Girl on bond gives judge the finger, gets 30 days in prison

Abuse of power is worse. Judges have power over the lives and freedoms of people. "Rudeness and stupidity" don't have anywhere near that kind of impact, not in this context. How is it not worse?

And I don't think that's reasonable. I don't think mouthing off or giving people the finger should be punishable by 30 days in prison. No one should be able to put someone in prison for saying things they don't like.

Just because other countries do worse doesn't mean we can't do better.

And "This is America" means we have a higher standard we're supposed to hold ourselves to. Part of that standard means not being a country where you can send people to prison for saying things you don't like.

I have to ask....have you ever spent any time in a courtroom? I have, and I have witnessed a Judge's abuse of power....and this was far from it.

And as too whether or not bad talk or fingers should be a jailable offense.....I remember back in the 60's seeing a little black girl walking to her new previously all white school and hearing what the so called "grownups" were shouting at her and what gestures they were making at her.....so I say yes, there are times when bad talk and gestures should be a jailable offense.

So what? It's not his job to make her take things seriously. She probably will in ten years when she finds herself in there for the twentieth time for a much harsher offense.

Ever think that the fact that she has a month to reflect on her stupidity and possibly mature from the experience could motivate her to prevent herself from returning to jail or having a harsher offense in the future?

So what? It's not his job to make her take things seriously. She probably will in ten years when she finds herself in there for the twentieth time for a much harsher offense.
And maybe now...she will make no more offences because she spent a month in jail for being an idiot and she now knows better.

Ever think that the fact that she has a month to reflect on her stupidity and possibly mature from the experience could motivate her to prevent herself from returning to jail or having a harsher offense in the future?

Possibly, yes. But given the way she took the news of getting thirty days, no.

Nope.

Me neither. It's like Groundhog day.....

Ned Ryerson?!

Less than stellar meaning, those that do not have respect for others, work ethic, gender respect, respect of age, respect of authority just a few things I can mention....

And how does holding the opinion that being rude shouldn't result in jail time enable those things?

The next two parts I guess I can put in one....

Jail is not Prison....they are two different things.

He DID HAVE LEGAL RIGHT to do what he did, it is called "contempt of court" which is... A finding of contempt of court may result from a failure to obey a lawful order of a court, showing disrespect for the judge, disruption of the proceedings through poor behaviour, or publication of material deemed likely to jeopardize a fair trial. A judge may impose sanctions such as a fine or jail.

He chose jail....

I didn't say he didn't have a legal right.

Thinking that the judge overstepped his boundaries as a judge is naive...

Why?

It is very much like a young man I saw who was found to have drugs at school, the police officer pulled him out of class and directed him to "assume the position" for lack of a better term at the moment so that he could be searched further. Was not a major cavity search, etc....we knew where the drugs were on the young man...he (the young man) told the officer that he had no right to do what he was doing, the officer said that yes he did and to turn back around so that he could finish the search of his pockets. The young man didn't do it, the officer asked him again, the young man said no....the officer asked him again, and let him know that if he did not comply he would be forced to comply, the young man said no once and again and tried to walk off, the officer proceeded to put the young man on the floor and handcuffed him. The young man screaming the entire time that the officer was "abusing his power"....it was kind of comical. That young man was naive of the law, and his rights as a student....he suffered the consequences. :yay: "Don't taze me bro..."

I don't really see the two things as being especially similar. The judge had more options as to how to deal with his situation than the officer you mention had to deal with his, I think.

And I think there's something os a miscommunication in this discourse: You talk about that student being naive of the law and his rights, and you mentioned earlier that the judge had the legal authority to do what he did. My argument has never been that the judge did not have the legal authority to do what he did, he absolutely does, my point is that what he did was morally wrong and a use of his legal powers in a way that he shouldn't use them.

Also, clear something up for me: are you comparing that student to the girl in the story or are you comparing that student to me? That was unclear to me.

But, hey....keep "fightin' the man".....*fist in air*

I think that was a very rude and condescending thing to say.

I have to ask....have you ever spent any time in a courtroom?

Yes.

I have, and I have witnessed a Judge's abuse of power....and this was far from it.

There have been far worse abuses of power, but I still think this was an abuse of power.

And as too whether or not bad talk or fingers should be a jailable offense.....I remember back in the 60's seeing a little black girl walking to her new previously all white school and hearing what the so called "grownups" were shouting at her and what gestures they were making at her.....so I say yes, there are times when bad talk and gestures should be a jailable offense.

You're probably right in that situation. But this is not that situation.

Forgive her. Once she goes into teacher mode, she can't stop herself from talking down to others.:o

I just think it's very hypocritical in a discussion where her argument is that rudeness deserves a month in jail.

As a man who does not have much respect for the law or cops or judges, I'm going with the judge on this one. Well not the adios sentence but with the 30 days. What's the bg deal about 30 days? Wd you think would happen when you flip off a judge? I think it's worth it personally. I'll do 30 days if it means I can flip off the judge

I just think it's very hypocritical in a discussion where her argument is that rudeness deserves a month in jail.

Rudeness doesn't, contempt of court can and did.... : )

She can appeal it, these things have gone both ways in appellate court.

As a man who does not have much respect for the law or cops or judges, I'm going with the judge on this one. Well not the adios sentence but with the 30 days. What's the bg deal about 30 days? Wd you think would happen when you flip off a judge? I think it's worth it personally. I'll do 30 days if it means I can flip off the judge

See you on the news.

I think that was a very rude and condescending thing to say.

Oh calm down....your posts always come off as "I'm fightin' the system, fightin' the power, fightin' the man...." nothing wrong with it, that is just how they read to me.

As far as my example, I am just pointing out that young people today, don't really realize that you push the law only so far, and then it pushes back. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Forgive her. Once she goes into teacher mode, she can't stop herself from talking down to others.:o

Well, and its the Hitler complex as well, I'm only 5'2"....:csad: :cwink:

Oh calm down....your posts always come off as "I'm fightin' the system, fightin' the power, fightin' the man...." nothing wrong with it, that is just how they read to me.

That's not really where I'm coming from.

As far as my example, I am just pointing out that young people today, don't really realize that you push the law only so far, and then it pushes back. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Okay.

I don't think the law always should push back, though. That's my whole point.

If I was a judge I would do the same thing. If I see any type of disrespect it's contempt of court. That includes dirty looks, slang terms , and general stupidity. Respect my authority!

This all seems very simple to me. The girl wasn't taking her sentencing seriously. She was very flippant about it. If she doesn't take her punishment seriously, she won't learn her lesson. She was bragging about how much cash she could make off of her jewelry. She was basically going out of her way to say that a $5,000 fine would be nothing to her.

So the judge upped the fine. The advantages of doing so? Maybe she'll now take her punishment seriously. The 30 days in jail were simply for contempt of court, which she certainly showed in her reaction.

Why is this really even a story? Its the same as being under arrest then acting a fool which only digs you in a deeper hole. We see this stuff all the time,,,, for example: if a guy commits a crime then tries to flee while being arrested its an additional charge. Why is this such a big ordeal? Because she did this in front of a judge? that happens all the time.

Just trying to figure out why this particular case would stand out from the rest.. which by the way is a common occurence.

Basically, she wasn't taking her situation seriously and the judge helped her with that. That smug little look flew right off her face.

Basically, she wasn't taking her situation seriously and the judge helped her with that. That smug little look flew right off her face.

Yeah but this happens on a daily basis... Why is this particular case getting so much attention? .. + I wonder who or why released this video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"