General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by Thread Manager, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmc away for a while

I'll quickly say also, there is some distractingly, video game like CGI in this which completely takes me out of the movie.

2. Broseph44 Witness Me

I saw one of the Vader scenes. Omg :mrk:

3. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

:mrk:

[​IMG]

4. Reek _____

Don't hesitate to share :ilv:

5. jmc away for a while

There doesn't appear to be a user review thread so I'll post my review in here.

Rogue One is probably the first prequel ever made that actually adds something to the story that follows it. I'm actually scratching my head to try and think of another prequel story that comes close to doing what this has done. It's actually made me look at A New Hope in a completely different way.

What I took away from this film is how much I wanted to immediately watch Episode 4 afterwards. And this is what in theory a prequel in suppose to do. Where the Lucas prequel trilogy went wrong is they were too focused on tying things together, trying to create too much of a symmetry with the original trilogy and not allowing an organic story to build to its inevitable conclusion. Rogue One on the other hand takes one piece of that original trilogy and builds around it a unique story and set of characters that serves the next chapter, but is not a slave to it. All of Hollywood needs to take note of this movie the next time some suggests a prequel to any movie franchise they own.

Jyn Erso may be the face of this movie but in all honesty it's not really her story, it's very much an ensemble piece. It feels far more inline line with a film like Inception where you have a lead characters who doesn't necessarily standout too much from the supporting cast. Everyone is good though, with the standout being K2SO bringing much needed humour in what is a surprisingly serious story.

The first two acts of the film have some pacing issues, but by the time the third act rolls around the film really kicks into gear, a delivers one of the best sci-fi war sequences I can recall. It's the first time in the series a battle felt like a genuine war was happening on screen. What was surprising was despite knowing exactly how this film was going to end there was still an emotional core to the film, and that's because you actually gave a damn about these rebels. Someone put it best that this was almost like a movie based on a real life event. You know how it ends, you know where it leads, but the journey to that point is just as fascinating.

The negatives, as I said the first two acts have pacing issues, but the biggest issue is there are some CGI characters in this that really shouldn't be here. I'm not going to give it away, and I understand why the creative team did it this way, but it was completely distracting to me whilst watching it. Mixed in with the real life characters they looked like people from a video game cutscenes. There was a simple solution to doing it but they chose the wrong path for the sake of tying into the original trilogy. It's the only time this film feels beholden to Episode 4.

Overall, this goes down as one of the better Star Wars films and proof the universe can move on from the Skywalkers. Hopefully Episode 8 was taking notes about this prior to shooting, because there's a whole universe of characters to explore and so many different story that can be told.

8/10

6. Ene Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

Talking about the pacing and the very fulfilling third act, it almost reminds me of Denis Villeneuve's direction, even if it definitely isn't near his level of brilliance.

I didn't like the beginning. I understand why they didn't use the crawl, but just jump-scaring into the movie like that felt kind of tacky. The moment I truly got into the picture was when they were arriving in Jedha. I really need a rewatch.

7. titansupes Registered

It's true that it really does add another great dimension to ANH.

8. Marvolo Registered

Ugh this week is dragging.

9. bholliday Registered

The film was....odd. It's certainly a Gareth Edwards Star Wars movie and that will certainly determine how much you enjoy the film.

Had I not read Catalyst, I wouldn't have remotely cared about the characters. Some cool easter eggs and a few actual surprises (though the CGI needs a lot of work before they start digitally recreating everything and everyone). That Vader scene nearly dragged this film kicking and screaming out of mediocrity, but the vacuous nature of the film made it a solid 6.5/10 for me.

Another viewing may help solidify a score.

10. TheVileOne Registered

Vader should've been the central antagonist of this movie.

11. Galactus123 Registered

I liked the pacing. I don't think it dragged at any point.
    Maybe when they got to the rainy planet but what happened there was great.
    I enjoyed this much more than The Force Awakens. This was a lot better than I expected.

12. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I liked it more than TFA, but that's purely a subjective thing on my part because I enjoyed the aspects of the universe that this film covered more.

13. Galactus123 Registered

I agree. I liked the planets and this movie looked really good. TFA feels a little bit bland somehow when compared to this.

Major ending spoilers!:
    I liked the ending but some things bothered me. In A New Hope Leia said that they were on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. Why would she expect Vader to believe this? They were just attacking the Empire and the ship got away.

#113 Galactus123, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  14. harlequinade The May Queen

I liked it more than TFA too, I loved TFA but then I saw OT for the first time and realized that most of TFA was really safe storytelling basically retracing the steps of previous movies

15. Sith Registered

Blue Milk

That is all..

16. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

[​IMG]

17. harlequinade The May Queen

I don't understand what you are trying to express here but yey for Winona

18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I think she looks pretty annoyed. :funny:

The movie where the most popular film character is murdered by his son and Luke Skywalker doesn't speak a word is super safe. :hehe:

19. harlequinade The May Queen

Sure but the rest of it felt very safe to me and I would not describe anything in R1 with that word. I still like TFA but let's just say South Park making fun of Abrams was spot on

20. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

So outside of two of the biggest decisions in recent cinema history, it is safe. Along with casting a female lead, and no new while male hero. Okay.

Safe should be the new code word for quality filmmaking. Star Wars is safe, Marvel is safe, Disney Animation is safe, Pixar is safe.

21. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Look I'll just say it outright. JJ was a damned fool for not using Donnie "The Messiah" Yen.

22. harlequinade The May Queen

Oh my. I say I like 2 of those SW films yet still get a mini lecture...and casting female lead there is not groundbreaking in any way maybe for SW it is but certainly not recent cinema history

23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Its not a lecture, it is showing why you saying its safe is so off base. If something is a big change in terms of Star Wars, how does that make it safe?

24. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Do you have his picture in your wallet Roose? Next to the one of Reek?

25. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

In my wallet? No of course not.

I have his likeness painted next to Reek's on the ceiling of my local church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.