Girl on bond gives judge the finger, gets 30 days in prison

It's the same as mouthing off to a cop. You could not do anything illegal or physical to them but if you say the wrong thing they can still find probable cause to haul your ass in.

It's the same as mouthing off to a cop. You could not do anything illegal or physical to them but if you say the wrong thing they can still find probable cause to haul your ass in.

This is true,, just ask Terry.. what did you say that day Terry? something like "im gonna headbutt you with my crotch"

I'm sure the defendant is a ***** but I don't understand how being a smartass warrants a month in jail.
It conveys a lack of respect to your environment, which is kind of important if you want a stable legal system and solid rule of law.

You always have to remember, no matter what, in a courtroom, your in HIS courtroom and not yours.

It's just like being a guest in someone's home. They can kick you out for breaking the rules, no matter how silly they seem.

I'm sure the defendant is a ***** but I don't understand how being a smartass warrants a month in jail.

When you are in a judge's court, whatever he/she sees fit to give and take, that is up to that judge.

This shows an utter lack of respect for the court, and she is lucky that she got only a month in jail. Of which she will probably serve about 22.

I saw this on another forum earlier today. I'm a bit blown away that pretty much the entirety of that forum was on the girl's side, while everyone here is pretty much unanimously on the judge's side.

Personally, I understand punishing her for the dropping of the f-bomb as well as the middle finger, but he shouldn't have doubled her bail for simply saying "Adios", nor should she get thirty days for simply swearing. I understand punishment or some sort, but this just seems like an overt abuse of power on the judge's part.

Is the girl in the right? Not at all. I don't agree with how she acted. However, doubling her bond was a little much, but probably more appropriate for her second offense. Thirty days is ridiculous.

I saw this on another forum earlier today. I'm a bit blown away that pretty much the entirety of that forum was on the girl's side, while everyone here is pretty much unanimously on the judge's side.

Personally, I understand punishing her for the dropping of the f-bomb as well as the middle finger, but he shouldn't have doubled her bail for simply saying "Adios", nor should she get thirty days for simply swearing. I understand punishment or some sort, but this just seems like an overt abuse of power on the judge's part.

Is the girl in the right? Not at all. I don't agree with how she acted. However, doubling her bond was a little much, but probably more appropriate for her second offense. Thirty days is ridiculous.

The "Adios" was basically like a spit in the face. The whole time he's warning her to check her behavior and smarten up. He's letting her know her situation is not a game. Yet she keeps maintaining the tone of somebody hanging out in a high school hallway and not facing a judge in a court room.

The fact that he was nice enough to progress things they way he did should've been enough for her not to basically mock him in the end with the cutesy "Adios". Contempt of court is contempt of court and examples must be made. I've seen people go in for less when it comes to that.

Basically the younger you are, the more apt you are to be on the chick's side. If you're a kid, you have to do something short of murder before it registers as "bad."

The "Adios" was basically like a spit in the face. The whole time he's warning her to check her behavior and smarten up. He's letting her know her situation is not a game. Yet she keeps maintaining the tone of somebody hanging out in a high school hallway and not facing a judge in a court room.

The fact that he was nice enough to progress things they way he did should've been enough for her not to basically mock him in the end with the cutesy "Adios". Contempt of court is contempt of court and examples must be made. I've seen people go in for less when it comes to that.

Being rude should not be a criminal offense.

Yeah, and that's absolutely reprehensible behavior from a cop. The police shouldn't be able to arrest someone just because they don't like their manners.

Too many people today think being rude is something to be proud of.

Being rude should not be a criminal offense.

Well it is also common sense that if you're facing a judge in a courtroom you should be always be respectful. So if you catch jail time for being in contempt of the court that's pretty much on you. Nobody asked you to be an idiot.

Too many people today think being rude is something to be proud of.

I don't think it's something to be proud of, I just don't think it should be considered a criminal offense. Being rude isn't good, but sending someone to prison for not showing you respect is worse.

Well it is also common sense that if you're facing a judge in a courtroom you should be always be respectful. So if you catch jail time for being in contempt of the court that's pretty much on you. Nobody asked you to be an idiot.

That doesn't make what he did right or a reasonable use of his power. Nobody asked him to abuse his power over something petty.

Last edited:
That doesn't make what he did right or a reasonable use of his power. Nobody asked him to abuse his power over something petty.

He didn't abuse his power. He exercised his legal right as a judge. Whether or not you or I think it's fair is irrelevant because it is law. You can't disrespect a judge continously in a court room and expect to leave unscathed.

If it had been abuse of power he would've put down the hammer much earlier. Instead he was actually pretty patient with her and put up with a lot of nonsense up to that point that he technically shouldn't even have to put up with. Many other judges would've sent her on her way with more punishment much earlier than he did. If anything he was pretty lenient.

If people have gotten put away for even "pettier" forms of contempt by judges in the past I don't see how this is shocking so many people. That's how the US court houses operate.

I don't think it's something to be proud of, I just don't think it should be considered a criminal offense. Being rude isn't good, but sending someone to prison for not showing you respect is worse.
And that mentality is why we have people like her and others in the world that think doing that in a judges court is ok. Oh, its just her being rude. Nothing big, it is those small things, that lead to young people growing up to be less than stellar citizens. Your attitude is a part, very small part mind you, but IMO, part of the problem.

In her case, if you think that him reprimanding her rather than giving her the time he did would even slightly sink you are extremely naive.

He didn't abuse his power. He exercised his legal right as a judge. Whether or not you or I think it's fair is irrelevant because it is law. You can't disrespect a judge continously in a court room and expect to leave unscathed.

That is completely untrue. The fact that it is law makes it being unfair even more relevant.

Also, the fact that it's his legal right doesn't mean it isn't an abuse of power. That's what an abuse of power is, using a legal right that you have but you shouldn't use.

And that mentality is why we have people like her and others in the world that think doing that in a judges court is ok. Oh, its just her being rude. Nothing big, it is those small things, that lead to young people growing up to be less than stellar citizens. Your attitude is a part, very small part mind you, but IMO, part of the problem.

Please elaborate on that. Especially what "less than stellar citizens" means and why thinking that it's not okay to send people to prison for being rude enables that.

In her case, if you think that him reprimanding her rather than giving her the time he did would even slightly sink you are extremely naive.

Why is that naive?

You are worried about "abuse of power".....what about her "abuse of rudeness and stupidity"?

She is in custody for some crime....she appears in court before a judge...and acts like an idiot. He reprimands her verbally by reminding her this is not a joke, it's serious business, and she ignores that and continues to be rude. He then adds $5000 to her fine...does she take the hint (or as some would say, the 2x4 upside her stupid head)...no, she gets worse. She flips him off and tells him to F himself. What did she expect then? Did she think he would reverse the fine and beg her forgiveness (if so, she is an even bigger idiot than most people are giving her credit for)...no, she showed a total lack of respect or caring for the court (which means at that point any minor penalty would be ignored by her) so he gave her 30 days in jail (enough time to help clean the drugs from her system and help her think about what she had done) and thus he got her attention (much like a 2x4 to the head).

And to those that say - But this America.... - she should be very thankful for that...for in many other countries I'm fairly certain that telling the judge to F off will get you a lot worse than a month in jail.

I don't think anyone is justifying being rude or acting like an ******* to the judge. But this judge was acting like a petty child in the clip himself. It was a pretty blatant abuse of power to double the girl's bail over her being ditsy and, most likely, stupid. I don't think some sort of punishment for dropping the f-bomb is wrong, but upping her bail over her being a moron is pretty ridiculous.

Haha - Enjoy your jail time, dummy!

I absolutely loved what that judge did. She thought it was all a funny little joke until he got real serious on her ***. Wiped that goofy smile right away.

You are worried about "abuse of power".....what about her "abuse of rudeness and stupidity"?

Abuse of power is worse. Judges have power over the lives and freedoms of people. "Rudeness and stupidity" don't have anywhere near that kind of impact, not in this context. How is it not worse?

She is in custody for some crime....she appears in court before a judge...and acts like an idiot. He reprimands her verbally by reminding her this is not a joke, it's serious business, and she ignores that and continues to be rude. He then adds $5000 to her fine...does she take the hint (or as some would say, the 2x4 upside her stupid head)...no, she gets worse. She flips him off and tells him to F himself. What did she expect then? Did she think he would reverse the fine and beg her forgiveness (if so, she is an even bigger idiot than most people are giving her credit for)...no, she showed a total lack of respect or caring for the court (which means at that point any minor penalty would be ignored by her) so he gave her 30 days in jail (enough time to help clean the drugs from her system and help her think about what she had done) and thus he got her attention (much like a 2x4 to the head).

And I don't think that's reasonable. I don't think mouthing off or giving people the finger should be punishable by 30 days in prison. No one should be able to put someone in prison for saying things they don't like.

And to those that say - But this America.... - she should be very thankful for that...for in many other countries I'm fairly certain that telling the judge to F off will get you a lot worse than a month in jail.

Just because other countries do worse doesn't mean we can't do better.

And "This is America" means we have a higher standard we're supposed to hold ourselves to. Part of that standard means not being a country where you can send people to prison for saying things you don't like.

Why is that naive?

Being arrested didn't make her take things seriously.

Being stripped of her clothes and having to wear an orange prison jumpsuit didn't make her take things seriously.

Being fined $5000 didn't make her take things seriously.

Being fined another $5000 didn't make her take things seriously.

So after what would shame and hurt most people financially didn't make her take things seriously....the next step was jail time. That she took seriously.

Being stripped of her clothes and having to wear an orange prison jumpsuit didn't make her take things seriously.

So after what would shame and hurt most people financially didn't make her take things seriously....the next step was jail time. That she took seriously.

Is it really that important? Important enough that 30 days in prison is reasonable?

I'm not shocked at all to see which sides posters take.

So what? It's not his job to make her take things seriously. She probably will in ten years when she finds herself in there for the twentieth time for a much harsher offense.

That is completely untrue. The fact that it is law makes it being unfair even more relevant.

Also, the fact that it's his legal right doesn't mean it isn't an abuse of power. That's what an abuse of power is, using a legal right that you have but you shouldn't use.

Please elaborate on that. Especially what "less than stellar citizens" means and why thinking that it's not okay to send people to prison for being rude enables that.

Why is that naive?

Less than stellar meaning, those that do not have respect for others, work ethic, gender respect, respect of age, respect of authority just a few things I can mention....

The next two parts I guess I can put in one....

Jail is not Prison....they are two different things.

He DID HAVE LEGAL RIGHT A finding of contempt of court may result from a failure to obey a lawful order of a court, showing disrespect for the judge, disruption of the proceedings through poor behaviour, or publication of material deemed likely to jeopardize a fair trial. A judge may impose sanctions such as a fine or jail. Just because YOU don't think he should use the law, doesn't mean that he shouldn't.

Thinking that the judge overstepped his boundaries as a judge is naive...he had the law behind him, .....I can assure you that wasn't the first time something like that happened, and it wasn't the first time someone got jail time for it. People cuss out the judges all the time, and they will get some time for it. I am very doubtful she will serve the entire time, a letter of apology to the judge (which her lawyer will probably talk her into doing, will have her out sooner than later)

It is very much like a young man I saw who was found to have drugs at school, the police officer pulled him out of class and directed him to "assume the position" for lack of a better term at the moment so that he could be searched further. Was not a major cavity search, etc....we knew where the drugs were on the young man...he (the young man) told the officer that he had no right to do what he was doing, the officer said that yes he did and to turn back around so that he could finish the search of his pockets. The young man didn't do it, the officer asked him again, the young man said no....the officer asked him again, and let him know that if he did not comply he would be forced to comply, the young man said no once and again and tried to walk off, the officer proceeded to put the young man on the floor and handcuffed him. The young man screaming the entire time that the officer was "abusing his power"....it was kind of comical. That young man was naive of the law, and his rights as a student....he suffered the consequences. :yay: "Don't taze me bro..."

But, hey....keep "fightin' the man".....*fist in air*

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"