Girl Scout Sells Cookies Outside Medical Marijuana Dispensary

I believe in the beneficial nature of cannabis, too :cwink:

I'm not so much concerned with the type of people that frequent the establishment, but the danger surrounding it. I realize there are dangers everywhere, and you can't protect kids from everything. Yet that location just seems not safe. It's certainly good business, but I don't think it's safe for a variety of reasons.

I mean, yea I'm inclined to agree to an extent but I just feel like its basically just as dangerous as any place else. It's like that old argument with flying being safer than driving, statistically. I mean, the robberies would most likely happen at night unless its an armed robbery in broad daylight. Which, I'm sure has happened but is it more than any other type of establishment that gets robbed frequently?

What exactly are you insinuating with that last point? I can't believe that you would judge these parents so harshly you think their child will fail in life. Based on the fact that they let her do this in this first place, I would say the kid will end up a well rounded, intelligent human being.
I'm not insinuating anything. I am blatantly saying if the parent's techniques fail then this girl will probably wind up receiving some hospitality services from the state where she resides, CA. I hope she turns out well-adjusted, but if she doesn't then she'll join the slew of other kids with terrible parents.

I mean, yea I'm inclined to agree to an extent but I just feel like its basically just as dangerous as any place else. It's like that old argument with flying being safer than driving, statistically. I mean, the robberies would most likely happen at night unless its an armed robbery in broad daylight. Which, I'm sure has happened but is it more than any other type of establishment that gets robbed frequently?
There was a time last year where I heard about dispensaries being robbed nearly once a week on the local news. I live in CA, so these were big stories because advocates against legalization and medicinal MJ want the dispensaries shut down for safety. They can be magnets for criminals. For instance, most dispensaries are cash only because they do not accept CCs because CC companies won't service them.

Again...I realize danger is everywhere, but bringing a child into that sort of environment seems very risky.

Last edited:
You are correct, I keep forgetting how they cash only businesses. I've heard banks won't even do business with most of them. From my understanding, they are trying to get that all sorted out now and trying to make banks feel more comfortable taking in that revenue.

I have a friend who is big with NORML. He had a dispensary, but he said it was so difficult to run it properly because services that are available to other businesses are denied to dispensaries because they are quasi-legal.

I'm not insinuating anything. I am blatantly saying if the parent's techniques fail then this girl will probably wind up receiving some hospitality services from the state where she resides, CA. I hope she turns out well-adjusted, but if she doesn't then she'll join the slew of other kids with terrible parents.

I'm really not seeing why you bothered to make this comment. They're not terrible parents because you disagree with one decision they made.

I'm really not seeing why you bothered to make this comment. They're not terrible parents because you disagree with one decision they made.
I hope they're not terrible parents, but this one decision they made put them in the news.... Let's hope none of their other parental decisions do that for them or their child...lol

Not like they made the entire country believe their child was in a huge runaway balloon or anything. Hahaha remember that ****? Hahahaha wonder how that kid is doing? Lmao

I hope they're not terrible parents, but this one decision they made put them in the news.... Let's hope none of their other parental decisions do that for them or their child...lol

The more parents who talk opening to their kids about drugs the better.

Not like they made the entire country believe their child was in a huge runaway balloon or anything. Hahaha remember that ****? Hahahaha wonder how that kid is doing? Lmao
:oldrazz: OMG...I forgot about that kid. I wonder how he is doing too? LOLOLOLOL

The more parents who talk opening to their kids about drugs the better.
I'm not saying them talking openly to their child about drug abuse and addiction is bad. I just don't think them bringing their child to a MJ dispensary was a way to begin that dialogue.

Well honestly, what better way to bring it up? Show the reality of it. I'd tell my kid that no matter what their teachers and whoever else says this is a place where people get medicine. Not where they to to get loaded

Well honestly, what better way to bring it up? Show the reality of it. I'd tell my kid that no matter what their teachers and whoever else says this is a place where people get medicine. Not where they to to get loaded
That's a great question and I think every parent will have a different answer. Again, I don't think them having the conversation is wrong. I just think the child in front of the dispensary is not a good idea and not the right conversation starter.

How about this for a compromise...When they can sell medicinal marijuana at any pharmacy, Rite-Aid or Walgreens then there shouldn't be a problem selling GS cookies in front of those establishments. As it is... medical dispensaries are frequently raided by police (federal and state), and robbed by criminals because the dispensaries are considered on the fringe...if that makes sense.

So are convenience stores and gas stations. Would you have any problem with her selling the cookies outside of those establishments?

And why does this matter in terms of the girl? She's in broad daylight, on a busy corner where there are plenty of people around. It's not like her life is in danger. So then what? Because it's marijuana smokers she's selling to? It's not the same as selling cookies to hopped up junkies on meth or heroine. It's medicinal. Her parents can explain the difference to her (which they probably did), but since she's 13, she's most likely well aware of drugs and their effects.

All in all, great idea by her to sell her product. Perfectly legal AND perfectly safe. Yay!

Agreed. Even if robbers or cops hit the place in broad daylight, it's unlikely they're going to be spraying bullets on the street. She was as safe as anyone can be in a public place.

She's on the sidewalk, odds are she'd get hit by a car before getting waylaid by robbers. Should kids not be let out on public streets at all?

Excellent point.

So are convenience stores and gas stations. Would you have any problem with her selling the cookies outside of those establishments?
In what world are convenience stores and gas stations considered "fringe" businesses?

Again, I'll quote what I said earlier about what makes MJ dispensaries different.

There was a time last year where I heard about dispensaries being robbed nearly once a week on the local news. I live in CA, so these were big stories because advocates against legalization and medicinal MJ want the dispensaries shut down for safety. They can be magnets for criminals. For instance, most dispensaries are cash only because they do not accept CCs because CC companies won't service them.

Again...I realize danger is everywhere, but bringing a child into that sort of environment seems very risky.

Convenience stores and gas stations are not fringe businesses but they get robbed frequently anyway.

That's a great question and I think every parent will have a different answer. Again, I don't think them having the conversation is wrong. I just think the child in front of the dispensary is not a good idea and not the right conversation starter.

Ok, well, you're working on hypotheticals here. Maybe they did have a talk with her that led to this decision to capitalize of weed munchies. That seems more likely than them being all like "Well, Little Susie, today we are gonna sell cookies in front of this store but you are in no way allowed to know what goes on in there!!!!" Lol

Ok, well, you're working on hypotheticals here. Maybe they did have a talk with her that led to this decision to capitalize of weed munchies. That seems more likely than them being all like "Well, Little Susie, today we are gonna sell cookies in front of this store but you are in no way allowed to know what goes on in there!!!!" Lol
Ya know....I think that may have been how it went. I mean...how else would this 13-year old girl know that MJ causes munchies? I guess that's a common thing in movies and TV shows, but I don't remember having that specific knowledge when I was 13...lol :woot:

Lol I was already toking up at 13. My dad is a lifelong pot head too so I was raised around it and the first time he caught me stealing some from him when I was 13 he sat me down and had a talk with me. Lol it was pretty humorous cuz he's all "Well, I guess you know I smoke pot." And I was like "Dude, I've known for a while now. It's some good **** too!" Lmao

Lol I was already toking up at 13. My dad is a lifelong pot head too so I was raised around it and the first time he caught me stealing some from him when I was 13 he sat me down and had a talk with me. Lol it was pretty humorous cuz he's all "Well, I guess you know I smoke pot." And I was like "Dude, I've known for a while now. It's some good **** too!" Lmao
Wow....I didn't take my first toke until I was in college. I guess I'm not as hip as I thought. :woot:

Your story reminds me of one my friend was telling me when she caught her niece smoking pot. LOLOLOL...she asked where did you get it? And her niece was like from the shoebox under your bed...lolololol :woot:

More likely because there's no advantage to selling outside one.
Again, I'm not saying what she did wasn't advantageous. Obviously the chickadee sold out in less than an hour...or something like that, but I just don't think that's the safest environment due to the others things I stated earlier. Yet, if her parents think that's wise and she seems mature enough for it then that's on them. I wouldn't condone it or recommend it, but that's America for you. You can own gun and raise your kids how you want! :woot:

Lol I wouldn't say it has anything to do with being hip or not lol. It's just a normal part of life for tons and tons of people around here I guess. I've just always been around it

That gave voice to an unformed part of this. In addition to safety and chemical concerns, I wouldn't want my child's initial impression of marijuana to be merely something medicinal. A child will have time to figure out the treatment benefits later, but the dangers of the drug culture are what is at the forefront in a teen's life. When that child is offered zombie matter, sherm, or something of the like at a party, there should be zero confusion about what he or she is facing.

As parents, we have a lot of preparations to do when it comes to the pitfalls that can derail a child's life not with a series of bad decisions, but with only one. Drugs used unnecessarily or improperly, even the legal ones, are the fast track to losing control of your life.

My oldest daughter once asked me why I've never consumed alcohol ( nor do I let anyone bring it in my home ) even though she knows other adults like it. I've always told her that she's going to regularly hear and read stories in her life where someone got drunk or high and injured themselves or someone else. She's going to hear and read stories where someone didn't take the power and dangers of drugs seriously and erroneously thought they could use them simply for fun. I tell her that every time she hears one of these stories, she's hearing the answer to the question she asked me.

I wouldn't want my child's initial impression of marijuana to be merely something medicinal.

I can't seem to write anything about this right now that isn't overly aggressive and denying you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"