General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by Thread Manager, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I suspect its the other way around: the trailer is being designed well before there is a final cut of the movie. They aren't deliberately making stuff just for the trailer, they are making trailers with material still in play that happens to be cut later. You can't wait to market the movie until after its gone gold, after all.

2. Kane52630

Kane52630 TURBO MAN USER

3. titansupes

titansupes Registered

About 12 hours left for me. Fortunately, I'll have a long meeting in the middle of the day, and then an event to go to right before, so my mind will be on other stuff and I won't go sniffing around the reviews... Unfortunately however, I have just booked a very early start tomorrow, so I probably will have to go straight to bed and not post my thoughts until the next night.

4. Binker

Binker Registered

Has anyone who has seen it reveal any spoilers, like the movie from beginning to end? Just asking...

5. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

i don't know of any specific place
    Why?
    Are you looking for spoilers?

6. tanita_mors

tanita_mors Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once

there is an entire synopsis on reddit at this point

7. Wise

Wise Watchtower Janitor

Went to the Disney premiere event earlier tonight.

In short I loved it. It's not perfect, it takes a little while to get going and there are a few scenes where it drags somewhat. But damn the third act is incredible they absolutely nail it and wow them in the end.

If anyone has questions I'll be happy to answer them in spoiler tags,

8. Filmfan93

Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Thanks for the info!

Without giving spoilers, can you please tell me what exactly Vader's screen time is and
    is he clearly visible in his scenes and particularly that last scene with him or there is a lot of shaky cam?

Also, how does Jones sound as him? Similarly to the OT or different?

Thank you !

9. Wise

Wise Watchtower Janitor

Vader has two scenes.

The first is Director Krennic visiting him at his private facility, which seems to be inspired by Bast castle. He's the one in the Bacta tank we saw in the trailer. The hooded guy is just an old man who seems to be his butler. Krennic and him discuss the Death Star and Tarkin taking over the project. Krennic is obsessed with trying to make a name for himself in the Emperor's eyes and tries to press Vader to speak to Palpatine in his name. Vader isn't having any of this and basically tells Krennic to make sure that Erso didn't institute any intentional design flaws into the Death Star and even force chokes Krennic slightly when he oversteps his bounds asking about whether he is back in charge of the DS.

Vader's second scene almost steal the whole movie. After the battle of Skarrif the Rebel fleet has intercepted the Death Star plans as they are beamed from the surface to the Rebel flagship. As the fleet is escaping to Hyperspace Vader's Star Destroyer emerges and CLEANS HOUSE. Vader takes a ROTJ era shuttle over to the disabled flagship (and I can't emphasise enough here how awesome this is) completely and believebly in a non over the top prequel manner, DESTROYS a rebel platoon in the halls of the flagship with his lightsaber and force choke/push.

Jones for the most part sounds great. There's just one line delivery where his performance slightly slips and you can sort of infer his advanced age a teeny bit.

#59 Wise, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  10. jokesonm3

jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

11. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Man I can't WAIT to see this friday!!! Probably the ONE movie I don't know alot of the details on. lol

12. jokesonm3

jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

T-Minus 9 hours left for me till my showing. :p

13. Ene

Ene Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Four hours to go. Wildly excited.

14. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

yeah I work tonight and most of tomorrow. Hopefully the matinee won't be as packed

15. Filmfan93

Thank you, but you didn't answer my first 2 questions and completely neglected my request when I asked you specifically not to give away spoilers.

#65 Filmfan93, Dec 14, 2016
  16. sycamore

sycamore Registered

Going to see it Saturday at noon. Theatre I'm going to, all the staff dresses up as characters from the films -- stormtroopers, mandalorians, wookies, etc. Its always a blast.

17. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- The Mandalorian

I just watched the movie and the third act is great.

18. Webhead38

Webhead38 Registered

Does this film have the same Star Wars intro with the logo and a brief prologue stretched out over space? And does it have a Chapter entry or just the title?

19. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

There isn't no crawl. A long time ago appears, cut to prologue and Rogue One title card and then the movie. No Star Wars, no chapter or episode number, no crawl. The part of the new hope crawl is basically the crawl for this film.

20. Verbal21

Verbal21 Registered

For those that know, how much time do X/Y-Wings get and how are the TIE Strikers?

21. Galactus123

Galactus123 Registered

Screentime and voice:
    maybe over 5 minutes or something like that. He is clearly visible. Jones sounds good but not as good as in OT.

#71 Galactus123, Dec 14, 2016
  22. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Saw it today. I thought it dragged a little throughout, but the third act makes up for it. The last 15 minutes especially are amazing.

Vader doesn't get a huge amount of screentime but when he's there he's THERE. Most of the new characters are likable, though some of them have some awkward moments where the camera lingers too long. The new creatures are great and 99.9% are practical.

The score is fine, it doesn't really stand out as opposed to other Star Wars scores. The CGI and sound design are amazing. One CGI creation will cause a lot of discussion.

Tons and tons of nods to Star Wars lore. I'll have to digest it a little bit, but for now... good movie, not amazing. Worth the wait I'd say.

23. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Registered

Max Landis is having a meltdown on twitter.

24. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Oh, what is he saying? :funny:

25. Filmfan93

Thank you for the responses!

One more question:

Does the film have that "spacey" feel that the OT has? I mean, that cool feeling whenever they show a space scene, battle or a planet?

I liked how the OT depicts the vastness of space. I was a bit disappointed that TFA didn't have many shots set in space nor major space battles. I particularly liked the shot of the Falcon flying off from Jakku. It was one of the few space scenes.

So, how is it in Rogue One? Does it have that above mentioned feel? I always associate the OT with it.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.