Gotham City

Well, Reeves did hint that the world will be enhanced with CGI and whatnot.

kSDsf2p.jpg

DTZj5Fe.jpg

REXz5Gs.jpg

U6gbxt6.jpg

qWGMUMi.jpg

FYzcZxv.jpg

IXl3fF8.jpg
Bah Gawd

Not gonna lie, one of the biggest reasons I’m looking forward to a new trailer is to get (hopefully) a better look at the city.

FBrM8J-VQAMHQMB

Let’s talk about the Reeves-verse version of this iconic city, shall we?

Reeves dropped our first glimpse of his take on of the cape crusader’s iconic home city yesterday, and it’s already got folks buzzing about how much character and personality it has compared previous iterations. I loving what I’m seeing so far and I think it’s fair to say we’ll see in the new trailer. Discuss your thoughts!

Edit: Whoops looks like a thread for this was already created. Can mods like @DKDetective or @Doctor Jones merge this thread with that one, please?

Last edited:
Arkham Knight seems like a major influence on this movie's Gotham.
I don't know. I think it is moreso that they draw from similar influences. Reeves' Gotham reminds me more of Gotham from Year One:
ZKzNT0pz5JsnlEiGzcaUhqo9dvk04Az9uN6boE8aSQOuGFNnySVUv3E6q93saFAmdWEvq79jm5-Q=s1600

It's got that rough 70s/80s New York vibe with the neon and architecture, with some of the neon being replaced with LCD screens due to the more modern setting.

Since there are talks about the value of how the city should look, I decided to locate a thread for it instead of starting a new one.

City looks great in this one so far, I like the design and aesthetics.

I feel like this version of Gotham city, as with the batsuit, is what Nolan tried to do, especially in Rises, but executed properly. Basically taking different parts of many cities, stitching them together as one gothic nightmare. In Nolan’s case he didn’t have the commitment Matt Reeves did, so Rises felt less like Gotham and more like flipped NYC, Pittsburg and LA. This version has just as many cities stitched together but feels cohesive.

I feel like this version of Gotham city, as with the batsuit, is what Nolan tried to do, especially in Rises, but executed properly. Basically taking different parts of many cities, stitching them together as one gothic nightmare. In Nolan’s case he didn’t have the commitment Matt Reeves did, so Rises felt less like Gotham and more like flipped NYC, Pittsburg and LA. This version has just as many cities stitched together but feels cohesive.

Nolan was trying to do Battinsons Bat Suit?

What do you mean ?

Last edited:
This film uses a lot more real life locations than 89. I would say it’s a middle ground between Burton and Nolan.

I can't recall, but wasn't Returns shot entirely inside a studio lot? It feels like the whole film takes place in Gotham Plaza.

I can't recall, but wasn't Returns shot entirely inside a studio lot? It feels like the whole film takes place in Gotham Plaza.

I'm not sure but it definitely feels like it, one of the things I dislike about that movie. Devito bumps into one of the headstones and moves it at one point.

I honestly never minded the look of Gotham in Returns.

Yep, me neither.
In fact, I'm very found of old school movie look. I never mind "feeling" the set or seeing a beautiful matte painting in the background, etc. Maybe it's the arty-fartsy part in me, but I can easily trade real location, realism for something more "staged" if it enhance the theatricality, and so also for me, the escapism.
And when it comes to Gotham, I'm definitely one of those who doesn't need it to look exactly like an actual city of today.

This movie’s Gotham is a second coming of Anton Furst IMO.

Absolutely! I'm so happy we're back to that good old gothic and industrial look. These two adjectives have always defined Gotham for me (well, and "art deco" too, because I can't get enough of Timm's Gotham either aha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"