Gotham City

I hope it’s not a case where they’re cutting back on Glasgow/London and shooting in Chicago instead. I have no idea how it is in either place as far as covid is concerned, but I hope Chicago was always in the works. IF that is true of course.

From what little we saw of the actual architecture of Gotham in this trailer, I'm really intrigued. In terms of atmosphere and mood, it's already won me over. I've seen a lot of people point to Fincher's Seven as the closest cinematic reference point for the atmosphere in this trailer, but I was never particularly a big fan of that movie. To me, while this does seem to owe a little something to that film, it still mainly feels like its own beautifully grim and oppressive thing. For some reason, I was getting the same vibes I get from '90s techno-thrillers like Strange Days.

Atmosphere and the look of the city are excellent in the trailer. Interiors with tall old-fashioned windows and glass rooftops like in the scene with Catwoman. Feels very Year One and Long Halloween.

Outskirts are dark, grim and soaked. Reminded me of Heavy Rain.

Batcave isn't a cave anymore. But still looks interesting. Hopefully bats are there still.

I hope it’s not a case where they’re cutting back on Glasgow/London and shooting in Chicago instead. I have no idea how it is in either place as far as covid is concerned, but I hope Chicago was always in the works. IF that is true of course.

Chicago: and where did that bring you? Back to me.

Gotham has never been fully captured properly cinematically to me besides some of Burton’s design choices. Nolan dropped the ball because BB and TDK were clearly Chicago with no attempt to change anything and for some odd reason, decided to make TDKR set in New York. Judging from the trailer, The Batman’s Gotham looks so gritty and dark which I’m glad Reeves has already said he doesn’t want the viewer to pinpoint one city in particular.

Really hoping this still manages to keep the Glasgow aesthetic. Just googling random pictures of the area, I love the idea of that being Gotham.

Same.

I am so goddamn tired of Gotham just being Chicago and Pittsburgh. It needs to look other wordly, brooding, a very unfriendly city. Some place you've don't want be.

Reeves said they're using the base gothic architecture of European cities and then adding to it with CGI. The city shots we see in the trailer might not even be complete!

Begins and the first two Burton films are the only portrayals of Gotham that really stood out IMO. I'm loving what I'm seeing in this so far though, because of how timeless, old-fashioned and gritty everything looks not to mention it feels atmospheric as hell. We haven't even seen that much it, but it does look very comic-booky and I love it, because that's the kind of Gotham I wanted to see.

Part of me wants a small cameo to Roman Sionis as Pre-Black Mask for he can make the perfect mob boss rival to Colin Farrell's Penguin. Then again we need someone expandable like Maronis for Penguin to rise.

Part of me wants a small cameo to Roman Sionis as Pre-Black Mask for he can make the perfect mob boss rival to Colin Farrell's Penguin. Then again we need someone expandable like Maronis for Penguin to rise.

I was kind of let down by Black Mask/Sionis in Birds of Prey. I see what they were going for, but still sort of underwhelming.

I give Reeves props for making use of multiple UK cities for Gotham. Glasgow, Liverpool and London have all been used so far. Nolan and Burton also filmed in some of these cities and others in the UK but never really made the most of the various locations.

It would be cool if they used the interiors of Eltham Palace in South London as a location. The Art Deco design would make a cool home for a mob boss like Penguin or Carmine Falcone

just watching the trailer (again and again), gotham city feels the closest to the comics here, imo.

it's not the gothic german expressionism of burton.
and it's not chicago and pittsburgh, from the nolan movies. lol.
^ i liked both of these, because they fit the story and tone their directors were conveying.

but reeve's gotham feels like a foreboding city with a lot of history and heavy european influences.
like lot of the city was built during the victorian era.

it looks like the gotham from the comics i read from the 90s-2000s.

Now that we know they’re shooting in Chicago, I really hope the different locales kind of blend together seamlessly. I just keep flashing back to The Dark Knight Rises, which didn’t feel seamless at all.

Now that we know they’re shooting in Chicago, I really hope the different locales kind of blend together seamlessly. I just keep flashing back to The Dark Knight Rises, which didn’t feel seamless at all.

I think it will be fine and this was probably intended all along. During the Fandom panel, Reeves made clear that his vision for Gotham is to combine the older, grittier street level architecture of British cities like Glasgow, London, and Liverpool and use CGI and other techniques to add the verticality and more modern skyscrapers of an American metropolis. I trust Reeves to use all of the tools in his kit to blend the different locations together into a seamless whole. Nolan's different location shooting in TDKR was jarring because he didn't use any effects to help blend together the different locales or to create cohesive vision for Gotham as they did for Begins.

Nevertheless, it appears that the location for the chase in Chicago seems pretty consistent with the other shooting locations:

Lots of steel girders and concrete. Very early 20th century industrial sort of look.

I love the posters and allusions to Hatter and/or Joker behind the scenes. Really cool world building.

Even "Flower Paradox", my first thought was a punk band featuring "pop artists" Poison Ivy, Tiger Moth & Silken Spider

[First post in 12 years on this forum lol]

Last edited:
From what little we saw of the actual architecture of Gotham in this trailer, I'm really intrigued. In terms of atmosphere and mood, it's already won me over. I've seen a lot of people point to Fincher's Seven as the closest cinematic reference point for the atmosphere in this trailer, but I was never particularly a big fan of that movie. To me, while this does seem to owe a little something to that film, it still mainly feels like its own beautifully grim and oppressive thing. For some reason, I was getting the same vibes I get from '90s techno-thrillers like Strange Days.

I agree 100%. Even the Batcave in the trailer just sort of had this almost otherworldly attitude.

kSDsf2p.jpg

DTZj5Fe.jpg

REXz5Gs.jpg

U6gbxt6.jpg

qWGMUMi.jpg

FYzcZxv.jpg

IXl3fF8.jpg

I was always partial to Philadelphia as a Gotham City double (with CGI enhancements, additional locations, etc.). I think its skyline is much less familiar to moviegoing audiences anyway.

pzd9kbkjuz101.png

DtdZui5W0AAjyJ_.jpg

sk7udSQGbw0MvLPNoMgWxYQ9wmAICa5L2LRondOG818.jpg

Ep7Zwv2.jpg

7d9ea5990e468f022767fa7e1a1dfff9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"