause her memory and emotion problems at times since when bad she can't sometimes tell what she is feeling or if it belongs to someone else. Because of being used so much, she wears her heart on her sleeve and when hurt tends to overreact and run because that's the only way she could deal with things as a child that helped. I think Rogue's been true but she's way more erratic about it since sometimes she doesn't even know herself how she thinks or is suppose to act. Gambit's definitely the "anchor" of their boat of a relationship while she's the sail. She drives the relationship and moves it along but he keeps it from being crashed on the rocks during a storm.

I would fancy something current that I could wear around and not feel guilty of it got ruined. It does bum me out that there isn't much. At least no that I've seen around here.

If I run across anything. I'll note it.

Wow, clearly you are a Rogue fan and well up on the facts. (Head hurting....:O ). Maybe I have been a little hard on her, she just annoys me. I was almost hoping that Gambit would go with Foxx, she definitely seemed his type. (We want more nekkid Gambit shower scenes!:up: :up: :up: !) I am surprised that Gambit got a lot of flak for being tempted, she wasn't teh only one, and I am not the least bit pleased with Bobby Drake right now for being such a dick about it and if you read the Iceman thread I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I was disappointed with the cancellation of Gambit's series, I didn't think it was that bad and he gets so little screen time in the team book -- at least for me. I am quite certain he and Lili had a fling. I am not so certain that Rogue diferentiates between "together time" and "we are not together time." I have such a thing in my fanfiction where when Rogue says they are still a couple Gambit is faithful, but when they bicker and separate for a while he is not. I never got that explicitly said in the comics. I think she would be pissed if she knew about Lili. Gambit does too, he didn't want her to see what was on that disc.

squeekness said:
Wow, clearly you are a Rogue fan and well up on the facts. (Head hurting....:O ).

Well I'm a fan of a number of X-Men characters that happen to include both Gambit and Rogue and have read enough issues to know most of a lot of the characters histories.

Maybe I have been a little hard on her, she just annoys me. I was almost hoping that Gambit would go with Foxx, she definitely seemed his type.

I didn't think so - maybe if he wanted a fling but that was the point that he didn't. Foxx was cheap, obvious and crass - all of Gambit's real attractions have been with women that had a unique style and some bit of strength and challenge to their personality from other thieves, to Belle, to cops, Rogue. Gambit doesn't find "easy" attractive. Actually women who throw themselves at Gambit are the ones he hasn't been that attracted to except just they are pretty. Frankly I didn't even think Foxx was that.

(We want more nekkid Gambit shower scenes!:up: :up: :up: !).

Heh.

I am surprised that Gambit got a lot of flak for being tempted,

That was absurd. I don't have a clue what Milligan is writing. Everyone is an idiot on the team right now. Emma being snotty about tempation when she cheated with Scott and them even considering Raven's request without so much as questioning if she was even sincere given her past of lies is beyond stupid.

I am not the least bit pleased with Bobby Drake right now for being such a dick about it and if you read the Iceman thread I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Bobby is being written horribly. He has been a bitter dick lately. And some of the assumptions he makes are like why would he even think that.

I am quite certain he and Lili had a fling.

I'm not. It makes no sense to me. Not that Gambit might not have a fling espeically when not with Rogue but not in the middle of a heist based on time - ever. Gambit's real vice is being a great thief. It's why what really got him going about the Geniveve incident in Paris was not sleeping with her but stealing from her the same way she stole the necklace in the first place. Gambit never lost his professional tactic with Genieve in Paris and he was way younger then - if anything Gambit is a planned professional thief or he wouldn't be suspected of so many thiefts by Interpol but with no proof. Lili was seducing him when he had only a short time to get to the cards before the guests arrived. Yes she was naked and I dont for a minute believe Gambit wanted Rogue to know a naked woman was trying to seduce him or that I do believe he likely had to kiss Lili before getting rid of her some way and even that he liked the experience but I don't believe for a minute that Gambit slept with her when he didn't have time to if he was going to steal the cards. More when we see later Gambit going after the tape, while he doesn't want Rogue to see it because as he states to the kids that she will be mad, it never acts like it will end their relationship. Heck he stops in the middle of getting the thing to play/train them. He's just not that worried about it. Sure he jokes she'll put him in traction but he never says anything about her ending their relationship. If he really was that worried, he'd never tell the kids what he was after either and he was very clear what was on the tape (a woman trying to seduce him) despite that they would have been more impressed if he said it was a sex tape.

I am not so certain that Rogue diferentiates between "together time" and "we are not together time."

Oh i think she does. I even wonder if she breaks up with him to "give him off time". There have been a few break ups that made little sense any other way and she does even try to break up with Gambit when she thinks he's attracted to Foxx so he can have a fling with Foxx until Gambit tells her he doesnt want to. But they are together at the moment anyway.

I have such a thing in my fanfiction where when Rogue says they are still a couple Gambit is faithful, but when they bicker and separate for a while he is not. I never got that explicitly said in the comics.

They never have but we have seen him with others when they have been apart - at least after the first time and as I said it even makes sense in a way for Rogue to be setting that up when she feels guilty about her power.

I think she would be pissed if she knew about Lili. Gambit does too, he didn't want her to see what was on that disc.

Oh I think she'd be PO'd at a naked woman after him when they are together especially knowing she can't do that which is why I think Gambit didn't tell her about Mystique either. Because it was her mother but also I don't think Gambit would want Rogue to know how often women might actually come after him. It just brings the issue up when it's not needed and Rogue already has a reasonable insecurity about not being able to do that with him. Also in the case of the Lili thing, remember that the girl Ginny sent it to Rogue under Gambit's name. Think about if your guy mailed you a tape (not that he did but since it came supposedly from him) with a naked woman on it after him even if he didn't go all the way with her and the two of you can't touch? What would you think he was trying to tell you? Rogue does a have a temper and acts first and asks questions later. Gambit was trying to avoid having the fight and the explaination which he knew would be painful but didn't seem to think it would last and they'd get over it as noted above since he really wasn't trying all that hard to get it. If he really had sex with Lili on that tape, Rogue would be more than just upset for a bit and Gambit acts like it's too much of a joke with the kids for me to think he was really that worried it would break him and Rogue up for good - he more acted like they would just have a fight over it that he wanted to avoid but not that it was the end.

So yeah I don't see that he had a fling with Lili. The wrong reaction is there for that no matter what Ginny and her mother said - both of them were shown to exagerate and lie for their reasons over and over especially with Gambit so I don't trust their hints on it. Ginny over reacted to anything Gambit did with a woman even the female cop pecking him on the cheek or patting his butt when Gambit didn't want her to and wasn't even the least attracted to the cop. Gambit's actions at the mansion are not of a man so desperate to get that CD that he basically spends most of the time joking around with kids.

I am going to respectfully disagree with you on the Lili thing. The first thing he says when he walks out of the room is "I'm only human, non?" like it was a joke. My gut reaction was to be a little offended by that, seeing as he is supposed to be in a relationship. I personally think the writer did it because the book was supposed to appeal to teenaged boys who wish they could get some but can't. Besides that, when Remy was all beat up and thinking about "his best girl" Lili was the first one pictured and then Remy had to remind himself just who his best girl really was. I think what bugged me more was that this whole thing was presented so casually like Gambit does this all the time, and then Gambit had the nerve to be all put out when he thought Rogue was all flirty with the ghost guy in her book. I realize that these things did not happen simulatneously, Gambit was still blind in Rogues book but the writers eihter need to communicate better with one another or Rogue and Remy need to make up their minds.

I also thought back on it and in Extreme when Rogue and Remy were powerless and could touch I thought Rogue was still a bit cold then, too. I thought someone asked her (Storm maybe?) about if they were going to get more serious, hinting perhaps at a possible marriage, and Anna just put her right off, like she was still holding Gambit at arm's length. I'm not the only one who thought so, again, I read another fanfiction where someone expanded on this idea.:)

im a gambit freak, every drawing i do, has some form of gambit in it, no matter what i draw, there is gambit type stuff in it,....i even have gambit hairstyle.....:) typical gambit fans...i also bought winter gloves that cost 2.00....and i cut the fingers off, and patched an X on the top of the gloves (opposite from the palm)

squeekness said:
I am going to respectfully disagree with you on the Lili thing. The first thing he says when he walks out of the room is "I'm only human, non?" like it was a joke.

Sure we can disagree especially since even the writer said it was suppose to be vague for a reason and could be taken any way you wanted. It was suppose to be a joke. Layman (the writer) basically stated in interviews that he wanted the book to be different in that it was light hearted. You weren't suppose to take it seriously like say Rogue's book. He also stated that the Lili incident was suppose to be vague for that very reason as well. If you want to believe he did something fine (as you stated about certain readers) but he also said it was written as just as likely nothing happened because of the time line etc. It wasn't suppose to impune the character. He didn't if you don't believe he would and did if you don't care - it was just to make the book fun. If you knew for a fact what exactly happened then how mad Rogue might be wouldn't be part of the fun - but he did't write Gambit as if he was worried Rogue would leave him if she really found out what happened and just saying he's human meant that he found a naked woman attractive. Well of course. It's sort of like being tempted by Foxx - sure he was attracted and even aroused but looking is not doing. Milligan referenced the scene in his stories basically stating nothing happened more than yet another female trying to seduce Gambit.

I personally think the writer did it because the book was supposed to appeal to teenaged boys who wish they could get some but can't.

Exactly, he wanted it vague for that reason but if he really wanted it to be fact, he could have made it so but didn't.

I realize that these things did not happen simulatneously, Gambit was still blind in Rogues book but the writers eihter need to communicate better with one another or Rogue and Remy need to make up their minds.

Well that's partially it but there are two different things going on as I said. Gambit's wasn't serious attraction - he never considered Lili seriously in his book except when dilerious. The book wasn't serious either. The Rogue book on the other hand was talking about Rogue being seriously attracted to this guy (because of his powers it turns out) but it was to be taken as an emotional part of their relationship. Gambit noted Lili was physically attractive but he never went looking for a relationship of any kind with her except business - she like Mystique came on to him not the other way around. It's not like Gambit went to her room like Scott did with Emma. It's comparing apples and oranges in both how the books were written and what the emotional issue was. It's not a crime to find someone physically attractive (everyone does no matter how in love with someone else they are) and which is why the Mystique tempting him is silly to be worried about. Be mad at Mystique about that. She even told Rogue Gambit resisited Foxx. Everyone's reaction was to blame Gambit for Mystique's actions which was stupid. As noted he was not Scott who went looking to Emma for an afair and she just obliged. :)

I also thought back on it and in Extreme when Rogue and Remy were powerless and could touch I thought Rogue was still a bit cold then, too. I thought someone asked her (Storm maybe?) about if they were going to get more serious, hinting perhaps at a possible marriage, and Anna just put her right off, like she was still holding Gambit at arm's length. I'm not the only one who thought so, again, I read another fanfiction where someone expanded on this idea.:)

Well yes she was putting off the marriage idea but then I think that was her more being cold to Bishop and Sage about them prying into her personal life not that she was cold to Gambit. It really was a bit early for them to be talking marriage when she had just started to touch - they needed to get to know each other in thier new circumstance and they were living together. She commented on how she liked the idea of being his woman and they were seen over and over in romantic clutches from her running into his arms to reading a book together.

Some of my favorite Gambit pictures :

gambit.gif

Gambit20transparent.gif

Gambitextreme.jpg

Mike Vogel could play gambit. He was in Grind and supercross the movie. I'll post pictures later.

This is him not the best picture but you can see where i am coming from.

I so want that as my avatar when i can get one that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"